ADVERTISEMENT

"Usually when you're in college football a long time, it's because you're not good enough to leave."

Purdue isn't supposed to be a top-tier program but, regardless, it doesn't make what he said untrue.
What difference does the program make when you’re talking about a specific player? And Purdue has developed QB’s better than PSU forever.

Agreed, but keep in mind that at the majority of big-time football schools, to include the entire SEC with the exception of Vanderbilt, they haven't been college students for a very long time.

Long before NIL and the portal, the players were there to win games...not attend classes. Even for those guys who got a degree, in most cases it was a joke or fraud.

The new regime simply takes the mask off and acknowledges the reality for what it became long ago. Actually that's not really a bad thing...the acknowledgement I mean...not the reality.
Yep. They are no more one of us. They are no more amateurs . Now they’re professionals and need to realize the school affiliation thing is gone.

Its not about whether he is right or not. Its a strange thing to say as Clifford is performing, its a comment id expect in the off-season. It seemed gratuitous in the middle of the opening game in a hostile environment. It also undermines our coaching staff indirectly. Oh, and btw, minus the interception, Clifford played quite well and engineered a pretty wonderful come from behind victory.
So? The game has changed . These are pros now, so why worry about niceties, especially from an announcer .
Yea he did engineer that drive, I’m glad. But as you said, right after a puck six. He’s a decent college Qb, nothing more.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
So? The game has changed . These are pros now, so why worry about niceties, especially from an announcer .
Yea he did engineer that drive, I’m glad. But as you said, right after a puck six. He’s a decent college Qb, nothing more.
We'll agree to disagree about the appropriateness of the comment by a national announcer in the middle of the first game of the season. One in which said QB won and performed well.

I seriously doubt that Allar is ready to lead this team to a 10 win season. He can learn the system, get some reps, adapt to the speed, and grow stronger this year. There's nothing wrong with that.

We'll agree to disagree about the appropriateness of the comment by a national announcer in the middle of the first game of the season. One in which said QB won and performed well.
He is what he is a decent college Qb. It’s like a AAA baseball all star, if you’re good they call you up.

Reactions: ram2020
Its not about whether he is right or not. Its a strange thing to say as Clifford is performing, its a comment id expect in the off-season. It seemed gratuitous in the middle of the opening game in a hostile environment. It also undermines our coaching staff indirectly. Oh, and btw, minus the interception, Clifford played quite well and engineered a pretty wonderful come from behind victory.
Not only that, Klatt talked to the Purdue QB as an NFL prospect WHO WAS ALSO A FIFTH YEAR SENIOR

Reactions: ram2020
I seriously doubt that Allar is ready to lead this team to a 10 win season. He can learn the system, get some reps, adapt to the speed, and grow stronger this year. There's nothing wrong with that.

Clifford threw some pretty passes early too and there were multiple drops:

1. KLS had 2 early, maybe a 3rd before settling in. The one of which he very well could have turned up the field for a TD based on how he turned on the jets on his TD reception.

2. Washington dropped the swing pass and he had 10 to 15 yards ahead of him before a defender gets close.

3. I want to say Warren dropped one Clifford pass before the Allar drop but I could be mistaken.

I will agree about Alllar that he has the look, footwork, and arm talent of a top QB. His passes were strong and on target. The drop in to Warren would have been a highlight reel throw. I have no clue if he's ready to lead us yet, and honestly none of us do. I will say this. If he's ready, he'll end up taking snaps before the season is over if Clifford plays to par.

Klatt exhausted all eligiblity, same as SC or Klatt would have stayed. Cliff was good enough to get us to 11-2. That is ceiling and not bad. I don't think Franklin is good enough to get us to next level. CJF is not obligated to start SC. Put blame where it belongs.
I'm not blaming anyone. Klatt's comment wasn't wrong.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
What difference does the program make when you’re talking about a specific player? And Purdue has developed QB’s better than PSU forever.
How doesn't it matter? Lower level programs (I hope you agree Purdue isn't on Penn State's level or shouldn't be) relying on runs when they have a bunch of 5th year players that are good. It's why Northwestern goes for good to garbage and back all the time. Penn State should be reloading every year and sometimes that means with guys better than the ones that just left for the draft. See Georgia yesterday.

There isn't anything wrong with that--assuming the kid stays which isn't a given these days

So, Klatt is a BSer that contradicted himself. I started watching football with the sound off @ 40 years ago when they kept adding bozo story tellers to interfere with my watching football. By in large they are a unnecessary negative asset to understanding the game I love to watch. Unnecessary baggage. No more. No less.

Last edited:
We all knew SC was not NFL material from Day one. He does not have arm strength or accuracy. Few QBs in NCAA do. Even ones with great size , look and numbers end up failing shortly after career starts, see Darnold. This is not barometer of whether a QB should stay. Ass-h4t Klatt stayed all 4 year at CU, undrafted and did not make it out of one mini camp before done in NFL. I guess he should have quit before Sr year, right? It was ahole comment.
I didn't, and I still don't.

Schools don't develop positions, coaches do. We used to have to best linebacker coach and hence we used to have the best linebackers.

How doesn't it matter? Lower level programs (I hope you agree Purdue isn't on Penn State's level or shouldn't be) relying on runs when they have a bunch of 5th year players that are good. It's why Northwestern goes for good to garbage and back all the time. Penn State should be reloading every year and sometimes that means with guys better than the ones that just left for the draft. See Georgia yesterday.
Outside of three teams, no program lives up to your expectations….and PSU hasn’t been one of those programs since the 80’s.

Which is due to coaching nothing else--we have the talent
Then that could be said about many other teams and the ones that can’t say it it’s because their coaches aren’t good enough to recruit that kind of talent. When only three teams can live up to expectations, it’s about more than just coaching.

Who is "they"?
The players, they're pros now. they can change teams as they please and now earn money off their likeness. It's going to change the whole scheme of things for many like myself. I'm not saying all fans, but it's not the same game.

The players, they're pros now. they can change teams as they please and now earn money off their likeness. It's going to change the whole scheme of things for many like myself. I'm not saying all fans, but it's not the same game.
I agree 100%. But who could blame a kid that's not NFL talent for hanging around for an extra year to play the game he loves while earning $100k from NIL?

I agree 100%. But who could blame a kid that's not NFL talent for hanging around for an extra year to play the game he loves while earning $100k from NIL?
100% agree, but for me as the alumnus fan I lost something. We’re the only ones showing loyalty and it’s obvious how much they care about us. Now it’s just entertainment , like Bob Seger or a movie.

100% agree, but for me as the alumnus fan I lost something. We’re the only ones showing loyalty and it’s obvious how much they care about us. Now it’s just entertainment , like Bob Seger or a movie.
The team showed us some Night Moves on Thursday

Some of the thoughts in this thread are just crazy, I've even read a couple of "this is a rebuilding" year. Really? The 247 Composite Roster Talent ratings say differently. PSU has a rock solid roster rating over 90 which 95% of CF would only dream of having.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

And I travel around the different B1G boards - including OSU's Eleven Warriors - and one of their recent polls was "which team on the schedule has the best chance of beating the Buckeyes." Yep, by a landslide - PSU in Happy Valley. Point - this is not a rebuilding year

Now to the Clifford issue. PSU should really thank the stars that Cliff returned. Is he the most gifted QB around? Of course not but he's a really solid COLLEGE QB. Look at the Alabama and OSU QBs in the last decade. Saban and Alabama have completely dominated CF and the prime CF position is QB which drives the engine. The Alabama QBs are OK - decent in the NFL but come nowhere close to what they were at Alabama. Same with OSU. They're QBs have sucked in the NFL but sure are effective in the COLLEGE game. Remember JT Barrett? His situation reminds me - somewhat - of Clifford. You knew he wasn't going to make it in the NFL but sure did well in COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Klatt was wrong for throwing shade at Clifford. Allar looks to be a really physically gifted QB but his time isn't now - it's next year. Give the kid time to develop - especially between the ears with the college game. Oh, and if any of you run into Cliff this year, thank him for returning

Reactions: MrDibbs and SR108
Do the fans show loyalty or do we only appreciate the players while they're here and if they stay? See the comments about Redd and others when they left. Loyalty isn't about rooting for someone (or even a team) because they do exactly what you think they should do.

Nothing has changed. The kids that want to be here still were blue and white while representing our school. College football has always been a "big business" and it's odd that so many "fans" don't want the players to benefit from that.

Some of the thoughts in this thread are just crazy, I've even read a couple of "this is a rebuilding" year. Really? The 247 Composite Roster Talent ratings say differently. PSU has a rock solid roster rating over 90 which 95% of CF would only dream of having.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

And I travel around the different B1G boards - including OSU's Eleven Warriors - and one of their recent polls was "which team on the schedule has the best chance of beating the Buckeyes." Yep, by a landslide - PSU in Happy Valley. Point - this is not a rebuilding year

Now to the Clifford issue. PSU should really thank the stars that Cliff returned. Is he the most gifted QB around? Of course not but he's a really solid COLLEGE QB. Look at the Alabama and OSU QBs in the last decade. Saban and Alabama have completely dominated CF and the prime CF position is QB which drives the engine. The Alabama QBs are OK - decent in the NFL but come nowhere close to what they were at Alabama. Same with OSU. They're QBs have sucked in the NFL but sure are effective in the COLLEGE game. Remember JT Barrett? His situation reminds me - somewhat - of Clifford. You knew he wasn't going to make it in the NFL but sure did well in COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Klatt was wrong for throwing shade at Clifford. Allar looks to be a really physically gifted QB but his time isn't now - it's next year. Give the kid time to develop - especially between the ears with the college game. Oh, and if any of you run into Cliff this year, thank him for returning
OSU and ‘bama always have great offensive lines, great running backs, and great receivers that make any QB look good. Their talent level is high enough they dominate most of the teams they play.

When these kids get to the NFL they are in a system dedicated to keeping teams to a nearly equal level. Draft system, payroll caps, much smaller number of players on a team.

Reactions: SR108
Do the fans show loyalty or do we only appreciate the players while they're here and if they stay? See the comments about Redd and others when they left. Loyalty isn't about rooting for someone (or even a team) because they do exactly what you think they should do.

Nothing has changed. The kids that want to be here still were blue and white while representing our school. College football has always been a "big business" and it's odd that so many "fans" don't want the players to benefit from that.
Well, I don't have to like it and I don't have to be a consumer of the product.

You are correct. You don't have to be but don't claim you're loyal then...
Where did I say I'm loyal? I'm saying as a fan we do not get the loyalty they want from us. I've believed most sports to be a scam in that way for some time now. Players can leave, coaches can leave, and teams can move. But they count on fans staying loyal because that's their revenue stream.
I went from loyal to wanting to see a good product. I watch on tv and when the game is over I go do something or watch something else.

Where did I say I'm loyal? I'm saying as a fan we do not get the loyalty they want from us. I've believed most sports to be a scam in that way for some time now. Players can leave, coaches can leave, and teams can move. But they count on fans staying loyal because that's their revenue stream.
I went from loyal to wanting to see a good product. I watch on tv and when the game is over I go do something or watch something else.
You said "We’re the only ones showing loyalty"--if you're now saying you aren't loyal then we're not on different pages but you were falsely claiming that somehow "we" (which includes you) were loyal.

Sports, to me, is now simply "entertainment". watching a game is akin to watching a good netflix movie or HBO Max series. I still like sports, but am no longer invested in most teams.

PSU is still the only major exception, for whatever reason, but that has waned. Pirates, Steelers, Browns, Cavaliers are all the same. I still do like, for whatever reason, the Guardians but not sure why. Perhaps it is just summertime and I want to enjoy a ball game while I wax my car.

You said "We’re the only ones showing loyalty"--if you're now saying you aren't loyal then we're not on different pages but you were falsely claiming that somehow "we" (which includes you) were loyal.
I meant as fans, since I'm a PSU alum and fan I used a general term. Fans are the only ones showing loyalty. Not necessarily all fans are as loyal as other fans but fans are more loyal to the program than any other group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT