ADVERTISEMENT

Very early Iowa vs Penn State predictions

I'd be shocked if they don't all return. It's a tight knit group, most of them will be sticking at HWC long term and they want 2 titles since they lost a chance last year. That being said, what is there to fear? You think our team is just going to concede to them?
Here’s the thing, we pretty much know Iowa’s ceiling and in my opinion the PSU ceiling is higher if these kids are as good as advertised. This is Cael 3.0. The third wave. Besides, PSU would have won last year if not for the injury bug. Just having a healthy Cassar would have tilted things PSU’s way.

Here’s the thing, we pretty much know Iowa’s ceiling and in my opinion the PSU ceiling is higher if these kids are as good as advertised. This is Cael 3.0. The third wave. Besides, PSU would have won last year if not for the injury bug. Just having a healthy Cassar would have tilted things PSU’s way.

With Cassar we may have won the dual but we needed everyone healthy to have a chance at NCAAs. That would mean Berge top 6. Rasheed & Conel top 4 and Cassar finalist and that still would not have been enough if Iowa wrestled to seeds at NCAAs.

This season if both PSU & Iowa stay healthy it's going to be a dog fight, assuming COVID doesn't screw everything up. Here's hoping.

I think Cael considers other measures if Cassar was available also, possibly pulling Beard in January and getting his conditioning up with how open 197 was last year outside of Moore. We'll never know, it was pretty obvious Kerkvliet being eligible was a long shot and losing Cassar was WAY too much to overcome.

I think the biggest thing about having Cassar is it puts the pressure on Iowa if we hang around into Saturday night. As it stood last year, they could have underachieved quite a bit and ran away with it just because we weren't expected to score more than 1-2 points at half our weights.

History shows Penn State EXCELS in Watershed moments that can swing a tournament. Does Iowa do the same? I actually do think the Iowa "choking" at nationals is a bit of an overblown narrative. That being said, who are you betting on Friday and Saturday night based on history?

Reactions: Lb4097
I think Carl for his standing in the pantheon of coaches needs to win when his team is not the favorite.

This or next season could very well be that bump

#150ptswith6freshmanstarters

Reactions: bwfight
I think Carl for his standing in the pantheon of coaches needs to win when his team is not the favorite.

How many times have we gone to the tournament as a clear cut favorite? I am counting just 2, 2016 and 2019.

Cassar, just think If he DID opt to wrestle the second year he was gifted by NCAA, with this being “free year” good lord he could have made a career of of this.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

I wasn't aware that first one was as the front runner coming in.

I don’t have a prediction for this year. I will predict that Iowa has a two year window to win one or two titles, and they should be favored both years (if their guys stay an extra year).

After that the window slams shut, and the bonus point machines in Bartlett, Van Ness, Starocci, Brooks, Kerkvliet, possibly Bouzakis, and others will roll over Iowa and everyone else in their path. 🌊

It's amazing how much one wrestler can mean to a program. Spencer pretty much breathed new life into the program. Pretty amazing that he left Pennsylvania.

It's amazing how much one wrestler can mean to a program. Spencer pretty much breathed new life into the program. Pretty amazing that he left Pennsylvania.

FaTgdd.gif

I don’t have a prediction for this year. I will predict that Iowa has a two year window to win one or two titles, and they should be favored both years (if their guys stay an extra year).

After that the window slams shut, and the bonus point machines in Bartlett, Van Ness, Starocci, Brooks, Kerkvliet, possibly Bouzakis, and others will roll over Iowa and everyone else in their path. 🌊

Many records will be broken.

Reactions: Ja1339
After watching Iowa wrestle Nebraska tonight here are my predictions. How do you see it?

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
157 - PS decision 12-6 (if Berge)
165 - Iowa decision. 12-9
174 - PS maj decision 16-9
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9

125 - Iowa fall. 6-0
133 - PSU decision 6-3
141. - Iowa decision. 9-3
149 - PSU decision. 9-6
157 - Iowa decision. 12-6
165 - Iowa decision. 15-6
174 - Iowa decision. 18-6
184 - PSU decision. 18-9
197 - Iowa decision. 21-9
HWT Iowa 24-9

A
125 - Iowa fall. 6-0
133 - PSU decision 6-3
149 - PSU decision. 9-6
184 - PSU decision. 18-9
HWT Iowa 24-9
Nick Lee wins

The bigger issue for Iowa is scholarships. Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer all seniors who will effect their ability to go after top recruits. Plus recruits already there or coming next year. We will see how they can juggle the scholarships next year.
Fortunately, PSU does not have that problem!

How long are Iowa's underclassmen willing to wait around before they get in the line-up.

125 IA pin 0-6
133 PSU md 4-6
141 PSU dec 7-6
149 IA dec 7-9
157 PSU dec 10-9
165 IA md 10-13
174 IA dec 10-16
184 PSU dec 13-16
197 PSU dec 16-16
285 PSU md 20-16

The bigger issue for Iowa is scholarships. Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer all seniors who will effect their ability to go after top recruits. Plus recruits already there or coming next year. We will see how they can juggle the scholarships next year.
Fortunately, PSU does not have that problem!
Probably not. NCAA waived this for fall sports.

"For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team's scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season."

I don't think they've waived this yet for winter/spring sports, but they've been remarkably consistent with applying fall virus policies to winter/spring sports, so we can expect they will. Does anyone really think Iowa won't accept the one-year cost increase?

Reactions: moug and jrod65
125 - Iowa fall. 6-0
133 - PSU decision 6-3
149 - PSU decision. 9-6
184 - PSU decision. 18-9
HWT Iowa 24-9

It’s more likely that Kerk scores 5 or 6 than Cass scores 3.

I’d also say it’s more likely that Kerkvliet scores 5 TDs than Cass scores 1 TD.

I thought most schools cut their athletic budgets. The NCAA can allow for additional scholarships but only the schools can decide to fund the increase. I don't expect many, if any, schools to start adding costs.
They'd need to find about $140k to keep all 6 of them on 50% ride as non-residents. If they can't find that for a strong national title contender, then the Inner Circle is all talk.

If I were Brands, I'd be looking into HWC making a sizeable donation to Iowa Wrestling to cover their scholarships for next year, since most/all 6 would be HWC next year anyway.

Gable won 15 titles as a coach...how many would it have been without the extra scholarships?

Iowa cut four sports in August. It could be a bigger obstacle than one would think to fund extra scholarships. I am so glad PSU has not had to go that route (yet at least).

Gable won 15 titles as a coach...how many would it have been without the extra scholarships?

Probably quite a few. Rarely did Iowa barely squeeze by. However, my guess is subjective. The fact that they had an illegal advantage is objective.

Reactions: Lovethissport
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT