ADVERTISEMENT

WIN Magazine 2018 Recruiting Class Rankings

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
can be accessed at THIS LINK.

WIN Mag had PSU ranked #1 after the early signing period, but dropped them to #2, behind Ohio State, in the final rankings.

Their top 5:

1. Ohio State
2. PSU
3. Mizzou
4. NC State
5. Minnesota

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Don't think Iowa needed a big recruiting class this year, especially with the DeSanto transfer. They are young and will have a solid lineup over the next few years. Next recruiting cycle is a different story however, and they will need a strong class for the future.

Can’t say I am a fan of their rankings. PSU a clear number 1 imo. And Michigan can’t make the top 5 with 2 consensus top 10 pound for pound guys and a cadet world champ?

Reactions: andegre
Opening line says it all, and I'm pretty sure I know which scenario most head coaches would choose (unless, for example, he's starting up a new program).

"Is it quality or quantity?

That’s always the key question in recruiting and both played a role in determining the winner of this year’s WINrecruiting derby."

Can’t say I am a fan of their rankings. PSU a clear number 1 imo. And Michigan can’t make the top 5 with 2 consensus top 10 pound for pound guys and a cadet world champ?
The wrestling recruiting rankings tend to be weighted towards quantity and not quality, just the opposite of what it should be.

The wrestling recruiting rankings tend to be weighted towards quantity and not quality, just the opposite of what it should be.
Seems to be a combination of both. NC State, with 15 recruits, tops the top-5 list, while PSU has the fewest, at 8. tOSU has 13, Mizz 10, and Minny 11, yet PSU is ahead of them, based on quality.

On paper, tOSU and PSU both have great classes...now the fun begins and we see how they adapt to college and their new digs away from home, respond to their new coaching staffs, deal with all aspects of college and social life that comes with being a freshman, etc. As a wrestler, there's so many factors in their development, and as I've heard Cael say many times, it's really up to them and what they want. The coaches will create the environment, and make success available to them.

You would think they would have caught on by now with PSU and Ohio State’s success in recent years based off studs. It isn’t football, where 40-50 people contribute, or basketball where the top 10-15 only spend one year in college. Only 10 starters and usually 8 or less that score at NCAAs and frankly the lower AA placers don’t give you a ton of points.

Reactions: Ski
All recruiting services are weighted towards bigger classes. I prefer the average rating of a class and how teams fill need spots.

Meh, it's Win Magazine
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ski and Dogwelder
Meh, it's Win Magazine
This^^, many times over. WIN tends to take a contrarian slant to their recruiting rankings. They clearly want to be different from other rankings, probably to stand out and generate discussion, even if it's mostly negative.

Meh.

Looks like Yianni has a younger brother coming along in couple years.
Anyone know how we sit with Beau Bartlett ??

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT