ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 6 Thread

Well said BruceK-PSU83!

Thanks!
Well said BruceK-PSU83!

Thanks!
I’ll add even more color. Last year PSU scores 146.5 and this year 142.5 despite the Fab 5 scoring 15.5 points less. The other guys, three of which were new, scored a combined 11.5 pts better than their weights did a year ago. That my friends is incredible and speaks to coaching and depth. More next year because 117 points return.

Only people that know what Bo did are Bo and Wade Schalles.
You got that right. In the state finals in 1969, Jon Chatman was in on a double; had Schalles sitting down and looked like he could take Schalles straight to his back. Schalles elevated and Chatman was decked. One of the most memorable moments in PIAA history.

I was amazed then, But Bo just topped Wade.

Actually it was all in the leg that Martin had in the single. I used that same
Move and it is all in the kick. And then holding on to the top. Rob koll taught me that.

So it was a gator baiter move (which usually occurs from standing) that happened from a position on the mat and back? Hope to see the replay soon. Ok ... I found it. Here is the video. The ref is in the way for the turn but you we can at least enjoy it again ... and again ... and again.

This needs to be updated. Sorry Amazon, but we'll be deforesting for quite a bit more time.

#NCAASMatter
#BIG10-NOTSOMUCH

DJsgtX1W0AAAKjd.jpg

You got that right. In the state finals in 1969, Jon Chatman was in on a double; had Schalles sitting down and looked like he could take Schalles straight to his back. Schalles elevated and Chatman was decked. One of the most memorable moments in PIAA history.

I was amazed then, But Bo just topped Wade.
Before my time, but I just saw it on youtube the other day. Schalles probably got a real kick out of Bo's stunt tonight.

Reactions: diggerpup
It's been a heck of a three days. My fingers are tired, my eyes are exhausted, but I'm one hell of a happy guy.

I've enjoyed the Session threads, and it appears that many of you did as well. My thanks to the many that brought good input to the threads, or participated in the threads. Unless I'm at the 2019 NCAAs, I'll probably do this once again next year.

It's been fun!

The Pennsylvania State University Wrestling Team is the 2018 Division 1 NCAA Wrestling Champion!

It's been a heck of a three days. My fingers are tired, my eyes are exhausted, but I'm one hell of a happy guy.

I've enjoyed the Session threads, and it appears that many of you did as well. My thanks to the many that brought good input to the threads, or participated in the threads. Unless I'm at the 2019 NCAAs, I'll probably do this once again next year.

It's been fun!

The Pennsylvania State University Wrestling Team is the 2018 Division 1 NCAA Wrestling Champion!

Your play-by-play summaries are excellent Tom.

They are a huge benefit for Penn State fans. Your summary skills are crisp, precise and much appreciated.

Cheers!​

In that example if you were to wager on Lee to win on the money line you would have to bet 200 to win 100. On suriano it would be wager 100 to win 150.

There is also another way to bet it and that is to lay points with Lee. If you took Lee-1.5 he would have to win by 2 or more for that bet to win
Thanks.

If I had bet the points line, say I take Lee -1.5, and I bet $100 how much do I win and how much do I lose?

Welp, that does it for my eighth one of these tournaments, and man.. I'm not kidding when I say each one outdoes the last in terms of excitement, twists and turns.

My recap after talking with Cael, Cody and Casey, and also comments from the champs at the link

Wrestling: Nickal leads Penn State past Ohio State for national title
Inadvertent head butt from Martinez? You're joking, right Tim? It looked clearly intentional to me, and indicated that IMar was frustrated and lost his cool.

Also, I believe tOSU ended up with 133.5 points after the one point deduction (they started the evening with 130.5).

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Inadvertent head butt from Martinez? You're joking, right Tim? It looked clearly intentional to me, and indicated that IMar was frustrated and lost his cool.

Also, I believe tOSU ended up with 133.5 points after the one point deduction (they started the evening with 130.5).
Fixed the score. And I’m giving Martinez the benefit of the doubt, no reason not to

Fixed the score. And I’m giving Martinez the benefit of the doubt, no reason not to

OK, up to you. But IMar took 2 or 3 steps toward Joseph to butt heads, so there really isn't much doubt. Apparently the ref didn't consider it inadvertent, either.

I will acknowledge that IMar's post-match tweet showed class.

Last edited:

No doubt it was intentional. IMar made up for it after the match though. What a great college career! Only 3 losses his whole career (to the guys in blue and white).

Reactions: dbldoofus
Wow! Class there. You could kind of tell he was too tight.

Agreed. Not a huge IMar fan, but this was a gracious and impressive gesture on his part. I also really enjoyed his unfiltered response at B1Gs when asked what winning that title meant to him. Without hesitation, he said: "It doesn't mean a damn thing to me until I win a national championship." Here's a clip. The interview comment starts around the 12:30 mark.

L
Agreed. Not a huge IMar fan, but this was a gracious and impressive gesture on his part. I also really enjoyed his unfiltered response at B1Gs when asked what winning that title meant to him. Without hesitation, he said: "It doesn't mean a damn thing to me until I win a national championship." Here's a clip. The interview comment starts around the 12:30 mark.
But. But. But. Whata mean? Ohio State says isn't it the Big10 title that's the big one.

As a side note. Just think. If it wasn't for something like the NCAA wrestling championships Big10 Commissioner Jimmy stone stupid Delaney would have pronounced Ohio State the deserving national champion right before the Bo - Myles match.

Reactions: PSUer1989 and Grass
Hall looked like he lost confidence and his usual game after the first takedown. He never really got into the match. All credit to Zahid but Hall wasn't his usual cool, calm and tough self this match.

"I definitely felt a little bit slower since I got injured, but I feel better now than I did before," he said. "Just overall, physically, I was a little bit slower. I think hesitant because I wanted to protect my knee. I could do everything that I used to, but I just wanted to protect my knee, not put myself in any bad situations to be out longer. Just finding opportunities to score. A couple of times I felt (Hidlay) reach in and post it and get the leg. And the other time I kind of passed his elbow by and got the leg. So I was just waiting for those opportunities. So a little bit different than my normal style, instead of going and getting it I have to be a little bit more patient so I don't get myself in those situations. But I think I did a really good job this week.

Yes, he won but he did not go after it. Not his best and not what we are use to seeing out of him.

Here's his reasoning sir: "I definitely felt a little bit slower since I got injured, but I feel better now than I did before," he said. "Just overall, physically, I was a little bit slower. I think hesitant because I wanted to protect my knee. I could do everything that I used to, but I just wanted to protect my knee, not put myself in any bad situations to be out longer. Just finding opportunities to score. A couple of times I felt (Hidlay) reach in and post it and get the leg. And the other time I kind of passed his elbow by and got the leg. So I was just waiting for those opportunities. So a little bit different than my normal style, instead of going and getting it I have to be a little bit more patient so I don't get myself in those situations. But I think I did a really good job this week

Can anybody post a clip of the head-butt please?

I don't know how to post a video....but I can tell you it was definitely intentional... born out of frustration. Imar's chin strap came loose 3 times and he was clearly complaining that he felt Cenzo was responsible for each occurrence. He took 2-3 steps toward Cenzo after the 3rd one and head butted him. It cost him a point. I am sure he was just frustrated.....but he was classy at the end of the match and gave full credit to Joseph in his tweet. Cenzo also just dismissed in his post match interview as "two guys wrestling hard. ". Props to both.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Oh wow....it's a lot of fun watching the Bo/Myles series back in slow motion. Watching the Buckeye fans go from jumping out of their seats excited to "wtf" just happened and "we just lost again". Do yourself a favor and watch the fans in the background. Priceless!
Very much like the Iowa fans last year, also during Bo's match.

I don't know about all you other posters but I still can't stop smiling today!!!!...Also does anyone know why the change from 2 to 3 coaches in the corner this year?

Reactions: Ja1339
OK, up to you. But IMar took 2 or 3 steps toward Joseph to butt heads, so there really isn't much doubt. Apparently the ref didn't consider it inadvertent, either.

I will acknowledge that IMar's post-match tweet showed class.

I do believe Joseph did the same thing to IMar last year. Small head butt.

Here's his reasoning sir: "I definitely felt a little bit slower since I got injured, but I feel better now than I did before," he said. "Just overall, physically, I was a little bit slower. I think hesitant because I wanted to protect my knee. I could do everything that I used to, but I just wanted to protect my knee, not put myself in any bad situations to be out longer. Just finding opportunities to score. A couple of times I felt (Hidlay) reach in and post it and get the leg. And the other time I kind of passed his elbow by and got the leg. So I was just waiting for those opportunities. So a little bit different than my normal style, instead of going and getting it I have to be a little bit more patient so I don't get myself in those situations. But I think I did a really good job this week
Thank you Sir for taking the time to post this, however my response was referring to Zain not Jason. I think Zain was as dominant as he could be with someone who wanted nothing to do with his opponent.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Martin got stuck. Great wrestler, great kid, very athletic. He just got stuck being careless. It happens. Ask DT, IMAR. Ryan probably had him to amp’d up. He looked more active than normal against Bo. Bo appeared to approach the match like he did against Dean last year. He was ready to grind it out but you if come into my wheelhouse you will not get out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT