ADVERTISEMENT

Bye week analysis

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Comparing to pre season expectations

QB: Close to what was expected. Allar has managed the game well and hasn't thrown any INTs but he's also been inconsistent at times.

OL: Worse than expected. This was supposed to be PSU's best OL in some time but that hasn't seemed to be the case. I think they've only allowed 3 sacks but they also haven't been able to create much running room for our RBs against relatively weak opponents.

RB: Worse than expected. Allen continues to grind out 4 yards per carry but very few explosive runs. How much is the RBs and how much is the OL?

TE: Close to expectations. Warren & Johnson have been good for 4 catches per game which is good but not as spectacular as hoped. I've seen some good blocking and some missed blocks.

WR: Slightly below expectations. This was a concern entering the season and it remains a concern. Lambert Smith looks very good but I'm not sure he can get deep and win 50/50 balls. Wallace looked good on underneath routes but hasn't played the last two weeks. Cephas looks good but nowhere near the star performer we hoped for. Clifford is a decent possession receiver. I was impressed with McClain early on but has since dropped a couple of passes and appears to be benched. Overall decent but no threat like Dotson or Hamler.

DL: Above expectations. There was concern about DT but Durant & Izzard have helped. DE has been solid.

LB: I seriously don't know how to evaluate this so I'll say as expected. I'm used to LBs making a lot of tackles and out top tackler is Jacobs with 18 through 5 games. Carter only has 12 tackles. That used to be a good single game number. But Diaz moves these guys all over the place instead of keeping them in the running lanes. King has done a nice job. I was hoping for Rojas to have the quick impact but that was probably not realistic.

DB: Above expectations. I was optimistic about CB but there were questions about S. Reed, Wheatley, Winston, & Ellis have been very good.

ST: About as expected. Felkins has been solid making 7 of 9 FG attempts and all of his XPs. Nwosu has been OK on kickoffs. Thompson has been average at best as punter. I don't expect any booming 55 yd punts to change field position. Punt returns and KO returns haven't been great.

Reactions: brupsu and Jerry
Agree with all of these. I would add that TE’s and WR’s don’t seem to be blocking very well.

Reactions: brupsu

QB: Close to what was expected. Allar has managed the game well and hasn't thrown any INTs but he's also been inconsistent at times.

OL: Worse than expected. This was supposed to be PSU's best OL in some time but that hasn't seemed to be the case. I think they've only allowed 3 sacks but they also haven't been able to create much running room for our RBs against relatively weak opponents.

RB: Worse than expected. Allen continues to grind out 4 yards per carry but very few explosive runs. How much is the RBs and how much is the OL?

TE: Close to expectations. Warren & Johnson have been good for 4 catches per game which is good but not as spectacular as hoped. I've seen some good blocking and some missed blocks.

WR: Slightly below expectations. This was a concern entering the season and it remains a concern. Lambert Smith looks very good but I'm not sure he can get deep and win 50/50 balls. Wallace looked good on underneath routes but hasn't played the last two weeks. Cephas looks good but nowhere near the star performer we hoped for. Clifford is a decent possession receiver. I was impressed with McClain early on but has since dropped a couple of passes and appears to be benched. Overall decent but no threat like Dotson or Hamler.

DL: Above expectations. There was concern about DT but Durant & Izzard have helped. DE has been solid.

LB: I seriously don't know how to evaluate this so I'll say as expected. I'm used to LBs making a lot of tackles and out top tackler is Jacobs with 18 through 5 games. Carter only has 12 tackles. That used to be a good single game number. But Diaz moves these guys all over the place instead of keeping them in the running lanes. King has done a nice job. I was hoping for Rojas to have the quick impact but that was probably not realistic.

DB: Above expectations. I was optimistic about CB but there were questions about S. Reed, Wheatley, Winston, & Ellis have been very good.

ST: About as expected. Felkins has been solid making 7 of 9 FG attempts and all of his XPs. Nwosu has been OK on kickoffs. Thompson has been average at best as punter. I don't expect any booming 55 yd punts to change field position. Punt returns and KO returns haven't been great.

Nice analysis.

Here's mine in a nutshell: D is dominant. O has question marks. Running attack is a disappointment. QB is still settling in but has huge talent and will only improve. Kicking game is adequate.

But the bottom line speaks for itself: 5-0.

Coming into the season, I felt like we were capable of winning every game on the schedule but success would ultimately be measured by our performance against the Big-2. I've seen nothing so far to change my view.

Pretty much how I see it. I keep hoping they’re simply not showing their cards until 10/21.

Agree, and we need new punt and kickoff returners. Why risk an injury to Singleton when hes not that good of a returner. Saunders has had countless punt returns where he just fair caught it with plenty of room to run.

Reactions: bdgan
Agree, and we need new punt and kickoff returners. Why risk an injury to Singleton when hes not that good of a returner. Saunders has had countless punt returns where he just fair caught it with plenty of room to run.
I believe that is by instruction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT