ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Delco Lion

Feb 16, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
May as well get this thread started. Looks like the Phils hosted lefty pitcher Patrick Corbin yesterday and appear to be willing to throw big money at him. Signing him would make the Phils more attractive to Harper. Sounds like the Phils will have to battle the Yanks for Corbin.

May as well get this thread started. Looks like the Phils hosted lefty pitcher Patrick Corbin yesterday and appear to be willing to throw big money at him. Signing him would make the Phils more attractive to Harper. Sounds like the Phils will have to battle the Yanks for Corbin.
Why would you have any confidence in Klentak's ability to get the job done? Consider: Signed Santana (bust, trying to trade him), signed Neshak and Hunter (trying to trade both), gave Kingery 6 year contract then refused to admit mistake and failed to send Kingery back to AAA. Traded for or signed Cabrera, Bautista, Bour, Ramos, Loupe and some other lefty, none of whom will be with the team next year. Add in "Kap" and unfortunately this team is going no where

Last edited:
Reactions: Lefty Hill
Why would you have any confidence in Klentak's ability to get the job done? Consider: Signed Santana (bust, trying to trade him), signed Neshak and Hunter (trying to trade both), gave Kingery 6 year contract then refused to admit mistake and failed to send Kingery back to AAA. Traded for or signed Cabrera, Bautista, Bour, Ramos, Loupe and some other lefty, none of whom will be with the team next year. Add in "Kap" and unfortunately this team is going no where

You have some valid points...lol Well, with Corbin its about writing a big enough check, and Montgomery will oversee that and Harpers courting.

I have to agree with the premise that this GM seems to be in deeper water than he should be in. But in his defense, he did attempt to trade for Machado and if you really consider everything, maybe they were better off getting the accumulation of junk they got rather than landing Manny for 2 months given what Manny produced post AS break. Manny might have cost you Medina and/or Sanchez

Just posted in the other Phillies thread before I saw this. Will be interesting to see how the Phils will structure these long term contracts. How much will be front loaded

Just posted in the other Phillies thread before I saw this. Will be interesting to see how the Phils will structure these long term contracts. How much will be front loaded

Like everything else, the contracts are very different now. Harper’s deal will likely include multiple player outs. He will get his money that’s for sure, what’s more important now is the flexibility to these guys. Would not surprise me at all if the first out isn’t in 2 years. Supposedly, the Nats offer was old school, no outs.

Heard it somewhere else. I guess it was more of a rumor or wishful thinking. Was curious if anyone else heard it. I know the Phils were rumored to talking about the deal, given they can take on the salary and likely wouldn't have to give up much.

Heard it somewhere else. I guess it was more of a rumor or wishful thinking. Was curious if anyone else heard it. I know the Phils were rumored to talking about the deal, given they can take on the salary and likely wouldn't have to give up much.

I have not heard anything Zach specific to any team.

Can’t wait.
He needs to waive his no-trade clause. If he does, sounds like Santana is part of the deal. Wondering what prospect the Phils may be including with JP and Santana. Also some talk the Phils might be getting an additional player.

He needs to waive his no-trade clause. If he does, sounds like Santana is part of the deal. Wondering what prospect the Phils may be including with JP and Santana. Also some talk the Phils might be getting an additional player.

That’s what I can’t wait for — to see how this all plays out!

That’s what I can’t wait for — to see how this all plays out!
Read Ranger Suarez (sp) and J. Ortiz might be included from Phillies. Would like to keep Ortiz, very young potential slugger. Possibly another player from Seattle. Opens an outfield spot. Don't think they are getting Harper, Brantley is more realistic. Currently leaves Williams, Herrera, Quinn and Altherr.

CBSSports just reported it’s a done deal? Crawford and Santana for Segura and Swarzek (sp?)

Can’t find any other confirmations though.

Read Ranger Suarez (sp) and J. Ortiz might be included from Phillies. Would like to keep Ortiz, very young potential slugger. Possibly another player from Seattle. Opens an outfield spot. Don't think they are getting Harper, Brantley is more realistic. Currently leaves Williams, Herrera, Quinn and Altherr.
Is part of this that Segura and Machado are reportedly good friends? When I heard that, I assumed this was laying the groundwork to be more appealing for Manny. That makes me think Harper won’t land in Philly.

Great Trade for Klentak if true.....anything to get rid of Santana is a good thing, IMO and now they can easily move Hoskins to 1B where he belongs a go find a good outfielder. Harper would be OK, but I'm fine if they can get Brantley as well. Segura is a major league hitter and doesn't strike out much.....desperately needed in the lineup.

I'd like them to move Hernandez as well to make way for Kingery to play 2B where he belongs as well.

Hope they can get Corbin as well.

Would be nice to resign Ramos too.

Great Trade for Klentak if true.....anything to get rid of Santana is a good thing, IMO and now they can easily move Hoskins to 1B where he belongs a go find a good outfielder. Harper would be OK, but I'm fine if they can get Brantley as well. Segura is a major league hitter and doesn't strike out much.....desperately needed in the lineup.

I'd like them to move Hernandez as well to make way for Kingery to play 2B where he belongs as well.

Hope they can get Corbin as well.

Would be nice to resign Ramos too.
Already admitting Santana mistake, will they admit Kingery mistake. You realize Kingery is older than Crawford.

Brantley is a nice player, but not huge impact. I get that price is cheaper, but also has not been able to stay healthy.

I heard somewhere that Corbin is seeking a 5 or 7 year deal. That is crazy. Start talking to Indians about Kluber, Bauer, or Carrasco. Seems they are open to moving one of them

Already admitting Santana mistake, will they admit Kingery mistake. You realize Kingery is older than Crawford.
Problem with Crawford is that he has not shown an ability to hit at any level. At least Kingery has. Too early to tell if that contract was a mistake.

Reactions: Grant Green
In Phillies form, this now means the Phils will trade Cesar and get zero back in return since every team will know in advance that the trade means Kingery will play second.

I’m not expecting Willie Mays level in return for Cesar, but you should have gotten something back. Now you have depressed his value significantly. I actually would not be against moving Kingery if it made sense.

What about his ......walks and OBP? BA and not striking out is so........pre-Klentak!
Phillies philosophy " launch" swing, take pitches and don't worry about strike outs. Minimized Hernandez' value. Went from being a 290's on base machine to 250's, 150 K's but he did hit 15 - 16 homers. Kingery should be the one to go, at least back to AAA, but after admitting the mistake on Santana they will not admit a second mistake on Kingery and the contract. I know injuries were a factor but I wonder how Crawford would have fared with the same opportunity and plate appearances as Kingery. BTW, Crawford is younger than Kingery.

Hernandez & Kingery -- the Phils are kind of screwed no matter what they do. The market is awash in available 2nd basemen, so the Phils have no chance of getting good value for either player. And Hernandez only has 1 year left on his contract before he can be a FA, so that diminishes his value. Kingery would have been better served with another year in AAA, especially since he struggled so much this past season. Compound that with the Phils, in a move that still baffles me, signing of Kingery to a long contract for significant $$, means that he's not going for anything close to his value.

I'm a Hernandez fan, and think the Phils undervalue him.

As the Phils can't get much for either player, I think the best play for the Phils is to go into next season with Hernandez as the starter, and with Kingery as the backup at 2nd, SS, and 3rd. Depending on how Hernandez does next season, and how the Phils do, the Phils may elect to move Hernandez near the trade deadline. If they don't trade him, they either resign him, or they allow him to walk and have Kingery as his replacement.

The Segura trade appears to be a positive on multiple levels. It stabilizes the SS position, it improves the Phil's batting lineup, it allows Hoskins to move back to 1st, and it removes Santana from the team (decent OBP, but disappointing bat last season). I am sorry to see Crawford leave, but he can't seem to stay healthy, and as @LundyPSU mentioned, his bat has not been all that productive since rookie ball and the very low minors (in part due to injuries).

Nice deal for the Phils. Two decent relievers, as well as subtracting Santana. Way better than I expected. I think Kingery will be a player

Reactions: mrtailgate
Hernandez & Kingery -- the Phils are kind of screwed no matter what they do. The market is awash in available 2nd basemen, so the Phils have no chance of getting good value for either player. And Hernandez only has 1 year left on his contract before he can be a FA, so that diminishes his value. Kingery would have been better served with another year in AAA, especially since he struggled so much this past season. Compound that with the Phils, in a move that still baffles me, signing of Kingery to a long contract for significant $$, means that he's not going for anything close to his value.

I'm a Hernandez fan, and think the Phils undervalue him.

As the Phils can't get much for either player, I think the best play for the Phils is to go into next season with Hernandez as the starter, and with Kingery as the backup at 2nd, SS, and 3rd. Depending on how Hernandez does next season, and how the Phils do, the Phils may elect to move Hernandez near the trade deadline. If they don't trade him, they either resign him, or they allow him to walk and have Kingery as his replacement.

The Segura trade appears to be a positive on multiple levels. It stabilizes the SS position, it improves the Phil's batting lineup, it allows Hoskins to move back to 1st, and it removes Santana from the team (decent OBP, but disappointing bat last season). I am sorry to see Crawford leave, but he can't seem to stay healthy, and as @LundyPSU mentioned, his bat has not been all that productive since rookie ball and the very low minors (in part due to injuries).

I would tend to agree with you in possibly having Kingery in a super sub role which will get him a decent number of AB’s even if not a starter. You could even run him into the OF on a periodic basis to ensure his AB’s. The biggest thing in Cesar’s favor is that Gabe absolutely loves him. If he is quickly moved then that’s a sign that the organization likes him less than Gabe and the decision making on personnel is not first at Gabe’s level. Of course with Gabe, who knows? He might have moved on so to speak, but Gabe couldn’t say enough positive things about Cesar last year.

This is a good move given that you got two workable bullpen arms as part of the package. But it also shines a light somewhat on the disasterous moves last year of Hunter and Neshek. Hunter was not good for periods and Neshek only takes the ball under restricted terms. These guys weren’t cheap either. I guess you’re hoping that Hunter and Neshek are better and these two guys further bolster the pen.

But this is a very good move for the Phils. Now, it gets interesting. They moved money around so this move doesn’t mean anything relative to the amount they can spend still. Only downside is SS is on the books for more than Santana was so that there is less money a couple years down the road regarding flexibility but that shouldn’t be a big deal at all.

I’m still hearing that they intend to be BIG players and that the whole MLB offseason runs through the Phillies.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT