ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Yurcich/Franklin call cute low percentage plays at key points in big game instead of boldly seizing control?!!

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Nice drive at start-2nd and goal at 3— why not run Katron Allen who averages 4.8 yds all season and had 6 yds in his far too few carries?? Get two or three tight ends in— he showed in Maryland game he can outmuscle. Go for it three times and if you don’t make it, you put Michigan in tough spot. Instead two passing plays from 3, FG and Michigan gets 7 easy. The two times going for two were inexplicable and if Franklin thinks now it’s still right calls, don’t know what to say. Going for it on 4th deep in own territory 7 min left in Ohio St when it’s still winnable and today with 4 min and essentially ending game on a desperate play is becoming Franklin staple. Franklin needs to go to coaching academy to see how to win with an elite defense.

Allar was off and rushing throws or holding too long. Threw behind open receivers.

Team just lacks toughness and winning mentality in big games. When head coach is timid and erratic, it becomes catching. Feel for Allar— great talent that needs some help around him and he needs to grow up which I think he will. Wasted a great defense.

It is what it is. Fans are beyond exasperated

Nice drive at start-2nd and goal at 3— why not run Katron Allen who averages 4.8 yds all season and had 6 yds in his far too few carries?? Get two or three tight ends in— he showed in Maryland game he can outmuscle. Go for it three times and if you don’t make it, you put Michigan in tough spot. Instead two passing plays from 3, FG and Michigan gets 7 easy. The two times going for two were inexplicable and if Franklin thinks now it’s still right calls, don’t know what to say. Going for it on 4th deep in own territory 7 min left in Ohio St when it’s still winnable and today with 4 min and essentially ending game on a desperate play is becoming Franklin staple. Franklin needs to go to coaching academy to see how to win with an elite defense.

Allar was off and rushing throws or holding too long. Threw behind open receivers.

Team just lacks toughness and winning mentality in big games. When head coach is timid and erratic, it becomes catching. Feel for Allar— great talent that needs some help around him and he needs to grow up which I think he will. Wasted a great defense.

Exactly…Allen played a hell of a game and was severely underutilized.

Allen got caught from behind by a 330 pound lineman. Nobody on this offensive clown show deserves an out.

• Wow
Reactions: KCLion

UM went with 2 extra OL loaded to one side and ran wide behind them for 2 big plays. Why don't we ever show a new look like that in a big game?

In the Big 2 losses, can anyone name a single play that was successfully used on more that a few occasions? Seems to me we have none that can be counted on for a first down when needed.

Incompetence

they should tell allar to go out and throw 3 interceptions against rutgers...he seems to be afraid of making a mistake with the ball.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
Incompetence

Allar is not playing with a whole lot of confidance. His mechanics are messed up, he's aiming not throwing, and he's confused or not trusting what he's seeing. He's definitely regressed as the season has progressed. My guess is that as the team plays better teams, the coaching becomes more conservative and erratic. Especially against OSU and UM, they probably feel they're starting the game already behind. You have to be 100% confidant and committed to win big games. Early in the season how often do some say that the staff is "holding back" not to reveal too much for the top teams? In fact, I think it's the exact opposite, they start turtling and play with an anxiousness that leads to bad play calls, critical mistakes, and poor game decisions.

My guess is that Franklin, above all else, wants to avoid turnovers. He thinks a 3 and out with good punt coverage is a win. He is probably in Drew's ear all day every day about taking care of the ball. There are flashes of a 5 star recruit when Drew allows himself to stay calm and step up in the pocket, but too often against good defenses he gets happy feet and rushes his throws. Seems like his first thought is "don't throw a pick" instead of something positive. It's a negative mindset and it's not a good thing. Maybe Bonnie Epstein can do some overtime counseling for the football team?

One other issue I have with Franklin is his insistence on getting his 2nd and 3rd team defense snaps on critical drives and critical situations. I think it's a good strategy against bad teams, where a couple blown assignments mean a 2 score win instead of a 4 score win. But against great teams he is risking points to keep his 1st team defense fresh in the 4th quarter. Our dline we can typically get away with that because we are deep, but not our LBs. We are giving up huge plays with our 1st team on the sidelines in big games. I'd rather be up a score late in the game trying to win the game with a tired defense rather than being down a score trying to go the length of the field with our inept offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT