ADVERTISEMENT

"Usually when you're in college football a long time, it's because you're not good enough to leave."

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
This was stated by Klatt during the broadcast Thursday night. I thought this was in really, REALLY bad taste. I am not the world's biggest fan of SC but one has to review his injury status to understand his career. At the same time, the opposing QB who is hailed as an NFL prospect is also a fifth-year senior.

I am not sure why Klatt decided to say these things. SC played a very good first half if not for several drops. After the cramps he played poorly in the third quarter until he got his feet under him and play the 4th pretty well. In the end, his QB rating was far better than Purdue's.

If the NFL didn't want the Purdue QB after last season (2nd team all conference, 72% completion percentage, led the Boilers to 9 wins), it doesn't sound like they ever are. Last years QB class was perceived as weak. Still wasn't considered.

I don't mind the comment because it's exactly the same sentiment 8 out of 10 here shared, but on live TV with no counterpoint it comes across as ill willed.

This was stated by Klatt during the broadcast Thursday night. I thought this was in really, REALLY bad taste. I am not the world's biggest fan of SC but one has to review his injury status to understand his career. At the same time, the opposing QB who is hailed as an NFL prospect is also a fifth-year senior.

I am not sure why Klatt decided to say these things. SC played a very good first half if not for several drops. After the cramps he played poorly in the third quarter until he got his feet under him and play the 4th pretty well. In the end, his QB rating was far better than Purdue's.

Especially since there is new precedent because of COVID. Staying worked well for Kenny Pickett.
O'Connell is in the same discussion.

If the NFL didn't want the Purdue QB after last season (2nd team all conference, 72% completion percentage, led the Boilers to 9 wins), it doesn't sound like they ever are. Last years QB class was perceived as weak. Still wasn't considered.

I don't mind the comment because it's exactly the same sentiment 8 out of 10 here shared, but on live TV with no counterpoint it comes across as ill willed.
LOL.....8 out of 10 here are brain dead. I would like to think he regrets that comment. Perhaps he should be reminded that everyone isn't NFL material. Even some Heisman Winners.

No serious person thinks announcers are actually trying to be accurate in their appraisals and assessments.

They are simply trying to keep the viewer interested.

We all know Clifford is not great, but not bad.

No serious person thinks announcers are actually trying to be accurate in their appraisals and assessments.

They are simply trying to keep the viewer interested.

We all know Clifford is not great, but not bad.
I endorse the first 2 points whole heartedly. Why does anyone care what these talking heads say?
I turn down the sound and watch the game.
I believe when healthy Cliff is much better than he is given credit for by most "experts" here.

nobody cares what posters here think, including what I think. We are all just yelling at clouds, TBH. But like it or not, Klatt has clout. What he says matters. Typically, announcers aren't that mean when discussing college players. I just thought it was pretty bad taste.

nobody cares what posters here think, including what I think. We are all just yelling at clouds, TBH. But like it or not, Klatt has clout. What he says matters. Typically, announcers aren't that mean when discussing college players. I just thought it was pretty bad taste.
Agree about the bad taste. But confused what kind of clout you are talking about.

Also confused what he said that was incorrect? Clifford didn’t have some high NFL grade and choose to come back. He’s probably an UDFA…

It was a sort of shocking comment generally, but would have been more appropriate in the off-season, not in the first game as Clifford is performing. I'm not sure I totally understand it either, "not good enough to leave?" Meaning for the NFL? Well that describes 98% of QBs in D1. Not good enough to graduate? I get the sentiment, Clifford isn't good enough for NFL, so he is sort of hanging around. We all already know that, otherwise he'd be in the NFL, but the team, with freshman QBs behind him thought Clifford in his 6th year is better than the alternative, and I happen to agree for 1 more year.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
the problem I have with it is that it isn't exactly accurate

I mean it isn't like there have been fantastic collegiate quarterbacks that never made it in the NFL and weren't even highly rated going into the draft

not saying that Clifford is going to win the heisman but holy cow Jason White threw for 75 touchdown passes in his final two years and won a heisman and wasn't selected in the draft at all

Especially since there is new precedent because of COVID. Staying worked well for Kenny Pickett.
O'Connell is in the same discussion.
"Usually" is a correct description....and whether klatt should have said it, it is a true statement. There are not many fifth (or 6th) year players who were sure-fire draft picks.
Russell Wilson wasn't an NFL QB at NCST. Pickett wasn't highly regarded until last year. Clifford had no football options other than PSU after last year.

I was really struck by that comment when Klatt made it during the telecast. I almost couldn't believe my ears, given its harshness.

Then again, Klatt was not alone at that point. The tenor of things had taken a pretty nasty turn. Guys like DaQuan Jones were tweeting calls for Clifford to be "gone." The game thread here was reflective of the general sentiment.

After the frustrations of the last couple years, people were no longer inclined to cut Sean any slack. And not just Sean. Then came the final drive. Funny how one drive...and one game...can quickly change the vibe. But a lot of challenges lie ahead.

Allar showed enough poise in those few snaps to warrant more playing time. The benefit that Allar will receive playing not only against substantially weaker opponents such as Ohio University is not enough. Franklin should continue to play him not only when SC is on the sideline shaking off a light injury but provide enough snaps to get him experience not only for experience sake but for identifying weaknesses in Allar's game that can be addressed with the coaches after the game. Far better that work is tackled this year rather than next for Allar's and the team's benefit. IMO there is little need for SC to play a significant portion of the Ohio U or Central Michigan games.

"Usually" is a correct description....and whether klatt should have said it, it is a true statement. There are not many fifth (or 6th) year players who were sure-fire draft picks.
Russell Wilson wasn't an NFL QB at NCST. Pickett wasn't highly regarded until last year. Clifford had no football options other than PSU after last year.
I don't think that is true. Most college QBs don't go on to play pro ball. Some do and don't have much of a career (Hack, McSorely). The Purdue QB is being considered a pro prospect and he ALSO is a fifth year senior. And SC outplayed him according to QB rating.

Allar showed enough poise in those few snaps to warrant more playing time. The benefit that Allar will receive playing not only against substantially weaker opponents such as Ohio University is not enough. Franklin should continue to play him not only when SC is on the sideline shaking off a light injury but provide enough snaps to get him experience not only for experience sake but for identifying weaknesses in Allar's game that can be addressed with the coaches after the game. Far better that work is tackled this year rather than next for Allar's and the team's benefit. IMO there is little need for SC to play a significant portion of the Ohio U or Central Michigan games.
CJF made a post game comment about playing younger players to build depth, which he felt cost us last year. I have to believe he was talking about QB, as well, given Iowa and Illinois. I am hopeful last year's lack of depth was a learning experience.

The comment was "editorial" in nature and I agree that Klatt's job is not to declare personal thoughts that are "editorial" in nature, and extremely negative of a college athlete.

I have no problem with CJF starting Cliff - he obviously believes that it gives us the best chance of winning and that is the only thing that matters in that regard. Cliff is a very good College QB - there is no doubt about that. His ability to pressure defenses with both his arm and legs is very challenging for DCs. The most frustrating thing with Cliff, and his greatest weakness in terms of making it to the NFL, is his accuracy which really hasn't improved over the years. Cliff, like many good college QBs, is somewhat "streaky" - he gets hot and plays well for long periods of time, but then suddenly goes cold and can't hit the broadside of a barn. Against Purdue, his inconsistent accuracy was on full display - and not just the INT throw, he had multiple throws, especially on slants and crossing patterns where he threw well behind the intended receiver.

If you compare AO'C, he threw almost no inaccurate passes - virtually every ball he threw was catchable and he forced PSU d-backs to make plays and break passes up. I can't remember AO'C just missing covered or wide-open receivers with really inaccurate throws. Cliff executed on the last drive when maximum pressure was on (we had to have that drive) which is what matters most, but he did not have a great game accuracy-wise imho -- he was very inconsistent in that regard.

I personally am not a fan of Sean and would give it all to Allar now as this is a rebuilding year. But we need to recognize that the last time Sean was somewhat consistent was 2019 when we had running game. We have had no running game since and very few qbs will be consistent without the comfort of at least an average running. It is putrid and makes us one dimensional.

Reactions: creamery freak
I personally am not a fan of Sean and would give it all to Allar now as this is a rebuilding year. But we need to recognize that the last time Sean was somewhat consistent was 2019 when we had running game. We have had no running game since and very few qbs will be consistent without the comfort of at least an average running. It is putrid and makes us one dimensional.

Fair points.

I think starting Clifford is the right move in the current situation. Clearly he wouldn't have come back if Franklin hadn't given him assurances that he would be the presumptive starter.

Ideally, give Allar a year of preparation. Definitely get him some snaps but don't throw him into the pool against the Michigans and Ohio States of the world and hope he swims.

I'm honestly conflicted about Sean. There's no substitute for experience, and obviously he has that in spades. In fact, he's had some excellent moments over the years, and that final drive was one of them. The injury at Iowa changed everything last season and will always rank as one of the bigger "what-ifs" in the program's history.

The problem is, he's also been inconsistent and erratic at times, and that was on display Thursday night as well. The terrible pick-6 almost cost us the game, triggering Klatt and others to bail on the guy.

Another thing that might have been brought up if we'd ended losing was the involvement in the players' union thing this summer. The question is not the union itself, which can be debated. Rather, it's whether you want your 6th-year starting QB focused on that or on playing football.

All this said, I think it would take something pretty dramatic (in a bad way) for Franklin to rethink the decision on his starter. I think Sean should and will continue to start.

I really was a nonsensical thing to say and shouldn't have been said. With that, Clifford isn't an NFL QB. Very few QBs of that mold (pass first dual threat) last more than a few years and very rarely start. Donovan McNabb is really the only one that had a protracted career as a starter and was widely considered to be a top five player at his position and he was a major step up in both arm talent and mobility than almost everyone. Clifford projects more like a Colt McCoy who has managed to hang for a long career as a backup. That is probably absolute best case.

Fair points.

I think starting Clifford is the right move in the current situation. Clearly he wouldn't have come back if Franklin hadn't given him assurances that he would be the presumptive starter.

Ideally, give Allar a year of preparation. Definitely get him some snaps but don't throw him into the pool against the Michigans and Ohio States of the world and hope he swims.

I'm honestly conflicted about Sean. There's no substitute for experience, and obviously he has that in spades. In fact, he's had some excellent moments over the years, and that final drive was one of them. The injury at Iowa changed everything last season and will always rank as one of the bigger "what-ifs" in the program's history.

The problem is, he's also been inconsistent and erratic at times, and that was on display Thursday night as well. The terrible pick-6 almost cost us the game, triggering Klatt and others to bail on the guy.

Another thing that might have been brought up if we'd ended losing was the involvement in the players' union thing this summer. The question is not the union itself, which can be debated. Rather, it's whether you want your 6th-year starting QB focused on that or on playing football.

All this said, I think it would take something pretty dramatic (in a bad way) for Franklin to rethink the decision on his starter. I think Sean should and will continue to start.
My thoughts on Sean is he's a better than average college qb that plays below average in many games. I think this is what makes it frustrating for fans.

Sean is like the dependable Chevy in the driveway that you're comfortable driving but it has it's breakdowns every now and then. Allar is the new Mercedes in the garage that you leased and are tentative to drive but you're only going to have 3 years. I think you better get that Mercedes out and put a few miles on it this year or your a fool.

Nothing said was incorrect--people just want to be offended.

We all knew SC was not NFL material from Day one. He does not have arm strength or accuracy. Few QBs in NCAA do. Even ones with great size , look and numbers end up failing shortly after career starts, see Darnold. This is not barometer of whether a QB should stay. Ass-h4t Klatt stayed all 4 year at CU, undrafted and did not make it out of one mini camp before done in NFL. I guess he should have quit before Sr year, right? It was ahole comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
Bad move, IMO. Can’t call it a rebuilding year after the last two disasters. Have another bad year and it will affect recruiting. And some more kids would portal out. Three bad years in a row could start a bad spiral. Gotta get to at least eight wins, nine is far better.

Last edited:

Ask Klatt about Kenny Pickett.

Reactions: Obliviax
the problem I have with it is that it isn't exactly accurate

I mean it isn't like there have been fantastic collegiate quarterbacks that never made it in the NFL and weren't even highly rated going into the draft

not saying that Clifford is going to win the heisman but holy cow Jason White threw for 75 touchdown passes in his final two years and won a heisman and wasn't selected in the draft at all
Trace is another example as well.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
I don't think that is true. Most college QBs don't go on to play pro ball. Some do and don't have much of a career (Hack, McSorely). The Purdue QB is being considered a pro prospect and he ALSO is a fifth year senior. And SC outplayed him according to QB rating.
Sorry. What did I write that isn't true?

We all knew SC was not NFL material from Day one. He does not have arm strength or accuracy. Few QBs in NCAA do. Even ones with great size , look and numbers end up failing shortly after career starts, see Darnold. This is not barometer of whether a QB should stay. Ass-h4t Klatt stayed all 4 year at CU, undrafted and did not make it out of one mini camp before done in NFL. I guess he should have quit before Sr year, right? It was ahole comment.
Klatt didn't stick around for 6 years. I don't understand why we're angry about something we all know is true. Sean seems like a great guy and he's been a solid QB for us but he's not going to take us to the level that we need to be at.

Here's what matters IMO--his statement was factual--he also gave Cliff credit when he deserved it. Not everyone is out to get us.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Irrespective of what Klatt meant, Clifford was good enough for CJF to want him to stay. Without knowing if it was intended as a slight or not, I'm thinking maybe it was just an excited utterance by Klatt without any forethought.

Last edited:

Only 2% of college football players go to the NFL. Obviously much higher at top 25 schools but the point remains. Playing college sports is the opportunity of a lifetime. At a big school like PSU the perks are wonderful. What's wrong with a kid who wants it to last as long as possible?

He’s right . It means you’ve reached a ceiling .

With the transfer portal and nil they better grasp quickly they are not college students anymore but professionals .

Klatt didn't stick around for 6 years. I don't understand why we're angry about something we all know is true. Sean seems like a great guy and he's been a solid QB for us but he's not going to take us to the level that we need to be at.

Here's what matters IMO--his statement was factual--he also gave Cliff credit when he deserved it. Not everyone is out to get us

Here's what matters IMO--his statement was factual--he also gave Cliff credit when he deserved it. Not everyone is out to get us.
Klatt exhausted all eligiblity, same as SC or Klatt would have stayed. Cliff was good enough to get us to 11-2. That is ceiling and not bad. I don't think Franklin is good enough to get us to next level. CJF is not obligated to start SC. Put blame where it belongs.

He’s right . It means you’ve reached a ceiling .
Its not about whether he is right or not. Its a strange thing to say as Clifford is performing, its a comment id expect in the off-season. It seemed gratuitous in the middle of the opening game in a hostile environment. It also undermines our coaching staff indirectly. Oh, and btw, minus the interception, Clifford played quite well and engineered a pretty wonderful come from behind victory.

With the transfer portal and nil they better grasp quickly they are not college students anymore but professionals .

Agreed, but keep in mind that at the majority of big-time football schools, to include the entire SEC with the exception of Vanderbilt, they haven't been college students for a very long time.

Long before NIL and the portal, the players were there to win games...not attend classes. Even for those guys who got a degree, in most cases it was a joke or fraud.

The new regime simply takes the mask off and acknowledges the reality for what it became long ago. Actually that's not really a bad thing...the acknowledgement I mean...not the reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT