ADVERTISEMENT

lowest seed to AA in 2024?!

Just another PSU Fan

Jan 25, 2013
Last year, #27 & #28 were in the 7th place bout at 125 ... Cardinale (WVU) the 28th seed on the bracket earned AA

Will we see another wrestler outside the top 16 earn AA in 2024? Who do think will earn AA outside the top 16?

There will be at least one guy in the 17-22 range who will battle onto the podium. I can’t tell you who, though.

A dark horse for highest seed to the finals is Bouzakis. He’ll get Fix in round 2, but if he can pull off the upset, and he’s talented enough to do it, his draw would really open up.

There will be at least one guy in the 17-22 range who will battle onto the podium. I can’t tell you who, though.

A dark horse for highest seed to the finals is Bouzakis. He’ll get Fix in round 2, but if he can pull off the upset, and he’s talented enough to do it, his draw would really open up.
Fix getting the #1 seed over Crookham was a joke.

If he's healthy: 21 Pitzer. He's 2-0 lifetime against Taylor. That would get him into the quarters.

There he'd get Schultz, who he beat last year and lost by 1 pt this year.

125 - Deaugustino (18)
133 - Zaccone (22)
141 - Matthews (18)
149 - Fernandez (9)
157 - Andonian (12)
165 - Amine (10)
174 - Sax (14) Thompson (25) Murphy (11)
184 - Foca (14)
197 - Elam (12) Hopkins (13)
Hwt - Feldman (9)

That's not how the Quality Wins criterion works. It's not best win or even best wins, it's all matches against qualifiers weighted to emphasize the better opponents.

Fix objectively wrestled a tougher schedule (Final Coaches Rank included):
CrookhamFix
3 Arujau (2x)4 Orine
9 Nagao8 Frost (2x)
14 Edmond
15 Teske
17 Cardinal (2x)
18 Chlebove
19 Farber
20 Phipps20 Phipps
21 Colaioccco
29 Santaniello29 Santaniello
T33 StricklandT33 Koelzer

Agreed that Arujau is better than Orine. But according to the criteria, they're both in the top tier, so they cancel each other out.

Yes, Crookham should get credit for beating Arujau 2x and not just once -- but then so should Fix for beating Frost 2x and Cardinal 2x. So that argument is a wash.

I think Crookham should've been the 1 seed -- and could justify flipping them by giving him credit for being OKST in the dual, alternatively assign Witcraft's loss to Fix for purposes of choosing between these 2. Of course, that's not among the list of Subjective Considerations, so good luck with that.

Also, last year doesn't count, period. We should never have a system where people get seeded for last year's results -- PIAA seeding should be a cautionary tale, not a role model.

Just let Willie seed them already.

How long will they go on about the 9th seed 174 grinding his way to the finals. So excited for his first match!

That's not how the Quality Wins criterion works. It's not best win or even best wins, it's all matches against qualifiers weighted to emphasize the better opponents.

Fix objectively wrestled a tougher schedule (Final Coaches Rank included):
CrookhamFix
3 Arujau (2x)4 Orine
9 Nagao8 Frost (2x)
14 Edmond
15 Teske
17 Cardinal (2x)
18 Chlebove
19 Farber
20 Phipps20 Phipps
21 Colaioccco
29 Santaniello29 Santaniello
T33 StricklandT33 Koelzer

Agreed that Arujau is better than Orine. But according to the criteria, they're both in the top tier, so they cancel each other out.

Yes, Crookham should get credit for beating Arujau 2x and not just once -- but then so should Fix for beating Frost 2x and Cardinal 2x. So that argument is a wash.

I think Crookham should've been the 1 seed -- and could justify flipping them by giving him credit for being OKST in the dual, alternatively assign Witcraft's loss to Fix for purposes of choosing between these 2. Of course, that's not among the list of Subjective Considerations, so good luck with that.

Also, last year doesn't count, period. We should never have a system where people get seeded for last year's results -- PIAA seeding should be a cautionary tale, not a role model.

Just let Willie seed them already.
Frost and Cardinal 2x does not cancel out Arujau 2x, a kid who dominated RBY in the final last year. Fix couldnt beat RBY, so who's better?

Frost and Cardinal 2x does not cancel out Arujau 2x, a kid who dominated RBY in the final last year. Fix couldnt beat RBY, so who's better?
Arujau only counts 1x. And he's canceled out by Orine. That's the rule.

I don't like it either but what's the other option for judging a schedule? Count Arujau 2x, sure, but that doesn't negate the fact that Fix wrestled many more NQs.

Also, are we really going down the road of who did what in past years? If so, then skip the indirect measurement of opponents last year -- go directly to Fix finishing 4th last year while Crookham was in HS. Fix wins the "who did what last year" concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: lookleft goright

I don't like it either but what's the other option for judging a schedule? Count Arujau 2x, sure, but that doesn't negate the fact that Fix wrestled many more NQs.

Also, are we really going down the road of who did what in past years? If so, then skip the indirect measurement of opponents last year -- go directly to Fix finishing 4th last year while Crookham was in HS. Fix wins the "who did what last year" concept.
Fix ducked Crookham in their dual. Its all that you need to know.

I know Fix has been around forever, and had his drug suspension, but if Nagao doesnt win it, I would like to see him win. Ty ere is something to be said for perseverance.

Crookham was at Lehigh last year. He went 8-1 but kept his eligibility. From what I was told he still was having issue with shoulder? that gave him some trouble in highschool.

Last edited:
This needs to be addressed in the subjective criteria. They need to add "head-to-head team results where only one wrestled" as a subjective criteria so that, if a guy ducks a match and his backup loses, that can be used as a subjective criteria against him. It needs to be a subjective criteria instead of part of the mandatory formula to allow actual people to separate true injuries from blatant ducks. The difference is obvious to anyone who follows the sport.

Crookham was at Lehigh last year. He went 8-1 but kept his eligibility. From what I was told he still was having issue with shoulder? that gave him some trouble in highschool.
Good catch, thanks.

Still doesn't change the fact that if last year's results are to be used at all, Fix did better last year. Which is yet another reason to not use last year's results.

You and I might know it, but it's impossible to prove. Wanna change seeds based upon unproveable ducking allegations? That will boomerang against a program whose guys don't compete when injured or ill.

The Law of Unintended Consequences is strong here.

Reactions: District four
This needs to be addressed in the subjective criteria. They need to add "head-to-head team results where only one wrestled" as a subjective criteria so that, if a guy ducks a match and his backup loses, that can be used as a subjective criteria against him. It needs to be a subjective criteria instead of part of the mandatory formula to allow actual people to separate true injuries from blatant ducks. The difference is obvious to anyone who follows the sport.
Correct

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT