ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

I don’t think Cornell coming back next year hurts PSU much.

Unless Yianni and Nick Lee both go 149 or 141, I don’t see much “conflict” between the two teams at NCAAs. I guess Darmstadt could beat Beard, and Vito could beat Howard, but that’s about it on the front side.
Ivies returning probably helps us more than hurts us.

125 - Arujau, Glory: not predicting either beats Lee, but there is potential if Lee isn't healthy.
133 - no effect
141 - no effect
149 - Yianni: pushes both PSU and Iowa down
157 - Monday, Artalona: potential to push Young down; no effect on PSU since starter not settled
165 - Ramirez: potential to push PSU down (but not if Lee rights the ship); no effect on Iowa unless he gets the 8 seed
174 - no effect
184 - Foca: no effect on PSU; potential to push Iowa down
197 - Darmstadt: potential to push both PSU and Iowa down
HWT - no effect on PSU or Iowa (though Fernandes will be good, and could cause problems elsewhere in the bracket)

4 champs is about as perfect as you can do at those weights with the exception of additional bonus points. Without taking into consideration that those champs will probably up their bonus games next year, let's just simplify the view of the other 6 weights. Your guess is we need to average 5 additional points in each of those weights. That doesn't sound outlandish.
Reasonable, but perhaps too simplistic. First of all, becoming an individual champ is damn tough. Repeating is even tougher. While possible, it may be a bit unrealistic to expect all four PSU guys to repeat.

Regarding the idea of 5 more points in the other six weight classes:

125 - Possible, but not a given by any means. And 125 gets tougher next year with Glory and Vito.
149 - If SVN goes here, 10 or 12 points may be realistic
157 - ??? We don't even know who will be in the lineup here. Boone? Barraclough? Probably unreasonable to expect a whole lot from either.
165 - ??? Maybe Joe Lee figures it out, but right now he's a huge question mark. Shane Griffith may be a pipe dream (no idea), but man would he look good in the lineup and go a long way to help PSU catch Iowa.
197 - Maybe, but Beard will need to improve his gas tank IMO.
285 - Probably most realistic, assuming good health

This might sound dumb but is there a reason we are penciling in Van Ness at 149 when he's wrestling 138 today? Bartlett weighed in for the OSU dual at 148 and change and he was considered undersized. Maybe Van Ness is just making a huge cut to 138? He does have 6 months to pack on weight and the frame to handle it so that's probably why.

I’m really surprised he’s that light. Or capable of being that light.

It’s going to be hard to add 10lbs of functional muscle mass in 6-7 months time to a smaller guy. SVN might not be our guy at 149 this year like I thought. I thought he’d be all aboard the Cassar Gain Train. Apparently not.

I’m really surprised he’s that light. Or capable of being that light.

It’s going to be hard to add 10lbs of functional muscle mass in 6-7 months time to a smaller guy. SVN might not be our guy at 149 this year like I thought. I thought he’d be all aboard the Cassar Gain Train. Apparently not.
I'm not an expert but 10 pounds of functional muscle mass in 6 months doesn't sound that unreasonable. Cassar looked like he gained 20.

Also, I'm guessing Shayne is cutting a bit to get to 138. He wrestled 65KG (143) as well.

Reactions: El-Jefe
This might sound dumb but is there a reason we are penciling in Van Ness at 149 when he's wrestling 138 today? Bartlett weighed in for the OSU dual at 148 and change and he was considered undersized. Maybe Van Ness is just making a huge cut to 138? He does have 6 months to pack on weight and the frame to handle it so that's probably why.
Van Ness may have wrestled at 138 lbs, but what is his normal walking around weight?

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but 10 pounds of functional muscle mass in 6 months doesn't sound that unreasonable. Cassar looked like he gained 20.

Also, I'm guessing Shayne is cutting a bit to get to 138. He wrestled 65KG (143) as well.
Most of that can be gained in the summer, in a supervised college strength program.

Of course he can't be in a supervised college strength program until he's an college athlete. So it'll have to wait at least until after spring semester.

It’s not dumb but if Nick Lee goes 141 again who is most likely to score points at 149 in a tight race?? Have Bartlett go 149 again and RS SVN?

It’s not dumb but if Nick Lee goes 141 again who is most likely to score points at 149 in a tight race?? Have Bartlett go 149 again and RS SVN?
I think the big thing is it's pretty clear SVN has a way better frame for 149 than Bartlett. Bartlett can obviously add weight too but will it make him worse at other equally important items (like his explosiveness) SVN is just definitely not a full sized 149 right now. That can easily be addressed though I've realized. Bartlett is likely a career 141 and will get that spot once Nick graduates.

Agree, Bartlett may be a career 141 while Van Ness has the frame to add weight as he matures; could be a 157 before all is said and done.

Cassar was making a large weight cut to make 197; probably only gained about 10 pounds from his off season walking around weight to go heavy.

I don’t think Cornell coming back next year hurts PSU much.

Unless Yianni and Nick Lee both go 149 or 141, I don’t see much “conflict” between the two teams at NCAAs. I guess Darmstadt could beat Beard, and Vito could beat Howard, but that’s about it on the front side.
I was thinking more about this in terms of causing some of the Iowa guys lower. Hopefully Nick has solved the Yianni riddle as shown at OTT. Maybe Yianni pushes Eirman down to 3rd and other similar effects.

No need to juice to gain 10 lbs of muscle in 4-6 mths, but also depends on persons body/frame. Have to be dedicated to the weights. 6 day lifting regiment and proper diet.

10 pounds of pure muscle in 6 months isn't happening unless the kid is growing.
While a 400 pound bench is nice, concentrate instead on squats, deadlifts and some sort of clean movement. Anything that incorporates as many large muscle groups as possible.

Ivies returning probably helps us more than hurts us.

125 - Arujau, Glory: not predicting either beats Lee, but there is potential if Lee isn't healthy.
133 - no effect
141 - no effect
149 - Yianni: pushes both PSU and Iowa down
157 - Monday, Artalona: potential to push Young down; no effect on PSU since starter not settled
165 - Ramirez: potential to push PSU down (but not if Lee rights the ship); no effect on Iowa unless he gets the 8 seed
174 - no effect
184 - Foca: no effect on PSU; potential to push Iowa down
197 - Darmstadt: potential to push both PSU and Iowa down
HWT - no effect on PSU or Iowa (though Fernandes will be good, and could cause problems elsewhere in the bracket)
That was my point exactly. Thanks for spelling it out El-Jefe.

Got beat by some kid I’ve never heard of at club duals. Too much of a cut?

He’s looked a bit rough the last couple weeks.

Got beat by some kid I’ve never heard of at club duals. Too much of a cut?

He’s looked a bit rough the last couple weeks.
Just cause you've never heard of the kid doesn't mean he isn't any good. He's 8th at 138 on @smalls103 board. If you don't bring your A game against a kid that good looking to prove himself, you might catch a beating.

That being said yeah SVN shouldn't lose like that to him. A lot of things happen in wrestling that shouldn't happen. I'm not remotely worried.

I was thinking more about this in terms of causing some of the Iowa guys lower. Hopefully Nick has solved the Yianni riddle as shown at OTT. Maybe Yianni pushes Eirman down to 3rd and other similar effects.

There is a perfect example of how an Ivy kid can change the whole complexion of a weight class. If Yianni is the 2 seed and Eirman 4, who would you put as favorite to make the National final? So, now you have Eirman placing 3rd or 4th instead of 2nd. Yianni being the one seed and Lee and Eirman on the other side of the bracket changes thing even more.

If Suriano comes back I'm going to walk into the sea.

I put this rumor in the "I will believe it when I see it category", but if Suriano does not have his degree and wants to transfer, then PSU or going to a lower division may be his only choices due to the NCAA rules on academic progress. He may not be able to transfer enough credits from 2 schools to a 3rd school at this point in his academic career to be eligible at another D1 school.

The rumor was that one of the reasons that Suriano transferred out was because he wanted to be "The Man". Coming back to a school with 4 returning champions may not make him The Man, but coming back and being what PSU needs to put them over the top and beat Iowa for the National Championship in 2022 may make him enough of a hero in his and his father's eyes for him to consider doing it.

$.01, because my opinion here probably isn't worth $.02.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I put this rumor in the "I will believe it when I see it category", but if Suriano does not have his degree and wants to transfer, then PSU or going to a lower division may be his only choices due to the NCAA rules on academic progress. He may not be able to transfer enough credits from 2 schools to a 3rd school at this point in his academic career to be eligible at another D1 school.

The rumor was that one of the reasons that Suriano transferred out was because he wanted to be "The Man". Coming back to a school with 4 returning champions may not make him The Man, but coming back and being what PSU needs to put them over the top and beat Iowa for the National Championship in 2022 may make him enough of a hero in his and his father's eyes for him to consider doing it.

$.01, because my opinion here probably isn't worth $.02.
Could be wrong in my assumption and understanding, however the NCAA just granted a new rule to allow a “free pass” when transferring now with no exceptions. So i would assume that academics don’t necessarily matter with this new rule

Sounds good, we are looking for a backup 133 behind the National Champ. Cmon back Nick for some depth in the room

There is a perfect example of how an Ivy kid can change the whole complexion of a weight class. If Yianni is the 2 seed and Eirman 4, who would you put as favorite to make the National final? So, now you have Eirman placing 3rd or 4th instead of 2nd. Yianni being the one seed and Lee and Eirman on the other side of the bracket changes thing even more.
Why would you assume Eirman is the 4 seed? Nick is the returning champ. If he goes undefeated through the regular season and BIGs, then he gets the 1 and Yianni 2, Eirman 3.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Could be wrong in my assumption and understanding, however the NCAA just granted a new rule to allow a “free pass” when transferring now with no exceptions. So i would assume that academics don’t necessarily matter with this new rule
I think it's 2 separate things since we're talking about being academically eligible at this point vs transfer waivers. That actually would add up to why Nick would consider PSU again (which I'd have put the odds at that in 2018 at 1 in a trillion)

C’mon cuz... I know it’s the off-season... where big dreams are made... and big rumors make big dreams seem believable... but Suriano back to PSU isn’t even a bad troll job. He hated everything about his time at PSU.

C’mon cuz... I know it’s the off-season... where big dreams are made... and big rumors make big dreams seem believable... but Suriano back to PSU isn’t even a bad troll job. He hated everything about his time at PSU.
I'd agree if it was anybody but bopper1988 who posted it. His NJ track record (Suriano and Seabass to Rutgers, SVN to PSU after saying Cornell led early) is impeccable. It doesn't mean it's happening and he even chose his words carefully (IF Suriano wrestles in college again and there's a CHANCE) but he is the furthest thing from a troll. This was corroborated by 2 247 posters also.

Was 29 did a 6 day bulgaria power lifting team routine for 5mths couldnt do total deit just couldnt eat that much lol. Went from 208 to. 225 lost most my beer belly (not that it was big) went up a pants size.

I'd agree if it was anybody but bopper1988 who posted it. His NJ track record (Suriano and Seabass to Rutgers, SVN to PSU after saying Cornell led early) is impeccable. It doesn't mean it's happening and he even chose his words carefully (IF Suriano wrestles in college again and there's a CHANCE) but he is the furthest thing from a troll. This was corroborated by 2 247 posters also.
Im just saying that the things I’ve heard about Nick’s time here, I’d say Lloyd Christmas has a better chance with Mary Swanson than Suriano does at returning to PSU. 😂

Im just saying that the things I’ve heard about Nick’s time here, I’d say Lloyd Christmas has a better chance with Mary Swanson than Suriano does at returning to PSU. 😂
Lmao I'm with you, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Just wanted to give bopper his credit due, he deserves it.

Prior to PSU, he may never have left New Jersey. Now, he's been to Arizona, Europe and elsewhere. Maybe now he understands that SC wasn't such a bad place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT