ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Like the other fellas above, I like the trade. SS was a black hole last year and Santana was a mistake. Hoskins goes to his natural position, it buys time to develop a SS in the system. Not sure what to do with Hernandez, sounds like he’ll be too hard to move.

I’d like to get that LHP and they need help at C.

It’s very interesting. I suspect Harper knows where he is going or where he prefers to go. What is critical for Boras to manage though is to keep the Phillies involved to help push the market even if Harper doesn’t want Philly. However, Philly dropping out removes a big piece from the game Boras is playing. If I were Klentack, I’d push the issue HARD. It really works to their benefit. If Boras wants to slow play the process, then bail. You can always go back in late and it’s possible that if the numbers aren’t quite there and there are fewer teams involved at the end than Boras wants, you cut a slightly better deal late.

Gabe wants Harper, I’m really not sure about Manny to be honest. I’d love to see Realmuto in combo with Harper but Jeter prefers to not trade Realmuto in the division (which makes zero sense to me). The Marlins aren’t contending for awhile. If someone in your division steps up, Jeter is silly to not consider.

It’s going to get good with this.

Reactions: WestSideLion
It’s very interesting. I suspect Harper knows where he is going or where he prefers to go. What is critical for Boras to manage though is to keep the Phillies involved to help push the market even if Harper doesn’t want Philly. However, Philly dropping out removes a big piece from the game Boras is playing. If I were Klentack, I’d push the issue HARD. It really works to their benefit. If Boras wants to slow play the process, then bail. You can always go back in late and it’s possible that if the numbers aren’t quite there and there are fewer teams involved at the end than Boras wants, you cut a slightly better deal late.

Gabe wants Harper, I’m really not sure about Manny to be honest. I’d love to see Realmuto in combo with Harper but Jeter prefers to not trade Realmuto in the division (which makes zero sense to me). The Marlins aren’t contending for awhile. If someone in your division steps up, Jeter is silly to not consider.

Do you think Harper wants to play for Gabe? IDK but his managerial approach is so unconventional, you have to wonder.

I think you’re right re: Harper not wanting Philly. He and Boras have a destination in sight and are using the Phils spending spree to build the market. The Phillies can’t allow themselves to be strung along here.

This is where Klentak’s roots in a smal market franchise will be interesting. I wonder how much experience he has playing the game.

Do you think Harper wants to play for Gabe? IDK but his managerial approach is so unconventional, you have to wonder.

I don’t know but I think that most players probably are smart enough to know that Gabe has a short shelf life and wont be in place for long providing the team doesnt win.

I think you’re right re: Harper not wanting Philly. He and Boras have a destination in sight and are using the Phils spending spree to build the market. The Phillies can’t allow themselves to be strung along here.

This is where Klentak’s roots in a smal market franchise will be interesting. I wonder how much experience he has playing the game.

I was saying that hypothetically. I personally don’t think that there is a perfect spot for him. Some say NY, but that would involve them moving Stanton not to mention that Harper has said less than flattering things about NY on occasion. You can go through the teams and I’m not sure that there is a compelling reason for any of them. I think that Washington is his favorite city but I’m not sure that he doesn’t feel that his time is up there. He has a great relationship with the ownership, his personal feeling with ownership will ultimately determine where he settles.

Reactions: WestSideLion
I was saying that hypothetically. I personally don’t think that there is a perfect spot for him. Some say NY, but that would involve them moving Stanton not to mention that Harper has said less than flattering things about NY on occasion. You can go through the teams and I’m not sure that there is a compelling reason for any of them. I think that Washington is his favorite city but I’m not sure that he doesn’t feel that his time is up there. He has a great relationship with the ownership, his personal feeling with ownership will ultimately determine where he settles.
Sounds like Magic Johnson is making road trip to Vegas to meet with Harper

Reports this AM say the Phils have told Patrick Corburn that they will not be outbid for his services.

You could kind of see this coming to be honest. They might as well spill the beans and say the same to Harper. When the owner says they are willing to spend stupid money and actually mean it, you can basically tell him he’s playing with see through cards.

Sounds like Magic Johnson is making road trip to Vegas to meet with Harper

This has always been the team that can give the best story. Storied franchise, great weather, in position to win right now, endorsement money, closer to home, etc. Their OF isn’t that jumbled - they got fools gold out of Kemp - they can’t realistically look at him longer term. They are a little LH heavy between Bellinger, Seagar, Pederson, and Muncy. Adding him makes them a little LH top heavy.

For some goofy reason though I just don’t see him there. He’s got a gigantic personality. It’s good that besides Puig, they are somewhat dull so it’s not like he comes in and steps on people’s toes in the locker room. But I’m just not sure it’s a good personality fit.

I’m sure that means he signs there today, but I’ve never thought he winds up there. Plus, I don’t know their money situation payroll wise and how that works.

Yeah his career year was 11-7 at that- he did have a 3.15 ERA though, go get Happ on a three year deal. Sucks that the Phillies lost him to the Nats.

Thank goodness. You don’t over pay for a 29 year old pitcher coming off a career year. He is 2 games over .500 in his career. Would have been madness.

Thank God. Even the Yanks drew the line at 5 years and money means nothing to them.

It’s all swing and miss, that is the big focus. He had a nice year no doubt but that’s a lot of money to throw this guy.

Corbin to Nationals...

somewhat surprising, IMHO. The Yankees' limit was reportedly 5 years. I haven't heard what the Phils were willing to do.

the Nationals now have Scherzer, Strasburg, and Corbin on contracts of 6 or more years. That could make them a contender each year, or could blow up on them in the coming years.

somewhat surprising, IMHO. The Yankees' limit was reportedly 5 years. I haven't heard what the Phils were willing to do.

the Nationals now have Scherzer, Strasburg, and Corbin on contracts of 6 or more years. That could make them a contender each year, or could blow up on them in the coming years.

I think some teams haven’t figured out the steroid era is over. Historically pitchers decline precipitously after age 32. There are always exceptions, but I can’t imagine one of those exceptions is going to be a guy who had a career year at 29.

Phils would not commit to beyond 5 years as well. Nats were the only team willing to put another year on the table. I guess the Nats figure big 3 with a VERY good cheap outfield. They will need to figure out Rendon though, he won’t be cheap and he will want to be paid.

I think some teams haven’t figured out the steroid era is over. Historically pitchers decline precipitously after age 32. There are always exceptions, but I can’t imagine one of those exceptions is going to be a guy who had a career year at 29.

Why would the age of his best year (so far) predict when his decline will begin?

Matters how much time is left in the contract, not how long it was. Scherzer has 3 years left and Stras can (and should if he's healthy) opt out after 2019. And Nats don't have an impact starter in the system above A ball. Needed to make a move

Sounds like they are also talking to Giants about Bumgarner in their search for lefty starter. Not a lefty, but I would rather talk to Indians about Bauer, Kluber, or Carasco
Gotta think Bumgarners best days are behind him and injuries are a concern. still, can he give you 3 more years with an era below 3.5?

Gotta think Bumgarners best days are behind him and injuries are a concern. still, can he give you 3 more years with an era below 3.5?
I think he is a free agent after next season? Not sure how much he has left. Tons of innings on the arm.

Reactions: Grant Green
Yankees seem to be interested in having Happ back and it’s thought Phillies are interested in Dallas Keuchel. Dallas could be the next Jake. His arc isn’t favorable, they should look at Arietta and question whether they want to repeat the same with another pitcher.

[a dream] after going stupid with Middleton's $$$$$$

CF - Mike Trout
RF - Harper
3rd - Machado

Reactions: bmw199
Yankees seem to be interested in having Happ back and it’s thought Phillies are interested in Dallas Keuchel. Dallas could be the next Jake. His arc isn’t favorable, they should look at Arietta and question whether they want to repeat the same with another pitcher.
Not a fan of Keuchel. No need to chase lefties

ADVERTISEMENT