ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal is growing

Something strange with Kerk. Verbal to Minnesota, then to Ok St., signs with tOSU and 2 1/2 months into freshman year is transferring.
He's a kid, but yeah, it's a lot of decision changes.

Something strange with Kerk. Verbal to Minnesota, then to Ok St., signs with tOSU and 2 1/2 months into freshman year is transferring.
I’d say a mixture of things out of his hands and also doing what is best for him. Minny brought in gable while kerk was looking more and more like a heavy.Ok state may have been a rushed decision with I believe his reasoning being not enough post grad support. Then bringing us to last summers decision where Snyder was apparently the deciding factor... and now well, I think we know how this goes

True but if you look at it this way, Minnesota has Steveson, no reason to go there. Okie State has a very boring style of wrestling and limited RTC. He went to Ohio State because of Snyder who then moved on to the NLWC, one reason cited, lack of training partners. Kerk has the same problem and the same goals. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
A
Kerkvliet was just in Budapest for U23 .... just like Bo, Casey & Cael.

And vague rumor that Bo donated part of his U23 title winnings to the Slush Fund. :rolleyes:
Another vague rumor, Snyder is dedicating a portion of his compensation to the slush fund too. Reserved for Kerk in 4 to 5 years.

Reactions: diggerpup
Maybe I’m uneducated on the matter seeing as no details were given to the public, but who is to say that he follows Snyder and Snyder doesn’t leave after the Olympics.
I would not rule out Minnesota until Gables suspension is lifted.
Should he come to Penn State then an issue with Snacks should not be a problem. There’s nothing wrong with competition, you aren’t handed a spot in the starting lineup, that’s earned

Reactions: Str8DBLz and Ski
I’d put the probability of him coming to PSU somewhere between 0% and something slightly above.
We have our heavy for 2020, Cassar. We have our heavy for 2021-2024, Snacks. Snacks has bought into the system, and he showed that by grayshirting, and then again by not entering the portal when Cassar was granted two additional years. He’s solid, and a Cael guy.

I’d put the probability of him coming to PSU somewhere between 0% and something slightly above.
We have our heavy for 2020, Cassar. We have our heavy for 2021-2024, Snacks. Snacks has bought into the system, and he showed that by grayshirting, and then again by not entering the portal when Cassar was granted two additional years. He’s solid, and a Cael guy.
Then why did Cael recruit Kerk earlier, with Snacks already grayshirting? And host Ferrari on an official visit just a few weeks ago?

And Casaar is likely a non-factor. Kerk would shirt this year and while Cassar could return next year, he doesn't seem likely to exercise that option.

If something changed with Steveson and Kerk wants to be home, that's different. But from the PSU end of things, nothing changed from the previous pursuit.

Then why did Cael recruit Kerk earlier, with Snacks already grayshirting? And host Ferrari on an official visit just a few weeks ago?

And Casaar is likely a non-factor. Kerk would shirt this year and while Cassar could return next year, he doesn't seem likely to exercise that option.

If something changed with Steveson and Kerk wants to be home, that's different. But from the PSU end of things, nothing changed from the previous pursuit.

One thing has changed— Snyder to the NLWC. He would have been a training partner for Kerk in Columbus. Now he could be a training partner for him in State College.

If Stevenson is out of Minny then my money would be on Kerk ending up there.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Casey and Cael were in Budapest with our NLWC representatives.

Meanwhile, Stieber was in Kerk's corner this weekend.

Maybe there is more behind the scenes that I don't know, but the optics didn't look all that good for the Buckeyes.

Last edited:

That's simply not how it works at PSU or anywhere else with all due respect. I think it's clear that there's always been and always will be open competition in the Penn State program. In general I think our coaching staff likes kids of good character and I think that they try to reward kids who have bought into the system, but steel sharpens steel and PSU has had a fair number of potential All Americans riding the pine in the last 10 years or so.

Someone put together a nice top ten list of things that had a greater than 0% chance of happening. Maybe Kerk coming should be added to the list.

Reactions: diggerpup
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Casey and Cael were in Budapest with our NLWC representatives.

Meanwhile, Stieber was in Kerk's corner this weekend.

Maybe there is more behind the scenes that I don't know, but the optics didn't look all that good for the Buckeyes.
Tom rarely corners free, but it seemed very odd to me Tervel wasn’t there.

Someone put together a nice top ten list of things that had a greater than 0% chance of happening. Maybe Kerk coming should be added to the list.
Off the top of my head, here are 5:

Quentin Wright's postseason run to his first title, with a shoulder injury.

Freshman Crnzo pinning 2x national champ Martinez in the finals.

Bo's elevator.

National Champ One-Legged Jason Nolf.

All-American James English.

BjWSlkfCUAAYRQB.jpg

That's simply not how it works at PSU or anywhere else with all due respect. I think it's clear that there's always been and always will be open competition in the Penn State program. In general I think our coaching staff likes kids of good character and I think that they try to reward kids who have bought into the system, but steel sharpens steel and PSU has had a fair number of potential All Americans riding the pine in the last 10 years or so.
I didn’t mean to imply that Cael wouldn’t, or shouldn’t, welcome anyone that wants to wrestle at PSU, but i highly doubt Cael is actively trying to pull in another top tier heavy for the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: billrag
I didn’t mean to imply that Cael wouldn’t, or shouldn’t, welcome anyone that wants to wrestle at PSU, but i highly doubt Cael is actively trying to pull in another top tier heavy for the next 2-3 years.
Except he hosted Ferrari and reportedly Kaminski visited, both this fall -- why would Cael stop something he is already doing?

Plus Kolby Franklin is in that timeframe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT