ADVERTISEMENT

Snap Infraction?

Petch

Mar 28, 2012
Looked like that first one was just a horrible snap. OSU Center didn’t double clutch it or anything. He just rolled it back there and OSU was gifted that penalty. PSU recovered that in great position to score. Could’ve been the difference in the game.

Of course, conveniently overlooked by Herbie….barely a mention…just once by Fowler, I think. If that was PSU, Herbie would’ve brought it up throughout the game, complete with multiple replays from various angles. He’s such a passive aggressive Buckeye homer.

Looked like that first one was just a horrible snap. OSU Center didn’t double clutch it or anything. He just rolled it back there and OSU was gifted that penalty. PSU recovered that in great position to score. Could’ve been the difference in the game.

Of course, conveniently overlooked by Herbie….barely a mention…just once by Fowler, I think. If that was PSU, Herbie would’ve brought it up throughout the game, complete with multiple replays from various angles. He’s such a passive aggressive Buckeye homer.
"Mr. Physicality" shouldn't be allowed to call Buckeye games. The schtick gets old.

Just another in a long line of made up penalties by the Big10…we may see that called again in 2037

I don't understand the rule at all but I agree that he did snap the ball, it just didn't get to the QB so why is it a snap infraction?

I found a lot of “what if” scenarios, but can’t find a definitive explanation of a “snap infraction.” From what I could find, however, it sounds to me as if what happened was a legal, albeit bad, snap as long as the ball wasn’t moved forward first.

Last edited:
Didn't the "snap" brush the ankle of the guard? I think so. Maybe that's what made it a pen.
It was snapped, rolled on the ground and then left guards foot did hit it, but that doesn’t matter.

the whistle was blown to signal all subs were in and the ball was snapped quickly , but the entire offense was set so it should have been a live ball.

It was snapped, rolled on the ground and then left guards foot did hit it, but that doesn’t matter.

the whistle was blown to signal all subs were in and the ball was snapped quickly , but the entire offense was set so it should have been a live ball.
It gives the officials something to call in case OSU’s center snaps one over the QB’s head in future games. They like to experiment against PSU. They even called it again to make it look legit.

I found a lot of “what if” scenarios, but can’t find a definitive explanation of a “snap infraction.” From what I could find, however, it sounds to me as if what happened was a legal, albeit bad, snap as long as the ball wasn’t moved forward first.
Per the rule book….“A snap infraction is a dead ball penalty that occurs when the center simulates a snap or moves the ball after touching other than when snapping it. ... If he moves before the snap, it is a false start, like any other player. If he makes some movement with the ball, other than a snap, it is a snap infraction”

So by definition, that was NOT a snap infraction….it was 100% a fumble.

I spoke with someone I know who played center in HS and at a small college program. He said he was coached that as soon as the ball leaves the center’s hands it is a live ball. Hence - no penalty and fumble recovery by Penn State.

Per the rule book….“A snap infraction is a dead ball penalty that occurs when the center simulates a snap or moves the ball after touching other than when snapping it. ... If he moves before the snap, it is a false start, like any other player. If he makes some movement with the ball, other than a snap, it is a snap infraction”

So by definition, that was NOT a snap infraction….it was 100% a fumble.
There is another part that covers the fact that it has to be a continuous movement (ie, and hitches or anything like that makes it illegal). I can only assume that’s what they were calling.

There is another part that covers the fact that it has to be a continuous movement (ie, and hitches or anything like that makes it illegal). I can only assume that’s what they were calling.
It was a continuous movement.

Reactions: A2Nit
I would agree with you....even if I don’t necessarily think that was correct.

Lovett stepped out on his own, before he was touched. Refs made the correct call there
Thought that was a good call too. It looked pretty clear at the time. I’m not sure they even touched each other.

Thought that was a good call too. It looked pretty clear at the time. I’m not sure they even touched each other.
Agree…at least on the Lovett play, the defender was forcing him to the sideline. The Lambert-Smith one just can’t happen, as there was no one forcing him out.

Speaking of ridiculous calls that you never see unless Penn State is playing Ohio State. What happened a few years back at beaver stadium, I believe it was on a punt and they called something like roughing the center on the snap and gave Ohio State a first down?

Speaking of ridiculous calls that you never see unless Penn State is playing Ohio State. What happened a few years back at beaver stadium, I believe it was on a punt and they called something like roughing the center on the snap and gave Ohio State a first down?

No, i think we were set to receive the punt and they called us for holding of their punt protector before the punt.....But yes, that was garbage

What's the difference between rolling it back or firing it over the QB's head? This was a gift to OSU. Just more BS from the B10

Yep. That actually happened. It may have been the game Mauti was tackled by an OSU lineman on a QB keeper. Couldn’t have possibly been missed by the striped idiots.

Waiting for the fudging Big 2(12) office to admit their officiating error…..3…..rats scourging around in Rosemont…..2….hell freezing over during global warming…..1.

Franklin’s making enough money, I just wish he’d have the balls to go ballistic on Tuesday re: the weekly hose-jobs given to his team.

So what if he gets fined or even was suspended for a game? BFD!

Just another bogus call in the favor of O$U vs PSU, just one of many in a Long Line of bogus calls to give an edge to OSU.

Just another bogus call in the favor of O$U vs PSU, just one of many in a Long Line of bogus calls to give an edge to OSU.
I challenge any Ohio State fan to name a similar call that went against OSU in the series. I’m not talking about a judgment call that just didn’t agree with… I’m talking about calls like a pass that clearly bounced off the ground (2003) with two refs looking at it, FG kicked four seconds after the play clock expired, loss of replay feed, snap infraction, roughing/holding the center on a punt, refs calling a TO for a team so they don’t get a penalty, etc. I’ll wait.

I challenge any Ohio State fan to name a similar call that went against OSU in the series. I’m not talking about a judgment call that just didn’t agree with… I’m talking about calls like a pass that clearly bounced off the ground (2003) with two refs looking at it, FG kicked four seconds after the play clock expired, loss of replay feed, snap infraction, roughing/holding the center on a punt, refs calling a TO for a team so they don’t get a penalty, etc. I’ll wait.
………crickets……..

Yes. You cannot hit the long snapper. However on that play the long snapper tried to cut block the PSU defender who basically just pushed him down to save his own knees. And was flagged for it. Ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT