ADVERTISEMENT

Very early Iowa vs Penn State predictions

Huh?

I know your butt hurt but this statement, as dumb as it is will not help you.

Put the phone down, go for a walk, play the baby, think of the lot lizards and take the rest of the night off.

Technical question: does it show up to anyone else on here that Dunk quoted Nova, or WildTurk? For some reason I see Dunk as quoting Nova, when it appears to me Turk made the original comment. Weird...

Reactions: danoftw
Spencer is really good at what he does. Kudos to him. This is my favorite Spencer Lee match so far during his college career.

Nothing against Spencer but damn that is an awesome video, love watching that, gives me chills every time. We talk about Cenzo and Bo’s historic pins, where does this one rank in OSU lore?

Technical question: does it show up to anyone else on here that Dunk quoted Nova, or WildTurk? For some reason I see Dunk as quoting Nova, when it appears to me Turk made the original comment. Weird...
The deep state has corrected the error it appears.

#eatitturk

• Haha
Reactions: backdrft76
El, you are so right. I thought that Coleman caught him on a fluke move.

A couple years later I took my son to an Oklahoma State camp being held in Cobleskill, NY. My son was in high school and being from Western PA, Coleman was his idol.

Smith had two camps going, a regular camp and an advanced camp. I was chatting with a guy as I watched the regular camp and we were talking about Coleman's fall. The guy told me if I would wait a minute, coach Smith was going to show that move from which Coleman set up the cradle. I was blown away that it was an actual move. What a great final.

My son loved the camp as when Coleman worked with the advanced group (mostly high school guys), in demonstrating moves, he would always grab my son as his demonstration dummy. I'm sure it was as they were close in weight and a District 7 thing.

The camp was run by N.C. State Pop's brother. He was trying to get more wrestling exposue to that area of NY.

Thanks El.

A couple years later I took my son to an Oklahoma State camp being held in Cobleskill, NY. My son was in high school and being from Western PA, Coleman was his idol.

Smith had two camps going, a regular camp and an advanced camp. I was chatting with a guy as I watched the regular camp and we were talking about Coleman's fall. The guy told me if I would wait a minute, coach Smith was going to show that move from which Coleman set up the cradle. I was blown away that it was an actual move. What a great final.

My son loved the camp as when Coleman worked with the advanced group (mostly high school guys), in demonstrating moves, he would always grab my son as his demonstration dummy. I'm sure it was as they were close in weight and a District 7 thing.

The camp was run by N.C. State Pop's brother. He was trying to get more wrestling exposue to that area of NY.

Thanks El.

Yep, very similar crackdown series/positioning that Bo stuck Gravina with

Spiking, I was there when Bo did that move and I have watched that clip at least 30 times (Gravina was so damn chippy). Loved it.

Now I see you are so correct that it is the same positioning. I just didn't recognize it as Coleman had Slaton in a sitting position while Bo was underneath Gravina but same mechanics.

Thanks for pointing that out. It goes to show that Bo could hit any move from any position.

Thanks El.
They actually drill that extensively too. There are some Ok St. practice videos on flo/youtube and it was their primary high crotch finish from what I could see. Smith was famous for his crackdown and this is just an extension of those principles with the the positioning and shifting of the hips. Perry was pretty good at it back in the day if I remember. My high school coach also taught it. I had a teammate with crazy long arms who used to hit it frequently. Really catches high schoolers off guard.

Slaton really asked for it by posting his hand and giving Scott unimpeded access to his head on the swim. People don't make that mistake as often anymore.

If anybody is curious, here's John Smith showing the move:

Last edited:
They actually drill that extensively too. There are some Ok St. practice videos on flo/youtube and it was their primary high crotch finish from what I could see. Smith was famous for his crackdown and this is just an extension of those principles with the the positioning and shifting of the hips. Perry was pretty good at it back in the day if I remember. My high school coach also taught it. I had a teammate with crazy long arms who used to hit it frequently. Really catches high schoolers off guard.

Slaton really asked for it by posting his hand and giving Scott unimpeded access to his head on the swim. People don't make that mistake as often anymore.

If anybody is curious, here's John Smith showing the move:

Js8793, thanks for finding that video and posting it. Sweet move Smith teaches.

That is why I love this Board, I've learned a lot and with these videos and Gifs.

Js8793, thanks for finding that video and posting it. Sweet move Smith teaches.

That is why I love this Board, I've learned a lot and with these videos and Gifs.
No problem! If anybody else likes spending free time watching wrestling technique being taught, there are hours worth of OSU coaching clinics on youtube. I really like watching that stuff because you can see each program's spin on the basics. As you watch these programs over the years, you start to notice go-to technique, so it's really cool to see it taught. Would love to see similar stuff from Iowa and PSU.

Here's a good playlist:

I wi
No problem! If anybody else likes spending free time watching wrestling technique being taught, there are hours worth of OSU coaching clinics on youtube. I really like watching that stuff because you can see each program's spin on the basics. As you watch these programs over the years, you start to notice go-to technique, so it's really cool to see it taught. Would love to see similar stuff from Iowa and PSU.

Here's a good playlist:

Thank you, I enjoyed watching. I only wish that I had paid that close attention to technique about 50 years ago, LOL.

Would love to see similar stuff from Iowa and PSU.
giphy.gif

I wi

Thank you, I enjoyed watching. I only wish that I had paid that close attention to technique about 50 years ago, LOL.
There’s nothing more frustrating to me than stumbling across a good tech video that would have completely unlocked a certain thing i used to do back in the glory days. Especially because I used to steal a lot of stuff from watching college matches but had to try to figure it out for myself but would often just barely miss an important concept.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
... As El-Jefe stated, no doubt the Olympic Trial finalists both being coached by the Brands was a big influence too.
Also, Terry had recently coached a lightweight Olympic gold medalist, Cejudo. None of Cael’s group of coaches had done that. Going to Iowa was the better choice, objectively.

Kaleb is a big boy taking one for the team. In my eyes, he looks every bit as big as Bull to me who isn't exactly a small 165. Eye test I know doesn't work sometimes but it's definitely obvious the cut isn't an easy one for him. He was also wrestling 165/174 before 2019.

I concur; he definitely looks like he could move up. He had a good match against Brayton Lee, and if he goes out and does that same against Carr I'll be convinced that the Young of two years ago is back. Hope so for our sake as your team will only get better as those freshmen gain mat time. :)

You think Starocci having no shot against MK is the "realistic", level-headed view??? And your opinions aren't tainted by big homer-googles like 30% of the BWI Board.... - got it, LMAO.

'My friend, I didn't say Starocci didn't have a shot; everyone has a shot. I merely said that I can't see him being able to beat Kem, despite how talented Starocci is. That said, I was very surprised to see Starocci lose against the kid from Indiana, but those early season losses, especially by a freshman really don't mean anything, other than perhaps a bit of a drop in B10 seedings. Spencer Lee had a few losses his freshman season and he turned out just fine, and I'm thinking the same will be true for Starocci..

Reactions: PSUbluTX and garw
I get your point but gonna disagree with the Zain assessment. Zain was not a "podium guy," he was a national champ in the making.

The room bump turned him from a future champ to an all-timer.

That's what I meant. When I said he was a podium guy, I only meant that he finished on the podium (3rd or 5th if I'm not mistaken). And after that year he was unstoppable. That room bump at PSU has been miles ahead of the competition since Cael arrived. If you read my posts from years past I was always pro-PSU and Cael style wrestling...get on the offense and stay on the offense, something we drastically lacked at Iowa. Back to your point though, my comments were meant as a compliment to your room and not in any way as an implication that Zane was your average AA wrestler coming into the program.

$83 towards respective slush fund says Kem wont beat Starocci by 3 or more.

My friend, I'm not sure what the significance of $83 is, but how about this:

If both wrestlers are healthy and neither are injured during the match, I will donate $50 to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club if Starocci wins or Kem wins by less than 3 points. And you will donate $50 to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club if Kem wins by 3 points or more. Do we have a deal?

I didn't like the way Kem looked against Minn; seemed to be favoring the injured knee/leg quite a bit. But regardless, he's ranked #1 and if he doesn't win by 3, I'll pay up as long as you're good on your end. :)

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
My friend, I'm not sure what the significance of $83 is, but how about this:

If both wrestlers are healthy and neither are injured during the match, I will donate $50 to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club if Starocci wins or Kem wins by less than 3 points. And you will donate $50 to the Hawkeye Wrestling Club if Kem wins by 3 points or more. Do we have a deal? DEAL

I didn't like the way Kem looked against Minn; seemed to be favoring the injured knee/leg quite a bit. But regardless, he's ranked #1 and if he doesn't win by 3, I'll pay up as long as you're good on your end. :)

Somehow I knew you’d chime in today after watching Starocci yesterday. Either way, yeah Im in.

Somehow I knew you’d chime in today after watching Starocci yesterday. Either way, yeah Im in.

I only chimed in today because I've had a week from hell at work, and sadly don't get on these wrestling sites other than on the weekend (you can look at my history; I haven't been on since the day prior to you posting your comments). if you'd like we can hold off on the bet until the week prior, or perhaps wait for a different bet at a different weight class. At least 6-7 of our weight classes seem like they are going to be toss ups by tournament time and perhaps even by the dual date. Your call my friend.

Nashville is one of the very best posters on any board I have read over the years. He is very fair minded and has been complimentary of Cael for years. If all Iowa fans behaved on these boards like he or Chief there wouldn't be very much smack to be found. I have not soured (in the least) on CStarr but Kem is a monster with a ton of experience. I think a pretty controlled Kem win this early in CStarr's career should surprise or disappoint nobody. I think Kem will be too much to handle this year and also think CStarr has four time AA and multi time champion written all over him. I see it like I see Brooks. I don't think Brooks of last year could have won 184 this year, but Brooks has jumped another level and it isn't hard to see.

Nashville is one of the very best posters on any board I have read over the years. He is very fair minded and has been complimentary of Cael for years. If all Iowa fans behaved on these boards like he or Chief there wouldn't be very much smack to be found. I have not soured (in the least) on CStarr but Kem is a monster with a ton of experience. I think a pretty controlled Kem win this early in CStarr's career should surprise or disappoint nobody. I think Kem will be too much to handle this year and also think CStarr has four time AA and multi time champion written all over him. I see it like I see Brooks. I don't think Brooks of last year could have won 184 this year, but Brooks has jumped another level and it isn't hard to see.
always appreciate your posts, j.p. . i'll disagree on brooks, though. he was coming on strong through the bts, and i fully believe he'd have won it all. just my ho.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Doubt there's anything that hasn't already been said in the annual recapitulation of the Spencer Lee situation way back in 2016. It's worth repeating that Spencer put a boatload of the reason he chose Iowa on his opinion that both TB's are excellent lightweight coaches. There's always other considerations; location, scholarship $'s, environment, past team success, friendships on the team, to name just a few.

Sure, Spencer spurned Penn State and went to Iowa. I get that PSU fans are disappointed by that. But everything else I see about him makes me like him and is happy to see him succeed. Wrestles hard and clean. Works hard. Keeps his nose clean. Not flashy. A leader. Incredibly talented. Humble. If you watch the end of that loss to Piccinnini, Piccinnini struts around like a peacock (not knocking him, it was a huge win at home and I get it- just pointing it out). By contrast, if you look at the end of the NCAA semi final rematch - a much bigger win- after Spencer wins he just stands up, removes his anklets and walks away. How can you not like that?

Sure, Spencer spurned Penn State and went to Iowa. I get that PSU fans are disappointed by that. But everything else I see about him makes me like him and is happy to see him succeed. Wrestles hard and clean. Works hard. Keeps his nose clean. Not flashy. A leader. Incredibly talented. Humble. If you watch the end of that loss to Piccinnini, Piccinnini struts around like a peacock (not knocking him, it was a huge win at home and I get it- just pointing it out). By contrast, if you look at the end of the NCAA semi final rematch - a much bigger win- after Spencer wins he just stands up, removes his anklets and walks away. How can you not like that?
I don't think I've seen anyone on this board ever seriously say they don't like Spencer. He is a great wrestler and seems like a good person. I don't like that he wrestles for Iowa. Im not sure why folks come here to defend someone that isn't being attacked. If he would've been wrongfully accused of something or portrayed in a negative way this board corrects itself quickly. If your looking for a constant shower of rose petals to be thrown at his feet go to HR for that.

That's the downside of being Spencer Lee. Every loss you take is probably going to be the biggest win of that person's life. And every win is expected.
Heck with the win.....most guys just want to survive the 1st 3 minutes with him.

Kid is a machine. When TnT smack him in the face, that switches something. it's just seek and destroy, until he hears a whistle. I love it.

Heck with the win.....most guys just want to survive the 1st 3 minutes with him.

Kid is a machine. When TnT smack him in the face, that switches something. it's just seek and destroy, until he hears a whistle. I love it.
hopefully when Lee wrestles howard it does not have the OVER THE TOP affect

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/cadaBxegUt8OI" width="480" height="343" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Concur WRT Brooks. He's my odds on to win it all unless he's lost something over the extended break. He closed out last year looking really really impressive. And thanks for the kind words; I try to keep it all about the talent and not about the personalities. :)

My only quibble: TnT smacking him in the face has got absolutely nothing to do with Spencer’s drive, passion and ferocity on the mat. The kid is incredibly gifted, hardworking, focused and talented. When he steps on the mat he’s a warrior. Those traits and that appetite for destroying his foes would be there with or without Brands’ superfluous, theatrical face slapping.

I don't think I've seen anyone on this board ever seriously say they don't like Spencer. He is a great wrestler and seems like a good person. I don't like that he wrestles for Iowa. Im not sure why folks come here to defend someone that isn't being attacked. If he would've been wrongfully accused of something or portrayed in a negative way this board corrects itself quickly. If your looking for a constant shower of rose petals to be thrown at his feet go to HR for that.
I’m with you. I don’t ever root for him. That’s not to say I don’t respect his greatness or dislike him.... I just have no interest in rooting for him at the college level. He made a choice to go to Iowa (and I do think it was based on being the guy in the resurgence... which is very commendable) but I will then respond in kind that I don’t pull for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT