ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal is growing

You mentioned that in the U23 thread. Can you expound on your thoughts? A relatively “Junior” staffer cornering a key guy?
Yeah, I mean Logie obviously has international experience, so it’s not a total left field thing. But Tervel and Jaggers have been their Freestyle coaching team for a while now. Maybe it was just a combination of those guys focusing on the NCAA season, and wanting to get Stieber involved, and/or increase the visibility of their most recent (remaining) medal winner. Or maybe Kerk likes Stieber’s coaching style. All of that considered, it just seemed weird, especially with Cael and Casey both there.

Man, I’m trying to work on a Fri afternoon and all hell breaking loose.

@LemonPie - you’ve been quiet recently. Need your always humorous take on the matter

Hey bud! Thanks for checking in. Still adjusting to a schedule change, but Im just as excited as ever for this season!

My take is that Ohio State is ****ing finished! At least for the foreseeable future. Sure, they will have their share of top 5 finishes, but it will look like some of Iowa's down years before the Spencer Lee era.

As much as I overhyped and overstated some of the abilities of wrestlers on these last few tOSU teams, I feel completely different about their most recent recruiting cycles (aside from Sasso of course). I'm certainly looking forward to their MSU Open results this afternoon, though I suppose they could prove me wrong.

But I'm not yet ready to go total PSU homer! I suppose at inevitable points where a PSU starter goes down with injury (and believe me, I will stillI assume every sprain and tweak is a season-ender), I'll be beating the drum for Iowa (ugh) through 2021 and Okie State after that.

Suck it, Tom Ryan.

Whether Kerk ends up at Minny, PSU, Ok St or wherever else, it's pretty clear he was not happy/satisfied with his situation in Columbus.

For the face of the program to leave, followed by the #1 2019 recruit a few weeks later, sure leads me to believe something is amiss at Tanning Bed U.

Whether Kerk ends up at Minny, PSU, Ok St or wherever else, it's pretty clear he was not happy/satisfied with his situation in Columbus.

For the face of the program to leave, followed by the #1 2019 recruit a few weeks later, sure leads me to believe something is amiss at Tanning Bed U.
This series of events doesn't mean anything is amiss at tOSU. Snyder explained why he chose to move to NLWC. If Snyder's presence was a big reason tOSU landed Kerk, it's not a shocker that Kerk would look around once Snyder left.

Also, recall that Ed Ruth left NLWC - didn't mean that anything was amiss.

Yeah, I mean Logie obviously has international experience, so it’s not a total left field thing. But Tervel and Jaggers have been their Freestyle coaching team for a while now. Maybe it was just a combination of those guys focusing on the NCAA season, and wanting to get Stieber involved, and/or increase the visibility of their most recent (remaining) medal winner. Or maybe Kerk likes Stieber’s coaching style. All of that considered, it just seemed weird, especially with Cael and Casey both there.

“Not how we would have handled it.”

This series of events doesn't mean anything is amiss at tOSU. Snyder explained why he chose to move to NLWC. If Snyder's presence was a big reason tOSU landed Kerk, it's not a shocker that Kerk would look around once Snyder left.:confused:

Also, recall that Ed Ruth left NLWC - didn't mean that anything was amiss.

So a kid signs his LOI, spends a semester at that school, then leaves before ever competing and no red flags? Yeah, that happens all the time I guess.

As for Ruth, he was not the face of our program. In fact, he and Cael had a few dust-ups while he was at PSU. so it wasn't a shocker when he left. Plus, I don't recall any middle weight studs following him out the door.

Apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
So a kid signs his LOI, spends a semester at that school, then leaves before ever competing and no red flags? Yeah, that happens all the time I guess.
Of course not all the time -- but twice this week with Busiello too.

Looking back to when the sport was founded, that's also how we got Jake Kemerer. Point being: it's infrequent but does happen.

Not pointing fingers but have seen the "something's amiss at Ohio State" comment a few times. The entire situation is: one alum decided his training has maxed out and moved, and one current wrestler at the same weight class decided his key reason for being there is no longer there. That's it.

Extrapolating the HWT situation there to the entire program is like extrapolating The Best Lightweight Room in the Country to that entire program.

It's been a rough month or so for tOSU--but they have studs in the wings, fertile home turf, coaches who can recruit and (for the most part) coach, and most importantly, an AD of one of the Wealthiest (sport-wise) Universities that's all-in. I don't think this is the end of their challenger status--though it may have set it back a few years.

Plus--the transfer scene is wholly different today than it was even 3 years ago. We're going to be seeing more of this kind of thing, not less--and I'm not going to begrudge the kids who decide to move wholesale (no matter where they land).

Reactions: fronk71
Hey bud! Thanks for checking in. Still adjusting to a schedule change, but Im just as excited as ever for this season!

My take is that Ohio State is ****ing finished! At least for the foreseeable future. Sure, they will have their share of top 5 finishes, but it will look like some of Iowa's down years before the Spencer Lee era.

As much as I overhyped and overstated some of the abilities of wrestlers on these last few tOSU teams, I feel completely different about their most recent recruiting cycles (aside from Sasso of course). I'm certainly looking forward to their MSU Open results this afternoon, though I suppose they could prove me wrong.

But I'm not yet ready to go total PSU homer! I suppose at inevitable points where a PSU starter goes down with injury (and believe me, I will stillI assume every sprain and tweak is a season-ender), I'll be beating the drum for Iowa (ugh) through 2021 and Okie State after that.

Suck it, Tom Ryan.
Hah! Peak Lemonpie.

yeah, the wrestle off results aside from Sasso weren’t particularly impressive. As tough as Ethan Smith is (kind of), if Kharchla is as great as people say, you’d want to see more separation. I don’t even want to get into the whole Jordan-Romero abortion of a match, but doesn’t it seem like Ohio refs are a little lenient on Rocky? Didn’t he get bailed out at Ironman one year?

Snyder leaving was 1 domino, but it could cause ripple effects for a few years. I would have opened the checkbook for JDen myself in tandem with the new facilities

Reactions: diggerpup
It's been a rough month or so for tOSU--but they have studs in the wings, fertile home turf, coaches who can recruit and (for the most part) coach, and most importantly, an AD of one of the Wealthiest (sport-wise) Universities that's all-in. I don't think this is the end of their challenger status--though it may have set it back a few years.

Plus--the transfer scene is wholly different today than it was even 3 years ago. We're going to be seeing more of this kind of thing, not less--and I'm not going to begrudge the kids who decide to move wholesale (no matter where they land).

I’m anxious to see what the “Free Nicky Piscataway” crowd has to say about NCAA transfer rules if the cruise liner starts delivering people to SC instead of just carrying them off.

Oh, the drama. I guess it is here to stay, with the transfer rule changes, the name/image/likeness changes, and the 6th years handed out like candy. Sit back and watch it unfold, it's a different college sports world ... I'm excited the season is here. Maybe we'll talk a bit more about wrestling results :):).

I’m anxious to see what the “Free Nicky Piscataway” crowd has to say about NCAA transfer rules if the cruise liner starts delivering people to SC instead of just carrying them off.
Oh, the Iowa branch of the Free Nicky crowd is already squawking about tampering.

Funny - no one saw an issue with Suriano getting courted by Frankie Edgar and crew during the summer. It was all evil CAEL

That's impossible because the cruiseliner has only one route, a one-way ticket from Hodge Valley to Perennial Top 10 New Brunswick.

We need a different term for incoming to PSU.

Reactions: diggerpup

source.gif

Busiello back to the good guys per Pat Mineo.
Let's take this one with a grain of salt. Pat Mineo was the one that tweeted a commitment of a PA guy to Rutgers. He got the PA part right and the Rutgers part right, but named the wrong wrestler, complete with a picture in the tweet.

Ah, here it is. Nate Schon to Rutgers. Problem is Nate Schon wasn't the commit.

"Pat MineotoRutgers Wrestling Fans
8 mins ·
#BOOM! Rutgers adds value to the upper weights with a commitment from PENNSYLVANIA AAA 220 lb STATE CHAMP NateSchon of Sellinsgrove! Schonwill be ajunior this season. Prior to winning a state title as a sophomore, he placed 8th as a freshman. he is currently ranked #7 in the nation at his weight class... Impressive! #RU"

Last edited:
Let's take this one with a grain of salt. Pat Mineo was the one that tweeted a commitment of a PA guy to Rutgers. He got the PA part right and the Rutgers part right, but named the wrong wrestler, complete with a picture in the tweet.

Ah, here it is. Nate Schon to Rutgers. Problem is Nate Schon wasn't the commit.

"Pat MineotoRutgers Wrestling Fans
8 mins ·
#BOOM! Rutgers adds value to the upper weights with a commitment from PENNSYLVANIA AAA 220 lb STATE CHAMP NateSchon of Sellinsgrove! Schonwill be ajunior this season. Prior to winning a state title as a sophomore, he placed 8th as a freshman. he is currently ranked #7 in the nation at his weight class... Impressive! #RU"
Not to mention Schon and Hamilton are about as easily confused as Beard and Conel.

Pat reads this board before claiming he broke Kyle Snyder's news...

clown.jpeg

Last edited:
Posting Busiello to PSU isn't going out on much of a limb. There is a 90% chance he is right and if the contest is to be fastest with the news then by golly go with the low risk guess.

I hope he is right.

Reactions: Mcnulty7310
Posting Busiello to PSU isn't going out on much of a limb. There is a 90% chance he is right and if the contest is to be fastest with the news then by golly go with the low risk guess.

I hope he is right.
Pat is auditioning for a job at Flo.Hes hoping he can make it to Flo with his tweets

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT