ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

Not only am I swinging golf clubs, but bats as well in a local over-45 softball league. At 65 (almost), I'm not even the oldest on my team :eek:. Funny that by seasons end, we can barely field a team due to all the muscle injuries (pulled, strained, and torn) :(.
A few years ago, late 50s at the time I threw a golfing fit and tossed a 5 wood into a tree and it got stuck. I had to park the cart under a limb, climb onto cart roof, grab the limb pull myself up and snatch my club. As my buddies are laughing their collective asses off and recording the event, I dropped the club swung down the limb and dropped to the ground. With a defiant attitude I said, "what's important is not that I had to climb a tree to retrieve a club, but that I still can!"

Yes -- Michigan is always favorite in the preseason when it doesn't count.

In reality: not happening. Michigan scored 69 pts last year. Even if Micic returns and wins the national title, they're still 10+ pts behind OKST for 3rd.

Dean adds no points -- he would need to shirt so Amine can drop to 184 -- or else one of Amine or Brucki sits.

If Griffith goes 174, he would replace Massa (5th). Probably add some points, but not enough to sniff Iowa or PSU.

Woods + Griffith + Micic probably surpasses OKST. But they're still short of 1st and 2nd.

One key thing to consider also, Logan Massa scored 17 points this year placing 5th. He had a pin, a default and he got the forfeit for 5th over Romero. Is Griffith better than Massa? I'd say so but he could make the finals and it'd be the roughly the same amount of points as Massa this year. (Especially since Griffith isn't a big time bonuser and he will see some elite talents by QF)

We may be looking at the wrong school for Dean. Willie and Corby today were talking about him going to Sparty, and didn't mention Michigan.

Willie also thinks Woods could end up at OKST, though that seemed less solid.

Dean going to Sparty likely means that Myles Amine is coming back at 184 which is a better lineup than Dean at 184.

Reactions: jtothemfp
IMO, if SG takes his visits, we have a chance.
If Shane follows through on his visits (you never know, the kid might just visit Michigan then shut it down), you know Cael will clear his entire schedule that day to spend it with Shane. That scenario would likely make any coach worry.

Like I said in my post, the kid said he wants to focus on the right wrestling fit this time around since he picked Stanford for academics. Going off that, it sounds like PSU should have more than a punchers chance. But we have to remember, producing champs and having the NLWC might not make us the best wrestling fit either. Even if the kid is willing to go 165 one more year, he has 3 years of eligibility left. We have the 174 champ who has 4 years of eligibility left. If Carter doesn't want to move up to 184 ever, Griffith might be looking at 165 for the rest of his career. Also, what about Facundo? Seems audacious to talk about a HS senior being in the mind of a NCAA champ but if he reaches his potential (which is sky high I might add) like many of our studs have before him, that's another potential logjam. The kid can get great training at CKLV and him citing Dieringer definitely spoke volumes to me.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and Ja1339
November 2011 Minnesota laid an ass kicking on the defending national champions. The entire team looked hapless from the bottom position, including defending national champion Q Wright. The Saturday practice after, everybody got to do whistle starts until they got out. Quentin got to practice them with Matt Brown, for about an hour after everybody else had left practice. By the end of that year PSU had 5 in the finals and bottom wrestling was not much of an issue.

As hard as it is to believe, this particular staff knows a lot about a lot. They have ideas of ways to get things fixed. Hell occasionally during the past 11 years here in Happy Valley the staff has accidentally tripped over solutions. I imagine after reading this thread they are aware mat wrestling is part of college folkstyle and they have probably already contacted others for help in solving the problem.
LOL, nice pull on the coaching reactions to that dual!

I remembered this dual from Jake Deitschler outpointing Dylan Alton (and then Deitschler retiring & Alton placing 3rd), so went to look up the recap on PSWC: https://pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/read_news.php?id=1223. Gophers won 7 bouts, including over W's over our guys ranked 18, 11, 1, 10 & 4

I think these recaps were done by Pat Donghia back then? I dunno, but to your point, check out some of these lines in the boutbybout sections:

125: #18 Nico vs #2 Sanders:
Megaludis trailed 2-1 after one period and chose down to start the second period but could not break free of a strong Sanders ride. Megaludis continued to battle, looking for a chance to escape and tie the bout up, but Sanders was able to ride the Lion out.

133: Derek Reber vs #7 David Thorn:
Thorn got the riding time point and posted the 14-5 major.

141: Sam Sherlock vs #10 Dardanes:
Sherlock looked to connect on a single but Dardanes countered for another takedown to lead 14-4 with :36 and a clinched riding time point.

149: #1 Molinaro vs #5 Ness (turnabout!):
After a reset with :26 left, Molinaro fought to ride Ness out and led 2-0 with 2:01 in riding time after one.

157: #11 Dylan Alton vs #9 Deitschler:
He then got in on a single leg and forced a scramble that Deitchler turned into a takedown and a 3-3 tie with 1:15 on the clock. Alton worked for an escape as the period ended, but Deitchler was able to ride him out.

165: #1 DT TF #8 Cody Yohn, in 4:29

174: #2 Ruth pinned Eric Ortiz in 2:28

184: #6 Steinhaus vs #1 Q:
The Lion quickly escaped but a scramble allowed Steinhaus to work his way to a takedown and a 2-1 lead. Wright worked for an escape, but Steinhaus continued a strong ride, building up a minute-plus in riding time in the process. Steinhaus maintained control of the Lion All-American for the rest of the period and led 2-1 with 1:50 in riding time after two periods.

197: #2 Sonny Yohn vs #10 Smackintosh, who did not get ridden, but also didn't ride:
McIntosh chose down to start the second and quickly escaped to a 1-0 lead.
McIntosh working his way around for a takedown and a 3-1 lead with just :20 left. Yohn scrambled to an escape and quickly got in on a shot that ended with a takedown as the bout ended. The mad scramble gave the second-ranked Gopher a 4-3 win and put Minnesota up 20-14.

285: #3 Nelson vs #4 Cam Wade:
After a scoreless first period, Nelson chose down to start the second stanza and Wade went to work looking for a chance to turn the Gopher. But Nelson countered Wade's effort and reversed the Lion senior for a 2-0 lead at the 1:20 mark. Nelson then put together a strong ride and killed the clock. Wade, trailing 2-0, chose neutral to start the final period.

IMO, if SG takes his visits, we have a chance.
I hear you but we should have zero expectations, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

The difference between Michigan vs PSU MBA programs is several hundred thousand in career earnings, quite possibly $1M or more. (Stanford is a comparable step up from Michigan.)

Couple that with his desire to go 174, and PSU really should be the 3rd of 3 options.

Not only am I swinging golf clubs, but bats as well in a local over-45 softball league. At 65 (almost), I'm not even the oldest on my team :eek:. Funny that by seasons end, we can barely field a team due to all the muscle injuries (pulled, strained, and torn) :(.
Must feel good when at 50 they call you the "kid".

I think he should go to Iowa, that way they could get the 165 Champion they always wanted.

Why would the Dean 's leave, such a great program, great coach, not to mention the achademic prestige even if they got an undergrad degree?

Economics, any other scuttlebutt out there.

Why would the Dean 's leave, such a great program, great coach, not to mention the achademic prestige even if they got an undergrad degree?

I just read that Dean doesn't want to miss another season if the Ivy's decide to cancel the season again.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano

Rob Koll said that Max is leaving because he's concerned that the Ivy League might cancel the season again.
He also said that Gabe Dean is leaving coaching to join his father's business, and that Koll is looking for a replacement assistant coach.

In addition to the (perceived?) risk of the Ivy League canceling 2022 ...

Ivy League does not allow grad student athletes. So if Dean stays for grad school, his NCAA career is over. And he has 2 yrs of NCAA eligibility remaining.

I'm not sure how close to graduation he is, but presumably close enough to finish by December. He has spent 3 yrs at Cornell + 2 yrs at Finger Lakes WC (i.e., the local community college).

Also, some of the Ivies are not honoring the NCAA 2021 "free year." Princeton has told its athletes tough sh**, you lost that year. Not sure where Cornell sits with that policy, but that's potentially another lost year if he never transfers.

Reactions: Dogwelder
In addition to the (perceived?) risk of the Ivy League canceling 2022 ...

Ivy League does not allow grad student athletes. So if Dean stays for grad school, his NCAA career is over. And he has 2 yrs of NCAA eligibility remaining.

I'm not sure how close to graduation he is, but presumably close enough to finish by December. He has spent 3 yrs at Cornell + 2 yrs at Finger Lakes WC (i.e., the local community college).

Also, some of the Ivies are not honoring the NCAA 2021 "free year." Princeton has told its athletes tough sh**, you lost that year. Not sure where Cornell sits with that policy, but that's potentially another lost year if he never transfers.
Your information is incorrect.

Max Dean would be a junior next year, academically speaking. He spent one year at FLWC ("greyshirt"), where he likely earned only a few credits, then two years competing at Cornell, then an ORS then a COVID year. The last two years he was not enrolled at Cornell. He is not close to graduating.

The Ivy League used to have a "four in five" rule that required athletes to use their four years of eligibility in five years since matriculating. This year, they changed that to "four in six" to allow for this past year to not run afoul of the five year limitation.

The Ivy League granted all those whose sports were cancelled this year a non-participation waiver such that they would not lose *any* eligibility. Neither Cornell nor Princeton is fighting that. The issue with that is that they have to 1) be undergraduates to use that future eligibility 2) must make "reasonable progress" toward an undergraduate degree, and 3) finish their undergrad studies in six years since matriculating. So, any currently enrolled student might run out of time as enrolled students. The typical way for a wrestler (at least at Cornell) is to take off a fall semester to remain an undergraduate and satisfy the above requirements. Max Dean could do that easily if he even needed to (he can fit his two remaining years of eligibility into the "four in six" requirement, since he's only used four of those years), if he is less than two years of academic credits from graduating.

You may be confusing this with the one-time exemption the Ivy League is granting to current seniors: they will be allowed to wrestle as grad students next year *at their current institution*. The issue is that the exemption was granted after the deadlines for applying to grad school at Princeton had already passed, and the school apparently was not waiving those deadlines. So, any current Princeton senior was pretty much SOL. That's up to each Ivy League school to set their own rules about grad school.

Rob Koll mentioned that he hopes that one-time exemption is made permanent, so that guys don't have to not enroll as undergrads to keep their eligibility. He yesterday confirmed a lot of the above in response to questions I asked on the Cornell forum (http://bigredbears.com/forums/). You can go there to learn about where all the current Cornell guys and the recruits stand (hint: just about everyone will be back, and nobody loses eligibility (Darmstadt has to be careful not to graduate before using his two years of eligibility, since he wrestled two years and was enrolled this past year). For something crazy, the excellent class of 2019 (Ramirez, Foca, Cardenas, Fernandes (who was enrolled, so he'll need to take a semester or two off in the future)) who greyshirted and COVID-shirted, the excellent class of 2020 (Handlovic, Hatcher, etc.) who greyshirted *and* some of the excellent class of 2021 (Craft, Sokol) who will be true freshmen will all be enrolled freshmen next year! Ungar is deferring.

The Ivy League does put academics before athletics.

Last edited:
You were so grateful. Are you sure you never wrestled for Cael? :)
I have BSed with Cael and played golf once with Cael, but no I have not wrestled for nor learned to be as humble as most of those that have.
I was grateful to retrieve the club though, I. would have had to listen to grief about that forever

If he wants a school that matches Stanford, I doubt it. I don't know if American is good or not, but Stanford is literally the cream of the crop. Michigan makes more sense. Heck, Princeton, too.
Won't be an ivy as he's graduating from Stanford and they don't allow grad students to compete (not counting this year's seniors who they are making a one time exemption for).

Reactions: diggerpup
Won't be an ivy as he's graduating from Stanford and they don't allow grad students to compete (not counting this year's seniors who they are making a one time exemption for).
He also mentioned he is prioritizing a wrestling fit this time around over academics. Truthfully being an athlete of his caliber and having his story (winning the title as Stanford is cutting the program) while having a Stanford undergrad ... the kid can literally already do whatever he wants. Any job he can get from Michigan's MBA (which is elite btw) ... I venture a guess he could get that job right now if he wanted.

He fits Michigan's lineup perfectly. The kid is just good, he'll succeed anywhere and Michigan's coaching and training partners are fantastic. He has 1 loss in 2 years only for a reason and if he can do that at Stanford with everything they went through, he surely can continue it at MIchigan.

He also mentioned he is prioritizing a wrestling fit this time around over academics. Truthfully being an athlete of his caliber and having his story (winning the title as Stanford is cutting the program) while having a Stanford undergrad ... the kid can literally already do whatever he wants. Any job he can get from Michigan's MBA (which is elite btw) ... I venture a guess he could get that job right now if he wanted.

He fits Michigan's lineup perfectly. The kid is just good, he'll succeed anywhere and Michigan's coaching and training partners are fantastic. He has 1 loss in 2 years only for a reason and if he can do that at Stanford with everything they went through, he surely can continue it at MIchigan.
I would be shocked if he ends up anywhere but Michigan. Seems like a formality at this point.

I would be shocked if he ends up anywhere but Michigan. Seems like a formality at this point.
I do think the fact he is planning to meet with Cael will make some coaches nervous [insert typical jokes] A lot of kids Cael gets were leaning elsewhere at first and truthfully, sometimes they came out of nowhere (I had no idea PSU led for Facundo or Van Ness) He obviously knows the lineup situation at PSU and still plans to take a visit. I wouldn't rule out that visit never happens though. AKA he visits Michigan first then cancels the rest.

I'm obviously not counting on it. Now I feel like Christian Pyles talking like this trying to stir up drama and generate interest in a subject.

Does Michigan's MBA program take people without work experience?

I've had cousins go to Kellogg and Booth. Both of them "very strongly recommended" 2+ years of work experience.

Does Michigan's MBA program take people without work experience?

I've had cousins go to Kellogg and Booth. Both of them "very strongly recommended" 2+ years of work experience.
Typically no. But the typical applicant isn't a National Champion wrestler from Stanford.

I do think the fact he is planning to meet with Cael will make some coaches nervous [insert typical jokes] A lot of kids Cael gets were leaning elsewhere at first and truthfully, sometimes they came out of nowhere (I had no idea PSU led for Facundo or Van Ness) He obviously knows the lineup situation at PSU and still plans to take a visit. I wouldn't rule out that visit never happens though. AKA he visits Michigan first then cancels the rest.

I'm obviously not counting on it. Now I feel like Christian Pyles talking like this trying to stir up drama and generate interest in a subject.
The only reason I don't think he's coming to PSU is that by all accounts I've heard, he's set on 174 next year. If he was going to be at 165, I would assume Cael gets him until proven otherwise lol.

The only reason I don't think he's coming to PSU is that by all accounts I've heard, he's set on 174 next year. If he was going to be at 165, I would assume Cael gets him until proven otherwise lol.
I'm sure there are or have been discussions. Stay tuned. Stanford may still bring the program back in.

I'm sure there are or have been discussions. Stay tuned. Stanford may still bring the program back in.
I don't think so. Their coach just accepted the job at American. That's a pretty clear signal to me.

I don't think so. Their coach just accepted the job at American. That's a pretty clear signal to me.
It certainly doesn't help (since the admin has to redo a search which costs money) but keep in mind Borelli probably has been planning that forever. He has a family to support.

Does anyone think Griffin follows Borelli to American U.?
I think that might be an option. Especially when you consider how fast the American situation played out.
Borelli made American aware of potential to get Griffin if they acted fast on his hiring.

I think that might be an option. Especially when you consider how fast the American situation played out.
Borelli made American aware of potential to get Griffin if they acted fast on his hiring.
I'd be shocked if Shane goes to American. I also doubt American hired Borelli on some possibility of getting Shane Griffith.

It certainly doesn't help (since the admin has to redo a search which costs money) but keep in mind Borelli probably has been planning that forever. He has a family to support.
Its a wrestling coach, its not much money. Plus they could just hire Kerry McCoy.

Its a wrestling coach, its not much money. Plus they could just hire Kerry McCoy.
Standforit could just make Griffith a player/coach and save the money that they are so desperate to hold onto.
It's been done before.:mad:

Does anyone think Griffin follows Borelli to American U.?
Sure, in the same sense that Kyle Snyder considered American way back when.

And just like Snyder: why would he? It would be a serious downgrade in both wrestling and the MBA program.

The ONLY selling point is the head coach -- and literally only the head coach as Blake, Tirapelle, and Kerry have not yet indicated that they're joining Borrelli in DC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT