ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - 4th Quarter Drama vs. Indiana

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU-INDIANA FILM STUDY

See Link. Spun this unexpected adversity as a positive because we're tired of being negative and we're probably sheep. Two things stood out: 1. the all-22 view of the pick really shows how gunshy Allar was on this play -- and presumably a lot of plays this season. The WRs have been popular punching bags this season (and maybe rightfully so) but I think the limitations of the TV broadcast window has helped facilitate the "no one is open. no one is getting separation narrative." Open doesn't mean "social distancing" open -- it means a step that offers a window for the QB to place the ball. Hopefully throwing the pick takes that pressure to not mess up off Drew's back, because we can't beat Michigan if he doesn't make 4-5 WOW throws, IMO. 2. The way the threat of Pribula's legs holds the second-level backside defenders on zone read/read option really jumps off the screen. That 3rd down and 7 was 7 blockers vs 8 box defenders, but it worked because Beau's presence prevented the backside defenders from cheating inside. 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2 bring him in ala Will Levis in 2020...especially since the T seems to have been figured out.

PSU-INDIANA FILM STUDY

See Link. Spun this unexpected adversity as a positive because we're tired of being negative and we're probably sheep. Two things stood out: 1. the all-22 view of the pick really shows how gunshy Allar was on this play -- and presumably a lot of plays this season. The WRs have been popular punching bags this season (and maybe rightfully so) but I think the limitations of the TV broadcast window has helped facilitate the "no one is open. no one is getting separation narrative." Open doesn't mean "social distancing" open -- it means a step that offers a window for the QB to place the ball. Hopefully throwing the pick takes that pressure to not mess up off Drew's back, because we can't beat Michigan if he doesn't make 4-5 WOW throws, IMO. 2. The way the threat of Pribula's legs holds the second-level backside defenders on zone read/read option really jumps off the screen. That 3rd down and 7 was 7 blockers vs 8 box defenders, but it worked because Beau's presence prevented the backside defenders from cheating inside. 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2 bring him in ala Will Levis in 2020...especially since the T seems to have been figured out.
hope springs eternal

PSU-INDIANA FILM STUDY

65 years of the back up QB being the solution and counting.

I am going to just say it. We've got a problem in the middle of the OL. JB played a better game than we got out of the player last week, but our Center is a liability. On several occasions, he was just a swinging gate. And when he wasn't the offensive backfield had to look and make sure. This is the second game in a row where the D concentrated on exploiting that position. I think Illinois exposed it and both tOSU and Indy saw it on film.

I don't know why people are talking about this.

I am going to just say it. We've got a problem in the middle of the OL. JB played a better game than we got out of the player last week, but our Center is a liability. On several occasions, he was just a swinging gate. And when he wasn't the offensive backfield had to look and make sure. This is the second game in a row where the D concentrated on exploiting that position. I think Illinois exposed it and both tOSU and Indy saw it on film.

OL play is tough to judge because you generally have to replay it multiple times to see what went wrong.

I think our calls are bad at times as well. I watched Shelton turn left to help the RG when he was in and in the same instance a blitz was coming his way behind the stunt.

As I've said beforehand, OL definitely needs some portal help next year. We lose a lot off this line in the way of starters. LT, C, RG, and RT will all be gone. I don't know who you can get, but I believe you have to bring in good guys to compete because as talented as the young guys supposedly are, OL needs to be 3rd and 4th year guys generally to be successful.

Reactions: royboy
OL play is tough to judge because you generally have to replay it multiple times to see what went wrong.

I think our calls are bad at times as well. I watched Shelton turn left to help the RG when he was in and in the same instance a blitz was coming his way behind the stunt.

As I've said beforehand, OL definitely needs some portal help next year. We lose a lot off this line in the way of starters. LT, C, RG, and RT will all be gone. I don't know who you can get, but I believe you have to bring in good guys to compete because as talented as the young guys supposedly are, OL needs to be 3rd and 4th year guys generally to be successful.
I've been tracking various sights that "scored" OL after games. I only saw the Indy game's first half at a sports bar then watched the second half last night on film. Everytime I watched the Center/LGuard gap it was getting stuffed or blown up altogether. I read two sites that said Center graded out the worst of the year, after it was the lowest graded position on the field versus tOSU. RPO run option isn't going to work if that is the case. And it is no wonder Allar has developed happy feat. JB played after missing a couple of weeks but didn't play very well.

Again, MD will use this as their attack point and we'll need to address it if we plan to win. There is probably no more concerning place to be weak then at the center of the OL.

Couldn’t agree more and Center play should be discussed more. Had multiple bad snaps vs OSU and was repeatedly pushed into the backfield. We are also not handling Dline twists which should be resolved at this point in the season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
PSU-INDIANA FILM STUDY

Interesting concept…..Drew has been too concerned about throwing his first pic. Now that that is out of the way he can relax and let it fly. Definitely a possibility. At least he knows the D will minimize the damage.

Pretty amazing for a first year starter to go that long without a pic. Perhaps he has been too careful. Sure hope this is the case and he jusy goes crazy from here.

Reactions: royboy

Is that Nourzad? Was he the Cornell transfer, new this year? After all these years why can we not get a competent center?? Is this player development or is he just a low end talent? Did we see him as a weak link prior to the season?
The O-Line was viewed as a strength at the beginning of the season so has he underperformed or we just chose to ignore that he could be an issue? Again, I will say it, this type of crap where your center can't even hold up vs Indiana ultimately is a Franklin issue.

I've been tracking various sights that "scored" OL after games. I only saw the Indy game's first half at a sports bar then watched the second half last night on film. Everytime I watched the Center/LGuard gap it was getting stuffed or blown up altogether. I read two sites that said Center graded out the worst of the year, after it was the lowest graded position on the field versus tOSU. RPO run option isn't going to work if that is the case. And it is no wonder Allar has developed happy feat. JB played after missing a couple of weeks but didn't play very well.

Again, MD will use this as their attack point and we'll need to address it if we plan to win. There is probably no more concerning place to be weak then at the center of the OL.
Here's the problem: Franklin and Trautwein cannot put together a complete offensive line. It is like trying to hold too many things underwater or whatever the analogy is. So this is the problem this year and a big one then that will get fixed somewhat for next year and watch left tackle will be a huge issue next season with Olu departing. Or right tackle or both who knows but sure as heck it will be something. No depth, seen this bad movie every season. Franklin does not have it.

Interesting concept…..Drew has been too concerned about throwing his first pic. Now that that is out of the way he can relax and let it fly. Definitely a possibility. At least he knows the D will minimize the damage.

Pretty amazing for a first year starter to go that long without a pic. Perhaps he has been too careful. Sure hope this is the case and he jusy goes crazy from here.
I think this is on Franklin not Allar. Turnovers is the most important stat for Franklin, and I can guarantee that he is all over Drew during practice to be careful with the ball and not throw a pick. I would love for them to turn Drew loose now but I think the concern for throwing INTs is not going away. If he wasn't taking any chances vs Delaware and Massachusetts when we were virtually assured to win then he's not going to be allowed to take chances against teams like Maryland and Michigan.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think this is on Franklin not Allar. Turnovers is the most important stat for Franklin, and I can guarantee that he is all over Drew during practice to be careful with the ball and not throw a pick. I would love for them to turn Drew loose now but I think the concern for throwing INTs is not going away. If he wasn't taking any chances vs Delaware and Massachusetts when we were virtually assured to win then he's not going to be allowed to take chances against teams like Maryland and Michigan.
Yeah it is in his head. I wonder if he was this cautious in HS? I don't think so. The Michigan game will be terrible, it will be check down city for 2 yard passes all day long.

• Sad
Reactions: WaffleShopper
Just once I'd like to see a PSU squad just line up and run over an opponent. Just flatten them until they're short arming it in the 4th quarter.

OL has been decent all year except OSU and Indiana. I'll give them a pass versus Indiana because there was zero energy for that game. The entire team phoned it in. To be honest, the fact that we came back and won that game is a big positive sign to me.

We might struggle a little versus MD but I think (and hope) we'll be motivated to win this game.

Here is a
OL has been decent all year except OSU and Indiana. I'll give them a pass versus Indiana because there was zero energy for that game. The entire team phoned it in. To be honest, the fact that we came back and won that game is a big positive sign to me.

We might struggle a little versus MD but I think (and hope) we'll be motivated to win this game.
I hope you are correct. My take is that Ill exposed the interior of our OL and teams have been rushing in to exploit it. I recently read that our Center graded very well in run blocking against Indy but not pass blocking. That may be true and the coaches didn't stick with the running game enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT