ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal is growing

It appears that Goodale doesn't have a long term vision for that program, or doesn't do a good job of getting kids and their parents to buy into it.
From the chatter online, it seems that Aragona was not interested in redshirting.

It's entirely possible that this was agreed to during recruitment (if he won the spot) and if so, I can't really blame Goodale. It's not like he's got a situation like Cael does. Additionally, the RS - while a collaborative decision - requires both parties to be happy or it really doesn't work.

It appears that Goodale doesn't have a long term vision for that program, or doesn't do a good job of getting kids and their parents to buy into it.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure it's both.

A guy who goes 1-2 at NCAAs is replaced by a younger wrestler with a much higher ceiling?

If you think this guy got the shaft, I can't imagine what you think of a lot of the decisions Cael and Co. have made over the years.

My understanding is that the wrestleoff between Lipari and Aragona was a one point affair. I'm assuming that wasn't an anomaly. In that case, it didn't make any sense to burn Aragona's shirt in the first competition date.

You have Paetzell doing a pretty good job at 125 for Lehigh and Mackall starting for Iowa State at 125 and a big gaping hole for Rutgers at 125 last year and this year. Does anyone really think Goodale knows what he's doing?

You have Paetzell doing a pretty good job at 125 for Lehigh and Mackall starting for Iowa State at 125 and a big gaping hole for Rutgers at 125 last year and this year. Does anyone really think Goodale knows what he's doing?
That might not be the best example .

If he planned on Suriano going 133 but did not backfill, then yes.

But if he and Suriano agreed on career125, then who can blame a quality starter type for leaving? Or quality recruits for going elsewhere?

We're still trying to fill that weight.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure it's both.

My understanding is that the wrestleoff between Lipari and Aragona was a one point affair. I'm assuming that wasn't an anomaly. In that case, it didn't make any sense to burn Aragona's shirt in the first competition date.

I don't know. I don't make a habit of second guessing coaching decisions based on very limited information. Maybe you and others have a lot more specific knowledge of the Lipari-Aragona situation than I do.

When a guy gets beaten out for a spot by a freshman that everyone seems to think is much more talented, I don't understand why people think he's getting screwed over. We've seen the same situation happen on many other teams, including PSU.

I'm not sure if a couple above average guys transferring is evidence that he "doesn't know what he's doing."

If part of the reason that Aragona came to Rutgers was for the possibility of wrestling right away if that's what he wanted, it's probably in Goodale's best interest to let him. Although I do agree getting the last year out of Lipari might've been better in the long run, I'm not sure losing 1 year of a guy who scraped out a single 2-point win over someone with an 8-12 record at NCAA's is really a huge loss.

I understand Lipari wanting a shot to start elsewhere, but I'm sure he would've gotten another shot at the spot for Rutgers (and maybe still might).

That might not be the best example .

If he planned on Suriano going 133 but did not backfill, then yes.

But if he and Suriano agreed on career125, then who can blame a quality starter type for leaving? Or quality recruits for going elsewhere?

We're still trying to fill that weight.

You don't think you would want to have a discussion about future weight class plans when you have Mackall on the roster with 4 years of eligibility remaining and Paetzell also on roster at 125? Or was Goodale so happy to get Suriano he really didn't care as long as it made a splash?

You don't think you would want to have a discussion about future weight class plans when you have Mackall on the roster with 4 years of eligibility remaining and Paetzell also on roster at 125? Or was Goodale so happy to get Suriano he really didn't care as long as it made a splash?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, your stick re Rutgers got old a LONG time ago. Let it go already. :rolleyes:

You're assuming that discussion didn't happen.

I don't know if it did or didn't, or what the resulting agreement was.

However, if it did happen and then Suriano did something different -- that would be the second NCAA D1 head coach he did that to.

Reactions: matter7172
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, your stick re Rutgers got old a LONG time ago. Let it go already. :rolleyes:

Backatcha! Your comment is not germane to the discussion. Maybe I don't like all of your posts, but commenting on them like you just did is pointless.

Once a wrestler has entered the portal, can he immediately announce his new school or is there some sort of waiting period?

Once a wrestler has entered the portal, can he immediately announce his new school or is there some sort of waiting period?

To be honest this might even raise suspicions of tampering.

The intent of the portal is to announce to possible suitors the wrestler is back on the market and open to being recruited. If you are thinking Busiello and the assumption he only had PSU on his mind (I don't think we can assume that) in theory yes he could announce his intent immediately, but that wouldn't be the smartest thing to do before he had had a chance to try to negotiate scholarship terms. While he was pledged to ASU, PSU could not 'initiate' talks with him. I suspect if Cael got a call from a kid under scholy elsewhere he would probably either not talk to him or at the most make a generic statement about our interest (thumbs up or down) and then instruct the kid that he could not expand the conversation until after he entered the portal.

I would think a visit and a few weeks would be a pretty quick 'minimum' turn around for most kids. I think we can expect something from Adam with the next week or two.

Reactions: Junglekitty

For one Paetzell wrestled 133 last year despite Lehigh being weak at 125, so it seems his “weight class plans” may have changed as well.

And I’m pretty sure they’d rather have Suriano than Mackall + Paetzell. It’s kinda like the Eierman situation honestly, Suriano basically fell in their lap, it’s not like they purposely recruited over Mackall/Paetzell, but if you have the chance to get a title contender, you do it

Those kids weren't in the Penn State room, so Goodale probably never ran into them while he was out and about recruiting.

Backatcha! Your comment is not germane to the discussion. Maybe I don't like all of your posts, but commenting on them like you just did is pointless.

What discussion? It's just you ragging on Rutgers as always, NONE of which is germane. Done with this now.

I used to hate that my son would whistle all the time. Then I learned to hear the whistling as his saying “I’m alive”.

Similarly, we may just want to accept that Matter hates Rutgers and be happy to have Matter with us. People hounded Spyker at the end, and now we miss his ALL CAPS.

It’s fun that people have idiosyncrasies. Flying Tiger says “would of”. Roar is super polite and wise. Tikk knows stuff and can explain it well. Chicken man knows World Wars. Jefe is the quickest wit. And Matter hates Rutgers.

:)

Last edited:
I used to hate that my son would whistle all the time. Then I learned to hear the whistling as his saying “I’m alive”.

Similarly, we may just want to accept that Matter hates Rutgers and be happy to have Matter with us. People hounded Spyker at the end, and now we miss his ALL CAPS.

It’s fun that people have idiosyncrasies. Flying Tiger says “would of”. Roar is super polite and wise. Tikk knows stuff and can explain it well. Chicken man knows World Wars. Jefe is the quickest wit. And Matter hates Rutgers.

And almost all of use hate Iowa!

Entering the portal allows other schools to contact the wrestler. If he announces "immediately", that's a sure sign that something underhanded has happened.

Reactions: Junglekitty

So you're saying we should be grateful for Aruba tweets, as a sign that Tan Tom us OK?

If I didn't live in NJ, things might be different. But the gap between hype and reality is so great with Rutgers, it's tough to take. For the record, I hated Rex Ryan and his hyperbole also. Guaranteeing bringing home the Super Bowl trophy and guaranteeing bringing home a team trophy from a Pittsburgh were about the same thing - and, of course, neither happened. BOOM!

From the beginning of the 2010's until the end of the 2015-16 year, I respected the Rutgers program. But then the hype machine got way ahead of the product and Goodale became the "BOOM" guy, a la Rex Ryan.

Last edited:

Hates is a pretty strong word. I'd say he enjoys throwing some serious shade :)

This kum-bi-yah shit has gone too far on here.

Not much of news as far as the transfer portal but Devin Winston just entered the portal. Don’t think he will look at PSU but more interestingly does anyone know kerks weight. Any chance that if gable is cleared they could put kerk at 197 and gable at 285

Not much of news as far as the transfer portal but Devin Winston just entered the portal. Don’t think he will look at PSU but more interestingly does anyone know kerks weight. Any chance that if gable is cleared they could put kerk at 197 and gable at 285
That's not happening. From the Flo article when he hit the portal:
Back in September of this year, Kerkvliet told Steelwood Radio that he weighed about 235 pounds but wanted to get up to 250 pounds.

He could've stayed with OKST if he wanted to cut that much.

Suriano leaving Rutgers? Check out their forum. The kid can't have fun anywhere I guess

Rumor has it Nick wants to find a wrestling room that has mirror's on all 4 walls and the ceiling. A place where he can train alone. He says he has never seen a mirror he didnt like. They make him feel happy:cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT