ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday morning thoughts

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Defense
  • Our DBs have looked really good all year. That's quite a statement since we lost our top CB and top S to the NFL draft.
  • I'm surprised how few sacks we get considering how often we blitz and how talented we are at DE. FWIW we had 3 sacks yesterday and 2 of them were Izzard. Maybe he can make a big contribution going forward.
  • Our 2 top LBs (Carter & Jacobs) combined for 5 tackles. I remember when PSU's top LBs would get 10 tackles per game.
  • 5 TOs were the difference in the game. A couple were great coverage by DBs but others looked unforced. Altmyer made some huge errors.

Offense
  • Not a lot good in this game. Our OL was manhandled. Singleton only had 37 yds rushing and that included a late 16 yd TD run. Until then he was averaging 2 yds per carry.
  • PSU's average starting position in the first half was somewhere near the 40 but we were limited to FGs. It's not good when we can't score on 1st and goal from the 2 yd line (and we weren't pushed back because of a penalty). Is our OL that much worse than advertised?
  • How much of the problem was scheme? Illinois loaded the box and #4 was incredibly disruptive. Where were the screen passes to slow the rush? What about getting the ball to our RBs in space? Most of the runs seemed to be between the tackles which played into Illinois strategy.
  • With so much pressure I would have hoped we could do better with a quick release pass over the middle to one of our big TEs.
  • I've been hoping that we could throw the ball to our big TEs or McClain in the EZ. The TEs are both 6'6" and McClain is 6'4".
  • How much did we miss Wallace? Hope he's good to go for Iowa. Also hope McClain's drops were a one time thing.

Special Teams
  • Felkins looks reasonably solid from short range
  • Thompson averaged 42 yds punting. He seems to rely on directional punting more than long booming punts.

Our 2 top lbs were playing safety and covering 15 or 20 yards down field. Ask yourself how far down field was Carter on his int? Their positioning on the field contributed greatly to the ints by the secondary. This will change shortly based on team they play. It is wise not to look at numbers and jump to conclusions without watching the film.

Izzard clogged the middle and blew up any run game and got 2 sacks. If he can stay healthy he can be an exceptional DT. Watch the film.

Defense
  • Our DBs have looked really good all year. That's quite a statement since we lost our top CB and top S to the NFL draft.
  • I'm surprised how few sacks we get considering how often we blitz and how talented we are at DE. FWIW we had 3 sacks yesterday and 2 of them were Izzard. Maybe he can make a big contribution going forward.
  • Our 2 top LBs (Carter & Jacobs) combined for 5 tackles. I remember when PSU's top LBs would get 10 tackles per game.
  • 5 TOs were the difference in the game. A couple were great coverage by DBs but others looked unforced. Altmyer made some huge errors.

Offense
  • Not a lot good in this game. Our OL was manhandled. Singleton only had 37 yds rushing and that included a late 16 yd TD run. Until then he was averaging 2 yds per carry.
  • PSU's average starting position in the first half was somewhere near the 40 but we were limited to FGs. It's not good when we can't score on 1st and goal from the 2 yd line (and we weren't pushed back because of a penalty). Is our OL that much worse than advertised?
  • How much of the problem was scheme? Illinois loaded the box and #4 was incredibly disruptive. Where were the screen passes to slow the rush? What about getting the ball to our RBs in space? Most of the runs seemed to be between the tackles which played into Illinois strategy.
  • With so much pressure I would have hoped we could do better with a quick release pass over the middle to one of our big TEs.
  • I've been hoping that we could throw the ball to our big TEs or McClain in the EZ. The TEs are both 6'6" and McClain is 6'4".
  • How much did we miss Wallace? Hope he's good to go for Iowa. Also hope McClain's drops were a one time thing.

Special Teams
  • Thompson averaged 42 yds punting. He seems to rely on directional punting more than long booming punts.
Our 2 top lbs were playing safety and covering 15 or 20 yards down field. Ask yourself how far down field was Carter on his int? Their positioning on the field contributed greatly to the ints by the secondary. This will change shortly based on team they play. It is wise not to look at numbers and jump to conclusions without watching the film.

Izzard clogged the middle and blew up any run game and got 2 sacks. If he can stay healthy he can be an exceptional DT. Watch the film.
Did you two guys watch the same game? That’s what makes the board fun. Varied opinions and observations.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Some more....
  • Singleton ran right into the pile a couple of times a yard or two beyond the LOS which was like hitting a brick wall, when it looked like a 60 degree cut towards the middle of the field would have resulted in 2-5 additional yards for the play. Either his peripheral vision is poor or he is too programmed to look to the outside.
  • Hardy, Izzard and Vanover will each improve their position groups. Izzard may be our best DT, Hardy seems to be a difference maker and yesterday's INT was classic coverage and awareness, and Vanover is better against the run than most of the other DE's.
  • Carter seemed to have a better game yesterday than what he has had the first 2 games.
  • A pretty sloppy effort in some respects but still good enough for the win. Better to get a bad game out of the way winning than against Iowa, oh-high-ya, or UM where it might result in a loss.
  • The KO kicker is a stud who takes opposing KO returners out of the game, pretty much like in the recent PSU past. Is he also the punter that kicks 65 yards but isn't consistent enough to put regularly as of yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Parf and psu00

Carter and other LBs are often blitzing. Diaz mixes it up but I disagree that they usually drop 15-20 yds into coverage.

And it's not just this game. Jacobs has 9 tackles in 3 games. Carter has 6 tackles in 3 games. It might be scheme but it's not because they're usually dropping back.

Last edited:
I wasn't surprised with how tough the game was. Kansas spread illinois out on defense, and the QB got rid of the ball fast.

Number 4 on Illinois defense was/is an incredible talent. I remember one play he beat a double team and made the tackle in our backfield.

I didn't see much talk about Drew hitting his throwing hand on a defender, it looked really bad. He did make some nice throws after that though.

I wasn't surprised with how tough the game was. Kansas spread illinois out on defense, and the QB got rid of the ball fast.

Number 4 on Illinois defense was/is an incredible talent. I remember one play he beat a double team and made the tackle in our backfield.

I didn't see much talk about Drew hitting his throwing hand on a defender, it looked really bad. He did make some nice throws after that though.
And I think #4 knocked down two of Drews passes which I didn't think we'd have a problem with this year

The question is why didn't we spread the Illinois defense out? It seemed like we kept trying to run between the tackles and hope for better execution.

We did have success spreading the field by throwing to Singleton and also the TD pass from Potts. Not much of that though.

Hopefully Allar will be fine for Iowa.

The siren that played from the stands before our snap counts annoyed the hell out of me and probably our players too. Crowd noise is one think but that was like someone hitting a fog horn when you're trying to putt. Should not be allowed

Defense

Offense

Special Teams
Izzard had 2 sacks? Love it

Reactions: psuno1
Defense

Offense

Special Teams
I started re watching last night. No. 71 is a definite upgrade at guard

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Red zone efficiency and overall offensive efficiency made the game closer than the dominance some seem to expect week in, week out.

I could be wrong and perhaps we just aren't a great offense yet and that was about what we will see all year, but I think we played this way on purpose to see how Allar would play vs pressure. This is the only opportunity to prepare for Michigan-like pressure before hand. It was a lot of bad looks, but it's film to work off of.

Carter and other LBs are often blitzing. Diaz mixes it up but I disagree that they usually drop 15-20 yds into coverage.

And it's not just this game. Jacobs has 9 tackles in 3 games. Carter has 6 tackles in 3 games. It might be scheme but it's not because they're usually dropping back.
Reading is fundamental and so is writing. Usually, does not apply to single game or single half strategies or stats. 🤔? Take a breath then try again.

I'll have to rewatch the game, but I came away thinking that there were a few plays where our corners did not get turned while in man coverage (a la Dixon's interception). I would have expected this to be rather fundamental as a receiver starts to make a play on the ball. Probably could have had even more interceptions. A better quarterback/receiver combo (Michigan) is going to beat them, or force a penalty, if they are not coached up about this.

I started re watching last night. No. 71 is a definite upgrade at guard

People assumed Tengwall wasn't going to be a loss, but he seemed to work well with Olu last year. Vega is bigger than Nelson, curious how much that had to do with fending off #4 or was it technique?

Additionally, I sometimes think I'd rather have ANYONE in the T formation than Dinkins (our thinnest, WR-esqe TE on the roster that isn't a Tr Fr). Potts gives us a dive option. Put Shelton as RTE and put Warren in Dinkins spot as FB. Something. Thoughts there?

• Haha
Reactions: psu1969a
People assumed Tengwall wasn't going to be a loss, but he seemed to work well with Olu last year. Vega is bigger than Nelson, curious how much that had to do with fending off #4 or was it technique?

Additionally, I sometimes think I'd rather have ANYONE in the T formation than Dinkins (our thinnest, WR-esqe TE on the roster that isn't a Tr Fr). Potts gives us a dive option. Put Shelton as RTE and put Warren in Dinkins spot as FB. Something. Thoughts there?

According to our roster, Dinkins is 6'4" at 245 lbs. Warren is 6'6" at 257 and Johnson is 6'6" at 260. I'm not seeing a stark difference in "girth" there. Numbers not up to date?

According to our roster, Dinkins is 6'4" at 245 lbs. Warren is 6'6" at 257 and Johnson is 6'6" at 260. I'm not seeing a stark difference in "girth" there. Numbers not up to date?

They are probably accurate; it just doesn't appear that Dinkins is as strong of a blocker as his counterparts. Strange was the best blocker last year and I feel like he should have been replaced with the best on the roster.

Red zone efficiency and overall offensive efficiency made the game closer than the dominance some seem to expect week in, week out.

I could be wrong and perhaps we just aren't a great offense yet and that was about what we will see all year, but I think we played this way on purpose to see how Allar would play vs pressure. This is the only opportunity to prepare for Michigan-like pressure before hand. It was a lot of bad looks, but it's film to work off of.
I don't think the offense played that way on purpose with the score was 16-7 late in the 3rd quarter.

I expect Iowa to provide just as much pressure as Illinois.

Reactions: lazydave841
I don't think the offense played that way on purpose with the score was 16-7 late in the 3rd quarter.

I expect Iowa to provide just as much pressure as Illinois.

How many Bubble Screens did we run? How often did we run into 8 man boxes without checking out? The few checks I remember, we checked into runs. Threw 1 screen to Allen. Should have been a TD, but our lineman tackled him. Any quick slants? Any quick throws beyond the drops by McClain?

You may be correct. Maybe Yurcich just called a bad game and our offense just wasn't very efficient.

Iowa will be fun. I'm excited. I'm shocked we are favored so much.

Reactions: psuno1 and bdgan
And I think #4 knocked down two of Drews passes which I didn't think we'd have a problem with this year
Right. Last year the 'experts' on this board said that the batted passes were due 100% to clifford and we were told that problem would be solved if Allar was playing.

Reactions: 81b&w
What scares you about Iowa? Defensive numbers inflated by playing in the Big Ten west? They can't play man vs. our WR's because they aren't athletic enough to do it. As long as Allar is accurate, we should pick apart that zone. Yeah, they'll get home with their twists and stunts every so often but big deal. It's not like they are going to score many points. Should be a comfortable win. But again, comfortable is in the eye of the beholder.
How many Bubble Screens did we run? How often did we run into 8 man boxes without checking out? The few checks I remember, we checked into runs. Threw 1 screen to Allen. Should have been a TD, but our lineman tackled him. Any quick slants? Any quick throws beyond the drops by McClain?

You may be correct. Maybe Yurcich just called a bad game and our offense just wasn't very efficient.

Reactions: 81b&w
What scares you about Iowa? Defensive numbers inflated by playing in the Big Ten west? They can't play man vs. our WR's because they aren't athletic enough to do it. As long as Allar is accurate, we should pick apart that zone. Yeah, they'll get home with their twists and stunts every so often but big deal. It's not like they are going to score many points. Should be a comfortable win. But again, comfortable is in the eye of the beholder.

Nothing scary about them. I don't think they have a DT as disruptive as Newton (I don't think anybody in the Big 10 does). I think the most dangerous thing they will do is play slow. They will have the patience to test our middle defense and gladly play field position and hope for an Allar overthrow.

I think we come out fast. I think we erase the bad taste leftover from Illinois.

Any way to get Warren more involved I am in favor of. Really like how he plays, great blocker, super athletic, good hands. Good things seem to happen when he is involved. An NFL team will do well to draft him high.

Nothing scary about them. I don't think they have a DT as disruptive as Newton (I don't think anybody in the Big 10 does). I think the most dangerous thing they will do is play slow. They will have the patience to test our middle defense and gladly play field position and hope for an Allar overthrow.

I think we come out fast. I think we erase the bad taste leftover from Illinois.
I see us coming out with a ton of energy from the White Out and pouncing on the Hawks. They won't be able to do much on offense and Allar will bounce back.

Allar obviously had a sub par performance but remember NO turnovers. No killer mistakes that could have kept the Illini close until the end. This is critical. And he had some drops to overcome. He is a true Soph starting his 3rd game. Look for him to bounce back vs Iowa. The White Out crowd will lift him big time.

Reactions: psuno1 and bdgan
Allar obviously had a sub par performance but remember NO turnovers. No killer mistakes that could have kept the Illini close until the end. This is critical. He will learn from his mistakes and get better and better.
And he had some drops to overcome. He is a true Soph starting his 3rd game. Look for him to bounce back vs Iowa. The White Out crowd will lift him big time.

Reactions: royboy
I'll have to rewatch the game, but I came away thinking that there were a few plays where our corners did not get turned while in man coverage (a la Dixon's interception). I would have expected this to be rather fundamental as a receiver starts to make a play on the ball. Probably could have had even more interceptions. A better quarterback/receiver combo (Michigan) is going to beat them, or force a penalty, if they are not coached up about this.
Hard to be disappointed with the secondary when we had 4 Interceptions.

That was the TOTAL number of interceptions for the (9 game, Covid affected) 2020 season.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Defense

Offense

Special Teams
You said,
However, he kicked a perfect no-doubter from 45 yards. 45 yards is not short yardage, IMO. It was the 52 yard attempt that was blocked.

Give me a kicker who is money from 45 yards in all day long. I believe our kicking questions appear to be answered.

Reactions: doctornick
Hard to be disappointed with the secondary when we had 4 Interceptions.

That was the TOTAL number of interceptions for the (9 game, Covid affected) 2020 season.

Always looking for areas to improve if you want to rise to the top. Disappointment only comes when results don't meet expectations. It's not the same thing.

Reactions: bdgan
You said,
However, he kicked a perfect no-doubter from 45 yards. 45 yards is not short yardage, IMO. It was the 52 yard attempt that was blocked.

Give me a kicker who is money from 45 yards in all day long. I believe our kicking questions appear to be answered.
That 52 yarder would have been good as well if 4 dose not get is big mit on it.

Simply compare this year after 3 games vs. last year after three games. This team, with all this talent, is not at the same place after playing a weaker schedule.

Yeah I agree it was a bad game by Yurcich. The drive to put us up 23-7 is what we should have been doing the entire game. Was the first well called drive.

I agree about the need for a larger player to replace Dinkins in that formation. Doesn't seem to get any push.

Simply compare this year after 3 games vs. last year after three games. This team, with all this talent, is not at the same place after playing a weaker schedule.
Clifford played like garbage vs. Purdue. After our first three games we had lackluster performances vs. Central Michigan and Northwestern. I think anyone can reasonably see we look better and deeper this year vs. last.

Reactions: royboy
First three games in 2022 were @Purdue, Ohio, and @Auburn. The team was better at this stage a year ago then they went into a funk vs. CMU, NW and @ scUM.... after an open date. Lets hope they are ascending this year.

First three games in 2022 were @Purdue, Ohio, and @Auburn. The team was better at this stage a year ago then they went into a funk vs. CMU, NW and @ scUM.... after an open date. Lets hope they are ascending this year.

Better in what way? Purdue almost beat us. Auburn was close for a half. Our RBs had better stats last year but overall I think we are better at this stage this year than last.

Just curious on what you feel, just more in depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT