ADVERTISEMENT

Very early Iowa vs Penn State predictions

I think some Iowa posters came here to see if we conceded that they're better at all 10 weights than us and are disappointed to see that isn't the result.

Regardless, Iowa looked how I expected them to look, very damn good.

Actually, I come here because I live a million miles from wrestling country and enjoy reading what everyone else is seeing. Just like on the Hawks boards, it seems BW has 70-80 percent realists and then some dreamers. I think the dual will be pretty close in all but two matches. I think Lee and Kemerer are machines and I can't see your guys, even as talented as Carter Starocci is, compete with them. Also, I just don't think Joe Lee has the talent yet to beat Alex Marinelli. As for the rest of the matches, I think they could go either way. Hoping they go our way, but I'm a realist and know that won't be the case. :)

Actually, I come here because I live a million miles from wrestling country and enjoy reading what everyone else is seeing. Just like on the Hawks boards, it seems BW has 70-80 percent realists and then some dreamers. I think the dual will be pretty close in all but two matches. I think Lee and Kemerer are machines and I can't see your guys, even as talented as Carter Starocci is, compete with them. Also, I just don't think Joe Lee has the talent yet to beat Alex Marinelli. As for the rest of the matches, I think they could go either way. Hoping they go our way, but I'm a realist and know that won't be the case. :)

Apologies for the blanket statement. You are a fantastic and classy poster and I respect the hell out of you. Just joking that Iowa fans popped up on the board late Friday night after the Nebraska dual to question some of our predictions (which I fully admit are homer predictions)

Sadly, the problem with Kaleb Young in the past is that he looked really solid one match and then for some reason was flat the next. I'm hopeful the Kaleb who peaked 2 years ago at NCAAs is back.

Kaleb is a big boy taking one for the team. In my eyes, he looks every bit as big as Bull to me who isn't exactly a small 165. Eye test I know doesn't work sometimes but it's definitely obvious the cut isn't an easy one for him. He was also wrestling 165/174 before 2019.

You think Starocci having no shot against MK is the "realistic", level-headed view??? And your opinions aren't tainted by big homer-googles like 30% of the BWI Board.... - got it, LMAO.

You - and your predictions - remind me of some of the Iowa guys on the Hawkeye board, especially back when PSU was ruling the wrestling world. They, like you, would create some dream scenario where Iowa would win by a landslide. I love the competition and the love for your team, and I even think PSU has a chance of winning this dual. But 28-9? And you think the #1 guy at 74, who went 1-1 with Hall last year, is going to be MAJ'd by the very worthy freshman? And you think you'll get a fall at 84? Again, you remind me of some of my Iowa brethren...dreamers. :) Just the same, I look forward to the dual...it should be excellent! :)

Interesting that you use the word “was” ruling the wrestling world, LOL!

You think Starocci having no shot against MK is the "realistic", level-headed view??? And your opinions aren't tainted by big homer-googles like 30% of the BWI Board.... - got it, LMAO.
I'm giving our Hawk friends the benefit of the doubt. They probably haven't seen much of Starocci except youtube video of him losing to Abe Assad by criteria at the Cadet Freestyle trials in 2018. They lose internet service when they try to watch the re-match at the Pittsburgh Classic in 2019. And they have very little idea of his improvement since 2019. You know, nobody improves in the PSU room. They recruit National Champs right out of Senior Prom!

Carter just seems to pass every challenge that is thrown at him and ups the ante for what he can do. Besides his own admission of how much he struggled in the room at first, the results are evident.

He started last year by beating NQ level guys in close matches (like Harvey 3-2 and Siegrist 2-0)

By the scuffle, he was beating them super comfortably, like 7 point decisions or outright majors.

In freestyle, he decimated Skatzka (yes it's free but don't tell me a folk match wouldn't have ended in a similar fashion), Bullard then beat Marstellar.

Apologies for the blanket statement. You are a fantastic and classy poster and I respect the hell out of you. Just joking that Iowa fans popped up on the board late Friday night after the Nebraska dual to question some of our predictions (which I fully admit are homer predictions)

Thanks for the feedback, my friend. Most of you guys on this site keep it real so I like checking in from time to time to see what you're seeing with your wrestlers. I trust Cael and company will have the squad ready for a run come March, and am hoping that we actually get to see a show in March! :)

Interesting that you use the word “was” ruling the wrestling world, LOL!

And from the looks of your current freshmen and the recruiting boards it appears as if you may be back there again, perhaps as soon as next year depending on who goes and stays with the COVID rules, and how quick your talented freshman this year and next can compete at the top level. Though I hate to admit it, I do see a chink or two in our armor and can see a scenario, if everything went well for PSU where you could get 3 and potentially 4 at the top of the podium this March. 33, 41 and 84 are definitely possible, and I even think 285 is an outside shot. I've seen some video footage online where Kerk gave Steveson all he wanted in a match, and given a few months with the HWTs in the room, who knows. Back to your point, I think it's safe to say that last year was ours (for a change) and perhaps this year will be again, but after that who knows. Okie State seems to get outstanding recruits each year, but those same recruits also seem to underperform each year, so it's hard to think of them as a threat until they truly become one.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu and PASLP2
I'm giving our Hawk friends the benefit of the doubt. They probably haven't seen much of Starocci except youtube video of him losing to Abe Assad by criteria at the Cadet Freestyle trials in 2018. They lose internet service when they try to watch the re-match at the Pittsburgh Classic in 2019. And they have very little idea of his improvement since 2019. You know, nobody improves in the PSU room. They recruit National Champs right out of Senior Prom!

The Zain train is serious evidence of improvements in the room, going from a podium guy to dominating everybody. And to your point, the reality is that guys like me truly have no clue how everyone is doing in the room. We've got to count on Flo, InterMat, etc., and whatever we can find on YouTube. In a few weeks when they square off, if Starocci keeps it close (2-3 points) against Kemerer, I will be impressed. But until I see that, especially after watching the Hall/Kem matches towards the latter part of the year, I will say Carter has a huge uphill battle. But not writing anyone off. I mean Spencer got stuck by Okie State (Picc) so anything is poss.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
The Zain train is serious evidence of improvements in the room, going from a podium guy to dominating everybody. And to your point, the reality is that guys like me truly have no clue how everyone is doing in the room. We've got to count on Flo, InterMat, etc., and whatever we can find on YouTube. In a few weeks when they square off, if Starocci keeps it close (2-3 points) against Kemerer, I will be impressed. But until I see that, especially after watching the Hall/Kem matches towards the latter part of the year, I will say Carter has a huge uphill battle. But not writing anyone off. I mean Spencer got stuck by Okie State (Picc) so anything is poss.
$83 towards respective slush fund says Kem wont beat Starocci by 3 or more.

@STAND with PRIDE is making book!!!
giphy.gif

I get your point but gonna disagree with the Zain assessment. Zain was not a "podium guy," he was a national champ in the making.

The room bump turned him from a future champ to an all-timer.

$83 towards respective slush fund says Kem wont beat Starocci by 3 or more.

All right I am going to say it. Be kind re: this first part.

IMO I think Markie got a little burnt out last year and lost some of his edge and intensity. I was more than confident he would have won another NC last year had he the chance, but he was not 100% mentally up for the dual for some reason.

Then, If you listened to his own words he intimated Carter could have been a finalist had he been a starter last year. This 'might' translate to the two of them being even closer on the room than we all might think. No knock on Mark being one of our all time greats, but more of an illustration of what we now have in CS as a freshman. Just hanging with tough with Mark as a RSF would be a huge feet, and Mark's praise confirms.

Count me in the camp of those who will not be surprised in the least when he takes out Kemerer, more than once this year. Book it!

Last edited:
Reactions: PABulldogs
All right I am going to say it. Be kind re: this first part.

IMO I think Markie got a little burnt out last year and lost some of his edge and intensity. I was more than confident he would have won another NC last year had he the chance, but he was not 100% mentally up for the dual for some reason.

Then, If you listened to his own words he intimated Carter could have been a finalist had he been a starter last year. This 'might' translate to the two of them being even closer on the room than we all might think. No knock on Mark being one of our all time greats, but more of an illustration of what we now have in CS as a freshman. Just hanging with tough with Mark as a RSF would be a huge feet, and Mark's praise confirms.

Count me in the camp of those who will not be surprised in the least when he takes out Kemerer, more than once. Book it!

He was recently on Baschamnia and basically said he was burnt out and just trying to “be finished with wrestling”.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
He was recently on Baschamnia and basically said he was burnt out and just trying to “be finished with wrestling”.
Yeah that was surprising to hear. I think some of these elite guys have been working for so hard for so long, you can’t really blame them for wanting to step back now and again

Yeah that was surprising to hear. I think some of these elite guys have been working for so hard for so long, you can’t really blame them for wanting to step back now and again
No small part of why NIco shirted -- not that he sought the change of pace, but he listened to Cael.

After watching Iowa dismantle Minnesota last night, they are so tough. No weaknesses in their lineup at all. Penn State is going to have to win 6 matches since it's very likely that IA will get bonus points at 125 and probably 149 and/or 165 as well.

What six weights are possible? The best matchup is 184. That one is an absolute must. The best chances (in order IMO) at others are 133, 141, HWT, 157, and 174? It would be a little easier if Kerk were available since I think he could take Cass, but can Nevills? Have to beat 2 guys ranked #1 in the country (Eierman and Kemerer), one with a freshman? Is Berge 100% back to form? Could Beard go off the board and pull off a stunner against Warner? Oof, it's a tall order.

Can't wait to see Lee vs Eierman. That might be the match of the year.

Reactions: kevin310
After watching Iowa dismantle Minnesota last night, they are so tough. No weaknesses in their lineup at all. Penn State is going to have to win 6 matches since it's very likely that IA will get bonus points at 125 and probably 149 and/or 165 as well.

What six weights are possible? The best matchup is 184. That one is an absolute must. The best chances (in order IMO) at others are 133, 141, HWT, 157, and 174? It would be a little easier if Kerk were available since I think he could take Cass, but can Nevills? Have to beat 2 guys ranked #1 in the country (Eierman and Kemerer), one with a freshman? Is Berge 100% back to form? Could Beard go off the board and pull off a stunner against Warner? Oof, it's a tall order.

Max Murin will not bonus anyone we put out there

Agree that we need to win 6 weights because of Spencer Lee. We can potentially win at 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, & 285. We would need to win 6 of those 7 weights, which will be tough to do but it is possible.

I'd be shocked if they don't all return. It's a tight knit group, most of them will be sticking at HWC long term and they want 2 titles since they lost a chance last year. That being said, what is there to fear? You think our team is just going to concede to them?
I believe they're all on the record saying they'll be back. Kemerer's actually been offered a tenure-track position for next year lol.

3-2 in the BIG semis. I would not call RBY a heavy favorite. Favorite yes, but a match that could go either way.
Desanto also on his legs the whole match. RBY really played with fire that match. I think he could be more in control if he opens up a bit.

Marinelli didn't major Sparks (a True Freshman), so I don't think bonus at 165 is a given. But we haven't seen much of Joe Lee.

I am a big believer in C*. Although a major, I wouldn't say Kemerer was lights out against Allar.

Brands looked mortal against Salazar (another True Freshman). Have to give Aaron a big edge. Brands will not out quick him with go behinds.

I think the dual hangs on 149, 157, and 197. There's uncertainty aplenty at these weights. Would be nice to win 2 out of 3 and limit any Iowa win to a regular decision.

Regardless, I believe it will be a taller order without Kerkvliet in the lineup for likely 285 bonus.

I don't think the PSU wrestlers mind in the least Iowa being favored by conventional wisdom. They've proven they can overcome it.

Let's just hope the dual happens.

I just hope we get to see this match as it will be a dandy. Win or lose, it will help our young guns come post season to have seen the Hawks once.

Reactions: Lyons212
This is exactly backward. RBY had a strategy to counter Desanto's attacks and executed it multiple times. Desanto's failure to adjust was playing with fire.
No, he absolutely did not lol. He hit a beautiful blast double in the first 10 seconds and then didn't attack again the rest of the match.

If his strategy was "score in the first 10 seconds, let Desanto on my legs the entire rest of the match and hold on for stalemates, and just hope the official doesn't send it to OT with a stalling call with the Brands bros yelling in his ear for 7 minutes", then that is the DEFINITION of playing with fire.

Maybe you don't understand what the phrase "playing with fire" means?

Agree that we need to win 6 weights because of Spencer Lee. We can potentially win at 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, & 285. We would need to win 6 of those 7 weights, which will be tough to do but it is possible.

I think you forgot 197, which although we’d be the underdog, it’s certainly winnable.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT