ADVERTISEMENT

What win loss record defines a successful season for Franklin this year?

18 national titles vs 2….6 in the last 12 years….nope, not on Alabama level and certainly not with Saban at Bama. And I also didn’t post that we’ve never been on Bama’s level, I said we’re not going to be on Bama’s level no matter who the coach is. College football has changed since the 80’s.
You must understand.....he's a bit slow.....reading comprehension is a challenge for him.

You must understand.....he's a bit slow.....reading comprehension is a challenge for him.
You literally have like 2 people on this board who agree with u on anything...the rest of this board recognizes you as a 72 year old petulant child with deep psychological issues on authority. Lol.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
This is IT folks, my ALL TIME FAVORITE LOL...
This is where everyone weighs in, then we come back at the end of the year and all the coach worshippers like oldclown Marshall WALK IT BACK about what they said pre season 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last year the coach worshippers had to hem and haw and take back their 9-3s that were in writing to basically lie and claim 7-6 was just fine lol...

I'll go first...here it is...Franklin needs 9-4 to call this a success. ANYTHING LESS and he needs to go. Remember that 7-6 means 18-17 while 8-5 means 19-16 and neither one of those will cut it.

9-4. Period. No walking it back. That's what he needs.
Since Penn State doesn’t yet have the depth of the Alabama’s or Ohio State’s of the world ( but they’re getting closer), their W-L record will be a “sliding scale”. — If the team makes it through the season with no major injuries at critical positions, then 10+ wins are reasonable….and anything less is largely on the coaches. If there are 3-4 major injuries at critical positions, that number could reasonably fall quickly to 7-8 Wins….depending on position and depth

Reactions: psugisher
You literally have like 2 people on this board who agree with u on anything...the rest of this board recognizes you as a 72 year old petulant child with deep psychological issues on authority. Lol.
Do you frequent here to win friends? If you wish to explore "psychological issues"....I suggest you consult a certified professional.....or are you a certified coach AND "psychologicalist."
Personally, I believe you need a proctologist.

Since Penn State doesn’t yet have the depth of the Alabama’s or Ohio State’s of the world ( but they’re getting closer), their W-L record will be a “sliding scale”. — If the team makes it through the season with no major injuries at critical positions, then 10+ wins are reasonable….and anything less is largely on the coaches. If there are 3-4 major injuries at critical positions, that number could reasonably fall quickly to 7-8 Wins….depending on position and depth
So if they win 8 games and two of their losses are due to multiple turnovers, dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles, missed field goals or extra points, those losses are largely on the coaches? The players do have something to do with wins and losses, this isn’t PlayStation.

Reactions: marshall23
I guess we would first have to agree on what a “bad” season is and what caused it. I don’t think we’re circling the drain like some on here do, so we are at different starting points. I also realize we’re never going to be a Bama level program no matter who the coach is. Outside of OSU with Urban, tell me one Big 10 school that has had enough success in the past 20 years to live up to your expectations for Franklin. Outside of Bama and maybe Georgia, tell me one SEC program.
We don't have to agree on anything for you to answer that simple question.

I didn't ask specifics about what constitutes a "bad" season. I asked at what point do you consider a coach to be unsuccessful for the program? How bad do things have to get before you would admit he is not suitable?

My expectations for Franklin are to be in the mix every year. So come out strong and have something on the line when we play Ohio St Oct 29th. So get to 6-1 or 7-0 at that point with everything on the line. 2017, 18 and 19 we got to that Ohio State game and it determined our season. Throw out 2020. 2021 was a very tough schedule combined with injuries and a bad run game. Franklin probably deserves credit for keeping us in every game with that bad a run game. He has to get the run game fixed. That’s my expectation for him this year and if we can run it better, we’ll win at least 10 and be in another New Year’s Six game with a chance to win the conference and make the playoff

So if they win 8 games and two of their losses are due to multiple turnovers, dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles, missed field goals or extra points, those losses are largely on the coaches? The players do have something to do with wins and losses, this isn’t PlayStation.
Yes. If there are no major injuries, they have enough high end talent to play at an extremely high level. If they “ miss blocks, tackles, field goals” etc , this should/would have been identified in practice and previous games. It is on the coaches predominantly to have prepared the team for their competition. It will help the offense a great deal this year (IMO) to have the same offensive coordinator present for 2 years in a row.—-Weather, and a few other rare extenuating circumstances can certainly mitigate the coaches responsibility, but by and large, it would be on them……and if they’re worth their salt ( and I know Franklin is), they would see it that way as well. ***The only other real caveat would be if the “high end talent”, ends up being a bust……but I’ve seen Franklin recruit and identify talent, and he is as good as anyone at this. I don’t anticipate many “busts”

Last edited:
...If they “ miss blocks, tackles, field goals” etc , this should/would have been identified in practice and previous games.
Don't forget the number of square pegs in round holes that grow every year under Franklin. The offensive line took a second step back in two years under MY because he uses a blocking scheme that the two deep weren't equipped to execute both in terms of skillset and development. That is 100% on coaching, not players.

Most of our missed tackles came from undisciplined linebacker play which is a hallmark of the Pry era where he was both DC and position coach. It is really hard to do both. Lack of player development has historically plagued Franklin's teams due to his preference for recruiters, not coaches. That is 100% on coaching, not players.

……and if they’re worth their salt ( and I know Franklin is), they would see it that way as well.
Except for Franklin demonstrated history. He whines, he makes excuses, he throws players, administrators etc under the bus to redirect instead of taking accountability. The man is a crybaby. Plain and simple. There is always some reason he can't achieve a basic level of results and he brought most of them on himself.

The offensive line took a second step back in two years under MY because he uses a blocking scheme that the two deep weren't equipped to execute both in terms of skillset and development.

Don't you mean Traut?

Yurcich has only been here one season.

Don't you mean Traut?

Yurcich has only been here one season.
I should have clarified more. We went from JoeMo's MAP blocking scheme (hybrid that is mostly man) from 2016 to 2019. Ricky Rahne maintained the offense as is after Mo left. When Rahne left, KC installed a pure zone blocking scheme to go with his west coast passing game. Out goes KC, incomes MY with his spread gap blocking scheme. They took a step back in 2020 with the introduction of a pure zone scheme and took a bigger step back in 2021 with the introduction of a spread gap scheme. Almost every player on the two deep was recruited and developed the run a mostly man blocking scheme which was the biggest failure point the last two seasons. Five square pegs in five round holes. It will be a little better this year but I wouldn't expect much. 2024 is the target year barring a major infusion of talent via the portal in 2023.

I didn't ask specifics about what constitutes a "bad" season. I asked at what point do you consider a coach to be unsuccessful for the program? How bad do things have to get before you would admit he is not suitable?
I don’t have a specific record or number of years with a specific record. I look at season by season, what happened, and what caused it. Not all 7-5 seasons are created equal. Also, how many games where we lost were we in a position to win and players didn’t make plays?

Yes. If there are no major injuries, they have enough high end talent to play at an extremely high level. If they “ miss blocks, tackles, field goals” etc , this should/would have been identified in practice and previous games. It is on the coaches predominantly to have prepared the team for their competition. It will help the offense a great deal this year (IMO) to have the same offensive coordinator present for 2 years in a row.—-Weather, and a few other rare extenuating circumstances can certainly mitigate the coaches responsibility, but by and large, it would be on them……and if they’re worth their salt ( and I know Franklin is), they would see it that way as well. ***The only other real caveat would be if the “high end talent”, ends up being a bust……but I’ve seen Franklin recruit and identify talent, and he is as good as anyone at this. I don’t anticipate many “busts”
Players can do everything right in practice and have a bad game that leads to making mistakes. Coaches can’t fix everything in practice.

I don’t have a specific record or number of years with a specific record. I look at season by season, what happened, and what caused it. Not all 7-5 seasons are created equal. Also, how many games where we lost were we in a position to win and players didn’t make plays?
So you are unable to identify a level of performance from a head coach that you would consider grounds for dismissal?

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
So you are unable to identify a level of performance from a head coach that you would consider grounds for dismissal?
Good news, I don’t have to make that decision and my opinion on that doesn’t matter at all (neither does yours). I will support the team and the coach and hope we do well. If I get to the point of dissatisfaction that many of you are at, I will stop watching. Until that point, unlike many of you, I hope we win and I hope Franklin kicks ass….many of you don’t want that because that would prove you wrong and wouldn’t allow you to come on this board and flaunt your coaching brilliance.

Good news, I don’t have to make that decision and my opinion on that doesn’t matter at all (neither does yours). I will support the team and the coach and hope we do well. If I get to the point of dissatisfaction that many of you are at, I will stop watching. Until that point, unlike many of you, I hope we win and I hope Franklin kicks ass….many of you don’t want that because that would prove you wrong and wouldn’t allow you to come on this board and flaunt your coaching brilliance.
I am in awe of our resident couch coach. There are only about 70 D1 P5 HFBC positions. Yet right here we get schooled by the only omniscient and omnipotent football savant versed in offensive and defensive strategy. The brilliance of a plumber, performing septal myectomy. guided only by voices in his head.
I wonder if....and if not why he doesn't have one of those jobs?

Reactions: AWS1022
I am in awe of our resident couch coach. There are only about 70 D1 P5 HFBC positions. Yet right here we get schooled by the only omniscient and omnipotent football savant versed in offensive and defensive strategy. The brilliance of a plumber, performing septal myectomy. guided only by voices in his head.
A ton of schools are missing out on the opportunity to raise their program to Bama level…..in fact, leave Bama in the dust because coaching is easy don’t you know?

They won't answer and it's pure, delicious, sweet goodness lol.

• Haha
Answer the question.

• Haha
So u are good with 7-5. Lol

They won't answer and it's pure, delicious, sweet goodness lol.
Of course they won't answer because they cannot. They are as predictable as the motion of the universe. Say anything that isn't slobbering over Franklin and there they are.

Interesting how they are incapable of intelligent dialog. Can't seem to handle people that disagree regardless of how polite and reasonable the opposing view. Their response in the majority of cases is to insult and ridicule.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. They never disappoint. LOL.

Last edited:
Of course they won't answer because they cannot. They are as predictable as the motion of the universe. Say anything that isn't slobbering over Franklin and there they are.

Like shooting fish in a barrel. They never disappoint. LOL.
Just because you don’t like an answer, doesn’t mean it wasn’t an answer.

Answer the question.
If you’re talking about the first question you asked to start this thread, then I will say I would consider 8-4 a successful season. If it’s worse than that, I would have to see what caused it to accurately judge it.

It will be another 7 win season and all coaches ass kissers will be out and say well Franklin didn’t have this and didn’t have that. Well the bot will find a way to let football slip as they did basketball for 30 years just watch and see

Reactions: Delcolion915
It will be another 7 win season and all coaches ass kissers will be out and say well Franklin didn’t have this and didn’t have that. Well the bot will find a way to let football slip as they did basketball for 30 years just watch and see
Franklin is a crybaby. Nothing is ever his fault even though his decisions have been and continue to be the problem. He already was whining to ESPN throwing Barron under the bus for his failures. If they give him the facilities he wants and fails, he will blame something else.

Franklin is a crybaby. Nothing is ever his fault even though his decisions have been and continue to be the problem. He already was whining to ESPN throwing Barron under the bus for his failures. If they give him the facilities he wants and fails, he will blame something else.
It was interesting that an outgoing president and AD locked Franklin into a 10 year contract, especially after recent poor seasons. Usually those decisions are deferred to any new incoming AD to put their mark on the department.

Even more remarkable was, despite that gift, Franklin then threw them both under the bus shortly after they left.

Last edited:
It was interesting that an outgoing president and AD locked Franklin into a 10 year contract, especially after recent poor seasons. Usually those decisions are deferred to any new incoming AD to put their mark on the department.

Even more remarkable was, despite that gift, Franklin then threw them both under the bus shortly after they left.
It was a very curious move indeed.

I don't expect much from this year. Besides Mustipher what do they have at DT? The defensive tackle position always seems to be the weakest link, or most vulnerable if there are injuries. Looking back over 10 years of recruiting we just can't consistently get highly ranked defensive tackles in here. And where are the diamonds in the ruff like a Parker Cothren, or Austin Johnson, Jorden Hill etc ? I really think Franklin is not a good judge of talent when it comes to the big guys, and he can't lure in highly ranked players for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I guess the only way to be a true fan is to trash the coach….got it.

This is sadly true. The deal was a parting gift to him from Barron and Barbour. The only way he leaves in the next five years is if he is hired away by another school or a pro team (very unlikely), he is fired for cause (again, he is a decent guy so unlikely) or he is forced out and the only way to do that is for the new AD to cut the budget or force him to fundraise for the facilities he wants like most other programs in the department. Sadly, we are stuck with him for another 6 to 7 years.

As for success, in year 8, Franklin should be a threat to win 10 regular season games every years while regularly competing for the Big Ten. However, we are years away from that and it is painfully obvious to anyone paying attention. A realistic goal for this season would be incremental progress towards that step which means an improved offense and defense with wins nearing their realistic best case of 9 wins.
"As for success, in year 8, Franklin should be a threat to win 10 regular season games every years while regularly competing for the Big Ten."

This^^^, anything less is a failure IMO. A couple key injuries and lack of depth at important positions however, will most likely mean 8-4, 7-6 once again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT