ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee. Barstool Sports interview.

Being once considered the best highschool wrestler of all time, brings with it the potential for many unique and bad things that other mere mortal blue chippers get to a far lesser degree.

One of which is focusing more than just a casual glance on other people's opinions and expectations, which for someone like Spencer can never be satisfied no matter his successes.

There are many lessons to be learned here. Hello Bo Bassett!

I hope Spencer takes a full year off,
heals as close to 100% (whatever that now means), potentially bumps up a weight, and then kicks ass on the world stage.

Reactions: nitlion6
Sort of sounds like where C* might be
It's not easy to be a late career guy after years of the grind, and achieving most of your goals.

IMO I think RBY was invested, but somewhat lacking the edge in postseason. Even in Big10s I think he was convinced he can beat anyone with his defense alone. Vito broke that mold and deserved everything he achieved. I still think last year's RBY was better than this year's. None the less there are many other examples across the NCAA. Max had already achieved his main goal, and was just a little less sharp and driven this year. Both of our kids in an environment where wrestling is fun. Spencer has to combat the grind, the injuries, expectations, the prospect of history repeating itself; all the while, training in the room that gets you to hate wrestling ;-)

It's not easy to be a late career guy after years of the grind, and achieving most of your goals.

IMO I think RBY was invested, but somewhat lacking the edge in postseason. Even in Big10s I think he was convinced he can beat anyone with his defense alone. Vito broke that mold and deserved everything he achieved. I still think last year's RBY was better than this year's. None the less there are many other examples across the NCAA. Max had already achieved his main goal, and was just a little less sharp and driven this year. Both of our kids in an environment where wrestling is fun. Spencer has to combat the grind, the injuries, expectations, the prospect of history repeating itself; all the while, training in the room that gets you to hate wrestling ;-)
thought the objective was to win. that's why c-star takes few chances when he knows he doesn't have to. 125 was perfect example. lee had that match won, but kept pushing and got caught. don't care how much they win by, just win.

Reactions: NCPsuFan and Ski
so flo was making excuses for Spencer not wrestling after his loss,now I would mind if he hadn't said excuses are for wusses!

As for me, I’d like to hear interviews with our greats. Spencer gets enough pub as it is.
Agree 100%. From the time Spencer committed to Iowa in 2016, thru this March with his unsuccessful bid for number 4, Penn State crowned five 3-time National Champions: Zain, Bo, Jason, Carter, and Aaron. I also liked Cenzo’s chances for 3 in the Covid year. And they all seemed to be really enjoying the ride!

Last edited:

I was afraid of Vyto all year but he has moments where you just scratch your head and say I can't believe he lost that match? I knew his body type would cause trouble for RBY but I thought his speed and balance would be just too much for Vyto. Unfortunately for Fix and RBY, Vyto was focused and on top of his game. I still can't believe the speed he showed in those last two matches! My wife was making fun of me because I kept replaying the RBY match in slow motion. I told her it was like watching a cobra strike!! I didn't think there was anyone faster than RBY but he looked like a deer caught in the headlights with those takedowns. You could see he was stunned by Vyto's blinding speed combined with his great length just unstoppable. I think Vyto would have taken out Woods and Yanni as well, the way he was wrestling those final matches! I give him all the credit, he wrestled like few I have seen before. Love to see a rematch with RBY now that he has some time to analyze what crashed into him.

Today on TFW, I think Willie said that Spencer has made seven figures in NIL $$$

Reactions: vhsalum
Today on TFW, I think Willie said that Spencer has made seven figures in NIL $$$
Spencer is unique in that he could actually earn that and not just get pay for play NIL from Slumlord Millionaire. Spencer in Iowa is a celebrity and wrestling is king. He is probably comparable to Kenny Pickett in western PA in terms of local celebrity. That can be monetized for significant loot promoting and endorsing products and services in Iowa without anyone “giving” him anything. That’s really what NIL is supposed to be. Kids whose celebrity is actually worth something getting their cut, too.

Spencer is unique in that he could actually earn that and not just get pay for play NIL from Slumlord Millionaire. Spencer in Iowa is a celebrity and wrestling is king. He is probably comparable to Kenny Pickett in western PA in terms of local celebrity. That can be monetized for significant loot promoting and endorsing products and services in Iowa without anyone “giving” him anything. That’s really what NIL is supposed to be. Kids whose celebrity is actually worth something getting their cut, too.
If I’m paying Spencer too wrestle and he flexes on a team mate, Im reconsidering my investment.

The no -show on Saturday seals the deal.

Reactions: ccdiver
NIL for Spencer does not equate to NIL for a recruit.

If Spencer being a generational hero talent in Iowa can bring celebrity endorsement dollars his way, that's great. Local business can capitalize on his popularity and celebrity, to market their wares.

Paying a new kid as a recruiting carrot is a totally different thing. Very few highschool kids can really justify the value of their "NIL" outside of boosters wanting to influence the recruitment decision.

My thoughts on the interview was this.

I always liked Spencer and was always a huge fan until this year starting with the Ayala debacle. I was hanging with many of the HWC supporters and their opinion was that the drama was nothing except one guy off the side who said there was definitely smoke behind the scenes. “Leave that as it is”.

When Spencer made the decision to come back to achieve “his goals” he also decided to come back to help his team achieve their goals. While he claims he wasn’t injured in the interview and we all know he is, it seems like a “face saving” ploy to not look like a d bag for quitting on his teammates which he doesn’t address. In my mind, he quit. Do I forgive a kid who lost his dreams in an instant and made a rash decision. Sure. Do I forgive his coaches…. No! In my opinion the whole Spencer saga of 2022/23 is a massive failure of leadership from the staff and somewhat Spencer as a leader on the team. Spencer should look to his own teammate Jacob Warner who is the epitome of chasing his dream, failing and showing ultimate leadership and grit to get the next best thing.

The Yianni comments are also not very likable in my opinion. The goal is to score points in matches. Yianni never stalls. He wins regardless of style. To throw shade on a fellow competitor and potentially future teammate with USA wrestling is complete garbage and shows more lack of awareness from the Iowa bubble.

Spencer claims there is no beef between he and Gilman. This is 💯 false and he knows it. The whole HWC inner circle knows it and I heard story after story about it. To include from 3 huge supports of Gilman that still regularly communicate with him. And I’ll leave the source at that. But there is definitely bad blood and I can tell you that Gilman has all intentions on making Spencer wished he never wrestled him if it ever happens. Hyperbole? Maybe! But those aren’t my words.

I guess I took the whole interview as a PR stunt for obvious reasons. And I get it, but I found him not genuine. He seems like a good kid and his family is a great family from all accounts. I think he’s stuck in a bubble with TNT and has not been given very good guidance on the past two years of his life. Hopefully he addresses some of this stuff in the future and fixes the Yianni comments.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT