ADVERTISEMENT

Some teams just know how to win

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Bills @ Eagles
1st downs 29-24
Total Yards 505-378

But the Bills miss 2 FGs, drop a TD pass, and WR turning the wrong way after beating his man on wat would have been the game winning TD. The Eagles kick a 59 yd FG then win in OT after the Bills played soft coverage on 3rd down to give Eagles and east 1st down.

The Bills have outscored opponents by mot than the Eagles this year but they're probably going to miss the playoffs. They're 2-6 in one score games and in each one there was one key mistake that made the difference.

Yesterday I mentioned Auburn. They had that game in the bag but they dropped a punt. Then they rushed 2 and dropped 8 and still allowed a WR to get behind the defense in the EZ (similar thing happened to Bills today although it was a 4 man rush).

How many times has PSU had 4th qtr leads over OSU & UM and lost? They pull their heads back into their shells and let the lead slip away.

Meanwhile the winners have the confidence to make the big play when needed regardless of how the game has gone to that point.

Yup, I keep waiting for the Eagles luck to to run out, but like you said they just know how to win! Which I guess really means they 're a good team!

Meanwhile the winners have the confidence to make the big play when needed regardless of how the game has gone to that point.
This is so true
I felt like the Bills lost as soon as they didn't go for 4th & 6 in OT and settled for the FG. The odds are against you and the analytics don't support it but we all knew if Buffalo didn't score a TD then Philly would win the game.

This is so true
I felt like the Bills lost as soon as they didn't go for 4th & 6 in OT and settled for the FG. The odds are against you and the analytics don't support it but we all knew if Buffalo didn't score a TD then Philly would win the game.
I'm surprised that the Bills didn't try a couple of passes with 28 second remaining in OT and 1 TO. They got beat in the playoffs with only 17 seconds remaining.

Reactions: LMTLION
I'm surprised that the Bills didn't try a couple of passes with 28 second remaining in OT and 1 TO. They got beat in the playoffs with only 17 seconds remaining.
Yeah, I thought that was mistake as well. They also called a timeout before the FG attempt which didn't make sense. 20 seconds with 2 timeouts would have given them a realistic shot to get in FG range.

Great game though--it's a shame Buffalo probably misses the playoffs this year but they've done that to themselves.

Yup, I keep waiting for the Eagles luck to to run out, but like you said they just know how to win! Which I guess really means they 're a good team!
Agreed. Loss to Jets beyond a head scratcher and they have been very fortunate to keep winning late.

Not to jinx but reminding me a bit of the Phillies, who pulled out a lot of late inning Ws over the past 2 years. Eventually the luck runs out, you blow a flat like NLCS Games 6/7, or the quality of competition doesn't make the errors which lead to "good fortune."

The 49ers look like a really good team. I hate Dallas, but they will be a player as the season winds down too. Eagles D all around not very impressive today, injuries taking a toll.

But- just win baby! We were at my mom's for dinner and viewing. She is not a big sports fan, yet even she got caught up in the drama and was screaming.

Most everyone in The Delaware Valley are in better moods when the Birds win. iIt has been a nice Fall, but Winter is the real NFL football season.

Fly Eagles Fly!

Reactions: 81b&w
More examples:

PSU can take a knee to beat Indy but instead we run it in for an 8 pt lead then lose in OT.

The Bills could have elected to run twice for the game winning TD and left the Eagles no time to score.

The Hurt threw a pass in the flat but Poyer knocked it loose. If he just tackles the guy inbounds the game is over but the incomplete pass stopped the clock.

A lot of times I think teams should go down at the 1 yd line then punch it in with no time left. A few games ago Allen ran it in for the go ahead score with a minute left to take the lead vs the Broncos. Maybe he should have gone down at the 1 yd line and let the clock run. Instead Denver got the ball back with 1:55 and got into FG range on a pass interference penalty. They missed the game winning FG but Buffalo had 12 players on the field and Denver converted on their second chance.

I remember thinking this 2 years ago when Toledo scored to take the lead over ND but left 1:51 on the clock. ND went 75 yds in 3 plays to win. Toledo scored too early.

Bills @ Eagles
1st downs 29-24
Total Yards 505-378

But the Bills miss 2 FGs, drop a TD pass, and WR turning the wrong way after beating his man on wat would have been the game winning TD. The Eagles kick a 59 yd FG then win in OT after the Bills played soft coverage on 3rd down to give Eagles and east 1st down.

The Bills have outscored opponents by mot than the Eagles this year but they're probably going to miss the playoffs. They're 2-6 in one score games and in each one there was one key mistake that made the difference.

Yesterday I mentioned Auburn. They had that game in the bag but they dropped a punt. Then they rushed 2 and dropped 8 and still allowed a WR to get behind the defense in the EZ (similar thing happened to Bills today although it was a 4 man rush).

How many times has PSU had 4th qtr leads over OSU & UM and lost? They pull their heads back into their shells and let the lead slip away.

Let me know when they win their second super bowl. Jerry Jones has three.

Let me know when they win their second super bowl. Jerry Jones has three.
Well hooray for Jerry Jones!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
The eagles got very lucky tonight. If they continue to play poor D and sleepwalk for a half on O over the next 2 weeks and we’ll have a 4 way tie for the NFC home field in the playoffs.

Bills @ Eagles
1st downs 29-24
Total Yards 505-378

It’s called leadership. Rare in today’s world.

If he just tackles the guy inbounds the game is over but the incomplete pass stopped the clock.

There was 30 seconds on the clock. It rushes the FG for sure, but the game wasn't over. Very hard to break the instincts on a PBU as well.

When a team hits a 59 yard FG in the rain to send it to OT, you just have to live with it.

The eagles got very lucky tonight. If they continue to play poor D and sleepwalk for a half on O over the next 2 weeks and we’ll have a 4 way tie for the NFC home field in the playoffs.
Well, I didn't watch the whole game start to finish, but the ending (especially OT) wasn't "luck." Philly defense did what they had to do - hold Buffalo to a FG. Hurts did a great job in the clutch, especially with that run for the TD. The clutch long FG and OT was impressive. Anyone else see the Texans kicker not make a 58-yard FG - by hitting the crossbar square in the middle? He couldn't have done that in a million years if he'd been trying to do it.

I was kinda torn on this one as I would like to see Buffalo make the playoffs, but I like Philadelphia as well. I wasn't surprised that Buffalo played hard. They really needed the win. Be interesting to see how they handle this loss.

And in other news, the Falcons are in first place in the NFC South, winning over New Orleans today. They'd make the playoffs if the season ended today - at 5-6.

And in other news, the Falcons are in first place in the NFC South, winning over New Orleans today. They'd make the playoffs if the season ended today - at 5-6.
Sucks because Dallas will get an easier game as the 5 seed than the 2 and 3 seeds

Anyone else see the Texans kicker not make a 58-yard FG - by hitting the crossbar square in the middle? He couldn't have done that in a million years if he'd been trying to do it.

So close. If they could have gained a couple yards on any down prior to that kick. Their kicker has never made a kick over 50 yards in his career.

This season seems wide open. None of the top teams have been very dominant.
The Eagles keep finding ways to win(thankfully) but seem very vulnerable to a good team that plays a complete game. The stretch run and playoffs should be very interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT