ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle Day 1 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RBY must be sick.... where’s the energy?
1zk4yg.jpg

Sarcasm intended

Some other early interesting stats.

Nevills and Hall are tied with the most near fall points so far with 12.

It's no surprise that Nolf and Nickal are leading with team bonus with 2 pins a piece. The 3rd N is currently in 3rd place with a TF and pin. Then there is Hall with his scoring issues with 2 TFs.

Nickal is barely leading Nolf in least amount of time wrestling: 5:24 to 5:28

Some other early interesting stats.

Nevills and Hall are tied with the most near fall points so far with 12.

It's no surprise that Nolf and Nickal are leading with team bonus with 2 pins a piece. The 3rd N is currently in 3rd place with a TF and pin. Then there is Hall with his scoring issues with 2 TFs.

Nickal is barely leading Nolf in least amount of time wrestling: 5:24 to 5:28

And Joseph?

Obvious regression of WR, McSorely one legging it all year, Tommy Stevens AWOL, playcalling? They let OSU beat them twice. It was all a nice cocktail for a letdown. However, Noah Cain seemed upbeat on twitter after, so that’s nice.

AWOL?? Is that just a poor choice of acronym or did you not realize that he had surgery after the season to be ready for next year.

The guys that RBY wrestles (and especially the two today) seem much bigger than him. Or at least more muscular. Usually, his lightning speed counteracts that difference (if there is in fact one), but today he hasn't really been able to deploy it, except once or twice with a quick duck under or double leg.

Is he undersized?

I can't picture him at 141 anytime soon. I think he would get horsed around.

The guys that RBY wrestles (and especially the two today) seem much bigger than him. Or at least more muscular. Usually, his lightning speed counteracts that difference (if there is in fact one), but today he hasn't really been able to deploy it, except once or twice with a quick duck under or double leg.

Is he undersized?

I can't picture him at 141 anytime soon. I think he would get horsed around.
I think that’s a honest question. Only he and the coaches know. He does appear strong enough but could he be stronger? I think moving up to 141 would require some serious weight training and muscle and bone growth.

Nolf goes for the PSU career pin record in his next match. Will he get it there or have to wait a bit?

And does anyone have a golden "pin chain" to present to him afterwards? Or something else appropriate? The locksmith (keymaker) in the Matrix might have a suitable prize.
The_Keymaker.jpg

Like Nolf, Nickal and Joseph have both pinned each of their opponents today. Good to see some intra-squad competition.

Reactions: danoftw
Bound to happen, several posters wondering what's wrong with RBY. What's wrong is he's a true freshman with less than 10 bouts under his belt. He's not been challenged yet, only having wrestled guys that were way out-manned.

The Scuffle is an awesome experience, with the coaches and RBY getting a better idea where he is.

Good luck dinner done, ready for the quarters.

PSU Football should be 12 - 1. I am a fan but something is off.

You know how Bo Nickal took Myles to his back in last year's finals? Well, the football players aren't doing "that". The coaches didn't miss the FGs or not stay in their lanes in punt coverage or make Thompkins not fair catch a punt and let it roll to the 5. Sometimes the players make the plays. This year the guys who replaced Saquon, Gesicki & Daesean were guys we thought would take their turn and step up to make plays...but didn't. Right? When Magic and Ruth left, Zain, Nolf and Nickal stepped up. Well, football didn't.

Here's some takedown stats for you:

Verk - 16
Cassar - 11
Lee - 11
Nevills - 10
Hall - 10
Berge - 10
Joseph - 8
Schnupp - 7
Nickal - 5
Nolf - 5
Rasheed - 3
RBY - 2
Teske - 2

Iowa, in the entire Midlands tournament had 81 with 12 wrestlers, ten starters plus two. This list has 13, so throw out Nevills, there are 90, before the quarter final round. Amazing stat!

It looks like MFF for Brock and Parker at 141

Guys seem to MFF any more as a precaution when they get a splinter, stub a toe, or even find a fallen pubic hair follicle on the urinal. WWDGD (What Would Dan Gable Do?)

Reactions: Afw6006
Someone posted this on HR. Bio of RBY's Stanford opponent:

Dalton Young - Stanford RS FR

High School
- 2017 graduate of Lakeside High School in Nine Mile Falls, Wash.
-170-0 career record, first undefeated record in Washington state history
- Four-time state champion

And 2017 UWW Jr Greco champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT