ADVERTISEMENT

Where is this team headed?

Nice post, thanks for comparative scores. My question: how many starters on Maryland/Rutgers would start at PSU? Then ask how many starters on PSU would start at Michigan? Finally would you trade straight up for the head coach from any of those opponents ?
I am no film analyst, expert in anyway but certainly may be shocked by the answers!

Which of those coaches have winning records vs the top ten and osu/um?

What is wrong with "the Gorilla?" Ryan Day had this to say of Schiano:

"What Greg Schiano has done for me in the last month is something I'll never forget. He is the classiest person I've ever been around in the coaching profession. The way he's handled himself, helping me along the way, counseling me on day-to-day stuff."

I consider Coach Schiano to be one of the innocent victims of the Sandusky Scandal. Did he see Sandusky with a kid? Possibly. Was it anything like what McQueary claims to have seen? Doubtful.

What is schianos record vs the top ten? 0 wins?

Penn State was outplayed by Indiana, but thanks to a muffed punt, some missed FGs, and some questionable play calling, they were able to win the game.

If you watched the Illinois game, that game was pretty evenly matched. Penn State pulled away thanks more to Illinois' ineptitude than anything else.

The offense played well against WVU, but that is about it.

I think until they embrace who they are (a defense first team that should try and control the clock and manage the game on offense), the ceiling is low. A loss to Maryland would not surprise me in the least, unfortunately.
That didn’t age well.

Preseason predictions were for 9.5 wins and that still sounds realistic. Michigan State is the only team as weak as Indiana. We should beat Maryland and Rutgers but that won't happen if the offense plays like it did the last two weeks. IMO this team could go 4-0 but could just as easily go 2-2.

The running game is a mystery. The statistics are a head scratcher. PSU is 3rd in the BiG averaging 175 yds per game rushing but it certainly doesn't feel that way. Numbers for Singleton & Allen are down. How much were our rushing averages propped up by playing Delaware & UMass? Early opponents gave our WRs a cushion but not so with OSU & Indiana. They played a lot of cover 0 and cover 1 and dared PSU to beat them 10+ yds downfield. That strategy seems effective until we can become more effective in the passing game.

Allar's confidence isn't good. It would help a lot of he had WRs/TEs who could make plays for him but we haven't seen much of that. Now Harrison Wallace looks to be questionable. They only thing I can think of is to put Singleton in the slot but that doesn't seem to be part of the plan. The other thing is to play fast. On PSU's last drive Allar started with a quick pass to Allen. It was quick and didn't give Indiana defenders a lot of time to react. On the slower developing plays Allar seems to wait an extra half second to make sure the receivers have created some separation. It makes me think about Clifford in the Rose Bowl. I seriously don't know where that performance came from. Quick decisions with throws into tight windows where a second hesitation could have meant an INT. It took Clifford all of 6 years to gain that confidence so maybe we're expecting too much from 19 year old Allar.

Maryland could be a challenge.
  • It's on the road
  • MD is 3rd in BiG scoring, 2nd in BiG passing.
  • I'm guessing Chop will be out again which means less pressure on Tua
  • OSU/Ind have shown how to defend PSU
  • Harrison Wallace might be out again.
It will be interesting.
They’re on a highway to hell!

Cool--we agree Sandusky is guilty
If Mike McQueary knew what makes you think others didn't? We all know how rumors get around. It's almost impossible that no one knew. They were likely under the belief that it would be handled.
Men, in particular, don't get involved in these situations as they don't want tied to it. It's not at all surprising that many that heard said nothing. And no one is going to admit know that they heard anything. They're not stupid.
No you’re the one who is stupid. McCreary was the one who saw/heard Sandusky in the shower. He goes home that night and talks to his father, a physician familiar with abuse reporting. His father asks him 3 times if he saw abuse and each time he refused to say he did. Instead of going to the police, he chooses to talk to Paterno and testified later that he told him a watered down version. Paterno reports this to his boss and then has no further involvement in whatever investigation was conducted; precisely the protocol the NCAA adopted a few months later.
Approximately 10 years earlier, Sandusky was involved in an eerily similar incident. He was investigated separately by Centre County police and DPW, the child protection agency which Spanier later was charged with failing to report this incident to. The Centre County AD did not charge Sandusky for the earlier incident. DPW has Sandusky undergo a psychological eval which concludes he fit the classic profile of a groomer. For reasons no one has ever bothered to investigate (largely because the AG who has oversight responsibility over both DPW and the Second Mile never bothered to investigate either) DPW has him undergo a second eval (over the objection over an Assistant Centre County AD) which concluded he was “harmless”. Guess which version DPW reported to PSU.
Interesting that you would claim that others must have known. The other which should have known was the Second Mile which was the source of all Sandusky’s victims. However the Second Mile continued to permit Sandusky to take kids off the premises despite being told by PSU after the second incident that he was no longer permitted to bring Second Mike kids onto PSU property.
My “favorite” claim is that Paterno should have “done more” despite no one ever saying what it is he should have done because he was “in charge” of everything that happened at PSU. When PSU administration negotiated Sandusky’s retirement package they asked Paterno for his comments, he said in writing he was okay with Sandusky being given access to PSU facilities but not okay with him bringing Second Mile kids onto campus (You can find this in one of the appendices to the Freeh report). While it is true that Paterno didn’t want kids coming into campus due to “liability concerns” (one of his kids was injured in a trampoline incident as I recall) things would have turned out far differently had the University followed Joe’s advice.

Reactions: royboy
The numbers are irrelevant to me -- just those presented earlier in this thread. I want to know what you see as being wrong with multiplying probabilities.

Let's call the probability of winning Game 1 X and Game 2 Y. How do we calculate the probability of winning both games 1 and 2 in advance of both games?

It is X x Y in advance. However, once game 1 is in the books, the probability of regarding the second game could change.

No you’re the one who is stupid. McCreary was the one who saw/heard Sandusky in the shower. He goes home that night and talks to his father, a physician familiar with abuse reporting. His father asks him 3 times if he saw abuse and each time he refused to say he did. Instead of going to the police, he chooses to talk to Paterno and testified later that he told him a watered down version. Paterno reports this to his boss and then has no further involvement in whatever investigation was conducted; precisely the protocol the NCAA adopted a few months later.
Approximately 10 years earlier, Sandusky was involved in an eerily similar incident. He was investigated separately by Centre County police and DPW, the child protection agency which Spanier later was charged with failing to report this incident to. The Centre County AD did not charge Sandusky for the earlier incident. DPW has Sandusky undergo a psychological eval which concludes he fit the classic profile of a groomer. For reasons no one has ever bothered to investigate (largely because the AG who has oversight responsibility over both DPW and the Second Mile never bothered to investigate either) DPW has him undergo a second eval (over the objection over an Assistant Centre County AD) which concluded he was “harmless”. Guess which version DPW reported to PSU.
Interesting that you would claim that others must have known. The other which should have known was the Second Mile which was the source of all Sandusky’s victims. However the Second Mile continued to permit Sandusky to take kids off the premises despite being told by PSU after the second incident that he was no longer permitted to bring Second Mike kids onto PSU property.
My “favorite” claim is that Paterno should have “done more” despite no one ever saying what it is he should have done because he was “in charge” of everything that happened at PSU. When PSU administration negotiated Sandusky’s retirement package they asked Paterno for his comments, he said in writing he was okay with Sandusky being given access to PSU facilities but not okay with him bringing Second Mile kids onto campus (You can find this in one of the appendices to the Freeh report). While it is true that Paterno didn’t want kids coming into campus due to “liability concerns” (one of his kids was injured in a trampoline incident as I recall) things would have turned out far differently had the University followed Joe’s advice.
What was this rant about? I said nothing negative about Joe. Again, people knew. People always know.

What was this rant about? I said nothing negative about Joe. Again, people knew. People always know.
Are you saying that simply because Sandusky worked with other people for so long? Or because the nature of his activities made them difficult to hide? If the former, then I have to disagree. I've worked with people for 20 years whose lives outside of work were a mystery to their co-workers, despite them being friendly and outgoing. Not everyone views work as a source for social connections.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Are you saying that simply because Sandusky worked with other people for so long? Or because the nature of his activities made them difficult to hide? If the former, then I have to disagree. I've worked with people for 20 years whose lives outside of work were a mystery to their co-workers, despite them being friendly and outgoing. Not everyone views work as a source for social connections.
Because of the nature of the activities and where they occurred. Stuff like that is never kept a secret. There's always whispers. To believe no one else knew is as naive as believing Harbaugh was unaware.

If someone you worked with witnessed something about a co-worker to the level of what MM saw others would know. It's impossible to believe otherwise. Not saying you would know but someone would.

Because of the nature of the activities and where they occurred. Stuff like that is never kept a secret. There's always whispers. To believe no one else knew is as naive as believing Harbaugh was unaware.

If someone you worked with witnessed something about a co-worker to the level of what MM saw others would know. It's impossible to believe otherwise. Not saying you would know but someone would.
Lots of crimes were committed were people ”don’t know.”

Who knew?
According to Lando lots of players, coaches, and administrators knew. Dad & Dranov knew. People at TSM knew too. That's how it is with these things. They had to know.

Last edited:
They must have all got together at some point to coordinate their consistent stories and make sure that nobody ratted them out.
Ratted out for what? Talk and rumors are just that but people knew. People ALWAYS know. It's okay--most wouldn't know what to do and would be trusting those higher up to handle it correctly.

I get pretty confused when I see King playing so far off the WRs he covers. He is supposedly a 1st round draft pick and he plays soft man quite a bit.

I understand that he is doing what the scheme calls for, but I have a hard time also saying he got abused when he's playing the scheme. Any WR is going to catch a 3 yard hitch when the CB is 7 yards off the LoS AND back pedals at the snap.

Even Indianas big pass plays weren't against him. The 90 yarder was a switch off where Wheatley had his eyes on the QB. He also got blocked in the back (I think that should have made it a 30 yard gain instead of a TD). Then you have the Dixon corner blitz where nobody rotated over (somebody missed the call, not sure who though). And then the post where Hardy gets beat and Ellis hits him instead of the WR. Talk about a player who the talent just passed him by, Ellis went from taking snaps at CB as a true freshman to moved to safety and his time has dwindled ever since.
It was clearly a block in the back.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT