ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take Kiffin over Franklin?

Zone-Blitz

Oct 27, 2013
Even though it would mean the complete obliteration of everything “penn state” that remains? Would you be ok with our players dunking basketballs on the sideline if meant better playcalling? With our assistants creating fake twitter/x accounts to troll our opponents?

Now hear me out. I don’t mean to prop up Franklin. Those are just the actual things that they do at Ole Miss. So would you take Kiffin over Franklin? Would you be bothered by the things Kiffin does or you wouldn’t be? I’m just curious where everyone stands

Even though it would mean the complete obliteration of everything “penn state” that remains? Would you be ok with our players dunking basketballs on the sideline if meant better playcalling? With our assistants creating fake twitter/x accounts to troll our opponents?

Now hear me out. I don’t mean to prop up Franklin. Those are just the actual things that they do at Ole Miss. So would you take Kiffin over Franklin? Would you be bothered by the things Kiffin does or you wouldn’t be? I’m just curious where everyone stands
Not in this universe.

Yes, what is so evil about Lane Kiffen? Yes he was a bit of jerk/not ready when he had the Raiders and USC jobs years ago. He’s turned into a fine football coach.

Reactions: manilion

Perhaps @ PSU he would be much less involved in those types of shenanigans?

For a championship, I would take Urban Meyer, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Jackie Sherrill or any other coach with a scummy reputation short of Art Briles. Give me SMU’s BOT from 1985 with Texas A &M boosters.

There is zero integrity left in college football. Players are mercenaries. Coaches get generational money for one contract at a lower level P4 school. Pretty sure most players don’t even attend class in person any longer, and take BS majors and have their work done by tutors. When was the last time we heard about a player being academically ineligible? At this point, just freaking win.

Reactions: 84Lion
I don’t think the Penn State boosters are sleazy enough for Kiffen. The man doesn't seem to have much of a guilty conscience. It is what it is.
Why do boosters need to be sleazy in 2024? Kids are getting paid and it’s all above board. They can literally hand a kid 25k and make up virtually and bogus reason for the payment under NIL.

For a championship, I would take Urban Meyer, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Jackie Sherrill or any other coach with a scummy reputation short of Art Briles. Give me SMU’s BOT from 1985 with Texas A &M boosters.

There is zero integrity left in college football. Players are mercenaries. Coaches get generational money for one contract at a lower level P4 school. Pretty sure most players don’t even attend class in person any longer, and take BS majors and have their work done by tutors. When was the last time we heard about a player being academically ineligible? At this point, just freaking win.
This is exactly what i was getting at. Does the “penn state way”, “success with honor “ still matter and to whom? Is it still relevant in today’s college football? That’s why im wondering if anyone would take Kiffin despite his shenanigans because does it matter anymore? We could have a hell of an offense

no
thankfully it's not a binary

Why do boosters need to be sleazy in 2024? Kids are getting paid and it’s all above board. They can literally hand a kid 25k and make up virtually and bogus reason for the payment under NIL.
I get what you’re saying, I just don’t think PSU will play the same game. PSU boosters are more inclined to take fine young men and guide them for success, off the field.

This is exactly what i was getting at. Does the “penn state way”, “success with honor “ still matter and to whom? Is it still relevant in today’s college football? That’s why im wondering if anyone would take Kiffin despite his shenanigans because does it matter anymore?
I don’t think it does.

Academics are a farce, even at Penn State. Even at Michigan and Notre Dame. The kids that are smart breeze through and graduate in 3 years max. Now, many are taking advantage of starting grad classes, which is great. Many of the players don’t care one bit about school, yet they all stay eligible.

Cheating. I don’t even know how a program can cheat anymore. Tampering through agents in the portal? Already happening with no consequences. Players getting paid? All completely legal with virtually no rules. I guess the NCAA can still pop a school for calling a player during a dead period, which seems so goofy when said player is expecting a school to pay him hundreds of thousands in NIL for his commitment.

Reactions: PAgeologist
I get what you’re saying, I just don’t think PSU will play the same game. PSU boosters are more inclined to take fine young men and guide them for success, off the field.
I want it to be this way too, but I don’t think PSU can find enough fine young men to compete.

Thank You, Thank You, and Thank You!!!

Reactions: PAgeologist

Why does t he basketball hoop thing bother people? I don't like a lot of what these kids do and like but they're the ones playing. If things I consider are dumb help motivate them they should do it.

Kiffin/Franklin is basically a wash right now on who is going to be the vetted guy to have 5 years from now.

Until this stupid unrealistic mindset changes there will be no chance at a title.

Reactions: diontechristmas
The holier than thou stuff needs to stop

• Love
Reactions: blair10
I agree, the world of sports is different. I hope some of the boosters that can really make a difference, feel the same.

Definitely not take Kiffin over Franklin….and the choice is not close.
— Now, if I need a wingman to a weekend fraternity party, Kiffin wins….. also not close.

Why does t he basketball hoop thing bother people? I don't like a lot of what these kids do and like but they're the ones playing. If things I consider are dumb help motivate them they should do it.

Kiffin/Franklin is basically a wash right now on who is going to be the vetted guy to have 5 years from now.
The basketball hoop thing is no worse than the turnover chain, lawn Boyz crap, and whatever number of stupid gimmicks out there. The gimmicks are another thing I personally don't care for, but oh well.

The basketball hoop thing is no worse than the turnover chain, lawn Boyz crap, and whatever number of stupid gimmicks out there. The gimmicks are another thing I personally don't care for, but oh well.
My thoughts exactly. I don't like it but...they do so is what it is

Definitely not take Kiffin over Franklin….and the choice is not close.
— Now, if I need a wingman to a weekend fraternity party, Kiffin wins….. also not close.
Why isn't it close as far as a coach?
You may be right with me and others missing something but they seem pretty comparable right now

The difference in Kiffin and Franklin is philosophy. Kiffin is an offensive minded coach who has never lost less than 2 conference games at the P5 level. Franklin comes off as offensive minded, but his teams have been nearly split between relying on offense or defense who has never lost less than 2 games at the P5 level.

Franklin has 1 conference title, but it's 8 years old now. Kiffin has 0 (not counting G of 5), but is at a much lesser program historically.

Kiffin might have a slightly better record vs top 25 teams, but other than LSU this year he has yet to beat one of his Bama or UGA counterparts. Some of his were ranked at the time, but didn't finished ranked. Think UK in '22.

It would be interesting to see how he could recruit at PSU. Anybody who says no way is just afraid of changing. He's a flashier De Bord who is setting up '24 for a run.

Is this a trick question?

Kiffin is on another planet compared to Franklin.

Of course I would take Kiffin over Franklin in a heartbeat.
Based on what other than your opinion? It’s certainly not based on results in the W/L column. Kiffin’s had two good years and two bad years at Ole Miss and one good year and two bad years at USC and a bad year at Tennessee. Not exactly screaming next NC head coach.

Why isn't it close as far as a coach?
You may be right with me and others missing something but they seem pretty comparable right now
It’s not close in the aggregate. Coaching ( and playing, to a lesser degree) has/have a lot of moving parts…..and until some “entity” reigns it in, will likely become more complicated. If there is any desire at all, to retain some semblance of the “Success with Honor” model… Then Franklin’s my guy. — If it’s just the “Wild, Wild West” , then Kiffin has a clear advantage — Kiffin, as an “ X’s and O’s” guy/ offensive mind , is excellent . He’s been to 4-5 differ places in the last 10 years or so….. and he’s a “ hired gun”, and he’s good at it. Franklin is a good ( not yet great ) coach. He’s clearly made, or allowed his OC to make, a few “bonehead” calls at critical times in very important games, but otherwise , is pretty solid. He is very good at recruiting, identifying talent, developing talent , managing, PR, relationships, breaking down film, and maintaining some semblance of “ Success with Honor” with the athletes. With that, & double digit wins in 4 or 5 + of his 10 years, the benefits of choosing/keeping him outweigh the risks in a very volatile NCAA environment. JMO

Last edited:
It’s not close in the aggregate. Coaching ( and playing, to a lesser degree) has/have a lot of moving parts…..and until some “entity” reigns it in, will likely become more complicated. If there is any desire at all, to retain the “Success with Honor” model… Then Franklin’s my guy. — If it’s just the “Wild, Wild West” , then Kiffin has a clear advantage — Kiffin, as an “ X’s and O’s” guy/ offensive mind , is excellent . He’s been to 4-5 differ places in the last 10 years or so….. and he’s a “ hired gun”, and he’s good at it. Franklin is a good ( not yet great ) coach. He’s clearly made, or allowed his OC to make, a few “bonehead” calls at critical times in very important games, but otherwise , is pretty solid. He is very good at recruiting, identifying talent, developing talent , managing, PR, relationships, breaking down film, and maintaining some semblance of “ Success with Honor” with the athletes. With that, & double digit wins in 4 or 5 + of his 10 years, the benefits of choosing/keeping him outweigh the risks in a very volatile NCAA environment. JMO
The only teams that do Success with Honor are the service academies.

Reactions: Bob2022

What has he ever won? Why would he take a pay cut to coach here?

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter2
This is exactly what i was getting at. Does the “penn state way”, “success with honor “ still matter and to whom? Is it still relevant in today’s college football? That’s why im wondering if anyone would take Kiffin despite his shenanigans because does it matter anymore? We could have a hell of an offense
PSU has been at a crossroads for a while now. Do they want to continue to value the way things were under Paterno, or do they want to win championships? Are these things mutually exclusive in today's CFB landscape? I'd like to think they are not, but the programs that are consistently at the top are not the programs known for the academics and culture PSU valued in the past.

Franklin is trying his best to do both, while slowly inching the culture ever closer to the championship level football by getting more and more money from the athletic department for things like coaching salaries and facilities. That's why I think Franklin is great for PSU, not many coaches can do both. If others just want titles at any cost, I could understand why they'd disagree and just want to back up the Brinks truck to hire a top flight football coach. Of course you better get that hire right, or next thing you know you're Nebraska.

It’s not close in the aggregate. Coaching ( and playing, to a lesser degree) has/have a lot of moving parts…..and until some “entity” reigns it in, will likely become more complicated. If there is any desire at all, to retain some semblance of the “Success with Honor” model… Then Franklin’s my guy. — If it’s just the “Wild, Wild West” , then Kiffin has a clear advantage — Kiffin, as an “ X’s and O’s” guy/ offensive mind , is excellent . He’s been to 4-5 differ places in the last 10 years or so….. and he’s a “ hired gun”, and he’s good at it. Franklin is a good ( not yet great ) coach. He’s clearly made, or allowed his OC to make, a few “bonehead” calls at critical times in very important games, but otherwise , is pretty solid. He is very good at recruiting, identifying talent, developing talent , managing, PR, relationships, breaking down film, and maintaining some semblance of “ Success with Honor” with the athletes. With that, & double digit wins in 4 or 5 + of his 10 years, the benefits of choosing/keeping him outweigh the risks in a very volatile NCAA environment. JMO
So it's close then unless your focus in Success with Honor? I fully support anyone wanting Franklin over Kiffin for any reason but they're pretty even looking at them as coaches.

It would be unwise to hire a coach with serious prior character issues. It would feed the Sandusky win at all costs dirty program narrative. That’s why we cannot ever hire Urban Meyer and a few other characters as well that are great coaches but prone to serious issues.

Why? Because Kiffin beat a seriously depleted PSU on Saturday? Gimme a break.

Nope. Has nothing to do with the Peach bowl.

Kiffin is an offense guru and has the track record to prove it.

Meanwhile, Franklin is on his 6th offense coordinator in 10 years. Only the Moorhead years did Penn State have explosive offenses. Not a good look for Franklin’s ability to hire good offense coaches. I won’t even get started on the failed WR coach hires.

It would be unwise to hire a coach with serious prior character issues. It would feed the Sandusky win at all costs dirty program narrative. That’s why we cannot ever hire Urban Meyer and a few other characters as well that are great coaches but prone to serious issues.
Who cares about the narrative?
The narrative only matters if you care about the "Success with Honor" being what we're known as in 2024.

Nope. Has nothing to do with the Peach bowl.

Kiffin is an offense guru and has the track record to prove it.

Meanwhile, Franklin is on his 6th offense coordinator in 10 years. Only the Moorhead years did Penn State have explosive offenses. Not a good look for Franklin’s ability to hire good offense coaches. I won’t even get started on the failed WR coach hires.
Give Kiffin Allar and I assure everyone no one is asking to see Beau play.

Based on what other than your opinion? It’s certainly not based on results in the W/L column. Kiffin’s had two good years and two bad years at Ole Miss and one good year and two bad years at USC and a bad year at Tennessee. Not exactly screaming next NC head coach.

First, this whole board is based on nothing but poster opinions. Which is fine and makes for some good discussion which I enjoy.

Second, some short comings of Franklin have been on the offense side (some horrendous OC hires) and extremely poor game day coaching.

In my opinion, Kiffin’s offense mind is light years ahead of Franklin. I would take my chances with Kiffin every time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT