ADVERTISEMENT

Saw an unofficial depth chart from another site, some surprises if they know what they are talking about

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
QB (no surprise)
Allar
Pribula
Smolik

RB (not much of a surprise but I thought Wallace was pushing for 3rd)
Singleton or Allen
Potts
Montgomery or Wallace

Slot: (Was hoping Saunders was moving up more. Driver appears to be the odd man out at this point.)
KLS
Clifford
Saunders
Driver

WR: (Meiga or Cephas? Has Meiga started to put it together or is Cephas still adjusting?)
Wallace
Meiga or Cephas
Ivey

WR (McClain or Cephas? Thought Cephas was ahead of McClain as well but maybe not?)
Evans
McClain or Cephas
Johnson

TE (Was hearing Rappleyea was further ahead than this)
Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
Schlaffer or Rappleyea

LT (Thought Williams was further ahead but they seem to think Shelton is next most reliable and then Nelson is next)
Fashanu
Shelton
Nelson
Williams

LG (Didn't realize Nelson was in line to potentially start but maybe the or is based on Tengwall health)
Tengwall or Nelson
Donkoh
Traore

OC (Is Penn a legit #3? This seems like they might look at an OG to slide in emergency situations)
Nourzad
Dawkins
Penn

RG (Wormley is ahead of Loane for now, Birchmeier must be getting a look at both OG and OT, Israel-Achumba may be already passed by the freshman)
Wormley
Loane
Birchmeier
Israel-Achumba

RT (Wallace still holding on to that top spot)
Wallace
Shelton
Birchmeier
Onoh

DE (This is a surprise to me, thought it was Robinson and Isaac with the 1s. Apparently Isaac is 1B)
Robinson or Isaac
Vanover
Wilson
Mupoyi

DE (see above, I guess Dennis-Sutton is just too much to keep off the field)
Dennis-Sutton or Isaac
Fisher
Lyons

DT (This makes no sense to me. It looks like a mix of 3 technique and 1 technique guys.)
Beamon
Ellies
Artis

DT (Again, looks like a mix of 3 technique and 1 technique. Also, is Durant really 1A now? If so, the kid made a big leap from freshman year and that I suppose is possible.)
Durant or Izzard
van den Berg
Townley

Sam (no surprise but is DeLuca good enough to take over this job full time in 2024?)
Jacobs
DeLuca
Keys

Mike (Not a big surprise to me)
King or Elsdon
Wylie
Robinson
Yates

Will (Why is Rojas projected behind Carter? I get that he can cover ground but it seems like he isn't going to get a shot at being the #1 guy even in 2024.)
Carter
Rojas
Pryts

CB (I thought Dixon was the clear #1 here)
Dixon or Hardy
Miller
Tracy

CB
King
Hardy
Washington
Payne

Safety (not a big surprise to me)
Winston or Reed
Mills
Nelson

Safety (I guess Wheatley is too good not to be the #1 guy even if it is 1A with the defensive captain as 1B)
Wheatley or Ellis
Flowers
Mack

Shelton is likely the 3rd Tackle regardless of side.

I think rotating Chop and Issac makes sense, but I'm not sure that it plays out that way.

I think Rojas is likely the 1st LB off the bench at either outside spot.

I believe this chart that you are showing is based on the observations of their reporters saying things at practice. I don’t believe they would fully know who is really the second or third string guys because I’m sure the coaches are not done tinkering with some guys.

I believe this chart that you are showing is based on the observations of their reporters saying things at practice. I don’t believe they would fully know who is really the second or third string guys because I’m sure the coaches are not done tinkering with some guys.
I agree the coaches aren't done tinkering and evaluating. They did put it in an article on their website so I assume this is their best estimate.

Reactions: bison13
QB (no surprise)
Allar
Pribula
Smolik

Singleton or Allen
Potts
Montgomery or Wallace

Slot: (Was hoping Saunders was moving up more. Driver appears to be the odd man out at this point.)
KLS
Clifford
Saunders
Driver

WR: (Meiga or Cephas? Has Meiga started to put it together or is Cephas still adjusting?)
Wallace
Meiga or Cephas
Ivey

WR (McClain or Cephas? Thought Cephas was ahead of McClain as well but maybe not?)
Evans
McClain or Cephas
Johnson

Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
Schlaffer or Rappleyea

LT (Thought Williams was further ahead but they seem to think Shelton is next most reliable and then Nelson is next)
Fashanu
Shelton
Nelson
Williams

LG (Didn't realize Nelson was in line to potentially start but maybe the or is based on Tengwall health)
Tengwall or Nelson
Donkoh
Traore

OC (Is Penn a legit #3? This seems like they might look at an OG to slide in emergency situations)
Nourzad
Dawkins
Penn

RG (Wormley is ahead of Loane for now, Birchmeier must be getting a look at both OG and OT, Israel-Achumba may be already passed by the freshman)
Wormley
Loane
Birchmeier
Israel-Achumba

Wallace
Shelton
Birchmeier
Onoh

DE (This is a surprise to me, thought it was Robinson and Isaac with the 1s. Apparently Isaac is 1B)
Robinson or Isaac
Vanover
Wilson
Mupoyi

Dennis-Sutton or Isaac
Fisher
Lyons

DT (This makes no sense to me. It looks like a mix of 3 technique and 1 technique guys.)
Beamon
Ellies
Artis

DT (Again, looks like a mix of 3 technique and 1 technique. Also, is Durant really 1A now? If so, the kid made a big leap from freshman year and that I suppose is possible.)
Durant or Izzard
van den Berg
Townley

Sam (no surprise but is DeLuca good enough to take over this job full time in 2024?)
Jacobs
DeLuca
Keys

King or Elsdon
Wylie
Robinson
Yates

Will (Why is Rojas projected behind Carter? I get that he can cover ground but it seems like he isn't going to get a shot at being the #1 guy even in 2024.)
Carter
Rojas
Pryts

Dixon or Hardy
Miller
Tracy

CB
King
Hardy
Washington
Payne

Winston or Reed
Mills
Nelson

Safety (I guess Wheatley is too good not to be the #1 guy even if it is 1A with the defensive captain as 1B)
Wheatley or Ellis
Flowers
Mack
I thought taking Premium information from one site and posting it on another was a major no-no.

Reactions: MacNit07
A depth chart guess wouldn't classify as premium IMO.
A projected depth chart developed by their staff based on their own inside information and observations and available only on their premium site (which is where the OP found it) most certainly would. A depth chart released by Penn State football obviously would not.

Last edited:
Probably is. Good thing it wasn't premium. Are you seriously having a hissy fit because I posted a topic for discussion about our football team on a football forum a couple of weeks before the season?
You posted a projected depth chart ("topic for discussion") developed by the staff of a competitor and available only on their website based on their inside information and their observations from attending open practices, NOT a depth chart released by Penn State. There is a difference. I don't make the rules or establish the protocols, but I do try to abide by them. You love to play the victim.

Last edited:
A projected depth chart developed by their staff based on their own inside information and observations and available only on their premium site (which is where the OP found it) most certainly would. A depth chart released by Penn State football obviously would not.

Was it behind the paywall?

I just saw the same one at 247, but it wasn't behind the wall.

Did they make it free that quickly? If so, that's a waste for those paying.

Again, if it's the one I saw, they gave no insight at all. Just a DC. So in that regard, I don't see the problem. But that's just me.

Was it behind the paywall?

I just saw the same one at 247, but it wasn't behind the wall.

Did they make it free that quickly? If so, that's a waste for those paying.

Again, if it's the one I saw, they gave no insight at all. Just a DC. So in that regard, I don't see the problem. But that's just me.
That is where I read it and I do not have premium on that site. The article was not premium.

Again, Northwoods is a crazed liberal who cannot avoid attacking anything I post simply because he knows that I am conservative. These posts have zero to do with politics but the hate runs so deep for some that they cannot function normally.

So instead of discussing football in this thread, we have repeatedly had to argue about baseless accusations. That's just sad.

That is where I read it and I do not have premium on that site. The article was not premium.

Again, Northwoods is a crazed liberal who cannot avoid attacking anything I post simply because he knows that I am conservative. These posts have zero to do with politics but the hate runs so deep for some that they cannot function normally.
People watch 1 practice and think they know the depth chart, even before the coached do.

Reactions: rcy4499 and bison13
People watch 1 practice and think they know the depth chart, even before the coached do.
It was from an article from the staff of another site. I'm sure they used more than the open practice to determine it. I am also sure it will not be the exact depth chart that we see on the field in 2 weeks. It was their best stab at this point in time.

So instead of discussing football in this thread, we have repeatedly had to argue about baseless accusations. That's just sad.
True, it was never some thing that was on a pay site. You can find it on the other side as well as on social media.

Yes and silly me, I thought a depth chart with a few surprises 2 weeks before the season starts might actually generate some football discussion.

It's too late for apologies.
excommunicado-john.gif

Settle down. I appreciate the content and the football dialogue. It’s very informative. Thank you.

But, please don’t ruin it by bringing up the conservative vs. liberal stuff. This will only result in wack jobs responding with the latest conspiracy theories. Posters should be able to disagree with you without being labeled.

I kindly ask you to stay focused on football and just ignore the posts you disagree with.

Settle down. I appreciate the content and the football dialogue. It’s very informative. Thank you.

But, please don’t ruin it by bringing up the conservative vs. liberal stuff. This will only result in wack jobs responding with the latest conspiracy theories. Posters should be able to disagree with you without being labeled.

I kindly ask you to stay focused on football and just ignore the posts you disagree with.
That's the thing Blair. Everything I posted was pure football until another poster attacked because of politics. Am I not allowed to defend myself when attacked?

I would like to talk Penn St football here. It is why I made the thread.

It was from an article from the staff of another site. I'm sure they used more than the open practice to determine it. I am also sure it will not be the exact depth chart that we see on the field in 2 weeks. It was their best stab at this point in time.
Yeah I just dont like saying things like they are #1 on the depth chart. Maybe say they saw them getting a lot of reps with the 1's but that doesnt guarentee anything.

Yeah I just dont like saying things like they are #1 on the depth chart. Maybe say they saw them getting a lot of reps with the 1's but that doesnt guarentee anything.
I agree. It's all a guess at this point for us even when we are hearing certain guys are making a move. Plus the evaluations continue not just until WVU but throughout the season. There are a couple of things they listed that did surprise me though.

This will be my final post on this subject, as I agree with others that it is time to get back to football. Listen to me --- you just called me a "crazed liberal". FYI, I have voted Republican for most of my adult life. I do not agree with much of the shift of the Republican Party to the far right BUT I also don't agree with the shift of much of the Democratic Party further left. I now consider myself an Independent and have very little love for either party --- so cut the asinine bull^^^^ and the completely false labels (I suspect in your mind a "crazed liberal" is anyone who refutes some of the ridiculous claims that come from far right extremists), As I said in an earlier post, you love to play the victim. My post HAD NOTHING to do with politics --- yours, mine, or anyone else's.

Last edited:
QB (no surprise)
Allar
Pribula
Smolik

Singleton or Allen
Potts
Montgomery or Wallace

KLS
Clifford
Saunders
Driver

Wallace
Meiga or Cephas
Ivey

Evans
McClain or Cephas
Johnson

Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
Schlaffer or Rappleyea

Fashanu
Shelton
Nelson
Williams

Tengwall or Nelson
Donkoh
Traore

Nourzad
Dawkins
Penn

Wormley
Loane
Birchmeier
Israel-Achumba

Wallace
Shelton
Birchmeier
Onoh

Robinson or Isaac
Vanover
Wilson
Mupoyi

Dennis-Sutton or Isaac
Fisher
Lyons

Beamon
Ellies
Artis

Durant or Izzard
van den Berg
Townley

Jacobs
DeLuca
Keys

King or Elsdon
Wylie
Robinson
Yates

Carter
Rojas
Pryts

Dixon or Hardy
Miller
Tracy

CB
King
Hardy
Washington
Payne

Winston or Reed
Mills
Nelson

Wheatley or Ellis
Flowers
Mack

Some thoughts on your comments. Sorry for the ramblings.....

Wallace
Meiga or Cephas
Ivey
Or, is the coaching staff making Cephas earn his advances up the depth chart. Meiga is reportedly catching the ball better and I wouldn't expect the staff to just annoint Cephas a starting role or key backup from the start of Fall practice after just showing up during the Summer. I believe that depth chart was put out towards the start of Fall practice. Lots can and will change at postions of competition before the WVU game and also likely as a few positions through the first few games.

Evans
McClain or Cephas
Johnson
Again, I don't know how Cephus would be ahead of McClain after a few practices when Cephus just showed up a month ago and McClain has participated in the Winter S&C program, impressed the staff with his work ethic and testing numbers, caught passes from the QB's from January through Spring practices and the Summer, and also seems to be at least as talented as Cephus, although not quite as experienced.

Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
Schlaffer or Rappleyea
As above, Schaffler enrolled in January and Rappleyea showed up this Summer. So although Rappleyea is reportedly bigger, stronger and more ready physically for the B10, he has some catching up to do regarding getting on the same page with the QB's and learning the playbook. With the TE's ahead of them I believe it's unlikely either of them are not redshirted, in spite of the speculation that Rappleyea is pretty ready to play in the B10.

Fashanu
Shelton
Nelson
Williams
Nelson has reportedly been practicing well at both Guard and OT and I believe the staff has suggested that he could be the 4th OT behind Olu, Wallace and Shelton. Hard to play OT as a true frosh but if one of the above 4 got hurt that likely would move Williams into a backup spot. It seems logical that the staff will still try and redshirt Williams even if they plan to get him some experience, given the depth in more seasoned olinemen on the roster and the position flexibility of Nelson.

Tengwall or Nelson
Donkoh
Traore
Tengwall has been hurt for some time and if he can not play to start the season the battle to start at LG seems to be between Nelson and Vega. But it seems that Nelson has been practicing at LG and OT and listed at both, whereas Vega has reportedly been practicing at all the interior spots, but only listed at RG. If it looks like Tengwall is going to be out for some time and Vega does not beat out Wallace we may see the staff stick with Wallace at RG and then play both Nelson and Vega at LG to give them both playing time and game development. JMO.

Nourzad
Dawkins
Don't know much about Penn, but it may be that Vega is the emergency OC as he's reportedly getting practice reps there, and since there seems to be more options at Guard subject to injuries.

Robinson or Isaac
To me this seems to indicate that there are three starting DE's now that DDS has shown he is as good at Robinson and Isaac. And that although the staff likes Robinson and Isaac as starters, DDS may start some games as well as a reward for his being "unblockable" as stated by Franklin after the B/W game.

I agree with you. It looks to me that if this was a correct snapshot of the DL at the time of publish that the staff was trying to recognize the practice play of the top 3 DT's to that point, Beamon, Izzard and Durant. Most fans speculate that Ellies will start, but although he's the oldest and most experienced of the 1 tech DT's the competition to start will likely be stiff. Izzard seemed to be the most disruptive DT towards the end of last season and he's big enough to start at 1 tech as well. Interesting to see how the DT's rotate versus WVU.

Putting DeLuca on scholarship seems to indicate that he will be a contributor, but not necessarily the starter at Sam during his PSU career. DeLuca is likely a special teams leader and backup LB going forward. See below.

Some here thought that the hype on and talent of Rojas would propel him to start at LB in 2023. But with Carter and Jacobs on the outside (both extremely talented and experienced) and King and Elsdon on the inside, along with DeLuka who backed up at Sam last season and earned his scholarship, the only real spot open in the 2 deep was backing up at Will. Not a surprise to me, but it looks like Rojas beat out Wylie at Will and they moved Wylie to Mike which gives Wylie position flexibility going forward, valuable to the team. But I look for Rojas to compete to start at Sam in 2024, along with Carter still at Will and King at Mike backed up by Robinson. Maybe Rojas moves back to Will in 2025 when he'll probably be 235lb+.

Dixon or Hardy
Staff (Smith) has recently commented that Hardy will get more playing time outside this season. The staff might not have an "or" here but the "or" does recognize Hardy's long tenure and above average play at CB (mainly slot) the last few years.
As I believe I've mentioned, with to top 3 CB's likely moving on after this season I believe the staff will disproportionately play some of the young corners when they have a chance in order to accelerate their experience towards big roles in 2024. From among Washington, Tracy, Payne and Collins (if he can put on some muscle....). Miller is likely being groomed to start, possibly as the #1 CB, for 2024

Wallace
Meiga or Cephas
Ivey
Or, is the coaching staff making Cephas earn his advances up the depth chart. Meiga is reportedly catching the ball better and I wouldn't expect the staff to just annoint Cephas a starting role or key backup from the start of Fall practice after just showing up during the Summer. I believe that depth chart was put out towards the start of Fall practice. Lots can and will change at postions of competition before the WVU game and also likely as a few positions through the first few games.

Evans
McClain or Cephas
Johnson
Again, I don't know how Cephus would be ahead of McClain after a few practices when Cephus just showed up a month ago and McClain has participated in the Winter S&C program, impressed the staff with his work ethic and testing numbers, caught passes from the QB's from January through Spring practices and the Summer, and also seems to be at least as talented as Cephus, although not quite as experienced.

Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
Schlaffer or Rappleyea
As above, Schaffler enrolled in January and Rappleyea showed up this Summer. So although Rappleyea is reportedly bigger, stronger and more ready physically for the B10, he has some catching up to do regarding getting on the same page with the QB's and learning the playbook. With the TE's ahead of them I believe it's unlikely either of them are not redshirted, in spite of the speculation that Rappleyea is pretty ready to play in the B10.

Fashanu
Shelton
Nelson
Williams
Nelson has reportedly been practicing well at both Guard and OT and I believe the staff has suggested that he could be the 4th OT behind Olu, Wallace and Shelton. Hard to play OT as a true frosh but if one of the above 4 got hurt that likely would move Williams into a backup spot. It seems logical that the staff will still try and redshirt Williams even if they plan to get him some experience, given the depth in more seasoned olinemen on the roster and the position flexibility of Nelson.

Tengwall or Nelson
Donkoh
Traore
Tengwall has been hurt for some time and if he can not play to start the season the battle to start at LG seems to be between Nelson and Vega. But it seems that Nelson has been practicing at LG and OT and listed at both, whereas Vega has reportedly been practicing at all the interior spots, but only listed at RG. If it looks like Tengwall is going to be out for some time and Vega does not beat out Wallace we may see the staff stick with Wallace at RG and then play both Nelson and Vega at LG to give them both playing time and game development. JMO.

Nourzad
Dawkins
Don't know much about Penn, but it may be that Vega is the emergency OC as he's reportedly getting practice reps there, and since there seems to be more options at Guard subject to injuries.

Robinson or Isaac
To me this seems to indicate that there are three starting DE's now that DDS has shown he is as good at Robinson and Isaac. And that although the staff likes Robinson and Isaac as starters, DDS may start some games as well as a reward for his being "unblockable" as stated by Franklin after the B/W game.

I agree with you. It looks to me that if this was a correct snapshot of the DL at the time of publish that the staff was trying to recognize the practice play of the top 3 DT's to that point, Beamon, Izzard and Durant. Most fans speculate that Ellies will start, but although he's the oldest and most experienced of the 1 tech DT's the competition to start will likely be stiff. Izzard seemed to be the most disruptive DT towards the end of last season and he's big enough to start at 1 tech as well. Interesting to see how the DT's rotate versus WVU.

Putting DeLuca on scholarship seems to indicate that he will be a contributor, but not necessarily the starter at Sam during his PSU career. DeLuca is likely a special teams leader and backup LB going forward. See below.

Some here thought that the hype on and talent of Rojas would propel him to start at LB in 2023. But with Carter and Jacobs on the outside (both extremely talented and experienced) and King and Elsdon on the inside, along with DeLuka who backed up at Sam last season and earned his scholarship, the only real spot open in the 2 deep was backing up at Will. Not a surprise to me, but it looks like Rojas beat out Wylie at Will and they moved Wylie to Mike which gives Wylie position flexibility going forward, valuable to the team. But I look for Rojas to compete to start at Sam in 2024, along with Carter still at Will and King at Mike backed up by Robinson. Maybe Rojas moves back to Will in 2025 when he'll probably be 235lb+.

Dixon or Hardy
Staff (Smith) has recently commented that Hardy will get more playing time outside this season. The staff might not have an "or" here but the "or" does recognize Hardy's long tenure and above average play at CB (mainly slot) the last few years.
As I believe I've mentioned, with to top 3 CB's likely moving on after this season I believe the staff will disproportionately play some of the young corners when they have a chance in order to accelerate their experience towards big roles in 2024. From among Washington, Tracy, Payne and Collins (if he can put on some muscle....). Miller is likely being groomed to start, possibly as the #1 CB, for 2024
The point you made with regard to the wide receiver depth chart, I think it applies throughout. Some of these younger guys and a wide receiver like Cephas are probably higher up than a few others who have been there longer, but the staff is not going to immediately put them up that high. I think the depth chart that we see next Saturday and the depth chart we see three weeks after that will be different in three or four spots.

Reactions: Online Persona
The point you made with regard to the wide receiver depth chart, I think it applies throughout. Some of these younger guys and a wide receiver like Cephas are probably higher up than a few others who have been there longer, but the staff is not going to immediately put them up that high. I think the depth chart that we see next Saturday and the depth chart we see three weeks after that will be different in three or four spots.
Seems like common sense to me

One of the areas where I commend coach Franklin, is his consistency in playing the best available players regardless of the player’s seniority. The class seniority of the player is irrelevant. If the best player turns out to be a freshman (think Abdul Carter in 2022), then they should receive the majority of the snaps.

Wallace
Meiga or Cephas
Ivey

Evans
McClain or Cephas
Johnson

Johnson
Warren
Dinkins
Cross
Schlaffer or Rappleyea

Fashanu
Shelton
Nelson
Williams

Tengwall or Nelson
Donkoh
Traore

Nourzad
Dawkins

Robinson or Isaac

Dixon or Hardy
Thank you for articulating those thoughts. That was exactly the type of discussion that I was hoping the thread could generate. Really an insightful and practical take on all postions.

This will be my final post on this subject, as I agree with others that it is time to get back to football. Listen to me --- you just called me a "crazed liberal". FYI, I have voted Republican for most of my adult life. I do not agree with much of the shift of the Republican Party to the far right BUT I also don't agree with the shift of much of the Democratic Party further left. I now consider myself an Independent and have very little love for either party --- so cut the asinine bull^^^^ and the completely false labels (I suspect in your mind a "crazed liberal" is anyone who refutes some of the ridiculous claims that come from far right extremists), As I said in an earlier post, you love to play the victim. My post HAD NOTHING to do with politics --- yours, mine, or anyone else's.
It's much more fun to blame everything on the vaccine. They would probably blame climate change on the vaccine too, except they deny climate change :)

News Flash --- almost all of those "racist Dems" were from Southern States and are now solidly Republican.
I call BS. Looking at your history, it is fairly obvious that you are very far left leaning. I even omitted quoting some of the more leftist posts that you made on this board in the quotes above.

At any rate, I don't care to rehash your false accusation of me. Other posters have also stated that they have seen the info that I posted in this thread in a non-premium article. It would be best for you to simply admit that your original accusation was false, and we move on.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Shelton is likely the 3rd Tackle regardless of side.

I think rotating Chop and Issac makes sense, but I'm not sure that it plays out that way.

I think Rojas is likely the 1st LB off the bench at either outside spot.

Isaac and Sutton are better containment DEs. Chop is a terror pass rusher. There is nothing worse for tackle than having deal with Chop's power and speed in 3rd down pass protection. Does not matter who is #1 on list.

Reactions: lazydave841
Isaac and Sutton are better containment DEs. Chop is a terror pass rusher. There is nothing worse for tackle than having deal with Chop's power and speed in 3rd down pass protection. Does not matter who is #1 on list.
Isaac and Chop are off to the NFL after this season. Hopefully Smith Vilbert can return at full strength because I don't think that position will be as elite next season. Certainly Dennis-Sutton will be but replacing Isaac and Chop isn't going to be easy for 2024. But I digress, 2023 that position looks very promising.

Great "problem" to have. Truly excited to see all 3. Issac fully healed and a year plus on the leg. Chop after a full year in the program, a full year if being a DE vs a LB. And DDS ready to take his crown and be the man. Havoc guys.

Reactions: Online Persona
It’s posted for free on the internet dude. I saw it yesterday. Quit pissing your pants over nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT