ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Not a fan of Keuchel. No need to chase lefties

They are really focused on getting a LHP for the rotation. Dallas gave up a TON of hits last year and had 2 years of starts in the mid 20’s. I like this guy but I’m not sure he isn’t leaking oil, not to mention the impact of pitching at CBP. This isn’t a good combo, but they want a lefty. Personally, I’d go to Cleveland and at least ask about Kluber. It seemed everyone was available but the Tribe has had interest in signing Carlos C. to an extension. I’m not sure what happens to Kluber then if they are reupping Carrasco. But I’d at least inquire as to what they are thinking. It would be COSTLY to what you would have to give up, but it can’t hurt to ask,

They are really focused on getting a LHP for the rotation. Dallas gave up a TON of hits last year and had 2 years of starts in the mid 20’s. I like this guy but I’m not sure he isn’t leaking oil, not to mention the impact of pitching at CBP. This isn’t a good combo, but they want a lefty. Personally, I’d go to Cleveland and at least ask about Kluber. It seemed everyone was available but the Tribe has had interest in signing Carlos C. to an extension. I’m not sure what happens to Kluber then if they are reupping Carrasco. But I’d at least inquire as to what they are thinking. It would be COSTLY to what you would have to give up, but it can’t hurt to ask,
Robbie Ray an option since Dbacks are selling

Lefty starter. Strikeouts. Career stats not that different than Corbin

You know, I was a bit harsh. He’s still young so that maybe he is worth a look. He’s had one really good year and a couple of years where maybe you can say he’s learning.

Phil's acquire lefty reliever Jose Alvarez for right reliever Luis Garcia. With additions of Alvarez and Pazos, Phils improve the pen. Hopefully that means no more Adam Morgan

Last edited:
Phil's acquire lefty reliever Jose Alvarez for right reliever Luis Garcia. With additions of Alvarez and Pazos, Phils improve the pen. Hopefully that means no more Adam Morgan
I just can’t get excited about relievers. They are such a crapshoot year to year.

People talk about Morgan like he’s dragging the team down a lot. He’s been average and at times, above average. His last 30 games (that’s about half a season for a mid reliever), his Whip was 1.26. There were others far worse. The GM already got rid of some of those guys.

I'm just glad it means no more Garcia. Six years of wildly inconsistent relief appearances from him. It was a good move for the Phils, as Garcia was out of options. Since the Phils brought him up in '13, '15 was the only season that he didn't split time between the bigs and the minors. He's 31-years-old -- unlikely that he'll morph into some type of new pitcher. Last season his ERA in the minors was 15.43, and in the bigs it was 6.07.

I'm just glad it means no more Garcia. Six years of wildly inconsistent relief appearances from him. It was a good move for the Phils, as Garcia was out of options. Since the Phils brought him up in '13, '15 was the only season that he didn't split time between the bigs and the minors. He's 31-years-old -- unlikely that he'll morph into some type of new pitcher. Last season his ERA in the minors was 15.43, and in the bigs it was 6.07.

That’s gonna leave a mark. Ouch.

People talk about Morgan like he’s dragging the team down a lot. He’s been average and at times, above average. His last 30 games (that’s about half a season for a mid reliever), his Whip was 1.26. There were others far worse. The GM already got rid of some of those guys.
I admit I didn't see him pitch every game. But, I saw enough of his meltdowns to know they need to go in a different direction. For the year, I think his WHIP was 1.44 and left handed hitters had a .350 OBP. Maybe just an off year?

Last edited:
I think some teams haven’t figured out the steroid era is over. Historically pitchers decline precipitously after age 32. There are always exceptions, but I can’t imagine one of those exceptions is going to be a guy who had a career year at 29.
Ryan--but I've always thought it was because he was hurt so much early in his career. He didn't put in too many innings when he was young (and the body still growing a bit), which I seem to recall is a concern.

My heads spinning with all of these stars that the Phillies are apparently going after

Hmmm, sounds like the Phils are close to signing McCutchen. Fairwell Odubel?

Cutch used to be the player I feared the most when the Phils faced the Pirates.

As for Odubel, when he's hot he's a great player, but when he's not, he's a PITA. Unfortunately, he never seems to be hot for more than a few months. It will be interesting to see what he can bring in a trade.

Reactions: Kmase21
Cutch used to be the player I feared the most when the Phils faced the Pirates.

As for Odubel, when he's hot he's a great player, but when he's not, he's a PITA. Unfortunately, he never seems to be hot for more than a few months. It will be interesting to see what he can bring in a trade.
Except for age, their stats seem to be similar. Even in decline, Cutch has a better OPS in the last few seasons.

I'm hoping that Rosenthal's tweet is referencing other teams asking about Sixto. IMHO, the Phils would be idiots if they traded him now, unless they were offered a ridiculous amount of talent in return.

Reactions: PSUoh90

I'm hoping that Rosenthal's tweet is referencing other teams asking about Sixto. IMHO, the Phils would be idiots if they traded him now, unless they were offered a ridiculous amount of talent in return.

Agree totally... I really hope they do not trade Sixto UNLESS they get a gigantic bountiful return of talent.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT