ADVERTISEMENT

Many differences between last year vs Michigan and this year make me optimistic.

There are many differences between where this PSU team was vs Michigan last season and where they are now. Given all these listed below, I’m feeling pretty good about our chances tomorrow.
1. The PSU run game was beyond pitiful last year. It was a joke. This year we not only have Allen getting positive yards every play we have the home run threat of Singleton.
2. Clifford is relatively healthy this year. Last year he was a shell of himself.
3. PJ Mustipher is back and is a force. He was desperately missed last year.
4. Overall, the Oline is significantly improved. Without a doubt.
5. B Strange has taken a leap forward and is a serious threat. He was mediocre last year.

Some perspective, guys

I was on the road most of the day but managed to catch some of the game on the radio and now in the hotel room have read through the game thread here.

Bummer, man.

I honestly thought we'd spring the upset. At the very least I thought it would be a dogfight. Wrong on both counts. Oh well.

But let's not rush to jump off the ledge. At the beginning of the year, most of us thought 9-3 would be good. As bad as things were today, we're still looking at the solid possibility of 10-2 and a very nice bowl game.

OK, in the unlikely event that we lose the white-out next week against Minnesota, I might well join the pile-on.

Meanwhile, this was not a good day. But this is a young team with its best days still ahead.

As for Clifford, he's a great guy and decent player...but not a championship-caliber QB. That's just a hard fact. It always has been.

Regarding Franklin, it is what it is. He's not going to be cut loose at this point, so we sink or swim with the guy.

Let's put this game in the rear-view mirror and think about the Gophers. The narrative changes quickly in college football. Beat Minnesota and then, who knows. Hope springs eternal.

good game guys

Man, you made us sweat. Into the third quarter, it reminded me of games where we have been completely dominated but pulled off just enough big plays to win (like our first night game vs ND). But in reverse (shudder).

I hope Clifford is okay. He was your MVP today. He does a little bit of everything. Can throw deep, can scramble, throw the deep out, -and that FAKE! A lost art for most QBs.

You are the only team that has a chance vs Ohio State before the final game of the season. You have a history of playing the Bucks CRAZY tough at home. I think the Buckeyes fear you more than us.

Good luck the rest of the year.

Go Blue!

Next week - we won’t be ready

We are bad after a loss like this. Franklin sucks at refocusing the team. They will come out like a deflated bunch of mopes who got their lunch money stolen. Then once there’s nothing to play for, we will “turn the corner” at like 5-4 and finish 8-4. Franklin will give us false hope for next year and idiots like Chris will feed the narratives that Franklin does. I’m calling next week a 10 point loss now.

Bear Front

Buddy Ryan created the 46 defense. Great to stop run. You cover every OL. We don’t have the personnel to do that.

But, Bill Belichick uses a variation of that defense in short yardage. He brings 5th DL in and puts him right over the C. DT’s and DE’s cover the other OL. Can’t double team or pull. Penetration would disrupt play.

Franklin’s predecessor who is only good at smashing windows and power point presentations. Realized Wisky and Montee Ball were going to run us off the field in 2012. He adjusted at halftime and a bunch of f’ers pulled the upset.

We should have done that against Illinois last year. We’d have beaten them. And, yesterday. We probably don’t win. Offense isn’t any good either. But, it would have kept us in the game IMO. We didn’t have to be fearful of UM’s downfield passing game.

A little reality

Surely all PSU fans are suffering a bad hangover this morning. I am. But I want to put this into perspective and hope to get a few sane responses. We have seen a pattern develop with CJF. I think I first noticed it when we played USC and lost at the end regardless of a great game by Saquon. We seem to lack the intensity, aggression, and that is seen most in the OL and DL. IF I am right, do we blame CJF? Of course. But I also blame the AD. Wisconsin fired a fine coach a few weeks back. Why? He could not compete with OSU and Michigan and win. Yet, like CJF, he was a very winning coach. We recruit well, but not on a par with the top teams. The best OL and DL prospects go elsewhere. Something is wrong. IF it is important to win and be on top, that falls on the AD to get the right people coaching and recruiting. I do think that 9-2 is possible but maybe not probable. I feel Sean should have moved on. We need to develop Allar for next year, and maybe a little damage this year. It is my thought that we need to develop realism of offense. That means screen passes, quick hits over the middle, etc. Throwing fades to end zone or long passes was OK when we had Dotson or Godwin or Robinson. And, we need to coach "NASTY." Paterno's legacy was one wherein the opposing players always felt beat up after playing PSU - win or lose. You will hate this thought - hire Urban Meyer! He is a proven winner in big games. Ouch, that hurt, I know.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT