ADVERTISEMENT

Some Peach Bowl Stats

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
I’ve only seen Ole Miss play twice this year; once against Arkansas and once in the Egg Bowl. They seemed fine, but not super scary. I thought I’d look at some key stats to get a better feel for them as a team:

Ole Miss allowed 26 sacks. Similar number to UMD. PSU had six sacks against UMD.

Ole Miss is 121st in the country in terms of least penalties per game (7.4 penalties per game). PSU is 25th (4.92).

Ole Miss is 67th in rush yards allowed per game (151 ypg). This is similar to Michigan State. Both Allen and Singleton rushed for over 100 yards against MSU.

For turnover margin, Ole Miss is +9 (pretty good, ranked 12th) to PSU’s +18 (ranked #1). Interestingly, they’ve lost about the same number (7 to 6) but PSU creates more turnovers.

Finally, Ole Miss’ offense is being talked up as elite: they are scoring 35 ppg.

For some reason, PSU offense is being criticized while they are scoring 37 ppg.

Something doesn’t add up there.

I’ve only seen Ole Miss play twice this year; once against Arkansas and once in the Egg Bowl. They seemed fine, but not super scary. I thought I’d look at some key stats to get a better feel for them as a team:

Ole Miss allowed 26 sacks. Similar number to UMD. PSU had six sacks against UMD.

Ole Miss is 121st in the country in terms of least penalties per game (7.4 penalties per game). PSU is 25th (4.92).

Ole Miss is 67th in rush yards allowed per game (151 ypg). This is similar to Michigan State. Both Allen and Singleton rushed for over 100 yards against MSU.

For turnover margin, Ole Miss is +9 (pretty good, ranked 12th) to PSU’s +18 (ranked #1). Interestingly, they’ve lost about the same number (7 to 6) but PSU creates more turnovers.

Finally, Ole Miss’ offense is being talked up as elite: they are scoring 35 ppg.

The only offensive numbers ppl consider for us are Osu and um. Ole Miss scored 10 on Bama and 17 on UGA.

Ole Miss struggled offensively against Bama and Georgia. Same as us vs Michigan and Ohio State. Both teams have inflated offensive numbers against bad teams. Neither are elite.

Ole Miss though didn't fire their OC which is an indication that the offense isn't deemed good enough.

The rest of what you wrote looks good but seems like you're only looking for reasons we're better unless you believe nothing indicates Ole Miss can win if everyone plays and both teams care.

The only offensive numbers ppl consider for us are Osu and um. Ole Miss scored 10 on Bama and 17 on UGA.
I get that but OSU and UM are two elite defenses.
UM is #1 in the country is scoring defense, OSU is #2.

Ole Miss is 34 giving up about 10 points more per game than OSU and UM.

Additionally, Georgia and Alabama (while good) give up 7 and 11 points more per game than UM and OSU do.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I get that but OSU and UM are two elite defenses.
UM is #1 in the country is scoring defense, OSU is #2.

Ole Miss is 34 giving up about 10 points more per game than OSU and UM.

Additionally, Georgia and Alabama (while good) give up 7 and 11 points more per game than UM and OSU do.

I agree with you. It's just that when discussing SEC teams, one must discuss them in only the most flattering of light. When discussing us, you must find the ugliest way to present information and go with that.

It's a shame there are going to be opt outs (and its almost a shame OSU is shedding a ton of players) because I'd expect us and OSU to win fairly easily against Ole Miss and Mizzou at full strength.

Paterno was pretty successful in beating the SEC in bowl games; I recall us beating Tennessee three times, LSU twice, and Kentucky and Georgia once each when he was coach. However, under Franklin, PSU has lost all of the SEC bowl games to Georgia, Kentucky and Arkansas. It would be nice for one of his teams to win one of these SEC bowl games.

I agree with you. It's just that when discussing SEC teams, one must discuss them in only the most flattering of light. When discussing us, you must find the ugliest way to present information and go with that.

It's a shame there are going to be opt outs (and its almost a shame OSU is shedding a ton of players) because I'd expect us and OSU to win fairly easily against Ole Miss and Mizzou at full strength.
I'm sure that Ole Miss will have opt outs too; at least PSU is a fairly young team.

I'm sure that Ole Miss will have opt outs too; at least PSU is a fairly young team.

Agreed. Just meant it from the Full Strength against Full Strength perspective. Everything is minimized these days.

Agreed. Just meant it from the Full Strength against Full Strength perspective. Everything is minimized these days.
Yeah, at full strength, I believe that our defense has the ponetial to overwhelm an offense like Ole Miss runs. In a bowl game, I'd rather have the better defense rather than the better offense, because the offensive continuity has to suffer after a four to five week layoff.

I watched the Ole Miss-MSU game on Thanksgiving night, and a below average MSU gave them a very good game and only gave up 17 points to them.

The second biggest issue with PSUs offense is we crapped our pants in two of the biggests games, biggest hyped games, and highest ranked games which the entire country watched. THe second biggest issue with the PSU offense is we suck.

Reactions: AvgUser
The second biggest issue with PSUs offense is we crapped our pants in two of the biggests games, biggest hyped games, and highest ranked games which the entire country watched. THe second biggest issue with the PSU offense is we suck.
Again, the two biggest games were against the #1 and #2 defenses in the country.

If the 12 scoring offense in the country sucks, is it your opinion that all but 11 offenses (or fewer) in the entire country suck?

The only teams that played OSU closer were Notre Dame and Michigan (L).

The only teams that played Michigan closer were Maryland and OSU (although functionally those were the same scores (1 TD) as PSU).

Even though the conference is seven and nine versus power 5 programs outside of their s***** little seven game in conference schedule. Pathetic!

Did the poo smell? Was gas passed?

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Ole Miss struggled offensively against Bama and Georgia. Same as us vs Michigan and Ohio State. Both teams have inflated offensive numbers against bad teams. Neither are elite.

Bama must not be elite either. They scored twice as many points vs Middle Tennessee and Chattanooga than they did vs Georgia.

Bama must not be elite either. They scored twice as many points vs Middle Tennessee and Chattanooga than they did vs Georgia.
That comp doesn't make sense but Bama's offense was garbage at the beginning of the year. We'll see how they do vs. Michigan

Parch Bowl is the only NY6 Bowl PSU hasn't won - they have won ll the other 5 - when we win we will be the only team to have won all 6.

Parch Bowl is the only NY6 Bowl PSU hasn't won - they have won ll the other 5 - when we win we will be the only team to have won all 6.
Indeed. There’s a bunch of schools that also have won 5 of the 6 but hope we can be the first for all of them. Typically the one missing for most teams are the Peach or the Rose.

Miami(FL) is missing a Fiesta win. I think we know why. 😁

Reactions: PSU2UNC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT