ADVERTISEMENT

Some positives

The Rose Bowl isn't a title. It's a scrimmage when it's not included in the playoff
You should be
So going by your line of thinking, does that mean that Penn State has never won a football national championship? Because they've never been in any college football playoff.

So going by your line of thinking, does that mean that Penn State has never won a football national championship? Because they've never been in any college football playoff.
Before the playoff some bowls mattered because there wasn't a playoff to determine it
But it's also why people always said "MNC" meaning "mythical" because it wasn't settled on the field. See 1994 as a prime example of Penn State not winning a title because of how stupid bowls are. How antiquated the system truly is.

Well, that actually is true. There is no actual national championship in 1-A college football and there are no plans for there to be one.

What we have now is just the latest in a line of systems leading to a mythical national champion.

Reactions: GSPMax
That's not true--FBS crowns a champion--there's importance. The entire season is played with that lone objective. To be the best. You don't caring about the WC doesn't alter the fact it exists to crown a single champion. That's the goal--to win the title.
So based on this logic, when a team loses their second game of the year (which based on history would functionally exclude them from the playoff), they should just quit, right? Like after the UM game, PSU should have just stopped playing completely? because those games no longer matter because they can't make the playoff? Do you appreciate how incredibly dumb that sounds?

So based on this logic, when a team loses their second game of the year (which based on history would functionally exclude them from the playoff), they should just quit, right? Like after the UM game, PSU should have just stopped playing completely? because those games no longer matter because they can't make the playoff? Do you appreciate how incredibly dumb that sounds?
You play out the season just like any sport but that's why FBS still needs a drastic overhaul and a larger playoff like FCS.

It's sound dumb because no one said that. That's your twist. Guys like Olu shouldn't have played though after that. Thankfully that changes next year.

• Haha
Reactions: NoBareFeet
You play out the season just like any sport but that's why FBS still needs a drastic overhaul and a larger playoff like FCS.
So how is a bowl game any different? If you can no longer win the championship all games have lost their "meaning" (according to you) and they just should play them.
Guys like Olu shouldn't have played though after that.
This is insane. You cannot possibly believe that.
Thankfully that changes next year.
No, bowls will still exist and still have meaning.

So how is a bowl game any different? If you can no longer win the championship all games have lost their "meaning" (according to you) and they just should play them.

This is insane. You cannot possibly believe that.

No, bowls will still exist and still have meaning.
Your goals are gone but you play out the season.
You realize Olu sat a lot after that right?
They don't but it's cute you think that. Do you believe in Santa?

Because the NCAA has decided that they do.
Additionally, they have meaning because other people have assigned meaning to them.

This isn't hard. I'd expect a "Michigan Man" to be able to understand basic logic.
Why did the NCAA decide they do? Answer the question...its simple

Lol

You all are the same that don't want a large playoff but can wait for Texas-Penn State in a bowl game instead of it being Penn State at Texas with the winner playing Michigan. But enjoy the bowl games.

Why did the NCAA decide they do? Answer the question...its simple
The same reason that I can decide the World Cup doesn't matter. Everyone can assign their own meaning to anything. The NCAA, being the governing body, has an opinion that matters more than yours or mine.

Reactions: Sullivan
Your goals are gone but you play out the season.
So how is that any different than the bowl game?
I've exposed a flaw in your logic. Just take your L and sit out the next few months, K?
You realize Olu sat a lot after that right?
WTF are you talking about?
He led the OL in snaps against Rutgers (haven't seen MSU yet, but he was on the field a lot)

They don't but it's cute you think that.
Wait, you think bowls are going away next year? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Do you believe in Santa?
Obviously not, as a scientist. Do you believe in God?

The same reason that I can decide the World Cup doesn't matter. Everyone can assign their own meaning to anything. The NCAA, being the governing body, has an opinion that matters more than yours or mine.

It can't be that simple. Otherwise, Cammando won't have an excuse for making another 500 posts on the topic :rolleyes:

So how is that any different than the bowl game?
I've exposed a flaw in your logic. Just take your L and sit out the next few months, K?

WTF are you talking about?
He led the OL in snaps against Rutgers (haven't seen MSU yet, but he was on the field a lot)

Wait, you think bowls are going away next year? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Obviously not, as a scientist. Do you believe in God?
Because a bowl game isn't part of the schedule. It's added after the semester is over
There's no flaw in my logic
He didn't play in the second half against MSU
Bowl aren't going away--they're just even more meaningless if that's possible.
I have no opinion on God--agnostic.

Because a bowl game isn't part of the schedule. It's added after the semester is over
The playoffs aren't part of the schedule, nor is the CCG. They are added after the regular season is over.
There's no flaw in my logic
You are horrible at logic.
He didn't play in the second half against MSU
Lots of guys didn't play. It's called getting your backups reps in a blowout.
Bowl aren't going away--they're just even more meaningless if that's possible.
Nope, they still have the same meaning.
I have no opinion on God--agnostic.
Again, you were so close to saying something somewhat smart. Just missed!

Reactions: GSPMax
But this contradicts your logic.

If you cannot win the championship the games have no meaning. So why play?
It doesn't at all
Because that part is an obligation for the season as you're still enrolled in school
But again--next year, things improve and when we got to 24-32

What a stupid statement. One can have pride in lots of things. To have pride in winning a bowl game makes total sense. You continue to espouse your view when everyone already knows it.

By the way, not to dissect the difference between the words “title” vs “champion” but the winner of the Rose Bowl game is considered Rose Bowl champion so it is something whether you agree with it or not.

What a stupid statement. One can have pride in lots of things. To have pride in winning a bowl game makes total sense. You continue to espouse your view when everyone already knows it.

By the way, not to dissect the difference between the words “title” vs “champion” but the winner of the Rose Bowl game is considered Rose Bowl champion so it is something whether you agree with it or not.
Pride and meaningful are different things
You can take pride in a close loss against a good team. Still a loss.
A bowl win outside the playoff is still a failure of the goal.

It doesn't at all
Because that part is an obligation for the season as you're still enrolled in school
So your stance is that if you are still enrolled you need to play? That should include bowl games, no?
But again--next year, things improve and when we got to 24-32
I hope they never go to 24 or 32. I think 8 is the correct number, but I like the on campus aspect of the 12 team system.

So your stance is that if you are still enrolled you need to play? That should include bowl games, no?

I hope they never go to 24 or 32. I think 8 is the correct number, but I like the on campus aspect of the 12 team system.
They aren't enrolled for bowl games--fall semester ends way before then
How is 8 the correct number when you have more conferences than that? You want it to be 8 to keep the bowl system in place, right?
FCS has 24 and it works great

How is 8 the correct number when you have more conferences than that? You want it to be 8 to keep the bowl system in place, right?
I also like an 8 team playoff. That's 4 first round games that could all be played on New Years Day. Then the final 4 one week later and the final 2 two weeks later. That means the players don't miss much class time.

I also like 12 other teams playing in 6 bowl games to be played between Christmas and New Years. IMO 20 teams making bowl games is enough. A lot of people are taking vacation then anyway and once again players don't miss class.

Of course I like the idea that college sports should be played by college students but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
This is incorrect. You enroll (register for classes) for spring semester in September. So you are in fact registered as a student for Spring well before bowl season starts.

How is 8 the correct number when you have more conferences than that?
Power 4 conferences (now that Pac 12 is gone) winners, plus highest ranked G5 conference winner, plus 3 at large teams.
You want it to be 8 to keep the bowl system in place, right?
No, just that 24 is far too many. Then you've got 4 loss teams making the playoff and that's ridiculous.
FCS is a totally different animal and the playoff is the only post-season (i.e. there aren't also bowl games).

I prefer they get rid of the playoffs entirely. They suck.

It was great when college football was way different than all other sports and the emphasis was on each team winning as many games as possible, not on some mythical championship. That was what made college football interesting and distinct as opposed to just being an inferior version of the NFL that it rapidly is becoming.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
I also like an 8 team playoff. That's 4 first round games that could all be played on New Years Day. Then the final 4 one week later and the final 2 two weeks later. That means the players don't miss much class time.

I also like 12 other teams playing in 6 bowl games to be played between Christmas and New Years. IMO 20 teams making bowl games is enough. A lot of people are taking vacation then anyway and once again players don't miss class.

Of course I like the idea that college sports should be played by college students but that ship sailed a long time ago.
Do you want a second playoff for G5 then?
I just don't understand, in a sport of 130-something, why anyone thinks 8 teams is sufficient. No other sport has that kind of a percentage.

This is incorrect. You enroll (register for classes) for spring semester in September. So you are in fact registered as a student for Spring well before bowl season starts.

Power 4 conferences (now that Pac 12 is gone) winners, plus highest ranked G5 conference winner, plus 3 at large teams.

No, just that 24 is far too many. Then you've got 4 loss teams making the playoff and that's ridiculous.

FCS is a totally different animal and the playoff is the only post-season (i.e. there aren't also bowl games).
You're pretending Olu and Chop are enrolled in the Spring and players don't graduate in December?
All G5 winners must be included if they exist
How is it too many? Arizona, for example, absolutely deserves a shot this year as they've improved drastically. Why do you still want bowl games if there's a legit playoff?

And are we really taking the opinion of someone who uses "They're" in the quoted sentence seriously? hahaha
Dog pulling too hard on the leash is the excuse I have seen in the past for this type of gibberish.

No, they can keep going to bowl games. Only top G5 team ever stands a chance against P5 and even that wouldn't be an every year thing.
I just don't understand, in a sport of 130-something, why anyone thinks 8 teams is sufficient. No other sport has that kind of a percentage.
Most sports have too many teams in the playoff. I hate the NCAA basketball tournament. It's absurd that a conference tournament champ with a losing record could (in theory) go to the final four.

Reactions: 81b&w
You're pretending Olu and Chop are enrolled in the Spring and players don't graduate in December?
Now you are moving the goalposts. Of course players graduate in December. And some students to withdraw between the end of fall and the beginning of spring semesters (for a variety of reasons). But you are dead wrong that players (unless the planned on graduating in December) "aren't enrolled" during bowl season.
All G5 winners must be included if they exist
Based on what?
How is it too many? Arizona, for example, absolutely deserves a shot this year as they've improved drastically. Why do you still want bowl games if there's a legit playoff?
As I said, 8 seems perfect. Arizona has three losses: one to Mississippi St who is butt, one to USC who is, as the kids say, "mid" and one to Washington (no shame there). I have no problem with excluding a three loss team.

First of all if you're not top 8 you're probably not #1.

Second, football is not like baseball of basketball where teams can play on back to back nights. Theoretically these kids are students attending classes. I realize you don't like that part.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
No, they can keep going to bowl games. Only top G5 team ever stands a chance against P5 and even that wouldn't be an every year thing.

Most sports have too many teams in the playoff. I hate the NCAA basketball tournament. It's absurd that a conference tournament champ with a losing record could (in theory) go to the final four.
Why would they not have a playoff?
Do you think kids would rather play in a playoff or a bowl?
Why would you rather play Texas in the Fiesta Bowl as opposed to a playoff game?

Now you are moving the goalposts. Of course players graduate in December. And some students to withdraw between the end of fall and the beginning of spring semesters (for a variety of reasons). But you are dead wrong that players (unless the planned on graduating in December) "aren't enrolled" during bowl season.

Based on what?

As I said, 8 seems perfect. Arizona has three losses: one to Mississippi St who is butt, one to USC who is, as the kids say, "mid" and one to Washington (no shame there). I have no problem with excluding a three loss team.
I'm not moving the goal posts--you stated enrolling in September means you're a student for month which isn't true. Olu and Chop won't be enrolled in the spring.

Every other sport and a "real playoff"

Who cares that Arizona has 3 losses--they've improved to where they'd be a legit opponent for anyone.

First of all if you're not top 8 you're probably not #1.

Second, football is not like baseball of basketball where teams can play on back to back nights. Theoretically these kids are students attending classes. I realize you don't like that part.
Probably not but then why have bowl games?
See FCS doing 24 teams. I agree with you it's not like other sports but FCS proves it can be done. I'm not overly worried about classes--I think other sports are harder academically honestly

Why would they not have a playoff?
Why would they? Unless you want to reclassify P5 as it's own thing. They aren't good enough to qualify for the playoff.
Do you think kids would rather play in a playoff or a bowl?
Depends. Would a kid rather spend a week at Miami Beach and play a game they have a chance of winning or would they rather play at State College in December and get thumped into the middle of next week? Depends on the kid. But if I'm ranked 32nd, I'm not too psyched about getting physically dominated by Georgia in the first round and even less so if that is a cold weather game against OSU, PSU or UM.
Why would you rather play Texas in the Fiesta Bowl as opposed to a playoff game?
Moving the goalposts again. An 8 team playoff would include the Fiesta Bowl. See comment above about why a team might not want to play in a 32 team playoff.

I'm not moving the goal posts--you stated enrolling in September means you're a student for month which isn't true. Olu and Chop won't be enrolled in the spring.
What? That's not coherent English. You said "bowl games should be optionally because players aren't enrolled." That is incorrect because MOST players (unless they are graduating in December) enroll for Spring semester in September. So they have already enrolled for the spring when bowls come around (i.e. there is no gap in enrollment like you insinuated).
Every other sport and a "real playoff"
LOL. Get real.
Who cares that Arizona has 3 losses--they've improved to where they'd be a legit opponent for anyone.
I do. You are moving towards a basketball model where all that matters is how well you are playing at the end of the year. I hate that. Losing to a crappy team (or three) at the beginning of the year matters.

Why would they? Unless you want to reclassify P5 as it's own thing. They aren't good enough to qualify for the playoff.

Depends. Would a kid rather spend a week at Miami Beach and play a game they have a chance of winning or would they rather play at State College in December and get thumped into the middle of next week? Depends on the kid. But if I'm ranked 32nd, I'm not too psyched about getting physically dominated by Georgia in the first round and even less so if that is a cold weather game against OSU, PSU or UM.

Moving the goalposts again. An 8 team playoff would include the Fiesta Bowl. See comment above about why a team might not want to play in a 32 team playoff.
I mean, we'd have to split FBS into 2 levels if there's never going to be more than an 8 team playoff
So, you think a kid would rather take a trip then get to play against Georgia for a chance at an upset? Wow
No team wouldn't want to play in a playoff. If so, they shouldn't be playing sports at that level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT