ADVERTISEMENT

PSU 14th hardest 2024 schedule according to this list of all 134 D1 schedules

EdwardoCarrachio

Dec 15, 2023
Top 10 hardest below. Michigan 5th hardest. Ohio St the 2nd weakest in the B1G at #57. The rest in link. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/college-football-schedule-rankings-easiest-to-hardest-1-to-134

10 Vanderbilt 434

Hardest Game: Oct 26 Texas

Easiest Game: Sept 7 Alcorn State

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 28

9 Georgia Tech 427.5

Hardest Game: Nov 30 at Georgia

Easiest Game: Sept 14 VMI

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 45

8 West Virginia 422.5

Hardest Game: Aug 31 Penn State

Easiest Game: Sept 7 Albany

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 4

7 Houston 421.5

Hardest Game: Sept 7 at Oklahoma

Easiest Game: Aug 31 UNLV

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 25

6 Arizona State 414

Hardest Game: Nov 30 at Arizona

Easiest Game: Aug 31 Wyoming

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 19

5 Michigan 409

Hardest Game: Nov 30 at Ohio State

Easiest Game: Sept 14 Arkansas State

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 61

4 Purdue 379.5

Hardest Game: Nov 9 at Ohio State

Easiest Game: Sept 7 Indiana State

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 1

3 UCLA 344.5

Hardest Game: Oct 5 at Penn State

Easiest Game: Nov 30 Fresno State

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 64

2 Florida 317.5

Hardest Game: Nov 9 at Texas

Easiest Game: Sept 7 Samford

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 6

1 USC 296.5

Hardest Game: Sept 21 at Michigan

Easiest Game: Sept 7 Utah State

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 39

Seems legit. I wouldn't include Arizona State though.

14 Penn State 443

Hardest Game: Nov 2 Ohio State

Easiest Game: Sept 21 Kent State

2023 Schedule Difficulty Ranking: 65

A couple of observations.
Nobody named Alabama, Georgia or LSU on this list supporting the long standing belief that they play soft schedules.
USC and UCLA in for a rude awakening from travel and degree of difficulty.
Only Penn State mentioned as toughest game twice, UCLA and West Virginia.

Nobody named Alabama, Georgia or LSU on this list supporting the long standing belief that they play soft schedules.
Texas was twice.
Ohio State twice.

I guess these "strength of schedule" comparison are somewhat credible but the problem is that the really top teams don't have themselves on their schedule to prop up their difficulty ratings....if that makes sense. Teams playing Georgia, OSU, Texas, Oregon etc..... get a boost whereas those teams get penalized (SOS) for not having anyone as good as themselves on their schedule.

When I compare the SOS CF top teams, I only look at the top 4 or 5 on schedules. Doing that, I actually think Michigan has the toughest - an absolute killer schedule - as they could be in for a letdown this year. If UM makes it to the Playoffs this year, they will have earned it and are definitely legit. The good thing for Michigan is that Texas, USC and Oregon are all in Ann Arbor and they have 8 home games this year.

I guess these "strength of schedule" comparison are somewhat credible but the problem is that the really top teams don't have themselves on their schedule to prop up their difficulty ratings....if that makes sense. Teams playing Georgia, OSU, Texas, Oregon etc..... get a boost whereas those teams get penalized (SOS) for not having anyone as good as themselves on their schedule.

When I compare the SOS CF top teams, I only look at the top 4 or 5 on schedules. Doing that, I actually think Michigan has the toughest - an absolute killer schedule - as they could be in for a letdown this year. If UM makes it to the Playoffs this year, they will have earned it and are definitely legit. The good thing for Michigan is that Texas, USC and Oregon are all in Ann Arbor and they have 8 home games this year.
For me, when it comes to SEC and Big Ten teams it's about do you have an elite non-conference game. If not, you need to do better. I'm not giving teams credit for opponents they were forced to play. Our schedule is average because the Big Ten is still top heavy and we're avoiding one if the two best.

For me, when it comes to SEC and Big Ten teams it's about do you have an elite non-conference game. If not, you need to do better. I'm not giving teams credit for opponents they were forced to play. Our schedule is average because the Big Ten is still top heavy and we're avoiding one if the two best.
The SEC playing one less conference game and one more patsy (always before rivalry week) really weakens the difficulty of their schedules. Plus, they very rarely let their big boys play really tough teams in back to back weeks. The SEC is much smarter than the B1G in this regard.

Yeah, I guess I used to think the same but with the B1G and SEC gobbling up all the top CF teams, my view is changing.

A perfect example is OSU. They've played at least one big non-conference almost every year this century and scheduled Oregon a few years back before it was announced that Oregon would be joining the B1G so they probably had to gobble up a substitute at the last moment for Oregon in 2024 - OSU plays Oregon on Oct. 12. A strong B1G or SEC schedule going forward will be different than in years past

Reactions: NedFromYork
Yeah, I guess I used to think the same but with the B1G and SEC gobbling up all the top CF teams, my view is changing.

A perfect example is OSU. They've played at least one big non-conference almost every year this century and scheduled Oregon a few years back before it was announced that Oregon would be joining the B1G so they probably had to gobble up a substitute at the last moment for Oregon in 2024. A strong B1G or SEC schedule going forward will be different than in years past
Yes and where are Ohio St's national championships? They have been invisible lately despite always having top 3 roster talent. Yet Alabama and Georgia have shared most of the championships with a Clemson, LSU or Michigan sprinkled in.

A perfect example is OSU. They've played at least one big non-conference almost every year this century and scheduled Oregon a few years back before it was announced that Oregon would be joining the B1G so they probably had to gobble up a substitute at the last moment for Oregon in 2024 - OSU plays Oregon on Oct. 12. A strong B1G or SEC schedule going forward will be different than in years past
Even with that...which is fair...look at future schedules for Michigan and Ohio State and compare them with us. We schedule scared. It needs to stop

Yes and where are Ohio St's national championships? They have been invisible lately despite always having top 3 roster talent. Yet Alabama and Georgia have shared most of the championships with a Clemson, LSU or Michigan sprinkled in.
Agree, and you can bet the heat is on Ryan Day this year as I've seen many forecasts saying they have the best talent in the country in 2024 especially with those insane Portal players, But they haven't lost more than 2 games - in a year - since that Tressel scandal year in what, 2010 or 2011? - and have won a few Playoff games including the NC in 2015. I just read on Eleven Warriors - a couple of days ago - that OSU has had only 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s....that's mind boggling. They are extremely consistent but they fall just short sometimes on the big stage.

If you look at all of those teams you mentioned, the one thing they all have in common - including OSU in 2015 (Urban Meyer) is a top-notch HC. Not so sure Ryan day qualifies there. He might not be there next year if he doesn't win big in 2024

UCLA will be making their second trip to the East in 2024, and I believe their second trip to the East in a span of three weeks, when they travel to State College in early October, which has to have a negative effect; it would have a negative effect if a NFL team had to do that, and those players are used to that.

Last edited:
Agree, and you can bet the heat is on Ryan Day this year as I've seen many forecasts saying they have the best talent in the country in 2024 especially with those insane Portal players, But they haven't lost more than 2 games - in a year - since that Tressel scandal year in what, 2010 or 2011? - and have won a few Playoff games including the NC in 2015. I just read on Eleven Warriors - a couple of days ago - that OSU has had only 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s....that's mind boggling. They are extremely consistent but they fall just short sometimes on the big stage.

If you look at all of those teams you mentioned, the one thing they all have in common - including OSU in 2015 (Urban Meyer) is a top-notch HC. Not so sure Ryan day qualifies there. He might not be there next year if he doesn't win big in 2024
That's coaching. They have the talent to be Alabama or Georgia. Instead they are Clemson before Clemson became Clemson. Day is the perfect born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple.

UCLA will be making their second trip to the East in 2024 when they travel to State College in early October, which has to have a negative effect; it would have a negative effect if a NFL team had to do that, and those players are used to that.
I think the former PAC teams are going to be in for an awakening. B1G teams play defense. Oregon and USC have top talent but I think they are a step down from the top of the B1G.

• Love
Reactions: OKLionFan
Even with that...which is fair...look at future schedules for Michigan and Ohio State and compare them with us. We schedule scared. It needs to stop
Not sure about that but the one great thing I like about going forward is the 12-team Playoff which will let teams with one bad game or being upset in a season still have a chance at a NC. Perfect examples are Georgia and OSU in 2023. I honestly believe both those teams were as good (or better talent-wise) than Michigan or Alabama but paid the price with close game losses. In this year's format, OSU and Georgia (and possibly PSU also) would be in and have a 2nd chance

And, yes, that OSU QB McCord threw that Interception when they were driving for the winning TD against Michigan but that was more on their crap OL - it sucked in 2023. I gotta laugh at the dumba$$ OSU fans that pointed fingers at McCord.

Reactions: lazydave841
I think the former PAC teams are going to be in for an awakening. B1G teams play defense. Oregon and USC have top talent but I think they are a step down from the top of the B1G.
Just look what Michigan did to Washington this past season, and I'd be surprised if any West Coast school has a more complete offense this season than Washington had last season, and both OSU's and PSU's defenses should be excellent.

The 2024 version of USC could be really dangerous if - a BIG IF - Lincoln Riley can ever figure out how to put a decent defense on the field. Their offense will - once again - be top 5 or so.

As for Oregon, they are loaded and Lanning is a top coach. But the one big thing that Oregon has going is Uncle Phil's (Nike's Phil Knight) huge money donations. He gives them whatever they need

While I am in agreement….remember the talking head experts said the same about us when we joined the B2G.

We won the league title in the second year and they have never forgiven us for that transgression!😹

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Just look what Michigan did to Washington this past season, and I'd be surprised if any West Coast school has a more complete offense this season than Washington had last season, and both OSU's and PSU's defenses should be excellent.
Two points.

The first is not directed specifically at you. The expanded B1G has changed the landscape of scheduling. PSU has one of the most difficult schedules in the nation and our only Power Five non-conference game is WVu. We then have Illinois, UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Washington, Purdue, and Minnesota. Every one of those teams is likely to be in a bowl game with UCLA being the longest shot. Every one of them has a very good coach and program. Any of them can beat PSU if we don't play well.

Second, Washington had a sixth-year QB and a ton of kids who came back to play when they didn't have to. Part of this was the "COVID Rules" which gave players another year for college ball. I recall a talking head saying that W was the oldest team in the top 20 last year. I'll be surprised if W can sustain that level of success, especially after losing their HC. Oregon and USC seem like better bets as they have great coaching, sustained programs, and a ton of money.

The 2024 version of USC could be really dangerous if - a BIG IF - Lincoln Riley can ever figure out how to put a decent defense on the field. Their offense will - once again - be top 5 or so.

As for Oregon, they are loaded and Lanning is a top coach. But the one big thing that Oregon has going is Uncle Phil's (Nike's Phil Knight) huge money donations. He gives them whatever they need
USC hired a former PSU CB and a guy who knows B1G defenses in D'Anton Lynn as DC. His coaching has been in the NFL and some question his "chops" to be DC after only being a position coach in the NFL.

Add Michigan to that excellent defense list - they should be really good especially their DL. Their offense, however, got gutted including their top 6 OL which I thought was the strength of the team in 2023. They'll still be dangerous though.

Don't count out Oregon in 2024. They are loaded and already in many preseason top 5 including ESPN's. I would not be shocked to see OSU, PSU, and Oregon in the 12-team Playoff with Michigan having an outside shot

USC hired a former PSU CB and a guy who knows B1G defenses in D'Anton Lynn as DC. His coaching has been in the NFL and some question his "chops" to be DC after only being a position coach in the NFL.

Yeah, I think USC is the big unknown in the B1G in 2024. They could be scary good if that defense comes through. But, then again, Lincoln Riley has been trying to figure out how to put a decent defense on the field for a few years now

Add Michigan to that excellent defense list - they should be really good especially their DL. Their offense, however, got gutted including their top 6 OL which I thought was the strength of the team in 2023. They'll still be dangerous though.

Don't count out Oregon in 2024. They are loaded and already in many preseason top 5 including ESPN's. I would not be shocked to see OSU, PSU, and Oregon in the 12-team Playoff with Michigan having an outside shot

Agreed. also note that UM's coaching staff has substantially changed.

Yeah, I think USC is the big unknown in the B1G in 2024. They could be scary good if that defense comes through. But, then again, Lincoln Riley has been trying to figure out how to put a decent defense on the field for a few years now
After OSU, I believe that USC will be PSU's most challenging game, just because with a normal Lincoln Riley team, you're going to have to score at least in the upper 20s to beat them even if he has a typical bad defense. With that game being on the road, I'd be surprised if PSU wins it.

I remember PSU's last road game at USC in 1991, excluding the two Rose Bowls. That PSU team was really good and finished 11-2, but one of their losses was at USC in a total lackluster performance.

Agreed. also note that UM's coaching staff has substantially changed.
And that is HUGE especially with the talent they lost to the NFL. I couldn't stand Harbaugh but once U. Meyer left, he was clearly the best HC in the conference. He had nowhere the recruiting classes of OSU but UM's development was off the charts. That new Michigan HC is - IMO - walking into a pressure packed situation

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
Not sure about that but the one great thing I like about going forward is the 12-team Playoff which will let teams with one bad game or being upset in a season still have a chance at a NC. Perfect examples are Georgia and OSU in 2023. I honestly believe both those teams were as good (or better talent-wise) than Michigan or Alabama but paid the price with close game losses. In this year's format, OSU and Georgia (and possibly PSU also) would be in and have a 2nd chance

And, yes, that OSU QB McCord threw that Interception when they were driving for the winning TD against Michigan but that was more on their crap OL - it sucked in 2023. I gotta laugh at the dumba$$ OSU fans that pointed fingers at McCord.
Georgia not being in the playoff last year was criminal but that's what happens with a bad playoff system because they're trying to preserve the bowls. 12 is better but I'm fully prepared for us to go 10-2 some year and be left out for a 9-3 team because that team played a real non-comference game while we played Syracuse or Temple

Georgia not being in the playoff last year was criminal but that's what happens with a bad playoff system because they're trying to preserve the bowls. 12 is better but I'm fully prepared for us to go 10-2 some year and be left out for a 9-3 team because that team played a real non-comference game while we played Syracuse or Temple
Agree as I feel they had the most talented team in the country followed by OSU, UM and Bama. But, all it took was one bad game. That will change this year with the 12-team Playoff which - OMO - is just great for CF

I believe many of the lesser bowls are on their way out. I used to watch many of them but have very little interest in them anymore. A perfect example were the PSU and OSU Bowl games last year. Both teams had opt outs and you could tell that those two teams just weren't motivated in those games

And that is HUGE especially with the talent they lost to the NFL. I couldn't stand Harbaugh but once U. Meyer left, he was clearly the best HC in the conference. He had nowhere the recruiting classes of OSU but UM's development was off the charts. That new Michigan HC is - IMO - walking into a pressure packed situation
he coached a good game against us. But being a HC is a 7x24x365. Doing a great Xs and Os game on game day is just a small part of the equation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT