ADVERTISEMENT

Some recruiting perspective vs OSU

The fact you have Parsons in this list shows the biased research you did. I get your point though.

With that said, one PSU class worth of players had OSU Offers, I would bet about 75% + OSU players had PSU Offers, and some probably didn't because PSU knew they had no chance.

Call it like it is, psu can field a solid team, but they are not even close to competing continuously against the top 4-6 teams. OSU is crushing PSU in recruiting, ND is beating them as well. Two teams that can get into PA, and PSU needs to hold off, they are not holding them off for very good recruits. We aren't even talking about penn state snagging big time recruits in the back yard of any top 10 programs.
There’s absolutely nothing biased about my “research”. It’s a straight forward list, in which, I clearly pointed out not all of the OSU offers were committable. Obviously, Parsons would be one such example (although clearly, his offer was committable for several months). No s**t that a high % of OSU commits had offers from PSU...who would have ever thunk it? My original post was to provide evidence that PSU has won many head-to-head battles vs OSU in recruiting, which remains a fact.

The fact you have Parsons in this list shows the biased research you did. I get your point though.

With that said, one PSU class worth of players had OSU Offers, I would bet about 75% + OSU players had PSU Offers, and some probably didn't because PSU knew they had no chance.

Call it like it is, psu can field a solid team, but they are not even close to competing continuously against the top 4-6 teams. OSU is crushing PSU in recruiting, ND is beating them as well. Two teams that can get into PA, and PSU needs to hold off, they are not holding them off for very good recruits. We aren't even talking about penn state snagging big time recruits in the back yard of any top 10 programs.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There’s absolutely nothing biased about my “research”. It’s a straight forward list, in which, I clearly pointed out not all of the OSU offers were committable. Obviously, Parsons would be one such example (although clearly, his offer was committable for several months). No s**t that a high % of OSU commits had offers from PSU...who would have ever thunk it? My original post was to provide evidence that PSU has won many head-to-head battles vs OSU in recruiting, which remains a fact.
Just because a recruit has an offer doesn't mean OSU and PSU went head to head. There's not a lot of players out of this 24 that OSU put a full court press on and it came down to psu and osu as one of the last few finalists. PSU will get recruits that have always loved psu even if they have an OSU offer, problem is, they are losing players and recruits near state college, that grew up PSU fans. PSu is not returning the favor.

I would say PSU is probably winning a total of 2 or 3 battles vs OSU per year.

Last edited:
Just because a recruit has an offer doesn't mean OSU and PSU went head to head. There's not a lot of players out of this 24 that OSU put a full court press on and it came down to psu and osu as one of the last few finalists. PSU will get recruits that have always loved psu even if they have an OSU offer, problem is, they are losing players and recruits near state college, that grew up PSU fans. PSu is not returning the favor.

I would say PSU is probably winning a total of 2 or 3 battles vs OSU per year.
In that case, why does each game come down to 1 to 3 points difference? If Ohio St is winning almost every head to head recruiting battle, shouldn't you be better on the field by a lot? Ohio St has had the 2nd best recruiting class average from 2013 to present. Shouldn't Ohio St have been able to put up even a single point in the playoff the last 3 years with that kind of talent?

Does this just drive you nuts that you have such a large recruiting advantage over not just PSU but also anyone not named Alabama and you really have nothing to show for it?

At some point do the recruits start to question Ohio St when you squander away the 2nd best talent in college football 3 years in a row? Another 5 star won't help if you can't use them to score even a single point in a playoff game in 3 years. Maybe the elite players will start to figure out that they maybe could win championships with a team like PSU who has recently been punching above their weight, similar to what they figured out when they started chosing Clemson.

In the midst of the two worst scandals (Strauss and Michigan Man Nassar) in the history of CFB. I can't believe OSU and Michigan fans are here talking about sports, that's incredibly tone deaf.
Ugh.. You're getting your scandals wrong buddy. Nassar happened at Michigan State.

Oh and, Sandusky... Glass houses, Yada Yada Yada.

In that case, why does each game come down to 1 to 3 points difference? If Ohio St is winning almost every head to head recruiting battle, shouldn't you be better on the field by a lot? Ohio St has had the 2nd best recruiting class average from 2013 to present. Shouldn't Ohio St have been able to put up even a single point in the playoff the last 3 years with that kind of talent?

Does this just drive you nuts that you have such a large recruiting advantage over not just PSU but also anyone not named Alabama and you really have nothing to show for it?

At some point do the recruits start to question Ohio St when you squander away the 2nd best talent in college football 3 years in a row? Another 5 star won't help if you can't use them to score even a single point in a playoff game in 3 years. Maybe the elite players will start to figure out that they maybe could win championships with a team like PSU who has recently been punching above their weight, similar to what they figured out when they started chosing Clemson.
If the elite players cared so much about "scoring a single point in the playoffs the last 3 years" (spoiler alert, they don't give a shit) why are they still coming to OSU? To Ryan Day?

Out of that list of recruits, I'd say only 2 were players OSU truly wanted and went after. Micah Parsons and Jayson Oweh. The Parsons saga was weird, he was all OSU until the whole GameDay incident, and the staff cut ties after that. Oweh we wanted badly and unfortunately went to PSU, he can become a great DE with good coaching.

Ugh.. You're getting your scandals wrong buddy. Nassar happened at Michigan State.

Oh and, Sandusky... Glass houses, Yada Yada Yada.

Ugh... you can't read buddy. Nassar went to Michigan. Hence he is a Michigan man. Try and keep up. MSU is where he committed his crimes, be UM shaped him into the person he is today. There is enough scandal in Michigan to go around. In fact it's so bad, with so many victims being ignored, that it would be the worst scandal ever... if it weren't for what happened at Ohio State.

Oh, and Sandusky worked for the second mile, not Penn State. Also, If you were paying attention, PSU was cleared in court. Good luck on that happening at OSU!

Even though you don't know what you are talking about... I'm super impressed you showed up on a PSU message board to try and defend the school up north that everyone totally thinks you hate, and definitely don't have a bromance with. ;)

Last edited:
Let's be honest with ourselves. Scumbag Sweatervest and Urbs recruited a type of character that Penn State avoids. The typical Ohio State football player would be more than welcomed at the southern schools, and Miami and Florida State would roll out the red carpet for these kids. The under-the-table payments and lack of classroom attendance requirements are very appealing, not to mention the Maurice Clarett SUVs.

When the Sandusky scandal broke, the news was flooded with the developments, and the Trustees sold out the football program in a heartbeat. Ask yourselves, how much news or reaction has there been to the massive Ohio State sex abuse scandal -- CLICK?

tOSU passed on thug Micah Parsons, who was begging to be a Buckeye.

What do all these guys have in common?...Olu Fashanu, Cole Brevard, Derek Wingo, D’Von Ellies, Noah Cain, Brenton Strange, Michael Johnson Jr., John Dunmore, Lance Dixon, Hakeem Beamon, Brandon Smith, Tyler Rudolph, Marquis Wilson, Devyn Ford, Rasheed Walker, Jayson Oweh, Jahon Dotson, Micah Parsons, Aneas Hawkins, PJ Mustipher, Juice Scruggs, Jesse Luketa, Ricky Slade & Zack Kuntz.

The answer is that, aside from all of them being current or committed PSU football players, they all had offers to OSU. While one could argue that perhaps, not all of their OSU offers were “commitable”, that would definitely be more the exception than the rule. For all of you PSU Debbie Downers out there, I hope this list will provide you with some perspective that in fact, OSU loses plenty of recruiting battles vs PSU. There is some serious talent on this list, with several Rivals 100 guys represented.

The sky is not falling. JF is continuing to close the talent gap, and in a big way, vs OSU. And while the typical Buckeye fan is way too arrogant or biased to acknowledge it, they should realize just how fortunate they were to escape with victories each of the last 2 years, while having a sizable talent gap (on paper). Regardless of Fleming’s decision or Toutant’s flip, have faith that JF & staff will continue to recruit at an extremely high level, and in the process, continue to chip away at any talent advantage OSU may have.

Oh yeah, the ski is falling for you, and you know it. PSU is a sinking ship and the rats are scurrying off it.

The same thing is said in all the time with every college football program, other college sports, high school sports, youth league sports, professional sports, businesses, and countries. The old "We don't win because we're better people, or they only win becasue they cheat." There's always exceptions but if you are truly being honest with yourself, there really isn't that much of a difference.
Bull$hit. PSU does not recruit scum bags like ahia $tate. Your program is the definition of success without honor. I have more respect for the entire SEC and Clemson than ahia $tate

LOL - Osu and PSU are the best football programs in the Big 10. PSU is the most delusional fan base in the BIg 10.
I see that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. klemman is an OSU fan not a PSU fan. If you are gonna take a shot it has got to be better than this lame effort.

What do all these guys have in common?...Olu Fashanu, Cole Brevard, Derek Wingo, D’Von Ellies, Noah Cain, Brenton Strange, Michael Johnson Jr., John Dunmore, Lance Dixon, Hakeem Beamon, Brandon Smith, Tyler Rudolph, Marquis Wilson, Devyn Ford, Rasheed Walker, Jayson Oweh, Jahon Dotson, Micah Parsons, Aneas Hawkins, PJ Mustipher, Juice Scruggs, Jesse Luketa, Ricky Slade & Zack Kuntz.

The answer is that, aside from all of them being current or committed PSU football players, they all had offers to OSU. While one could argue that perhaps, not all of their OSU offers were “commitable”, that would definitely be more the exception than the rule. For all of you PSU Debbie Downers out there, I hope this list will provide you with some perspective that in fact, OSU loses plenty of recruiting battles vs PSU. There is some serious talent on this list, with several Rivals 100 guys represented.

The sky is not falling. JF is continuing to close the talent gap, and in a big way, vs OSU. And while the typical Buckeye fan is way too arrogant or biased to acknowledge it, they should realize just how fortunate they were to escape with victories each of the last 2 years, while having a sizable talent gap (on paper). Regardless of Fleming’s decision or Toutant’s flip, have faith that JF & staff will continue to recruit at an extremely high level, and in the process, continue to chip away at any talent advantage OSU may have.
Thank you for bringing us back to Earth. Now close the portal and teach kids the meaning of commitment.

Out of that list of recruits, I'd say only 2 were players OSU truly wanted and went after. Micah Parsons and Jayson Oweh. The Parsons saga was weird, he was all OSU until the whole GameDay incident, and the staff cut ties after that. Oweh we wanted badly and unfortunately went to PSU, he can become a great DE with good coaching.
Thanks for reinforcing my point of how arrogant and biased (and in your case, clukess would have fit well) OSU fans are. Parsons & Oweh the only 2:::yeah, right. Go do your homework, clown. OSU was actively pursuing at least 2/3 of the list. Go ask some of your arrogant cohorts about Meyer’s interest in Rasheed Walker, Juice Scruggs & Jesse Luketa, for starters.

Thanks for reinforcing my point of how arrogant and biased (and in your case, clukess would have fit well) OSU fans are. Parsons & Oweh the only 2:::yeah, right. Go do your homework, clown. OSU was actively pursuing at least 2/3 of the list. Go ask some of your arrogant cohorts about Meyer’s interest in Rasheed Walker, Juice Scruggs & Jesse Luketa, for starters.
Did I hit a nerve? What a whiny baby. I remember Rasheed Walker, but he wasn't someone we were definitely after, nor was he ever going to come here. The other 2 I've literally never heard of and I follow OSU recruiting closely. The OP listed a ton of recruits that were plan B and C guys for OSU and many of those would not have found a way into our recruiting classes. Stop trying to paint a victory that isn't there.

Let's be honest with ourselves. Scumbag Sweatervest and Urbs recruited a type of character that Penn State avoids. The typical Ohio State football player would be more than welcomed at the southern schools, and Miami and Florida State would roll out the red carpet for these kids. The under-the-table payments and lack of classroom attendance requirements are very appealing, not to mention the Maurice Clarett SUVs.

When the Sandusky scandal broke, the news was flooded with the developments, and the Trustees sold out the football program in a heartbeat. Ask yourselves, how much news or reaction has there been to the massive Ohio State sex abuse scandal -- CLICK?

Exactly. So “just beat them on the field and the gap goes away” argument is probably not accurate. Franklin does a wonderful job of selling what it means to come here. But then it can creep in their head that they don’t have to do the school piece and maybe get other perks and ....

I hate OSU, i'm just pointing out the obvious.

PSU has been competitive with OSU for a few reasons. Recently Barkley and McSorley (they gone). Cold weather, Beaver stadium and the home crowd. Don't have those this year, could be ugly.

OSU typically has one brain fart per year, purdue. They went what 13-1 last year? Their brain fart was bad enough vs purdue to keep them out. They have had 9 losses in the last 7 seasons. I hate them, but that is Alabama/Clemson good. Now they only have 1 title compared to Bama or clemson. But they are in that echelon.

OSU and PSU are frichan easy schools for football student athletes. They don't have to do squat at either school. Does one school pay or pay more, maybe? OSU just pumps players into the NFL, something Penn State has done sporadically.

How "sporadically" do your synapses click?

Might want to get that engine a tune-up.

th
Starting player quality in the NFL, very sporadically, Old beat up chevy sporadic. I'm guessing less than 10 PSU players start in the NFL out of their 24 on rosters.

PSU has been competitive with OSU for a few reasons. Recently Barkley and McSorley (they gone). Cold weather, Beaver stadium and the home crowd. Don't have those this year, could be ugly.

OSU typically has one brain fart per year, purdue. They went what 13-1 last year? Their brain fart was bad enough vs purdue to keep them out. They have had 9 losses in the last 7 seasons. I hate them, but that is Alabama/Clemson good. Now they only have 1 title compared to Bama or clemson. But they are in that echelon.

OSU and PSU are frichan easy schools for football student athletes. They don't have to do squat at either school. Does one school pay or pay more, maybe? OSU just pumps players into the NFL, something Penn State has done sporadically.
PSU pumped the 8th best number of players into the NFL over the last 5 years relative to their star rating. Ohio St was behind them, they just had over 5 times as many 5 stars and over twice as many 4 stars in that period.

According to SB Nation who tracked results from the 2000 draft on, 5 stars have a 53% chance of getting drafted, 4 stars 20%, 3 stars 6%, 2 stars 3%. Penn State pumped over 104% mores drafted players into the NFL the last 5 years than expected based on the number 5, 4, 3, and 2 stars they brought in using SB Nations' since 2000 odds of getting drafted by star rating.

PSU pumped the 8th best number of players into the NFL over the last 5 years relative to their star rating. Ohio St was behind them, they just had over 5 times as many 5 stars and over twice as many 4 stars in that period.

According to SB Nation who tracked results from the 2000 draft on, 5 stars have a 53% chance of getting drafted, 4 stars 20%, 3 stars 6%, 2 stars 3%. Penn State pumped over 104% mores drafted players into the NFL the last 5 years than expected based on the number 5, 4, 3, and 2 stars they brought in using SB Nations' since 2000 odds of getting drafted by star rating.
Man, you really need to find another hobby. That crap you just spewed is the most worthless, meaningless, "data-point" I have seen on this board - and that is saying a lot. Of all the criteria that the NFL uses to draft college players, their high school "star" rating isn't even in this universe.

I know you didn't say that in your own words, but the whole thought process that someone else other than you in this world is (or should be) looking at all your data and kids are making decisions as to which school they should choose, or the NFL is looking at similar data to decide who they should draft ...is absurd.

In all of your posts, you fail to recognize two simple facts ...

"Star ratings" are completely SUBJECTIVE.
Won-Loss records are completely OBJECTIVE.

I suspect that OSU has PSU "beat" in nearly every measurable OBJECTIVE criteria when it comes down to on the field performance. I, like all PSU fans, hope that changes in the future, but for now, "it is what it is".

Last edited:
Man, you really need to find another hobby. That crap you just spewed is the most worthless, meaningless, "data-point" I have seen on this board - and that is saying a lot. Of all the criteria that the NFL uses to draft college players, their high school "star" rating isn't even in this universe.

I know you didn't say that in your own words, but the whole thought process that someone else other than you in this world is (or should be) looking at all your data and kids are making decisions as to which school they should choose, or the NFL is looking at similar data to decide who they should draft ...is absurd.

In all of your posts, you fail to recognize two simple facts ...

"Star ratings" are completely SUBJECTIVE.
Won-Loss records are completely OBJECTIVE.

I suspect that OSU has PSU "beat" in nearly every measurable OBJECTIVE criteria when it comes down to on the field performance. I, like all PSU fans, hope that changes in the future, but for now, "it is what it is".
Holy reading comprehension Batman! No one is claiming that the NFL uses star rating to make draft picks.

5 stars get drafted in recent history at 53%(47% do not go on to get drafted). 4 stars 20%, 3 stars have a 6% chance of getting drafted.

At Penn St over the last 5 years, we have had over TWICE as many drafted as the recent historical average. So a 4 star at PSU has TWICE as much chance of getting drafted as a 4 star randomly at the average school. It's not a difficult concept. All 4 stars 20% chance. At PSU it was more like 40%. Although a lot of that also came from our 3 stars getting drafted much higher than the average 6% that all 3 stars do.

Yes, Ohio St had more total drafted with over 5 times as many 5 stars and over twice as many 4 stars as PSU had. That's because 5 stars and 4 stars are drafted higher than 4 stars and 3 stars. You want to measure if a school prepares them better than the average 5 or 4 star for the NFL, that's what a recruit would want to know to maximize their chance at the NFL.

A few things from an OSU fan based on previous comments on this thread:
1. A team doesn't have to be better than the other team to win, just better that day. The closer in talent, the easier it is to be better that day. (The reason for the close games the past several years))
2. While the lesser talented team may be able to win on any given day, the team with more talent will win more games over time. (That's why the recent head to head record is 3-7 or 7-3, depending on your perspective)
3. At the level PSU and OSU should be recruiting, 1 or 2 prospects won't make a difference overall. What makes a difference is whether a team is accumulating an abundance of talent. ( so Toutant and Fleming only make up about 10% of each program's class)
4. Did OSU win the close games the last couple of years becasue they got lucky, or because that's what better teams do, win when they aren't playing great or the opponent is... (no way of knowing)
5. We have no idea whether Fleming and Toutant will be a stud, a bust, or just average. (No way of knowing)

Conclusion- OSU and PSU are currently the two best football programs in the Big 10, and should continue to be so.

Good Stuff

Bull$hit. PSU does not recruit scum bags like ahia $tate. Your program is the definition of success without honor. I have more respect for the entire SEC and Clemson than ahia $tate
Relax man. I bet > 85% of the players on OSUs roster had offers from PSU. Probably more. So please tell me who are the “scum bags”?

Last edited:
Holy reading comprehension Batman! No one is claiming that the NFL uses star rating to make draft picks.

5 stars get drafted in recent history at 53%(47% do not go on to get drafted). 4 stars 20%, 3 stars have a 6% chance of getting drafted.

At Penn St over the last 5 years, we have had over TWICE as many drafted as the recent historical average. So a 4 star at PSU has TWICE as much chance of getting drafted as a 4 star randomly at the average school. It's not a difficult concept. All 4 stars 20% chance. At PSU it was more like 40%. Although a lot of that also came from our 3 stars getting drafted much higher than the average 6% that all 3 stars do.

Yes, Ohio St had more total drafted with over 5 times as many 5 stars and over twice as many 4 stars as PSU had. That's because 5 stars and 4 stars are drafted higher than 4 stars and 3 stars. You want to measure if a school prepares them better than the average 5 or 4 star for the NFL, that's what a recruit would want to know to maximize their chance at the NFL.

"You want to measure if a school prepares them better than the average 5 or 4 star for the NFL, that's what a recruit would want to know to maximize their chance at the NFL."

Do you really believe that any high school player with dreams of making it to the NFL thinks this way? I don't - but I do believe they will look at this type of data:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...klahoma-ohio-state/1tp8py9hhqs6k1ah71o4ekq0t5

"You want to measure if a school prepares them better than the average 5 or 4 star for the NFL, that's what a recruit would want to know to maximize their chance at the NFL."

Do you really believe that any high school player with dreams of making it to the NFL thinks this way? I don't - but I do believe they will look at this type of data:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...klahoma-ohio-state/1tp8py9hhqs6k1ah71o4ekq0t5
It's a very stupid way to look at it.

1) How many staffs have been in place since 2010? Clearly the last 5 years at best is most relevant to a current HS Jr or Sr.

2) Alabama gets the most 5 stars and 4 stars in. Considering that 5 stars have a 53% chance of getting drafted, 4 stars 20%, 3 stars only 6%, and 2 stars 3%, Alabama wins most drafted the day they ink their #1 recruiting class. Ohio St has had the 2nd best recruiting and guess what ? Also the 2nd most drafted. Of course they SHOULD have the most drafted. The question is are they improving the draft odds of the top recruits they get and by how much?

3) This article lists FSU, Georgia, and USC in the top 10 for developing NFL talent. But relative to the odds of putting 5, 4, 3, and 2 stars into the NFL, there are 40 power 5 schools who do it better than these schools in the last 5 years.

For example, FSU has had 17 5-stars and 50 4-stars in the classes contributing to the last 5 drafts where they produced 25 draft picks. Penn St has had only 1 5-star and 30 4-stars while producing only 4 fewer draft picks. FSU had over twice as much top recruiting talent and only outproduced PSU by 4 draft picks? That is not good for FSU. Utah was even better with 0 5-stars and only 8 4-stars and still produced 19 draft picks. So FSU has had over 800% more 4 and 5 star players as Utah but produced only 31% more draft picks. A 4 star recruit would be incredibly better off choosing Utah over Florida St if their goal is the NFL.

4) Total number of picks not considering how many top recruits are brought into a school tells you absolutely nothing about how well the players are developed for a chance at them NFL.

All is well.

3-12
More wins than all but a half dozen schools over this time period but some "PSU fans":rolleyes: only want to select a small subset of those games to throw shade on our program.

Guess what? I'm selecting Ohio St's 4 BLOWOUT LOSSES to Purdue, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Clemson over the same timeframe to point out that they just get dominated by some schools with much less talent (and yes, Oklahoma and Clemson at the time had much less talent).

I'm also selecting Alabama's 2 losses in the last 3 against Clemson to make the claim that they are losers.

Listen, anyone can cherry pick a small subset of the games to make an erroneous conclusion. Rutgers won a few over the last few years, Rutgers Al claims only those games and they are a force to be reckoned with.

LOL - Osu and PSU are the best football programs in the Big 10. PSU is the most delusional fan base in the BIg 10.

Regardless of whether one thinks OSU has lived up to its talent or not, I don’t think there’s too much argument that the Buckeyes have been the best football team in the conference the last 8 years- which I think is a fair time frame to define who is currently the best.

If we compare PSU and Michigan during that period, both teams have 34 losses. Michigan has three 10 win seasons, but no 11 win seasons and no conference championships. PSU also has 34 losses, but with two 11 win seasons and a conference championship. With the 8 years I’m including the NCAA probation for PSU, but not the Rich Rodriguez years for Michigan. If I was looking at it from a 10 year perspective, it would be more clearly in the N. Lion’s favor. Either way, the edge would go to PSU.

I suppose based on records the argument could be made for Wisconsin or MSU being the second best, but MSU has been down the past three years and it’s difficult to say at this point that if either of those teams played 10 games against PSU, they would win 6 or more. It’s close for who is the second best team, but as a fan looking only at it only from a football perspective, I would enjoy being a PSU fan right now more than Michigan, Wisconsin, or MSU.

Reactions: Mudge1026

you would think the time they would start to really question is now - new coach

Instead of getting nasty, you might want to worry about getting smarter because you’re not very bright.

Don’t try to explain it to him, he obviously can’t understand what you’re saying.

Let's be honest with ourselves. Scumbag Sweatervest and Urbs recruited a type of character that Penn State avoids. The typical Ohio State football player would be more than welcomed at the southern schools, and Miami and Florida State would roll out the red carpet for these kids. The under-the-table payments and lack of classroom attendance requirements are very appealing?

OSU and PSU are recruiting many of the same players as OP refers to. It would be interesting to look at OSU’s classes under Meyer and see how many had Penn Stare offers.
Quick check -PSU offered all but three OSU current commits - kicker from Cincy, a 3-star OL out of Ohio with offers from Purdue and Northwestern, and a WR from Washington State that JF would take in a second. Time to wake up to the reality of the type of student athlete OSU now targets.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT