ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee interview

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Has anyone watched the latest Lee interview. It was on clash of clans. Because he was from PA, I was always a fan. No one can deny the fact the kid is very talented and a wrestling legend, but he doesn’t embrace being a role model. It’s a shame cause I am certain lots of young wrestlers look up to him. His demeanor is a reflection of Iowa. Not a good look in my opinion, especially now that he is getting paid by sponsors

Being a great wrestler is great, but your character is much more important to most people. Sorry for the rant, you would never see a PSU wrestler carrying themselves in that manner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Has anyone watched the latest Lee interview. It was on clash of clans. Because he was from PA, I was always a fan but this interview makes it hard. No one can deny the fact the kid is very talented and a wrestling legend, but he lacks character and doesn’t embrace being a role model. It’s a shame cause I am certain lots of young wrestlers look up to him.

Being a great wrestler is great, but your character is much more important to most people. Sorry for the rant, you would never see a PSU wrestler carrying themselves in that manner.
Link?

Here it is, haven’t listened—though I’d be surprised if he made a heel turn now. What did he say that showed poor character? Still hung up on all the haters? That Iowa bubble is real.

giphy.gif

Has anyone watched the latest Lee interview. It was on clash of clans. Because he was from PA, I was always a fan but this interview makes it hard. No one can deny the fact the kid is very talented and a wrestling legend, but he lacks character and doesn’t embrace being a role model. It’s a shame cause I am certain lots of young wrestlers look up to him.

I do agree Lee is very talented. Very, very talented. I do not think he is a legend. Unless every three timer that could wrestle in four finals and win three of them is also a legend. That is my personal opinion.

Reactions: Ski and PASLP2
Watched the whole video. Didn’t do anything to create a more negative view of Spencer or anything.

One of the big takeaways I got was that basically the Iowa guys kill themselves and each other in practices when going live. He basically says their egos are so big that no one wants to back down and they just grind and grind and grind.

Which is no surprise given the results we see.

Honestly - he just seemed like the same old Spencer to me. A lot of what he said was what was said in the Barstool interview.

Really dont know what youre talking about lack of character? He is respectful of his opponents, doesnt trash talk anyone and just said he gets upset getting swarmed by kids while he is warming up. He said he will stay after a match as long as it takes to sign autographs and take pictures with kids…just not before he match because he has a job to do. He spoke highly of RBY and I can’t see anything he said that showed lack of character. As for cant see PSU guys ever acting that way….I have two words…Carter Starocci.

I thought it was great. He came off as a very likeable dude. But it also sounded like he was physically able to wrestleback at nationals.

I found it interesting how quickly and easily he could rattle off Gilman’s freestyle accolades.

And the bit at the end about wrestling RBY was great.

Yeah … not sure what the original poster’s point was … thought Lee comes off as candid and likable … got a much more positive opinion of him as a person from the podcast. It does seem that once someone like Spencer who has been built up to almost legendary status in their career, gets beyond that time we get a much different picture of them as a person.

Reactions: David Keller
Any other ex-Hawks we want to discuss?
I’ll talk about Thomas Gilman anytime. It seems that making 57 is becoming a real problem for him—at least that’s how I’m interpreting things. I’ll be curious to see if he moves up to 61 after 2024.

Reactions: mcpat
These two guys are doing better with their podcasts, I will add. The Beau one was tougher to watch.

These two guys are doing better with their podcasts, I will add. The Beau one was tougher to watch.
I certainly enjoyed the podcast and respect the fact that Spencer is willing to go on and expose himself to the public. But as for the interviewers themselves, I wish they would let the subject of the interview do more talking and not talk over them. In particular, in this case, Spencer was ready to go on and talk more about why he didn’t wrestle back at nationals and the interviewer talked right over him.

Reactions: Ski and hlstone
I certainly enjoyed the podcast and respect the fact that Spencer is willing to go on and expose himself to the public. But as for the interviewers themselves, I wish they would let the subject of the interview do more talking and not talk over them. In particular, in this case, Spencer was ready to go on and talk more about why he didn’t wrestle back at nationals and the interviewer talked right over him.
See what happens when you let the Ferraris around the team?

I’ll talk about Thomas Gilman anytime. It seems that making 57 is becoming a real problem for him—at least that’s how I’m interpreting things. I’ll be curious to see if he moves up to 61 after 2024.
I think he's done after 2024

Never saw Barstool clip, but liked this one, finally hearing explanations for the two withdrawals, owned and delivered by the source, not daddy. Gotta be tough on a combat athlete to hint at mental devastation, but he did. Doesn’t excuse not angrily steamrolling to NCAA bronze for your team, a quitter’s scar he’ll never lose. The practice room intel strengthens the “broken-Hawks-by-March” theory, and his respect for RBY was genuine. From a nearby town, I followed Lee’s HS career, always rooting for him. GOAT talk came from others, but he owns the backfiring “excuses” comment and petty, public taunt of teammate Ayala. Whether it was the Iowa room, poor medical advice, or a body destined to break, his stellar career may always seem snakebit and less than full. HWC or not, I’m one Lion fan hoping the wrestling gods now favor this young guy with as much health as possible. I’d like to root for him again.

I missed the part where he explained why he quit at both NCAA's and the US Open, which is what everyone wants to know. Nice that the question was asked this time but we didn't get an answer.

I missed the part where he explained why he quit at both NCAA's and the US Open, which is what everyone wants to know. Nice that the question was asked this time but we didn't get an answer.
Just out of curiosity, but has he ever in his whole career wrestled in a consolation bracket? Not in High school and not in College that I can remember. I only saw him lose a couple duals and the finals of the Bigs. Of course dropping out of a tourney after losing in the championship bracket lessen your chance of ever wrestling in a consolation bracket. Maybe in kids club or kids state he got into a consolation bracket, but I doubt it.

Just out of curiosity, but has he ever in his whole career wrestled in a consolation bracket? Not in High school and not in College that I can remember. I only saw him lose a couple duals and the finals of the Bigs. Of course dropping out of a tourney after losing in the championship bracket lessen your chance of ever wrestling in a consolation bracket. Maybe in kids club or kids state he got into a consolation bracket, but I doubt it.
Took 3rd at Big Tens his freshman year. Lost to NATO in the semis then came back and majored Rivera (12-0) and teched Welch (16-0) for third.

Beneficiary of the Suriano semi MFF. Sometimes you end up on the right side of the bracket lol.

Welch was pretty good that year too. Lost to Bresser in OT in the r12.
Something seems off here. wasnt Suriano a freshy when Gilman was a senior?

In the one with Beau, they didn't know where Wyoming Seminary was... This was an improvement from a lower bar lol.

I’m trying to process his comments about Woods when last year he got a decent/good lead early several times and seemed to shut it down, wrestling to like a -1 to 2 point margin over the last two periods. Are my memories biased? I know it’s possible the matches I saw may have been against better than average guys.

Reactions: hlstone
Great interview...actually seems like a pretty likeable guy. He always seemed so standoffish to me, like he always had his guard up, a chip on his shoulder, but he really opened up, seemed down to earth and had a good sense of humor. Seems humble and gives other guys a lot of credit. I came out of that liking him more. I also think he has every right to not sign autographs right before he is going to wrestle....kind of rude of the parents to push their kids to do that at an inappropriate time. A few other thoughts:
  1. People....wrestlers, whatever the field or profession, have different personalities. We should NOT put everyone in the same box and expect them to act the same way when faced by the media. Some guys are more private, loners, and introverted. Doesn't make them bad guys if they are more guarded and reserved.
  2. I still don't get that grind it out mentality in the Iowa wrestling room. Definitely old school and short term thinking. It's good for conditioning and toughness, but where is the long view? I attended the Iowa intensive month long wrestling camp back in the 80's...looks like nothing has changed. I really loved that, but that intensity, grind, and push doesn't work over the course of a long and physical B10 season. Makes me really thankful for Coach Cael and staff's training philosophy. Work hard, but strategic and fun. Why can't the Iowa staff see that and adjust?

Great interview...actually seems like a pretty likeable guy. He always seemed so standoffish to me, like he always had his guard up, a chip on his shoulder, but he really opened up, seemed down to earth and had a good sense of humor. Seems humble and gives other guys a lot of credit. I came out of that liking him more. I also think he has every right to not sign autographs right before he is going to wrestle....kind of rude of the parents to push their kids to do that at an inappropriate time. A few other thoughts:
  1. People....wrestlers, whatever the field or profession, have different personalities. We should NOT put everyone in the same box and expect them to act the same way when faced by the media. Some guys are more private, loners, and introverted. Doesn't make them bad guys if they are more guarded and reserved.
  2. I still don't get that grind it out mentality in the Iowa wrestling room. Definitely old school and short term thinking. It's good for conditioning and toughness, but where is the long view? I attended the Iowa intensive month long wrestling camp back in the 80's...looks like nothing has changed. I really loved that, but that intensity, grind, and push doesn't work over the course of a long and physical B10 season. Makes me really thankful for Coach Cael and staff's training philosophy. Work hard, but strategic and fun. Why can't the Iowa staff see that and adjust?
Have you seen this video? If not, start at 8:30 for thoughts on recovery, and go to 18:00 for thoughts on over training. This may explain some things. You need about a minute or so at each of these times to understand.

The Big Ten documentary pretty much shows all you need to know about the brothers. They are going to coach exactly the way they wrestled. It's not in their DNA to change.

Reactions: NLB_Six
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT