ADVERTISEMENT

What win loss record defines a successful season for Franklin this year?

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
This is IT folks, my ALL TIME FAVORITE LOL...
This is where everyone weighs in, then we come back at the end of the year and all the coach worshippers like oldclown Marshall WALK IT BACK about what they said pre season 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last year the coach worshippers had to hem and haw and take back their 9-3s that were in writing to basically lie and claim 7-6 was just fine lol...

I'll go first...here it is...Franklin needs 9-4 to call this a success. ANYTHING LESS and he needs to go. Remember that 7-6 means 18-17 while 8-5 means 19-16 and neither one of those will cut it.

9-4. Period. No walking it back. That's what he needs.

Again, it's about Franklin because he is on the hot seat whether these coach worshippers like it or not.

Hot seat 1 year into a 10 year extension? Hot from who? It sure doesn't seem like it from the people writing the check.

One can admit that the last 2 years were disappointing and also realize that JF is not on the Hot seat. Unless some posters here are going to pony up the buyout.

Hot seat 1 year into a 10 year extension? Hot from who? It sure doesn't seem like it from the people writing the check.

One can admit that the last 2 years were disappointing and also realize that JF is not on the Hot seat. Unless some posters here are going to pony up the buyout.
Agreed. He's not on any hot seat no matter what people here might think.

Agreed. He's not on any hot seat no matter what people here might think.
This is sadly true. The deal was a parting gift to him from Barron and Barbour. The only way he leaves in the next five years is if he is hired away by another school or a pro team (very unlikely), he is fired for cause (again, he is a decent guy so unlikely) or he is forced out and the only way to do that is for the new AD to cut the budget or force him to fundraise for the facilities he wants like most other programs in the department. Sadly, we are stuck with him for another 6 to 7 years.

As for success, in year 8, Franklin should be a threat to win 10 regular season games every years while regularly competing for the Big Ten. However, we are years away from that and it is painfully obvious to anyone paying attention. A realistic goal for this season would be incremental progress towards that step which means an improved offense and defense with wins nearing their realistic best case of 9 wins.

This is sadly true. The deal was a parting gift to him from Barron and Barbour. The only way he leaves in the next five years is if he is hired away by another school or a pro team (very unlikely), he is fired for cause (again, he is a decent guy so unlikely) or he is forced out and the only way to do that is for the new AD to cut the budget or force him to fundraise for the facilities he wants like most other programs in the department. Sadly, we are stuck with him for another 6 to 7 years.

As for success, in year 8, Franklin should be a threat to win 10 regular season games every years while regularly competing for the Big Ten. However, we are years away from that and it is painfully obvious to anyone paying attention. A realistic goal for this season would be incremental progress towards that step which means an improved offense and defense with wins nearing their realistic best case of 9 wins.
What the heck? A reasonable response at 8 am on a Sunday morn??

Reactions: MacNit07
If recruiting rankings are to be believed there are only two teams annually who have equal or better talent so anything less than a 9-3 record is not acceptable if they are to be a top ten team. The odd year (7-8 wins) I accept but otherwise a minimum of 9 wins is the rubicon for Franklion with his salary.

If recruiting rankings are to be believed there are only two teams annually who have equal or better talent so anything less than a 9-3 record is not acceptable if they are to be a top ten team. The odd year (7-8 wins) I accept but otherwise a minimum of 9 wins is the rubicon for Franklion with his salary.
The problem is that with few exceptions, recruiting rankings are a made up metric. Rankings only matter if you can coach kids up and put them into a position to succeed. How many 4 star ends have we had that did little to nothing on the field because we exclusively recruit 7 technique players and only one is on the field at a time because our coordinators have been incapable of adjusting the system to the talent. Just look back to 2019 to see how different things would have looked up front if we had an innovative coordinator.

What we had. Standard two gap 4-3. Take note, most of these guys are in the NFL and almost all are playing different positions.

5 Tech - Yetur Gross-Matos
3 Tech - Antonio Shelton
1 Tech - Robert Windsor
7 Tech - Shaka Toney
WILL - Micah Parsons
MIKE - Jan Johnson
SAM - Cam Brown

What we could have had if we had a decent coordinator that was able to adjust to the talent. One gap Eagle 3-4.

4 Tech - Robert Windsor
1 Tech - Antonio Shelton with Fred Hansard playing 0 on running downs
6 Tech - Jayson Oweh
ILB - Cam Brown
ILB - Micah Parson
7/9 Tech - Shaka Toney

We get the same run defense, much better pass rush, a one gap scheme that allows Parson, Oweh and Toney to get after it and we get Jan Johnson off the field.

So yes, recruiting rankings are generally garbage if your coaches can't or won't put players in a position to succeed. We have seen this playout over and over again during the Franklin years where recruiting failures (Philosophy not accounting for the needs of the system) kill our system coordinators (JoeMo being the exception as he is one non-system coordinator Franklin has hired).

This is where everyone weighs in, then we come back at the end of the year and all the coach worshippers like oldclown Marshall WALK IT BACK about what they said pre season 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last year the coach worshippers had to hem and haw and take back their 9-3s that were in writing to basically lie and claim 7-6 was just fine lol...

I'll go first...here it is...Franklin needs 9-4 to call this a success. ANYTHING LESS and he needs to go. Remember that 7-6 means 18-17 while 8-5 means 19-16 and neither one of those will cut it.

10 wins or more. Nothing less.

Reactions: joeaubie21

First off, CJF isn't leaving. Where would he go if the season tanks? With the talent this team has, anything less than 9-3 regular season is failure. In addition, I want see victories over UM and MSU as part of those 9 wins, with PSU showing improvement in all areas as the season progresses. At this time a win over OSU is improbable. PSU's overall talent & depth is not there yet. PSU could very well start out 2 and 2 and then will have to have maximum focus/effort to climb to 9 wins. All fans want to see the QB, OL and MLB situations in the first four games to gauge how the season will progress.

Last edited:
The problem is that with few exceptions, recruiting rankings are a made up metric. Rankings only matter if you can coach kids up and put them into a position to succeed. How many 4 star ends have we had that did little to nothing on the field because we exclusively recruit 7 technique players and only one is on the field at a time because our coordinators have been incapable of adjusting the system to the talent. Just look back to 2019 to see how different things would have looked up front if we had an innovative coordinator.

What we had. Standard two gap 4-3. Take note, most of these guys are in the NFL and almost all are playing different positions.

3 Tech - Antonio Shelton
1 Tech - Robert Windsor
7 Tech - Shaka Toney
WILL - Micah Parsons
MIKE - Jan Johnson
SAM - Cam Brown

What we could have had if we had a decent coordinator that was able to adjust to the talent. One gap Eagle 3-4.

4 Tech - Robert Windsor
1 Tech - Antonio Shelton with Fred Hansard playing 0 on running downs
6 Tech - Jayson Oweh
ILB - Cam Brown
ILB - Micah Parson
7/9 Tech - Shaka Toney

We get the same run defense, much better pass rush, a one gap scheme that allows Parson, Oweh and Toney to get after it and we get Jan Johnson off the field.

So yes, recruiting rankings are generally garbage if your coaches can't or won't put players in a position to succeed. We have seen this playout over and over again during the Franklin years where recruiting failures (Philosophy not accounting for the needs of the system) kill our system coordinators (JoeMo being the exception as he is one non-system coordinator Franklin has hired).
The scary thing is you actually think you know more than a D-1 P5 coach. The good news for you is you never have to prove it and your livelihood doesn’t depend on it.

Reactions: marshall23
The scary thing is you actually think you know more than a D-1 P5 coach. The good news for you is you never have to prove it and your livelihood doesn’t depend on it.
Even if that were true, at what point do you consider a coach to be unsuccessful for the program? How bad do things have to get before you would admit he is not suitable? 10 years of 3-9 seasons?

Again, it's about Franklin because he is on the hot seat whether these coach worshippers like it or not.
Hot seat?LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

The seat that Franklin occupies is called The CATBIRD SEAT. He'll leave PSU when HE decides its time OR when he is given a check for more than 70 million dollars.

Even if that were true, at what point do you consider a coach to be unsuccessful for the program? How bad do things have to get before you would admit he is not suitable? 10 years of 3-9 seasons?
It doesn't matter what we think.....unless one of us is the AD, a trustee or willing to write a check.

"wishin and hopin and thinkin and prayin
planin and dreamin...."theme song of the Franklin haters.
10 more years!

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
Its not him....its the voices in his head.

I guess we would first have to agree on what a “bad” season is and what caused it. I don’t think we’re circling the drain like some on here do, so we are at different starting points. I also realize we’re never going to be a Bama level program no matter who the coach is. Outside of OSU with Urban, tell me one Big 10 school that has had enough success in the past 20 years to live up to your expectations for Franklin. Outside of Bama and maybe Georgia, tell me one SEC program.

I guess we would first have to agree on what a “bad” season is and what caused it. I don’t think we’re circling the drain like some on here do, so we are at different starting points. I also realize we’re never going to be a Bama level program no matter who the coach is. Outside of OSU with Urban, tell me one Big 10 school that has had enough success in the past 20 years to live up to your expectations for Franklin. Outside of Bama and maybe Georgia, tell me one SEC program.
1983 Penn State 34 Alabama 28
1985 Penn State 19 Alabama 17
1986 Penn State 23 Alabama 3
1990 Penn State 9 Alabama 0.

What was that about never having an Alabama level program no matter who was coaching?
I love how you coach worshippers have now stooped to dogging Joe Paterno. It's awesome.

From a 72 year old petulant child with authority obsession compulsion disorder lmao.
What kind of fan comes here and repeatedly obsessed over the negative? Starts numerous threads putting everything down.

What was that about never having an Alabama level program no matter who was coaching?
I love how you coach worshippers have now stooped to dogging Joe Paterno. It's awesome.
I think he meant Bama of the Saban era. Go look at Bamas records those years. Aka post-Bear. Was that a top 10 win?

Reactions: marshall23

No you are awesome.....dogging Joe? What do you think Joe would say about a PSU "fan" like you?
I think we all know.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Rule #1 Everything bad that happens is because of the coach.

not on hot seat this year, but what happens this year determines how hot his seat is next year and year after. 7 win season and he def on hot seat in a big way next year, 9-10 win season and he good till next year. A couple of 7ish win seasons and they buy him out. He in window risk/opportunity now and for next 2 years

Franklin's contract termination details:
2022 72 million
2023 64 million
2024 56 million

2025 40 million
Where do I sign up for the NNNNNCAC hotseat? :cool:

18 national titles vs 2….6 in the last 12 years….nope, not on Alabama level and certainly not with Saban at Bama. And I also didn’t post that we’ve never been on Bama’s level, I said we’re not going to be on Bama’s level no matter who the coach is. College football has changed since the 80’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT