ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take Kiffin over Franklin?

First, this whole board is based on nothing but poster opinions. Which is fine and makes for some good discussion which I enjoy.

Second, some short comings of Franklin have been on the offense side (some horrendous OC hires) and extremely poor game day coaching.

In my opinion, Kiffin’s offense mind is light years ahead of Franklin. I would take my chances with Kiffin every time.
His 10 points against Georgia and 17 points against Bama and Miss State certainly didn’t look light years ahead of anyone.

Even though it would mean the complete obliteration of everything “penn state” that remains? Would you be ok with our players dunking basketballs on the sideline if meant better playcalling? With our assistants creating fake twitter/x accounts to troll our opponents?

Now hear me out. I don’t mean to prop up Franklin. Those are just the actual things that they do at Ole Miss. So would you take Kiffin over Franklin? Would you be bothered by the things Kiffin does or you wouldn’t be? I’m just curious where everyone stands
No.

It would be unwise to hire a coach with serious prior character issues. It would feed the Sandusky win at all costs dirty program narrative. That’s why we cannot ever hire Urban Meyer and a few other characters as well that are great coaches but prone to serious issues.
Give me Urban any time!

His 10 points against Georgia and 17 points against Bama and Miss State certainly didn’t look light years ahead of anyone.

All I can say is look at Franklin‘s wonderful record against Ohio State and Michigan:

- Lost 80% of games against the B1G 2
- Lost 90% of games against Ohio State
- Has lost 6 consecutive games against the B1G 2
- Has a 4-16 record against the B1G 2

You can’t make this stuff up. An atrocious 10 year record against B1G peers.

Th lost decade of Franklin is enough.

All I can say is look at Franklin‘s wonderful record against Ohio State and Michigan:

I agree he needs to go, but Kiffin won’t provide wins against OSU or UM. His teams aren’t tough enough.

Reactions: lazydave841
I agree he needs to go, but Kiffin won’t provide wins against OSU or UM. His teams aren’t tough enough.

I never said I would replace Franklin with Kiffin. I simply answered the original posted question.

I would without hesitation take Kiffin over Franklin in terms of ranking coaches.

Reactions: hoflane
Even though it would mean the complete obliteration of everything “penn state” that remains? Would you be ok with our players dunking basketballs on the sideline if meant better playcalling? With our assistants creating fake twitter/x accounts to troll our opponents?

Now hear me out. I don’t mean to prop up Franklin. Those are just the actual things that they do at Ole Miss. So would you take Kiffin over Franklin? Would you be bothered by the things Kiffin does or you wouldn’t be? I’m just curious where everyone stands
Yes-winning equals money for PSU and NIL.....Its reality...Not JoePa anymore

I would without hesitation take Kiffin over Franklin in terms of ranking coaches.

That's just an emotional, fan of the team answer to say "without hesitation".

Kiffin faces the same issues as Franklin. He hasn't beat Bama. He isn't close to UGA. I think it'll be interesting to see them next year. They return a lot and have NIL'd an entire defense. However, if he doesn't change his DC, it won't matter. Golding couldn't put a good defense on the field at Bama. That says a lot.

Kiffin faces the same issues as Franklin. He hasn't beat Bama. He isn't close to UGA. I think it'll be interesting to see them next year. They return a lot and have NIL'd an entire defense. However, if he doesn't change his DC, it won't matter. Golding couldn't put a good defense on the field at Bama. That says a lot.

Again, I never said Kiffin would be my first choice to replace Franklin.

In a head-to-head comparison, Kiffin on his worse day is still a better game day coach than Franklin. If you can’t see that, you are simply in denial.

In a head-to-head comparison, Kiffin on his worse day is still a better game day coach than Franklin. If you can’t see that, you are simply in denial.

You may be right, but there just isn't no overwhelming evidence out there that says it's true. Kiffin will never lack for an OC job, but to say "on his worst" he's better than JF is just unfounded.

Call me when he wins the SEC once. Or he beats JF to a playoff win. Then I'll side with you.

Kiff also coaches at Ole Miss. A historically mediocre program in the most backward and poor state in the US that hasn’t won a conference title since 1963. He has several of the best and programs that spend the most money in his own division. He’s coaching at the Big 10 equivalent of Michigan State at best, but it’s really more like Minnesota. Yes, the rebels are starting to spend with NIL, but Ole Miss isn’t even in the top half of the SEC as far as resources and institutional commitment to the program.

PSU has a much better situation that he can’t take advantage of. PSU is the premier college football program in an area east of Ohio and north of Georgia. The largest alumni association in the country, a large portion of which is passionate about football and so on.

Kiff also coaches at Ole Miss. A historically mediocre program in the most backward and poor state in the US that hasn’t won a conference title since 1963. He has several of the best and programs that spend the most money in his own division. He’s coaching at the Big 10 equivalent of Michigan State at best, but it’s really more like Minnesota. Yes, the rebels are starting to spend with NIL, but Ole Miss isn’t even in the top half of the SEC as far as resources and institutional commitment to the program.

PSU has a much better situation that he can’t take advantage of. PSU is the premier college football program in an area east of Ohio and north of Georgia. The largest alumni association in the country, a large portion of which is passionate about football and so on.
...and Kiffin hasn't won jack squat, yet. He certainly has improved the Ole Miss program but he hasn't been under scrutiny because nobody in the SEC cares about the student-athletes. The programs watched closely are GA, AL, and LSU. And it is a lot easier to get to the status of "good try" than a championship, as we know at PSU. The major programs have so many more advantages in money, power, recruiting, Alumni and former NFL stars than PSU does. Watch Tom Brady help Michigan, Kirk Herbstriet for tOSU or Will Ferrel for USC.

Kudos to Kiff for his accomplishments at Ole Miss but he hasn't done anything that CJF has done so far.

Reactions: lazydave841
...and Kiffin hasn't won jack squat, yet. He certainly has improved the Ole Miss program but he hasn't been under scrutiny because nobody in the SEC cares about the student-athletes. The programs watched closely are GA, AL, and LSU. And it is a lot easier to get to the status of "good try" than a championship, as we know at PSU. The major programs have so many more advantages in money, power, recruiting, Alumni and former NFL stars than PSU does. Watch Tom Brady help Michigan, Kirk Herbstriet for tOSU or Will Ferrel for USC.

Kudos to Kiff for his accomplishments at Ole Miss but he hasn't done anything that CJF has done so far.
PSU should be a top ten program, that beats OSU and Michigan around 4 out of 10 times at least. Franklin perpetually underperforms. Kiffen has Ole Miss well above their historical mean.

PSU should be a top ten program, that beats OSU and Michigan around 4 out of 10 times at least. Franklin perpetually underperforms. Kiffen has Ole Miss well above their historical mean.
I really don't agree. The program took a massive fall after the JS scandal, like it or not. I'd have agree with you in 2010 but the school is still climbing out of that hole. We just don't have the NIL money.

I like Lane Kiffin as a coach. I think he has learned some things from his earlier missteps. He would be entertaining, for sure. But his teams have been more flash than substance. That may change next year with what they've done through NIL. My feeling is he'd be likely to bolt for a warm weather job and I'm not sure how sincere he is. He's made some enemies at previous stops. I will say I saw a side of him when he had a player injured a year or two back that that made me think he's a better person than many had him pegged for.

I've been critical of him, but I do think James Franklin seems like a decent guy, though there are a lot of people who see him as a used car salesman. I'll stick with him if those are my options. If he is back at this spot again where he has to fire a coordinator to deflect the blame then I think it's time to reassess.

no, would not take Kiffin over Franklin. I think kiffin would be like O'Brien and leave the moment that he had increased his value.

no, would not take Kiffin over Franklin. I think kiffin would be like O'Brien and leave the moment that he had increased his value.
Lane is still only 48, and has a good thing going at Ole Miss. I see him getting one more chance getting hired at an elite program, and he’ll be picky. For example, a Florida or Texas A&M is too risky. I think it will be a Texas or Alabama as his next and potentially final move/shot at a top program. I still think he will replace Saban in a few years if he stays out of trouble and keeps doing what he’s doing at Ole Miss.

I really don't agree. The program took a massive fall after the JS scandal, like it or not. I'd have agree with you in 2010 but the school is still climbing out of that hole. We just don't have the NIL money.
I disagree about JS, and we can’t keep using it as an excuse. The kids we’re recruiting now were barely out of diapers in 2011.

Agree on the NIL. We’re behind the curve and shouldn’t be. The $ = wins.

Lane is still only 48, and has a good thing going at Ole Miss. I see him getting one more chance getting hired at an elite program, and he’ll be picky. For example, a Florida or Texas A&M is too risky. I think it will be a Texas or Alabama as his next and potentially final move/shot at a top program. I still think he will replace Saban in a few years if he stays out of trouble and keeps doing what he’s doing at Ole Miss.

I guess I am just not seeing what he has done. He already had a chance at USC, which he went to after a very short time at Tennessee. He didn't do anything remarkable at any of the places he has been. This season at Ole Miss is probably his highlight so far.

I guess I am just not seeing what he has done. He already had a chance at USC, which he went to after a very short time at Tennessee. He didn't do anything remarkable at any of the places he has been. This season at Ole Miss is probably his highlight so far.
He has been a very good OC/play caller for a while, but was immature and a mediocre head coach prior to his time with Saban.

He was lights out an an OC at Bama and Saban trusted him to transition the program to the shotgun/spread QB centric offense. He did well at FAU as he continued his “rehab” stint, and has Ole Miss on the cusp of competing for SEC titles, something they historically do about once every 20 years.

Reactions: blair10
He has been a very good OC/play caller for a while, but was immature and a mediocre head coach prior to his time with Saban.

He was lights out an an OC at Bama and Saban trusted him to transition the program to the shotgun/spread QB centric offense. He did well at FAU as he continued his “rehab” stint, and has Ole Miss on the cusp of competing for SEC titles, something they historically do about once every 20 years.
he was at FAU for a few seasons and I it was up and down. I don't think he actually has ole miss on the cusp of an sec title. i'm not seeing it

he was at FAU for a few seasons and I it was up and down. I don't think he actually has ole miss on the cusp of an sec title. i'm not seeing it
Competing for SEC titles I said. His two losses were Georgia and Bama. Yes, making over that mountain is another large step, but it’s fair to say he’s getting in the ballpark.

Would you not agree the Bama offense was very good under Saban, and it hadn’t been killer under every OC.

He’s the only coach to leave FAU with a winning record, and he won 2/3 of his games there. They haven’t fired bums in Boca either.

Competing for SEC titles I said. His two losses were Georgia and Bama. Yes, making over that mountain is another large step, but it’s fair to say he’s getting in the ballpark.

Would you not agree the Bama offense was very good under Saban, and it hadn’t been killer under every OC.

He’s the only coach to leave FAU with a winning record, and he won 2/3 of his games there. They haven’t fired bums in Boca either.
the Alabama offense was very good. they also get basically whoever they want in terms of players

Doesn't look as if PSU can take advantage of any of that either. Should be killing it in NIL but all I hear is "not enough money", so that alumni stuff means jackshit.

I'm sure you all loved kiffen when he recruited silas redd to usc.

Nope

Can you cite us Kiffin’s record against Georgia and Alabama?

I disagree about JS, and we can’t keep using it as an excuse. The kids we’re recruiting now were barely out of diapers in 2011.

Agree on the NIL. We’re behind the curve and shouldn’t be. The $ = wins.

I think I heard Neuheisel state on SiriusXM CFB that a current head coach told him for every $1 million in player NIL, expect that as your win total. So does the PSU roster have $10-12 million committed?

Kind of like Penn State’s only 2 losses were to Michigan and OSU huh? I checked and I think Kiffin’s lifetime record against Top Ten teams is 1-11.

Franklin's been here what nine or 10 years. How long has Kiffin stayed in one place and do you think State College would be the perfect fit for him???? Seriously????

Kind of like Penn State’s only 2 losses were to Michigan and OSU huh? I checked and I think Kiffin’s lifetime record against Top Ten teams is 1-11.

That is about average. The field goes about 10-110 vs the top 10 during the regular season. Once the conference championships and bowls start the top 10 knock each other off. Top 10 vs top 10 are only .500 and it is usually only the top 5 who will have winning records vs the top 10.

For those who frown on Kiffin because of sideline antics and whatnot, I assume you're also holding our players and coaches to the same standard by virtue of the enormous amounts of trash talk and chest-thumping that our guys (especially on defense) engage in?

I personally don't have issues with it. But if we're going to be traditionalist about things and judge Kiffin according to Paterno-like standards, then our own reputation deserves to be considered. And we have a reputation for being loud-mouthed and showboating. I think that partly stems from the culture that Franklin inspires......and I don't think that's a bad thing. But it's definitely not in keeping with Paterno's norms of behavior.

Kiffin has achieved similar results as Franklin, but with less talent and fewer resources. He has gone all-in on the portal this offseason, so we'll see if Ole Miss takes the next step this coming year. If they do, then this is a different conversation in about 11 months.

For those who frown on Kiffin because of sideline antics and whatnot, I assume you're also holding our players and coaches to the same standard by virtue of the enormous amounts of trash talk and chest-thumping that our guys (especially on defense) engage in?

I personally don't have issues with it. But if we're going to be traditionalist about things and judge Kiffin according to Paterno-like standards, then our own reputation deserves to be considered. And we have a reputation for being loud-mouthed and showboating. I think that partly stems from the culture that Franklin inspires......and I don't think that's a bad thing. But it's definitely not in keeping with Paterno's norms of behavior.

Kiffin has achieved similar results as Franklin, but with less talent and fewer resources. He has gone all-in on the portal this offseason, so we'll see if Ole Miss takes the next step this coming year. If they do, then this is a different conversation in about 11 months.
Kiffen had more talent at usc. Fact. It was not psu recruiting USCs best player during sanctions. Franklin actually has a better record vs the top 10. Kiffen is only 1-11 per someone's post. Kiffen makes more which is a negative per the joebots.

Again, I never said Kiffin would be my first choice to replace Franklin.

I thought your goal was to beat the top 10. What is kiffens record? 1-11.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT