ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech 38 Pitt 21

I think it’s kinda funny that you guys are doing Pitt game day threads over here now. Maybe we have to take a page out of this site’s book and start posting the score in the title, smart idea.

Tech lost to Marshall who gave up a billion yards today. And still won

I think it’s kinda funny that you guys are doing Pitt game day threads over here now. Maybe we have to take a page out of this site’s book and start posting the score in the title, smart idea.
That’s because we remember just a couple of years ago when Pitt posters were on here telling us how far ahead of us your program is. Bwahaha.

That’s because we remember just a couple of years ago when Pitt posters were on here telling us how far ahead of us your program is. Bwahaha.
You could’ve made that argument after 2021, but the difference since then is that Franklin got Penn State back to being a top ten program while Narduzzi wasn’t able to build off the ACC title and get us to that level. All comes down to coaching (and a lot more talent, lol).

You could’ve made that argument after 2021, but the difference since then is that Franklin got Penn State back to being a top ten program while Narduzzi wasn’t able to build off the ACC title and get us to that level. Difference comes down to coaching (and a lot more talent, lol

You could’ve made that argument after 2021, but the difference since then is that Franklin got Penn State back to being a top ten program while Narduzzi wasn’t able to build off the ACC title and get us to that level. All comes down to coaching (and a lot more talent, lol).
Nobody could have made that argument. We had a bad year in Covid, but we’re also not playing in the ACC. One year doesn’t mean a program is ahead of another one.

Whats Naduzzi's buyout? I'd advise saving up.

Nobody could have made that argument. We had a bad year in Covid, but we’re also not playing in the ACC. One year doesn’t mean a program is ahead of another one.
I think we’re on the same page here. Penn State has and always will have a better football program than Pitt, but Pitt was in a better place in 2021 and heading into 2022.

I think that’s likely what most fans would’ve meant when they’d say that, although I’m sure you had a few Yinzers who thought otherwise.

I'm going to love to hear coach Narduzzi, Master of Defense, explain how a punchless Va Tech team just blew out Pitt. Nardogs "pro" defensive scheme just leaked in 38 points. Hey....how'd that happen Master Nardouchebag?

Now 1-4 and 0-2 in the ACC, it's time to blow TAPS, Now a losing record, no bowl game, maybe just 2 or 3 wins, and possible 2024 commitments jumping ship.

These are the good times!

Reactions: bison13
I'm going to love to hear coach Narduzzi, Master of Defense, explain how a punchless Va Tech team just blew out Pitt. Nardogs "pro" defensive scheme just leaked in 38 points. Hey....how'd that happen Master Nardouchebag?

Now 1-4 and 0-2 in the ACC, it's time to blow TAPS, Now a losing record, no bowl game, maybe just 2 or 3 wins, and possible 2024 commitments jumping ship.

He’ll have to check the tapes.

LOL, too high to even bother right now unless Cuban or Tepper are feeling generous. Has to be at least $35M if he’s making $5M+ through 2030. Lyke has been an incredible AD, but that extension is not going to age well.
I could see why they extended him at the time: he had some good wins under his belt and he didn't have one eye on the door, so it made sense (at least to me) for Pitt to lock him in. He has to adjust to the transfer portal, NIL, and so on, so we'll see if he can. He is annoying as hell (kinda like a Danny Ainge of coaching) if he's not coaching your teams, but up until this seasons he has done OK for Pitt.

One thing about coach Franklin at PSU, he learns and adjusts. James has made it through sanctions, covid (which was particularly annoying for PSU because they had key new assistants that year and lost some players due to the B1G initially deciding to cancel the season), and now the new rules. Argue about his game day coaching, but he can flat out run a program.

I could see why they extended him at the time: he had some good wins under his belt and he didn't have one eye on the door, so it made sense (at least to me) for Pitt to lock him in. He has to adjust to the transfer portal, NIL, and so on, so we'll see if he can. He is annoying as hell (kinda like a Danny Ainge of coaching) if he's not coaching your teams, but up until this seasons he has done OK for Pitt.

One thing about coach Franklin at PSU, he learns and adjusts. James has made it through sanctions, covid (which was particularly annoying for PSU because they had key new assistants that year and lost some players due to the B1G initially deciding to cancel the season), and now the new rules. Argue about his game day coaching, but he can flat out run a program.
Agreed on all fronts, including your last part. Ultimately, Narduzzi’s stubbornness will be what does him in. He really hasn’t adjusted as a head coach since arriving in 2015; game-day decision making is the same, offensive and defensive philosophies are the same. The only thing that had improved was the depth and talent, which Covid might’ve played a factor in. I guess you can say he adjusted to the portal as well, but pretty much everyone had done that outside of Dabo.

It’s frustrating because he’s our best coach since Sherrill as a result of actually winning something, but it’s becoming apparent that he’s unable to propel the program further.

Reactions: OzLion
Agreed on all fronts, including your last part. Ultimately, Narduzzi’s stubbornness will be what does him in. He really hasn’t adjusted as a head coach since arriving in 2015; game-day decision making is the same, offensive and defensive philosophies are the same. The only thing that had improved was the depth and talent, which Covid might’ve played a factor in. I guess you can say he adjusted to the portal as well, but pretty much everyone had done that outside of Dabo.

It’s frustrating because he’s our best coach since Sherrill as a result of actually winning something, but it’s becoming apparent that he’s unable to propel the program further.
It start with fans. Have none, then no energy in stadium. No energy in stadium means no recruits. No talent means mediocrity (or worse).

It start with fans. Have none, then no energy in stadium. No energy in stadium means no recruits. No talent means mediocrity (or worse).
Respectfully, the problem has never been the fans. Our fanbase is right where it should be for an urban university with an undergrad enrollment of <20,000 students.

The issue is that +/- 40,000 attendance looks terrible in a 70,000-seat stadium. And that’s where I agree regarding no energy in the stadium, etc. Posters on our site laugh when I comment we should play games at PNC Park, but we’d sellout every game and have one of the more unique environments in college football. Heinz is awesome when it’s sold out and we’re playing in a big game, but it’s a struggle to generate a good atmosphere otherwise.

The issue is that +/- 40,000 attendance looks terrible in a 70,000-seat stadium. And that’s where I agree regarding no energy in the stadium, etc. Posters on our site laugh when I comment we should play games at PNC Park, but we’d sellout every game and have one of the more unique environments in college football...
This is how the smaller schools in the Big 12 do it. Have a 40K-50K seat stadium filled with fans and its very high energy. Watch Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State as examples when they have decent teams, they have a good home field advantage.

[BTW Penn State hoops has the same challenge playing in the Brice Jordan Center.]

I’m not in agreement that a major university in a major U.S. city can only be expected to pull 40k fans to a game. Especially one in a what has traditionally been a football hotbed.

I’m not in agreement that a major university in a major U.S. city can only be expected to pull 40k fans to a game. Especially one in a what has traditionally been a football hotbed.
I don’t know. There’s a misconception sometimes that we had much better fan support in the 70s and 80s when we were an elite program. We averaged about 45,000/game the year we won a national championship and I believe it was around 50,000 during 80 and 81. This is pretty much the average for us.
This is how the smaller schools in the Big 12 do it. Have a 40K-50K seat stadium filled with fans and its very high energy. Watch Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State as examples when they have decent teams, they have a good home field advantage.

[BTW Penn State hoops has the same challenge playing in the Brice Jordan Center.]
We’ve seen it first-hand living in Kansas City. There are some great fan bases out here with great environments. You can throw Baylor and TCU in there as well. I wish we were able to see the original Big 12 in its heyday… what a fun conference.

Reactions: OzLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT