ADVERTISEMENT

125 question

I used to be opposed to pulling redshirts, but Doug Schwab's brother completely changed my thinking on that.

Bottom line is that if they are ready and can compete on that level, the future is now. Why wait for injuries, growing out of the weight, losing interest, etc. to possibly hamper the ability to wrestle now?

Remember that phrase: the future is NOW!

Last edited:
Serious question (sorry). In all the talk about 125, Jack Davis's name has not come up. What's up with him?

List as a 125/133 on the roster, but has wrestled as a 133 so far this year.
May be a dumb question but if Teasdale is excepted back at PSU in good standing and the best wrestler at 125 could he still wrestle in January of 2019?

May be a dumb question but if Teasdale is excepted back at PSU in good standing and the best wrestler at 125 could he still wrestle in January of 2019?
If you go to HR and look through the archives from this time last year you will find PAGES on this from the PD3 transfer. Not sure I still understand the rules.

In my very limited, and probably wrong, understanding, he would have to wait until classes start plus make weight, both mean a mid to late January start at best. PD3’s case was different (in so many ways) due to transfer, and the number of times he transfered.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
And you keep ignoring the fact that Teske is unlikely to score any significant points at BIGs or NCAAs this season. Not to mention you (and MANY others) seem to think they know better than Cael, etal should do. I will never understand that attitude.
I blame sports talk radio/ talk radio culture- because talking heads and fans always know better than the people who actually have the jobs/qualifications/background/experience... it's fun to imagine what as fans we'd do if we were the coach, but honestly the coaches have a pretty good track record...

I blame sports talk radio/ talk radio culture- because talking heads and fans always know better than the people who actually have the jobs/qualifications/background/experience... it's fun to imagine what as fans we'd do if we were the coach, but honestly the coaches have a pretty good track record...
I dunno man, I think a good portion of our recent success has come because the coaches read every post here.:D

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on this board, but how was the competition in room going between Gavin and Brody? Will Gavin be able to take the spot from him in January? If it's Teske, gotta be the first time a PSU 125 starter I is from Iowa while the Iowa starter is from PA.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on this board, but how was the competition in room going between Gavin and Brody? Will Gavin be able to take the spot from him in January? If it's Teske, gotta be the first time a PSU 125 starter I is from Iowa while the Iowa starter is from PA.
Others might have more information than me. I don't think anything is decided at 125. Teasdale's situation is definitely unclear and the first issue is for him to get "healthy", back in school and doing well. Beyond that, I don't think we can make any projections for him. As far as I know Schnupp is still possible to hold down the starting job and RSing Teske. I believe how things go at the Scuffle will be a significant measuring point.

Others might have more information than me. I don't think anything is decided at 125. Teasdale's situation is definitely unclear and the first issue is for him to get "healthy", back in school and doing well. Beyond that, I don't think we can make any projections for him. As far as I know Schnupp is still possible to hold down the starting job and RSing Teske. I believe how things go at the Scuffle will be a significant measuring point.

Disagree. I think we can safely project Gavin will not be in the picture this season. The chances of him getting re-rostered after Christmas and then stepping in and making an impact are very, very low (IMHO).

In my very limited, and probably wrong, understanding, he would have to wait until classes start plus make weight, both mean a mid to late January start at best. PD3’s case was different (in so many ways) due to transfer, and the number of times he transfered.
I don’t think so Paul. The semester is Over at the end of finals. He can re-enroll anytime for Spring semester, make weight and go. If they had to wait for classes to start there would be a shit ton of freshman football, soccer and field hockey players standing around in the fall waiting for classes to start.

Pretty sure other schools have had ineligible guys for one reason or another in the fall show up wrestling on Christmas break.

I don’t think so Paul. The semester is Over at the end of finals. He can re-enroll anytime for Spring semester, make weight and go. If they had to wait for classes to start there would be a shit ton of freshman football, soccer and field hockey players standing around in the fall waiting for classes to start.

Pretty sure other schools have had ineligible guys for one reason or another in the fall show up wrestling on Christmas break.

As stated, I am probably wrong. I thought I remembered PD3 having to wait for classes to start, but, as I stated, his was a different case. Oh well, if I am wrong, and your logic makes sense, then add it to the list my wife has....

I'm pretty sure he has to be enrolled full-time in this situation. NCAA rules do allow certain sports to start prior to Fall semester, as you noted. They're defined in chart 17-2 in the Rulebook. That chart shows the "practice units" allowed before the first competition, as well as the competition date start. For example, Women's Soccer has a start date of August 16 allowed, and 21 "practice units" allowed prior. I saw nothing that allows wrestlers to compete unless enrolled.

How would his fall semester grades impact his immediate eligibility?

Maybe he took enough online classes that he could finish from home, that it wouldn't be an issue.

How would his fall semester grades impact his immediate eligibility?

Maybe he took enough online classes that he could finish from home, that it wouldn't be an issue.
Just going off the top of my head, but I don't think the first landmark for credits completed or GPA is until after the 2nd semester.

Just going off the top of my head, but I don't think the first landmark for credits completed or GPA is until after the 2nd semester.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Martellotti was academically ineligible the spring of his true freshman year.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Martellotti was academically ineligible the spring of his true freshman year.
You're right. I forgot about the 6 credits per semester requirement.

You need 24 credits/1.8 gpa prior to 2nd year of enrollment. But you also have to complete at least 6 each semester. I guess he could do 6 over break, but given the circumstances that is probably unlikely.

If the plan was to wrestle Schnupp until either Teske or Teasdale emerged as the starter and the other redshirted them I am not sure why there is any change to the plan now. Wrestle Teske, redshirt Teasdale and let him work on his “health” issue and get caught up in school; then next year you have options as to what to do with Teske, Teasdale and RBY concerning their weights and who wrestles and who doesn’t. If anything, this clarifies the situation for this year and simplifies things.

Is the Southern Scuffle considered an open tournament? I understand that there are unattached wrestlers, so does that automatically qualify it as open?

I’m being purely hypothetical in this instance, but I’m wondering if Teasdale, assuming he got things in order, could participate as an audition of sorts for not only Penn State but others as well.

Is the Southern Scuffle considered an open tournament? I understand that there are unattached wrestlers, so does that automatically qualify it as open?

I’m being purely hypothetical in this instance, but I’m wondering if Teasdale, assuming he got things in order, could participate as an audition of sorts for not only Penn State but others as well.
I don't think the Scuffle is an open.

The sooner you get over Teasdale the better off you will be.

Reactions: tikk10
The sooner you get over Teasdale the better off you will be.

Unfortunately, I expected a response like this. I have no feelings one way or the other about Gavin, other than I hope he is healthy and can have a productive life—in wrestling or not. I was just asking a hypothetical because I did not know the answer.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Unfortunately, I expected a response like this. I have no feelings one way or the other about Gavin, other than I hope he is healthy and can have a productive life—in wrestling or not. I was just asking a hypothetical because I did not know the answer.
I could be wrong on this but I’m thinking you have to be enrolled to be eligible to wrestle at the scuffle.

ADVERTISEMENT