ADVERTISEMENT

125 question

I'm pretty sure he has to be enrolled full-time in this situation. NCAA rules do allow certain sports to start prior to Fall semester, as you noted. They're defined in chart 17-2 in the Rulebook. That chart shows the "practice units" allowed before the first competition, as well as the competition date start. For example, Women's Soccer has a start date of August 16 allowed, and 21 "practice units" allowed prior. I saw nothing that allows wrestlers to compete unless enrolled.
True enough Roar, but enrolled full time doesn’t mean classes started. I can be enrolled full time for the next semester as soon as the previous semester ends. I feel like we’ve had this discussion before....a long time back but maybe just deja vu. I also feel like we’ve seen other schools show up with previously ineligible wrestlers at the scuffle or something.

As to the grades question, if he withdrew he has no grades. So I’d have to guess also means there isn’t a GPA effect to consider. The only thing that really happened is his eligibility clock started.

Whatever the case it would be cool to have an actual ruling on the question. Just for fun

Reactions: jtothemfp
True enough Roar, but enrolled full time doesn’t mean classes started. I can be enrolled full time for the next semester as soon as the previous semester ends. I feel like we’ve had this discussion before....a long time back but maybe just deja vu. I also feel like we’ve seen other schools show up with previously ineligible wrestlers at the scuffle or something.

As to the grades question, if he withdrew he has no grades. So I’d have to guess also means there isn’t a GPA effect to consider. The only thing that really happened is his eligibility clock started.

Whatever the case it would be cool to have an actual ruling on the question. Just for fun
There may be no GPA to consider, but there still is the 6 credits completed per semester enrolled hurdle. So I think the only way he could be eligible is if he gets through whatever he is going through, enrolls and completes 6 over winter break (is that possible at PSU?) He may be able to enter an open tournament, but I don't think the Scuffle works like that.
Didn't Hall wrestle in the Scuffle as a redshirt?
RS is on a roster. Open generally implies that it is an "open" tournament, i.e. HS wrestlers, post grads, grey shirts, not enrolled, etc.

Reactions: funkisfun12
To wrestle at the Southern Scuffle, one need to be a rostered wrestler. Redshirts ARE rostered wrestlers. The way the tournament is run, it could be considered an invitational.

There may be no GPA to consider, but there still is the 6 credits completed per semester enrolled hurdle. So I think the only way he could be eligible is if he gets through whatever he is going through, enrolls and completes 6 over winter break (is that possible at PSU?) He may be able to enter an open tournament, but I don't think the Scuffle works like that.

RS is on a roster. Open generally implies that it is an "open" tournament, i.e. HS wrestlers, post grads, grey shirts, not enrolled, etc.

The question is, Dice, if he withdrew from school entirely was he considered enrolled or not enrolled for fall? That could affect the 6 credit issue.

The question is, Dice, if he withdrew from school entirely was he considered enrolled or not enrolled for fall? That could affect the 6 credit issue.
I would surmise that would depend on when he withdrew. I have a hard time with the timing, however, thinking it was early enough that he wouldn't be considered enrolled for fall. I could be wrong though, just guessing.

Wasn't he here during the Summer? I assume he took classes.
Someone posted on another thread when this started that he was not here for summer session classes. That's all I have to go on. Could be wildly wrong about that as well.

Reactions: nitlion6
I would surmise that would depend on when he withdrew. I have a hard time with the timing, however, thinking it was early enough that he wouldn't be considered enrolled for fall. I could be wrong though, just guessing.
Penn State's academic calendar: Late Drop deadline 11/9, Withdrawal deadline 12/7. "Withdrawal" does cancel enrollment for that semester (except for any courses already completed) -- however, it also means having to re-apply for admission.

That's for the university as a whole. Not sure how the university applies it for athletes' academic eligibility -- PSU is usually more stringent than B10, which is usually more stringent than NCAA..

Also don't know the NCAA rule, but gotta think the NCAA doesn't care about "withdrawal" -- once you're enrolled, you either complete 6 credits or you don't. Otherwise Nick Saban could drive a truck sideways thru that loophole.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT