ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Phillies thread

Maybe so, but they will still chock in the playoffs.
Chock_full_o%27Nuts_logo.png

Great day. It will get lost a bit in the shuffle but HUGE point was 1-1, Segura gets third then Harper and Hoskins K. Last year, they don’t deliver in that situation. But Odubel stays within himself and then Cesar keeps it simple and 1-1 turns into 3-1. HUGE!

Nola impressed today. He battled his last start in Clearwater against the Tigers and had a bit of a repeat today. He was just missing spots but showed his toughness not letting them break through. I can’t recall a guy who limits damage better than him. Very seldom does he allow a big inning. Every kid should watch this guy and how he works.

Bullpen arms still concern me a tad. Hector and Robertson each gave up multiple hits. I’m hopeful the pen isn’t a problem.

But a great start and this lineup can do damage.

My contribution to this thread....

I'm having lunch in Haddonfield today when I get a text from my nephew..."Hey uncle CF, I'm headed to the Phillies game. I'm part of the armed services color guard for the season opener today".

He served in Iraq and is now in the reserves.

Wish I could have been there to see that.

Great day. It will get lost a bit in the shuffle but HUGE point was 1-1, Segura gets third then Harper and Hoskins K. Last year, they don’t deliver in that situation. But Odubel stays within himself and then Cesar keeps it simple and 1-1 turns into 3-1. HUGE!

Nola impressed today. He battled his last start in Clearwater against the Tigers and had a bit of a repeat today. He was just missing spots but showed his toughness not letting them break through. I can’t recall a guy who limits damage better than him. Very seldom does he allow a big inning. Every kid should watch this guy and how he works.

Bullpen arms still concern me a tad. Hector and Robertson each gave up multiple hits. I’m hopeful the pen isn’t a problem.

But a great start and this lineup can do damage.
You are absolutely right. The Herrera AB was huge, at a time when it looked like they would strand a runner on 3rd with the 3-4-5 guys coming up.

It was a beautiful day there. Great crowd, lots of energy. Cutch is going to be a HUGE fan favorite.

The broadcast said Cesar did it in 2017 was the other. So... not quite 1930 as the last time. o_O

To be fair, the post said 1930 was the last time it happened in Philadelphia but Cesar did it on the road against the Reds. Obscure bits of trivia can be interesting and make us remember the past.

I think guys like Odubel and Franco are going to feast lower in the order - to say nothing about the opportunities it opens up for Hoskins in the 4 spot.

Long season of course, but it’s really gratifying to see so many of the optimistic hypotheticals that were talked about all offseason with this lineup end up playing out in the season opener. This is going to be such a fun team to watch hit.

Reactions: royboy and bwifan
Long season of course, but it’s really gratifying to see so many of the optimistic hypotheticals that were talked about all offseason with this lineup end up playing out in the season opener. This is going to be such a fun team to watch hit.

the starting lineup is improved offensively and defensively (the defense in right field being the only exception).

the pitching staff still has some question marks, both amongst the starters and in the pen. To some extent, the improved D and O should overcome some of the pitching issues.

It certainly was a brilliant opening day, both literally and figuratively. Nola is not a question mark as a starter, and the offense was in excellent form.

One additional thing that I’m not sure has been mentioned (if so, sorry) but I believe with exception of maybe a flip at some point with McCutchen and Hernandez, this lineup doesn’t seem to have any moving parts. I am of the opinion that roles matter and comfort with where you’re hitting also matters. Last year, that lineup was constantly changing. That’s tough and tougher for younger players. I think this lineup is largely set in stone. I think this helps as well.

Not sure how the pitching will hold up over the long haul, but man, things are a lot more fun with some bats in the lineup.

4 sure. It brings back memories of what they were like at the start of their most recent run of greatness. In the early years of their run (pre-Four Aces), the offense blunged other teams. The Phils' pitching was OK, but not dominant. The offense didn't really care who the Phils put on the mount, or who they were facing on the mound. In those years, fans had reason to be confident, even when the Phils were trailing heading into the late innings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT