ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

I do think the fact he is planning to meet with Cael will make some coaches nervous [insert typical jokes] A lot of kids Cael gets were leaning elsewhere at first and truthfully, sometimes they came out of nowhere (I had no idea PSU led for Facundo or Van Ness) He obviously knows the lineup situation at PSU and still plans to take a visit. I wouldn't rule out that visit never happens though. AKA he visits Michigan first then cancels the rest.

I'm obviously not counting on it. Now I feel like Christian Pyles talking like this trying to stir up drama and generate interest in a subject.
Reminds me of something a friend of mine who is a wrestling coach said. He had a kid recruited by Cael who was certain where he was going to school. Then "Michael Jordan walked in the door." He knows I played basketball. It is really that kind of effect. I think he is going to Michigan, but you never know if Cael really pushes. Thank God Cael can actually coach, unlike Michael.

If he visits, I’m sure it could also depend on if/when the rumored weight slide takes place. It would make a difference if you ask him for 1 more year at 65, then he, Starocci, and Brooks move up versus if you are telling him he’s a 65 for three years here. He might like the program enough for one more year of hard cuts if it’s really just a wrestling decision.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Where are we with the no contact visits? Has that been lifted or does it not apply in this situation?

TIFWIW, Poster on TOS (no idea if legit or not) state that Michigan is out, PSU/UNC battle with the good guys leading.

Reactions: roswelllion
The guy seems legit enough (member since 2005) and has previously cited he heard it was a done deal to Michigan and he works with a family member.

He also said something about "keeping an eye on Suriano" ... dude might have ties to Bergen Catholic.

I'll remain doubtful obviously but the guy doesn't seem like a troll.

Link? Went there and couldn't find it.
VIP information but long story short the poster previously said he works with a family member of Shane and he heard Michigan was a done deal (this was tournament time) He posted he's now heard Michigan is the school that's in fact out and PSU has a slight lead over UNC. He also said he heard some interesting things on Nick Suriano so keep an eye on him.

This feels like the equivalent of BrucePa saying Spencer Lee wants out of Iowa last year though.

VIP information but long story short the poster previously said he works with a family member of Shane and he heard Michigan was a done deal (this was tournament time) He posted he's now heard Michigan is the school that's in fact out and PSU has a slight lead over UNC. He also said he heard some interesting things on Nick Suriano so keep an eye on him.

This feels like the equivalent of BrucePa saying Spencer Lee wants out of Iowa last year though.

Griffith 174 to Michigan out = Massa back?

(or did I miss any previous Massa news?)

That's clearly a lie -- nothing is interesting about Suriano until it actually happens. Which more often than not doesn't happen.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
That's clearly a lie -- nothing is interesting about Suriano until it actually happens. Which more often than not doesn't happen.
100% don't buy anything with Suriano but the guy might not be talking about us. I'm taking a "I'll believe it when I see it approach" with Griffith, thought it was interesting because this guy did post during the Finals thread on 247 that he works with a family member of Shane who said he is going to Michigan for sure. Then he reposted that today.

I could see Suriano giving NLWC a few months of effort/regret—it’s hard to imagine how frustrated he must be. Hard also to imagine him compete again in the NCAA, but who knows.

100% don't buy anything with Suriano but the guy might not be talking about us. I'm taking a "I'll believe it when I see it approach" with Griffith, thought it was interesting because this guy did post during the Finals thread on 247 that he works with a family member of Shane who said he is going to Michigan for sure. Then he reposted that today.
I mean, who knows, I have no info but the “PSU is out” narrative never made sense to me. The only given reason he was out was he wanted to go 174. Well then why were we ever in? He was standing next to Carter for the pictures he knew the deal.

If it was all about going 174 it wasn’t new information that we were full. It may be a preference, but putting us on the list says he would at least consider 165. Again who knows, he has lots of good options and three good states ones, but if he put us on the list I wouldn’t think he would throw us out two days later.

This. Until it's interesting (happens), it may or may not be intriguing (might happen). Or, one could just have intrigue fatigue with Suriano, and not really give a crap, either before or after it happens.

Does he have ANY relationship with Cael Sanderson at this point?

Would Cael take him back? What would that mean for Gilman at NLWC after this year?

I have a hard time believing that's remotely possible at this point. Also, he'd be forced to go 125, unless RBY and Lee bump up.

As of today from what I am hearing if Suriano wrestles again in college there is a good chance it will be where his college career started.
The only way that could seem even remotely possible is if he's willing to go back down to 125. With his FS aspirations, that would be his international competition weight, so it's possible. It would still greatly surprise me. But, I've been surprised before--like when I heard that Cael was going to be PSU's head coach!

As of today from what I am hearing if Suriano wrestles again in college there is a good chance it will be where his college career started.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like it isn't the most far-fetched idea in the world. The BIG issue, as another poster already highlighted, is would Cael be ok with having him back? Some of the things that I think WOULD stop this in its tracks:

Already an established young guy at the weight (Howard has a RS, not an issue there)
Staying for a period that would inhibit a coveted younger guy from committing (Steen is coming and has a RS, not an issue)
An irreparable relationship with staff (who knows about this one)

Not saying it will happen, I just initially thought, "No way in heck would staff do that". More I think on it, more I think it probably could work and not disrupt anything longer term.

If he visits, I’m sure it could also depend on if/when the rumored weight slide takes place. It would make a difference if you ask him for 1 more year at 65, then he, Starocci, and Brooks move up versus if you are telling him he’s a 65 for three years here. He might like the program enough for one more year of hard cuts if it’s really just a wrestling decision.
Beard gets no respect from some fans at all.

Sweet, marking down Suriano 125 and Griffith 165:

125 Suriano (2nd or 1st if Lee has surgery and shirts)
133 RBY (1st)
141 Lee (1st)
149 SVN (3rd)
157 BC (R12)
165 Griffith (1st)
174 C-Star (1st)
184 Brooks (1st)
197 Beard (4th)
Hwt Kerk (2nd)

I like it. Take that, Hawkeyes. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Does he have ANY relationship with Cael Sanderson at this point?

Would Cael take him back? What would that mean for Gilman at NLWC after this year?

I have a hard time believing that's remotely possible at this point. Also, he'd be forced to go 125, unless RBY and Lee bump up.
Gilman would have to notify Bob Suriano before attending practice.

Why do I have a very weird picture of Cael and suriano singing peaches an herb hit song reunited and feels so good.

tumblr_nb03dlWlOT1t1bu4po1_500.gif

Last edited:
Gilman would have to notify Bob Suriano before attending practice.
Cael, nick, Robbie, gilman....etc etc etc

The only thing that matters is bob suriano. Full stop.

Even then he does these trial balloons like a KGB agent to see the lay of the land and doesn't mean anything tangible.

Do people already forget the suriano saga....dig that thread up...OMG

#mindblown

Beard gets no respect from some fans at all.
I wouldn’t disagree. But we have heard the rumors and the rumors are more that Brooks will have to go up than anything about Beard. Who knows if/when that would be the case.

Cael, nick, Robbie, gilman....etc etc etc

The only thing that matters is bob suriano. Full stop.

Even then he does these trial balloons like a KGB agent to see the lay of the land and doesn't mean anything tangible.

Do people already forget the suriano saga....dig that thread up...OMG

#mindblown
Seems like the former members of the team really liked Nick and never have said a bad thing about him. I believe Cenzo raved about his grip strength being second to none in the prior Baschmania podcast with MrFastTwitch and AnttheChamp. It was a very "interesting" interview with MrFastTwitch and funny and somewhat uncomfortable for me listening at many times. But it is very cool to see how tight the fraternity of wrestlers really is across all of the schools. Go listen (or sign up to Rokfin and listen). The content is well worth it in my opinion with NLWC, Baschmania and Willie alone. Find out where MrFastTwitch Dad almost holds a world record in human anatomy (and son is close behind) o_O

Reactions: diggerpup
Seems like the former members of the team really liked Nick and never have said a bad thing about him. I believe Cenzo raved about his grip strength being second to none in the prior Baschmania podcast with MrFastTwitch and AnttheChamp.
There was a video of him in the tunnel after his championship, a couple of our guys came by to congratulate him and they seemed pretty chummy, Shak in particular. Doesn’t seem like any hard feelings from the wrestlers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT