ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt football in proper perspective

saturdaysarebetter2

Nov 18, 2022
Pitt football fans are the most delusional in all of sports. Pitt football in proper perspective:

Pitt football fans are the most delusional in all of sports. Pitt football in proper perspective:

Wow, that’s gonna leave a mark!

Spot on! That's Pitt reality. The 2024,season should be another losing season with continued lousy recruiting classes and departure of most of their coaching staff.

Pitt sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck. The question for 2024: can they do worse than the 3-9 from 2023?

Wow, that’s gonna leave a mark!

It’s a good read for those aging folks who thinks it’s good for psu to play them every year!

I read the other article about Pitt’s all time team that’s linked in this article and it’s a stunning collection of football talent. Hugh Greene, Ricky Jackson, Tony Dorsett, Darrell Revis, Larry Fitzgerald, Bill Fralic Aaron Donald, Mark May, Jimbo Covert were all superb college players. What a strange paradox between individual talent produced, and the grotesquely horrible team performance. This has to be a reflection of poor coaching, recruiting and player development.

I read the other article about Pitt’s all time team that’s linked in this article and it’s a stunning collection of football talent. Hugh Greene, Ricky Jackson, Tony Dorsett, Darrell Revis, Larry Fitzgerald, Bill Fralic Aaron Donald, Mark May, Jimbo Covert were all superb college players. What a strange paradox between individual talent produced, and the grotesquely horrible team performance. This has to be a reflection of poor coaching, recruiting and player development.
If you look at that list most were home grown, W Pa talent. I think it’s more like some really great kids grew up as Pitt fans and/or wanted to play close to home.

A couple had grade/ behavioral issues that limited their choices. And a couple were mid level high schoolers that blossomed.

And there more great Pitt players…. Mike Ditka, Shady McCoy, Curtis Marvin(6th all time NFL rusher), Dan Marino.

Last edited:
It’s a good read for those aging folks who thinks it’s good for psu to play them every year!
Actually I think it's "us older folks" like me who don't want to play Pitt any more. My dislike about everything Pitt goes back 45 years. I refuse to put people in their stands. Their fan base is as resentful and jealous as it always has been. Pitt is a "wannabe" that will always be a "neverbe". Let them continue to be irrelevant. I'm hoping and praying for the day Temple passes them to become number 2 in Pennsylvania.😂

All Penn Staters who live within the metro Pittsburgh area are snickering along with this article. Those of us who live in this region are exposed to the continual hype and ad nauseam dribble of the Pitt beat writers. It is bad - real bad. So much cool-aid. The article nails it and hammers the point home. Snicker snicker snicker !

It’s funny listening to Pitt fans act like playing in the rented Steeler’s stadium is some massive advantage. Outside of Allegheny county absolutely no one cares about the Steeler’s stadium, (whatever they call it now).

It’s like saying Temple is going to have a huge advantage and recruit so much better because they play in the Eagle’s stadium. Or Tulane had a huge advantage when they played in the Superdome.

No Pitt fan would ever make that argument for Temple but they immediately turn around and make it for Pitt.

Last edited:
It’s funny listening to Pitt fans act like playing in the rented Steelers stadium is some massive advantage. Outside of Allegheny county absolutely no one cares about the Steelers stadium, (whatever they call it now).

It’s like saying Temple is going to have a huge advantage and recruit so much better because they play in the Eagles stadium. Or Tulane had a huge advantage when they played in the Superdome.

No Pitt fan would ever make that argument for Temple but they immediately turn around and make it for Pitt.
The recruiting numbers bear out what you said.

How many Top 25 recruiting classes has Pitt football had since playing off campus? Just two since 2002. Two. Playing off-campus in shared facilities with an NFL team has not attracted the country’s best recruits as promised.

In the past 22 years that recruiting classes have been ranked, Pitt’s recruiting has averaged 41st in the country. Pitt’s 2023 recruiting class according to Rivals is ranked 52nd. Pitt had only five recruiting classes finish in the top 30 of Rivals’ recruiting rankings with the highest being ranked 21st in 2006 and also in 2021, and had three top-30 recruiting classes from 2006 through 2008.

The promised notion that sharing a stadium with the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers would be a huge recruiting advantage has been proven to not be true.

Actually I think it's "us older folks" like me who don't want to play Pitt any more. My dislike about everything Pitt goes back 45 years. I refuse to put people in their stands. Their fan base is as resentful and jealous as it always has been. Pitt is a "wannabe" that will always be a "neverbe". Let them continue to be irrelevant. I'm hoping and praying for the day Temple passes them to become number 2 in Pennsylvania.😂
I’m with you 100%.

Reactions: PSUfiji
Hard to read
When was the last time Delaware or UMass finished in the top 10?

It is good to play Pitt every once in a while to give them a beating and remind them that they suck.
What does UDel or UMass rankings have to do with it? Those are payday games.

When Pitt will play a payday game at PSU or agree to a 3-1 home/away setup, they can be added back to the schedule. Until then, there is no way it makes any sense to dedicate a home and away series to them.

Hard to read

When Pitt will play a payday game at PSU or agree to a 3-1 home/away setup, they can be added back to the schedule. Until then, there is no way it makes any sense to dedicate a home and away series to them.
Let them be. Who needs them and who cares.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
1. There's a difference between having 1 or 2 excellent players and a solid 2-deep at all 22 positions

2. Hugh Greene, Ricky Jackson, and Mark May's final season was in 80 (44 yrs ago). Dorsett was 76. Fralic was 84. Covert was 82. All of these guys played or were recruited when Pitt was still relevant. Only Fitz, Revis, Donald, and I'll throw in Lesean McCoy, could be considered in this paradox.

3. Tony Romo went to Eastern Illinois. Brock Purdy was Iowa State. NFL Players come from across all of college football. The MAC has 27 players on opening day rosters this year. The American had 51 and the Sunbelt had 45.

What is slightly interesting is that Pitt had 19 players on opening day rosters, more than Fla St, Mich St, or Utah. FWIW, here is a break down of the conferences and schools WRT alums on opening day NFL rosters.

I am in the minority, but I prefer to play our only FORMER natural rival every season.

There, I fixed it for you.
When Pitt ceased being competent/relevant, they stopped being a rival. Pitt is a rival to PSU like a 10yo boy is to his 16yo brother in a 1-on-1 basketball game.

Reactions: LemonEars
1. There's a difference between having 1 or 2 excellent players and a solid 2-deep at all 22 positions

2. Hugh Greene, Ricky Jackson, and Mark May's final season was in 80 (44 yrs ago). Dorsett was 76. Fralic was 84. Covert was 82. All of these guys played or were recruited when Pitt was still relevant. Only Fitz, Revis, Donald, and I'll throw in Lesean McCoy, could be considered in this paradox.

3. Tony Romo went to Eastern Illinois. Brock Purdy was Iowa State. NFL Players come from across all of college football. The MAC has 27 players on opening day rosters this year. The American had 51 and the Sunbelt had 45.

What is slightly interesting is that Pitt had 19 players on opening day rosters, more than Fla St, Mich St, or Utah. FWIW, here is a break down of the conferences and schools WRT alums on opening day NFL rosters.

Funny story about Bill Fralic. Johnny Majors was golfing at a charity event and Bill Fralic was his caddy. Major’s asked him if he played football ….yes….then asked him at what college? Fralic said “I am only in eighth grade!”

That’s how big he was already and Majors started recruiting him then.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Hard to read

I dont know. Maybe because we played them last year and they did not meet the exact reasons that poster did not want to play Pitt.

They had a winning record vs PSU up until Joe started. They also have more national championships.
The NCAA only recognizes Pitt as having five national championships. Four in seemingly antediluvian days. Penn State is recognized as having won four national championships, but don't get me started on 1969 and 1994.

That's like me saying I won more Superbowls than the Steelers except that was when I was playing Madden Football on my Xbox.

Not really. They were playing D1 football and beating Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn state.

Stick to Madden.

Last edited:
Not really. They were playing D1 football and beating Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn state.

Stick to Madden.
In Pitt's "claimed" national championship seasons of 1915, 1916, and 1918, Pitt did not play Michigan nor Notre Dame. Please try harder.

Reactions: bison13
Pitt and the phony NC. Other than the one consensus nc, all were local or regional.

Total BS.

Reactions: bison13
They had a winning record vs PSU up until Joe started. They also have more national championships.
Pitt had INTEGRITY AT ONE TIME before Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill showed up. Back in the Dorsett, Hugh Green, Bill Fralic, Jimbo Covert, Mark May, etc era, Pitt sold out to winning football. Anybody could get into Pitt. Pitt was able to get all these dunce kids who could never get into PSU, ND, UM, and OSU. Reading and writing competence was not a requirement to get into Pitt. Johnny (Walker Red) Majors didn't care.

Yeah.....Pitt did have integrity at one time. After Majors and Sherrill left, Pitt decided to have integrity again. You've seen the results of that for the past 40 years.

Stick to Madden.
They have never beaten Michigan (0-2).

Pitt has played Michigan only twice all-time, both times in Ann Arbor, with the scores being 40-0 in 1941 and 69-0 in 1947 in Michigan’s favor. Apparently, being defeated 109-0 taught the Panthers not to play the Wolverines ever again.

Better get the updated Madden.

They have never beaten Michigan (0-2).

Pitt has played Michigan only twice all-time, both times in Ann Arbor, with the scores being 40-0 in 1941 and 69-0 in 1947 in Michigan’s favor. Apparently, being defeated 109-0 taught the Panthers not to play the Wolverines ever again.

Better get the updated Madden.
Since you either used to or still live in Kansas City, did you attend the parade today? If so, everyone OK in your neck of the woods? Fortunately, we had left before the shooting started.

Since you either used to or still live in Kansas City, did you attend the parade today? If so, everyone OK in your neck of the woods? Fortunately, we had left before the shooting started.
Im in PA right now working to get my mother back to independence,

Glad to hear you are safe!

What the hell is wrong with people!!!!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
No way Pitt ever beat Carnegie-Mellon. Carnegie Tech, yes, but not Carnegie-Mellon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT