ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 76ers Thread

I take back 1/3rd of all the bad things I've ever said about Furkan.

57zzvu0zmew31.jpg

I didn't understand Coach Brown's commitment to Furkan but I will admit that Furk has been a major contributor in two of the five wins so far.

Last unbeaten team in the league. Great start.

Sixer's need his 3 point shooting big time, hopefully he can make 3's at a 30% or 40% anything else is gravy.

Anyone catch the game? Not a surprising loss. Big night for Furkan K, Harris, and Horford. Horford could prove to be one of the best FA deals the Sixers have ever pulled off. Booker always seems to have big games against the Sixers. Aron Baynes completely shut down Simmons and Thybulle needs to get his O game going or he will be sent down to Wilmington.

Anyone catch the game? Not a surprising loss. Big night for Furkan K, Harris, and Horford. Horford could prove to be one of the best FA deals the Sixers have ever pulled off. Booker always seems to have big games against the Sixers. Aron Baynes completely shut down Simmons and Thybulle needs to get his O game going or he will be sent down to Wilmington.
Yep, watched it and was a bit frustrating. Would be great if we could combine Furk and Thybulle into one player....Furk gets abused on the defensive end and Pheonix constantly targeted him down the stretch and he would get beat and cause rotations that got the sixers out of whack, which led to easy shots for Pheonix. I wish Brown would have subbed Thybulle in at the end for defense after they got the game tied back at 100.

Thybulle won't be going anywhere either as he leads the league in steals with Ben coming in at number 2....although they may have swapped spots last night after Ben tallied another 7 steals. Any time you lead the NBA in a category you are pretty good,so I don't see him going to G-league anytime soon.

Thybulle won't be going anywhere either as he leads the league in steals with Ben coming in at number 2....although they may have swapped spots last night after Ben tallied another 7 steals. Any time you lead the NBA in a category you are pretty good,so I don't see him going to G-league anytime soon.

Jimmy Butler is first. Simmons second. Thybulle is fifth.

Ya- without Embiid in the lineup, they are an average team that can't shoot. Their backcourt is bricklayer city. They need a more athletic JJ Reddick there. Better start watching Horfords minutes too.

Agree about Thybulle, I don't care how good his Defense is if he can't score a lick. I think its a little overrated though. He gets steals, but he gets beat does a lot of reaching. He needs to be a guy to help shut down Booker. Give Smith some run. He's quicker.

I know everyone is loving Embiid getting this rest but is anyone else worried about a 33 year old Horford already averaging 32 mins a game (4 more mins a game than last season & one in which he had knee issues)?

I hope they have some “load management” schedule for big 42 soon. I don’t want him burned out by All Star break. I know he keeps himself in good shape and his game isn’t necessary hard on the body since he’s not flying all over the place, but I just want to make sure that investment makes it to June!

I know everyone is loving Embiid getting this rest but is anyone else worried about a 33 year old Horford already averaging 32 mins a game (4 more mins a game than last season & one in which he had knee issues)?

He's been over 30 minutes every night, but Embiid has only played one full game (was in foul trouble against Boston and ejected in the third quarter against Minnesota, missed one game to injury and two to suspension). He'll be fine. He'll probably see fewer minutes when Embiid gets back. And I'm sure he and Embiid will each get some nights off throughout the season.

Reactions: MJG-90
Well, he was leading in steals per game up until last game, but since Ben had 7 now he leads the league. Still pretty good company for a rookie who gets a lot less minutes than anyone else on this list. Tied for second with Mr. Leonard.

from NBA.COM

Steals Per Game

1. Ben Simmons PHI 3.3
2. Kawhi Leonard LAC 2.3
2. Matisse Thybulle PHI 2.3
4. Donovan Mitchell UTA 2.0
5. Kris Dunn CHI 1.9

I stand corrected. I just looked it up on multiple sites (including Yahoo sports) and your numbers are accurate. Funny thing is, I looked it up again on the Yahoo sports app on my phone, and it still shows Jimmy Butler on top -- which makes no sense since yahoo's website shows what you posted. I have a screenshot, but no clue how to post it.

EDIT: I see what's happening now. Butler has only played 4 of his team's 7 games, so he's not listed on ESPN's stat leaders (and most every other site). But he is averaging 3.8 steals per game, which would lead the league if he had played more games while maintaining that average. So the app must not be filtering out guys that have missed a high percentage of games.

Last edited:
All due respect, I don't see it happening this year. Six games in and Simmons has taken zero threes. The writings on the wall for this year.

I'm convinced that he could easily hit at least 30% of his threes, especially with the space he's been given.

I think he'll eventually start shooting them. I'm anticipating at a less than 30% clip, but you have to start somewhere.

Reactions: bmw199 and LionJim
Ya- without Embiid in the lineup, they are an average team that can't shoot. Their backcourt is bricklayer city. They need a more athletic JJ Reddick there. Better start watching Horfords minutes too.

Agree about Thybulle, I don't care how good his Defense is if he can't score a lick. I think its a little overrated though. He gets steals, but he gets beat does a lot of reaching. He needs to be a guy to help shut down Booker. Give Smith some run. He's quicker.

I agree with Horford. I don't care if Embiid is out, the guy needs to be well below 30 per.

Last edited:
Rough road trip for the Sixers. Now sit at 5-3 (3 game losing streak).

Up 21 in the 3rd. Lose to the nuggets by 3 after a 34–13 4th quarter.

Last foul on Embiid looked like such a flop by Jokic (along with the flop he attempted on his game winning shot).

Rough road trip for the Sixers. Now sit at 5-3 (3 game losing streak).

Up 21 in the 3rd. Lose to the nuggets by 3 after a 34–13 4th quarter.

Last foul on Embiid looked like such a flop by Jokic (along with the flop he attempted on his game winning shot).
That was a bad, bad loss. The last two have been that way, though they were without JoJo in Portland.

Reactions: PSU_Chicago
Still have yet to lose at full strength, but some concerning things last night. Seemed Like Jojo just went to sleep for long sections of the game and looked terrible.

FK looks like his shot is coming around nicely, but is a major liability on defense.

Brown's play calling down the stretch last night was terrible as well. I am just not a BB fan. Why doesn't he make defensive subs lat in games when the opportunity presents itself. The last possession for Denver last night...Thybulle should have replaced Neto and would have gave another good defensive player and got the smallest guy on the court off for the biggest defensive series. If we hold we call TO and can bring Neto back for offense.

Reactions: Delco Lion
I still don't like Embiid playing outside so much. We don't get the benefit of his size and strength by him out there. Really disappointed the Sixers blew that 21 point lead last night they just fell asleep and let Denver take it.

Multiple reports today say Embiid is not in shape physically to play the number of minutes the Sixers need from him. Brown pretty much said the same thing last night. He said something like "they are working to get to that point/shape"

Blew that one......but all losses have been to good teams on road. Rough trip.

Another disappointing loss by the Sixers.

This offense is clunky and just couldn’t get a stop in OT.

I know it’s early in the season but this team doesn’t seem to have any offensive rhythm and when the game is close doesn’t have a “go to” player yet or a “go to” set yet.

No matter how you slice it 7-5 is a disappointing start to this season especially with the teams they have lost to.

Why does Simmons never touch the ball in crunch time? That last play in regulation was a debacle. Plenty of time and Embiid is just standing on the 3pt line. Too tired to drive to the basket? Frustrating, we saw this movie last year.

Another disappointing loss by the Sixers.

This offense is clunky and just couldn’t get a stop in OT.

I know it’s early in the season but this team doesn’t seem to have any offensive rhythm and when the game is close doesn’t have a “go to” player yet or a “go to” set yet.

No matter how you slice it 7-5 is a disappointing start to this season especially with the teams they have lost to.

A strange game. The Sixers were great in the 1st quarter, terrible in the 2nd quarter, did better in general in the 2nd half (especially from mid-3rd quarter to mid-4th quarter), and fell apart at the end. So the game goes to OT, and the Sixers were brutal in OT.

Basically, when they got into their sets quickly, and moved the ball around, they were very good. When they were slow to get into their sets, and they spent too much time trying to break down a player in 1v1, they did poorly.

The Sixers committed 32 fouls, while the Thunder committed 22 fouls. That was huge, as the Thunder converted 35 of 41 from the stripe (85%), whereas the Sixers converted only 15 of 22 (68%).

Furkan was 1 of 7 (1 of 4 from 3-point range), which didn't help.

It was good to see Tobias Harris break out of his shooting funk (he was 8 of 16, including 3 of 4 from 3-point range). Josh Richardson had a nice game.

The Sixers have underperformed to start the season. To some extent I think that's a combo of a lot of new parts that are still learning to play as a unit, JoJo's 2-game suspension, and Tobias' struggles early on shooting the 3. I may be an optimist, but I think the team will improve as the season progresses.

Reactions: whart and jmorovich
Why does Simmons never touch the ball in crunch time? That last play in regulation was a debacle. Plenty of time and Embiid is just standing on the 3pt line. Too tired to drive to the basket? Frustrating, we saw this movie last year.

Listened to The Rights To Ricky Sanchez podcast and they couldn’t stop talking about how Embiid is still out of shape. It’s frustrating to watch.

I don’t know if it’s Brett Brown’s offense or the players in it, but this Sixers team isn’t very good on the offensive end. I thought they would have issues from beyond 3 but they seem to fall into slumps just getting a quality shot at this point.

they started out hot as they played some great defense, problem is you cannot keep up that level of effort and intensity on the defensive end for a full season. Offensively they have not been good all year yet. My fear is that the offense relied so much on Embiid-Reddick two man game last year that they have nothing now. And we all know last year also that Jimmy Butler was the goto guy when a basket was needed. So take away those two things and this team is sort of lost offensively. I am not sure that Brett Brown knows how to coach this team to a championship caliber.

Sixers lose at Toronto, 101-96

Lots of ugliness in this game. JoJo was 0 for the game. Simmons was on a break, and had Tobias for a lob slam with @ 13 sec to go, but threw the ball too low and it was intercepted. Josh Richardson played well at times, but went 0-3 when he was fouled on a 3-point shot. And the Raptors went on a 10-0 run to end the game, and get the win, as the Sixers missed their last 8 shots. smh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT