ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Bohm, Howard and Hoskins? Maybe Segura to keep one of the prospects???

Colorado would be crazy to make that trade either way.

Arenado can opt out in 2021 so that may impact the trade value. I dont think the players you mentioned would be a bad package. Would hate to see Howard go. The Rockies are in a rebuilding stage and may now want to unload Arenado's 8 year $260MM contract. This contract would put the Phils over the luxury tax threshold.

Arenado can opt out in 2021 so that may impact the trade value. I dont think the players you mentioned would be a bad package. Would hate to see Howard go. The Rockies are in a rebuilding stage and may now want to unload Arenado's 8 year $260MM contract. This contract would put the Phils over the luxury tax threshold.
IMO, with Phils lack of pitching throughout the organization Howard has to be untouchable. Anyone else fair game

Rarely will you find three MLB scouts with the same opinions on a player. The only disheartening thing in there was the view that Bohm doesn’t have the bat to play first.

I'd concur about MLB scouts.

There have been whispers about Bohm's defense not being sufficient, so I was troubled by the article. The footwork issues were a concern to me. Some players, through hard work, can break their footwork tendencies, and improve in that area. Others that exhibit bad footwork never really improve in that area. Only time will tell if this truly is an issue with Bohm, and if it is whether or not he has improved through work on it.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Every team seems to burn up relievers

I think you're correct. The MO for relievers these days seems to be throw as hard as you can for an inning or two. When you poop out, we'll bring in another guy who will do the same thing.

Relievers seem to be one or two pitch throwers these days - usually a great fast ball and maybe a curve or slider. Very few of them seem to be pitchers who can work the corners, go up and down, vary speeds, etc, etc - all the stuff that makes good starters who face a lineup two or three times per game.

This seems to be the relievers' analog of Larry Anderson's summary of hitting these days - swing as hard as you can in case you hit it.

You could see this coming since last summer. He should have had the surgery then. Instead he crossed his fingers and hoped for a miraculous recovery.

I think a lot of fans, as well as Seranthony and the Phils' management, were fearful it would end up like this. That said, Dr. James Andrews advised to not have the surgery and follow the program he outlined. 99% of us would defer to an expert of that caliber.

I think a lot of fans, as well as Seranthony and the Phils' management, were fearful it would end up like this. That said, Dr. James Andrews advised to not have the surgery and follow the program he outlined. 99% of us would defer to an expert of that caliber.
I recall what my doc said about possible knee surgery many years ago. "You can't uncut something". So options short of surgery make sense to try first.

And, no, I never ended up having surgery and was able to play competitive soccer until I turned 50.

Even experts are wrong once in a while. I too knew this would happen. So the gamble was to try PRP instead of surgery at that time. He lost all of last season and is no better off. Now he's looking at least another season lost, if not more. It could be 3 years lost in the prime of his career.

We have long debated the merits of Spring Training and have reached the conclusion that the games tell you nothing. But the two biggest takeaways that I remember from 19 were how bad Seranthony and Robertson looked. The games mean nothing but I know when my eyes tell me that someone looks hurt he’s probably hurt. TJ is strange, a lot of pitchers come back stronger after it and even after multiple TJ surgeries. Hopefully that is the same here but you are looking at him not being back until 22. It’s like 5 years from when he was healthy, who know what you’ll have. Wish the young man well, he’s got a long road ahead.

so what is latest on potential start dates for the season? seems like the sides are pretty far apart. wonder how long the stand-off will continue.

so what is latest on potential start dates for the season? seems like the sides are pretty far apart. wonder how long the stand-off will continue.

I think most people were working off say 3-4 weeks to build pitchers back up. What I think you will see are expanded rosters (pitchers) to start as early as possible to build up arms and play as many games as possible. I think July 4th isn’t going to happen so I think you’re looking at July 15th if you settle within the next 2 weeks. This week is huge in the process.

But this is going to ugly. I wouldn’t want to be Mookie or JT or any high level FA this offseason. There are huge issues facing both sides. I hope they aren’t stupid enough to consider a lockout or strike but the tables are set for a labor mess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT