ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee. Barstool Sports interview.

DuckBlunder

Mar 17, 2023
Long time listener. First time caller. Fan of PSU wrestling since my freshman year in 92. Used to watch Kolat and Chertow battle after practice. Got thumped in the Intramural Tourney. Made a sh*tty documentary about John Hughes NCAA title at 142lbs for film class. Can still vividly remember the electricity of my first experience watching wrestling in Rec Hall, Iowa #1 v PSU #2 that ended in a tie. Just putting this out there to establish where my allegiances lie. I thought the criticism Spencer got after his last NCAA match was unwarranted and the stuff about his Mom was a low blow. He seems like a good kid to me and undeserving of all the hate he gets. He is an exceptional human but still just human. I hope he achieves his goals, is able to tune out the naysayers and gets the love from fans that he deserves.

First of all, welcome!

Second of all, very good interview by Spencer. Definitely eye opening on his overall struggles off the mat. I'm glad he did get some things off his chest that you know he's always wanted to say but didn't since he probably didn't feel saying.

Sounds like overall, he doesn't think his career will get followed as much now he's out of college and he's borderline relieved by that.

Few Other Highlights to me:
-Said he was "not hurt" against Ramos but alluded to not being healthy either (think anyone with eyes could tell he isn't)
-Message board postings and haters messages eventually did bother him despite how much he tried to avoid letting it
-Only good things to say about Gilman. Said there's no beef or hate, Gilman had to do what's best for him and his wife is from PA. Didn't allude to getting the better of him in the room (said they didn't really drill together) when that interview was probably the perfect time to. He said it probably made sense since he was Gilman's biggest competitor but then added "maybe not anymore"
-Unsure about if he's going to the Open, said we'll know if we see him register (which will probably happen around the deadline)
-He was a little taken aback by Ferrari's commitment and said to his knowledge only the youngest was being recruited
-Said Max Murin is done wrestling
-He has no plans to ever leave HWC

He said he didn't lose to Ramos because of injury. There's a very subtle difference between saying that and saying that he wasn't hurt at all during the match. One thing Spencer definitely is is respectful of his competition. He said repeatedly in the interview that he didn't want to take away from Ramos's win by blaming it on injury, that Ramos beat him and deserved the win, that he wished the attention after the match was on Ramos's family, not his, because it was his moment, that he hates that close match results always led to questioning what's wrong with him instead of whether the other guy maybe just wrestled a great match, etc. That's one of the things I definitely admired in Spencer from the interview. He went on to say that he's not healthy and hasn't been for a long time, but he refused to use that as an excuse and said that Ramos won because he beat him and earned the victory, even though it's obvious that health/injuries have clearly plagued him for a long time.

Candidly, Spencer is right, he didn't lose because of injury. If he was healthy, he could have ended that match like he always does (quick pin or tech in the first or second) but at the same time, he basically had it won but for some reason, he opted to lock bodies with Ramos when he was effectively up 8-5 with no stall calls and 30 seconds to go. I think that is what will bug him for a long time. The interview was kind of a tough listen to be honest. First and foremost, I hope Spencer gets where he needs to be mentally to be happy because I'm not sure he's there right now based on his tone in that interview.

I thought the Spencer interview was good. You can sense he was going through some stuff all year, and the pressure was intense given the high bar he set for himself by dominating as much as he did. I’d love to see him wrestle in the Open, which I expect, but that he hasn’t wrestled since his Ramos loss. First one going for a 4X natty to lose is a tough label. I hope he finds peace and reconciles himself to the fact that he had a phenomenal college wrestling career.

Given his pretty "broken" physical condition, is it really a reasonable expectation to think he will be able to compete at the next level, which is substantially more difficult than college?

Given his pretty "broken" physical condition, is it really a reasonable expectation to think he will be able to compete at the next level, which is substantially more difficult than college?
Every person who's made the transition will tell you the opposite. Skill level? Yes, but that's not the problem. It's the grind that he avoids by not having to make weight every weekend.

Every person who's made the transition will tell you the opposite. Skill level? Yes, but that's not the problem. It's the grind that he avoids by not having to make weight every weekend.
He had problems making weight? First I heard of that. I tend to think the wrestling - the actual wrestling - will be a lot more grueling at the senior international level.

let it go with Spencer he is done wrestling in college. He was a top 125 lber got injured, didn't reach his goals, shit happens, there are a lot of wrestlers that has happened to. He himself wants to move on by what i read lets all do same and talk about what’s relevant in the upcoming season.

He had problems making weight? First I heard of that. I tend to think the wrestling - the actual wrestling - will be a lot more grueling at the senior international level.
He’s not big but making weight was hard for him because he wasn’t able to workout like normal so he had to be more disciplined with food and fluids than typical.

He’s not big but making weight was hard for him because he wasn’t able to workout like normal so he had to be more disciplined with food and fluids than typical.
It used to be easy since his walk around was like 128-130 so he was basically there are a good run or a normal wrestling workout. Then he can probably have a solid meal probably. Having both run and bike, I can tell you it takes way longer on a bike to get a pound off. I also think he added some muscle since he was lifting a lot in the offseason.

Not eating and doing way more to cut the weight is just a miserable experience and burns people out.

Good interview. Seems the kid puts a ton of pressure on himself to be honest. And I feel that whether it's him, his inner circle, parents..he's listening to too much noise on the outside, and it has definetly affected him over the years and not in a good way. Instead of enjoying himself, he seems miserable or considers himself a failure in some way because he never reached his 4 time status in HS and college. In retrospect, I feel Cael would have done wonders for this kid mentally.

I appreciated The comment he made about Yianni. In summary saying everyone says Yianni such a beast meanwhile he wins 1 point matches throughout his career. I've always thought that strange myself. You have guys like Nolf, Zain, Bo, Dt, etc..all killers but they will never have the "4 timer" status.

I'd take Spencer, Nolf, Bo, DT, Zain's college careers 100% above Yianni's regardless of the "4 timer" thing.

Sounds like all the talk about injuries or sickness every time he didn’t tech or pin really wore on him. HR made Spencer hate wrestling!
We’re both jokesters, but seriously, that is what stood out to me most. He spent more time on the subject of “haters” than anything else. Kept talking about how critics didn’t bother him, but then couldn’t stop himself from repeatedly broaching the subject of his critics. He doth protest too much.

Hmm, kinda similar to a dynamic duo of overly sensitive coaches serving as his mentors.

I really hope Spencer chooses to train for the 28 Olympics, not 24, and begins it by rehabbing until he’s 100% healthy before starting to compete again. He has a history of doing the exact opposite - not getting his turn ACL in high school repaired, wrestling with both ACLs torn, trying to start the 2022 season without repairs, and coming back immediately in the 2023 season. It seems like that’s a big part of the problem, and he really needs to heal for a while and nothing else. He has the talent to win an Olympic medal. It would be sad if he never got that chance, either.

Good interview. Seems the kid puts a ton of pressure on himself to be honest. And I feel that whether it's him, his inner circle, parents..he's listening to too much noise on the outside, and it has definetly affected him over the years and not in a good way. Instead of enjoying himself, he seems miserable or considers himself a failure in some way because he never reached his 4 time status in HS and college. In retrospect, I feel Cael would have done wonders for this kid mentally.

I appreciated The comment he made about Yianni. In summary saying everyone says Yianni such a beast meanwhile he wins 1 point matches throughout his career. I've always thought that strange myself. You have guys like Nolf, Zain, Bo, Dt, etc..all killers but they will never have the "4 timer" status.

I'd take Spencer, Nolf, Bo, DT, Zain's college careers 100% above Yianni's regardless of the "4 timer" thing.
I go back and forth with the 4 timer argument. I always argued that if Spencer won his 4th that Nolf still had the better career but the whole point of the sport is to win and Yianni did that better than almost everyone. I bet Zain, DT, Ruth, Bo, and Nolf would add a few losses to their record if it got them a 4th title. Winning 4 absolutely matters but dominance does as well and the PSU greats were absolutely dominant. I can’t believe people are downplaying Yiannis accomplishment though. He did what every young wrestler dreams about only a few have pulled off

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
Just watched. Nice interview, and Spencer is a good dude. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the senior level, and I'll cheer for him like crazy if/when he's in the red white & blue.

But I think the Iowa coaching staff sets a bad example for their team by always dwelling on what other people are saying. They just can't get it out of their system, and it clearly translates to their guys. Not a great combo in a sport where mentality is so important and social media is so pervasive; ultimately, I think a clear reason they aren't as successful as they'd like to be.

Just watched. Nice interview, and Spencer is a good dude. I'm looking forward to seeing him at the senior level, and I'll cheer for him like crazy if/when he's in the red white & blue.

But I think the Iowa coaching staff sets a bad example for their team by always dwelling on what other people are saying. They just can't get it out of their system, and it clearly translates to their guys. Not a great combo in a sport where mentality is so important and social media is so pervasive; ultimately, I think a clear reason they aren't as successful as they'd like to be.
I agree. That is a clear reason among others. I think they would do well by recruiting a Bonnie Epstein, or try to get one in the portal. I just don't see TnT warming up to that idea though, but as always, I could be wrong.

We’re both jokesters, but seriously, that is what stood out to me most. He spent more time on the subject of “haters” than anything else. Kept talking about how critics didn’t bother him, but then couldn’t stop himself from repeatedly broaching the subject of his critics. He doth protest too much.

Hmm, kinda similar to a dynamic duo of overly sensitive coaches serving as his mentors.
Sorry, just realized my “insights” this morning more or less exactly mirror yours from yesterday. Does that make us together a broken clock? Me thinks not.

He straight up says he was over college wrestling after his 3rd year. If he didn't have a chance at 4, I highly doubt he would have been back. Covid totally messed his career up.
Sort of sounds like where C* might be

This subject is hilarious. The two-ones would far rather finish 2nd doing it their way than use any of that “wussy $h!t” to finish on top.
It takes resiliency to be consistently excellent at anything in life. “Gable toughness” was/is a very successful form of resiliencey. It’s just not the most successful form of it—not by a long shot. Hard also means brittle.

He straight up says he was over college wrestling after his 3rd year. If he didn't have a chance at 4, I highly doubt he would have been back. Covid totally messed his career up.
"Covid" didn't do crap. The decision to lock down the country (when MLB played a full season during Spanish Flu, for contrast; including masks for much of the season) messed up careers. Then the NCAA runs a full football season to give Saban another fake natty. Yes, I'm bitter. Very bitter.

I go back and forth with the 4 timer argument. I always argued that if Spencer won his 4th that Nolf still had the better career but the whole point of the sport is to win and Yianni did that better than almost everyone. I bet Zain, DT, Ruth, Bo, and Nolf would add a few losses to their record if it got them a 4th title. Winning 4 absolutely matters but dominance does as well and the PSU greats were absolutely dominant. I can’t believe people are downplaying Yiannis accomplishment though. He did what every young wrestler dreams about only a few have pulled off
Wrestling is totally unique in that, yes, it matters to win, but we also reward wrestlers for winning as dominantly as possible.

In that sense, I have way more respect for David Taylor (putting aside PSU glasses) or even Dan Gable than I do for Yianni or Kyle Dake.

I mention Gable because Gable lost to Owings when he, holding a lead, went for the pin and Owings took advantage.

Reactions: HawkFan1986

You're not joking, their coaches and team are probably the main reason Pat Mineo gained such a strong following

It takes resiliency to be consistently excellent at anything in life. “Gable toughness” was/is a very successful form of resiliencey. It’s just not the most successful form of it—not by a long shot. Hard also means brittle.
Gable Toughness works very well when your team is literally two deep at every weight class with a stud. Wrestler gets hurt, Gable could just plug another one in with very little drop off.

Exactly.

I think Yanni got real lucky that Austin Gomez was hurt at the end of the year. If he was healthy, I think he would have laid another loss on Yanni. I thought Yanni looked tired and sluggish all year. You could see the fear in him when Murin almost got him cradled in their match. I thought Shane took it to him as well as did Sasso. No where near as intimidating as Spencer or Parris.

Do Iowa wrestlers have mental health issues before or after they become Iowa wrestlers?
How Bout Both GIF by Joey Bada$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT