ADVERTISEMENT

I'm glad message boards didn’t exist 60 years ago

Imagine this scenario: A young college football head coach had a 5-5 record in his first season as head coach and his team did not make a bowl game. It took until his second year for that coach to lead his team to a bowl game.

In his first bowl game and with his team leading 17-0 in the second half, this young coach’s team had a fourth-and-inches from their OWN 15-yard line. You punt right? Your defense is pitching a shutout. Nobody goes for a fourth down from their OWN 15-yard line. That is crazy to even think about trying.

Sure enough, he had his team go for it and they failed to make the first down. The opposing team capitalized on the great field position and scored a quick touchdown. Any momentum that coach’s team had now belonged to their opponent.

The opposing team, now back in the football game, scored another touchdown and added a field goal and the game ended in a 17-17 tie.

Imagine the outcry from that school’s fans, college football fans and football “experts” on football message boards, on Facebook and on Twitter and on national and cable sports news shows for a coach going for it on fourth down from his own 15-yard line when ahead 17-0. The coach would be called an idiot. Fans would be calling for his job. Don’t let him back on the plane to come home! Fire him on the tarmac at the airport! It would be brutal and that is putting it mildly.

It is not the critic who counts...

Paralysis by Analysis

This IS THE problem offensively. Hearing Matt Mcgloin explained it on his podcast tonight. Too much thinking. Asking Clifford to make throws he can't make. Running too many long crossing routes. Making Cliff think instead of just play. Matt said they need to shorten the plays to the ones Cliff is comfortable with so he can just go play fast and not try to be something he isn't. Run the same concepts but with different formations, window dressing, give a defense a different look...

Right now you throw a deep fade on third down, you run a 4th and 6 with an impossible cross field NFL out throw to the opposite boundaries, on and on.

Whiteout game vs Minnesota on ABC

No surprise, but the Oct 22 Whiteout game versus Minnesota will be carried on ABC. It was previously announced as a kickoff of 7:30 PM but TV was not finalized.

If PSU and Minnesota win this weekend (neither a given), there is a decent chance that Gameday would come to town for the matchup. However, UCLA/Oregon seems like potentially the most likely destination.

Are there any leaders at the top of Penn State?

One is needed to assemble an exit strategy from the current football regime. Pronto.

$72 million buyout? Get creative and figure out a way. Other teams with less access to athletic wealth do it - it’s our turn. We need to clean up the Barbour/Barren mess. Those two grotesque incompetents have ruined our schools academic standing and flagship athletic program. Name buildings after them? Pathetic! They have done incredible damage to Penn State! Shame on those enablers. I am looking at you Brandon Short, etc. Shame!

Send Franklin packing. Give Manny the helm on an interim basis. And start dialog with Rhule right away.

Soon any memory of Penn State’s brand of smart, tough, classy, and WINNING football will fade away. Restoration needs to start tomorrow.

Joel Klatt on PSU VS Michigan

ON PENN STATE BEING A DIFFICULT TEST FOR MICHIGAN…
“Because Penn State has transformed. They're far different than they were a year ago and their strengths are actually right where you need to be strong to face Michigan. So from a matchup standpoint, this is a difficult matchup really for each team, which is why it's such an intriguing game, but certainly from the Michigan standpoint. And one guy stands out above any other for Penn State and it's not their quarterback Sean Clifford or even their great new running back Nick Singleton, a freshman … It's a guy that was hurt in the back half of last year and he makes them a really stout run defense and it's their defensive tackle PJ Mustipher. He's a really good player and if Michigan can't just own the line of scrimmage and run the ball with Blake Corum, that means the game is going to fall on the shoulders of young J.J. McCarthy. And that's a big moment and a big stage for a young quarterback at that point. So I think the game rests on PJ Mustpher and the Penn State's defense ability to try to make Michigan a one dimensional offense.”

ON QUESTIONS REGARDING MICHIGAN’S OFFENSIVE CEILING…

“The most important aspect for Michigan this year is they are faster. Now, they have not shown a lot of, let's just say offensive creativity over the last few weeks. And I'm wondering, I'm sitting there … in the back of my mind, I'm just sitting here and I'm wondering to myself, is this really their entire offense or are they saving something? Here's the thing here. The misconception about creativity on offense is that it's hard for the quarterback mentally. It's actually not OK? And the more creative you can be pre-snap, then the more vanilla you can be post-snap.

This is the way offensive should always be built. Make the defense look at a lot, movement, different formations, different personnel groups and then run the same five to 10 to 12 concepts out of those different looks. This is what makes Lincoln Riley so good. This is what makes Steve Sarkisian so good at the college level. And Michigan hasn't shown that. They've got heavy tendencies formationaly, and they're going to need to break those and get more creative if they want to win on Saturday.”

PSU talking noise on social media?

And then get ball shoved down our throats in the field.

Another great example of the fact that Franklin’s Penn State is undisciplined on the field.

I can remember about twice in Joe’s career where he his team was pushed around like today.

With Franklin, we get multiple games each year - even the good years.

This program is continuing to regress from 2016. It started when we blew the Rose Bowl to U$C.

It is time for a new approach.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT