ADVERTISEMENT

What do we think about Marquis Wilson moving to WR?

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Didn't realize Kalen King had two interceptions in the B/W Game. The emergence of him and Johnny Dixon at CB affords us the luxury of moving Wilson to a playmaking role on offense.

From the jump with Marquis, CJF said he has great balls skills and could play on O if they needed him. I would rather they give him a shot there than him portal on out of here.

Exactly. The move seems to make a good deal of sense.

With TCF, Porter, Dixon, and King, there seems to be 4 excellent CB's to form a nice rotation that will keep those 4 fresh, plus Ellis who has also shown he can play B10 football. If Wilson can help the team on offense and contribute, he is still young and could possibly move back to CB in a year or so when the CB depth chart may not be as formidable. Or Wilson may push his way right into significant playing time at WR, where a player with some speed and that can actually consistently catch a football seems to still be in need.........

Reactions: royboy
I seem to recall this being discussed after the 2019 season. JF knows what he sees in practice. After Dotson departs we might need another smaller, quicker guy who can similarly get separation. Outside of Washington, who really isn’t that small, we don’t have anybody who immediately comes to mind.

It strikes me as maybe we need help at the wide receiver position and he could possible be a solution. I was also not impressed with what CJFs said about the QB situation. It’s worrying that no one has yet stepped up to challenge Clifford and that Clifford is “working very hard”. It seems as if he still has a long way to go to pick up the new offense and the backups don’t have the reps.

I think it is unrealistic to think one of the backups would seriously challenge Clifford at this point. Possibly Vellieux but he just got there 3 months ago. Your point is well taken though, if Clifford does not significantly improve this year then we will struggle as a team for sure.

I'm *really* hopeful that Wilson was just miscast as a DB and that his potential at WR is just *a lot* higher.

The depth at CB isn't exactly as deep as WR, a position where we have seemingly 7 guys vying for 1-2 spots (assuming we have some 4WR sets). Curious if we see a WR hit the portal in the next 2 weeks...

I'm *really* hopeful that Wilson was just miscast as a DB and that his potential at WR is just *a lot* higher.

The depth at CB isn't exactly as deep as WR, a position where we have seemingly 7 guys vying for 1-2 spots (assuming we have some 4WR sets). Curious if we see a WR hit the portal in the next 2 weeks...
We apparently have 5 CBs they feel they can win with. People have been leaving Ellis off the list above. That's pretty good depth and doesn't include any of the other true FR outside of King.

Last edited:
We apparently have 5 CBs they feel they can with. People have been leaving Ellis off the list above. That's preeyt good depth and doesn't include any of the other true FR outside of King.

We couldn't get healthy at CB last year hardly at all. Outside of JPJ, CB was rough last year and until Brisker came on late safety was probably worse.

I think the move also has to do with having Smith and Jacobs at LB. I don't remember us using 4 CBs at all last year. Pry seems to favor 3, and keeping 2 LB and 2 S on the field.

Wilson was also once the freshman CB making INTs. Still, King's getting better press clippings than Micah did this early on...

Reactions: brupsu
I seem to recall this being discussed after the 2019 season. JF knows what he sees in practice. After Dotson departs we might need another smaller, quicker guy who can similarly get separation. Outside of Washington, who really isn’t that small, we don’t have anybody who immediately comes to mind.
D. Hardy #25? Don't know, but he has some quicks.

We apparently have 5 CBs they feel they can win with. People have been leaving Ellis off the list above. That's pretty good depth and doesn't include any of the other true FR outside of King.

Yep. 4 CB's that have proven effective playing in B10, or SEC, games. Castro-Fields, Porter, Dixon, and Ellis. Plus King who the coaches seem to have a great deal of confidence in right now and Hardy who also has B10 game experience. At least a 2.5 deep that the staff believes they could play and win with.

Whereas at WR we only have 2 WR's that have proven they can catch a football consistently in B10 games. Dotson and Washington. And that is 2 total for 3 starting WR positions. Not even a full starting group. Nothing against CSB, Lambert-Smith, George and the rest, but they have not proven to be reliable targets in game situations, and we have seen a good many highly recruited WR's that have failed to pan out as players in B10 games......... If Wilson can consistently catch a football in an actual game he would have a leg up on more than half the scholarship WR's on the roster..........

Last edited:
No impact. Good he stayed though.

Did velleuix play in scrimmage

D. Hardy #25? Don't know, but he has some quicks.

Yep, I remember seeing Hardy play in H.S. at Penn Hills. He pretty much took his team on his back to the 5A championship as I remember. Very quick. It would seem that Hardy would be another candidate to move to offense given the wealth of CB talent currently. He's pretty small for a CB. Maybe he does not catch the ball as well as Wilson. In CJF we trust!!

No impact. Good he stayed though.

Did velleuix play in scrimmage

Yep. Wasn't it reported that he threw a couple screen passes that went for TD's? But I believe he got mixed reviews - nice arm but still lots to learn...... as would be expected. But nice that he got on campus to get a early start as you can't get finished unless you get started..... ;)

If Franklin thinks he should move him, then I agree with his decision.

If Franklin thinks we should not move him, then I agree with that too.
Franklin doesn't have the final say here. There are more than two dozen accomplished coaches he should consult. In addition, there are many posters who have never played or coached.....or attended a PSU practice, but they seem to know more football than Franklin.
You didn't get the DM from coach on Saturday morning?
I'm not on the list of the more than 2 dozen "accomplished" coaches who live here. I only know what I read here.....and that's my alibi for ignorance.

Franklin doesn't have the final say here. There are more than two dozen accomplished coaches he should consult. In addition, there are many posters who have never played or coached.....or attended a PSU practice, but they seem to know more football than Franklin.

I'm not on the list of the more than 2 dozen "accomplished" coaches who live here. I only know what I read here.....and that's my alibi for ignorance.

If a certified coach™️ thinks it is the right decision, then I agree.

Whereas if certified coach™️ believes it is the wrong decision, then I also agree.

If a certified coach™️ thinks it is the right decision, then I agree.

Whereas if certified coach™️ believes it is the wrong decision, then I also agree.
Wait till the first loss this fall.....you'll see that many here are certified.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT