ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

Yes -- Michigan is always favorite in the preseason when it doesn't count.

So true. I was bitten by the bug last preseason. Massa looked unstoppable in freestyle, Micic was coming back, etc etc. I think I’ve learned my lesson, until they actually exceed expectations.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Dean adds no points -- he would need to shirt so Amine can drop to 184 -- or else one of Amine or Brucki sits.
If Dean doesn't compete next year, that would be

1) greyshirt
2) competition
3) competition
4) ORS
5) COVID-cancelled season
6) RS
7) Junior
8) Senior

Can't see that happening, can you? He'd be like 26 when he graduated!

Oh, and there's some discussion that Max wouldn't have beaten Foca for the starting 184 spot next year (just talk at this point).

If Dean doesn't compete next year, that would be

1) greyshirt
2) competition
3) competition
4) ORS
5) COVID-cancelled season
6) RS
7) Junior
8) Senior

Can't see that happening, can you? He'd be like 26 when he graduated!

Oh, and there's some discussion that Max wouldn't have beaten Foca for the starting 184 spot next year (just talk at this point).
That's why God invented grad school.

Regardless, point still stands: only 2 out of (Dean + Amine + Brucki) can compete this year. So adding Dean does not add points to their lineup vs. what they already had on hand.

Dean and Brucki both have shirts remaining, so I guess they could start Dean and sit Brucki. But that's marginal.

Either scenario does add points to 184 vs. their 2021 non-qualifier, so that could put them in range for #2 -- or in range for #1 with a number of breaks and injuries. Again, assuming Micic + Woods + Griffith, Ragusin holds 125, everybody improves, etc.

Last edited:
He committed to the wrong school.

Sat behind Brands all year, maybe injured, he is better IMO and should start for them next year.
Assad is quite the talent but I do remember thinking when he committed that I'd be leary of a kid that was at one point burned out from the sport and ready to give it up which was the case while he was in highschool.

165 emptying out sure looks good for the Hawkeyes...of course, it also opens the door for other wrestlers too. One of these can be Joe Lee. It might actually help PSU narrow the gap a bit, even if Marinelli goes to the top of the podium, who is to say an improved Joe Lee gets a 5th or 6th?

165 emptying out sure looks good for the Hawkeyes...of course, it also opens the door for other wrestlers too. One of these can be Joe Lee. It might actually help PSU narrow the gap a bit, even if Marinelli goes to the top of the podium, who is to say an improved Joe Lee gets a 5th or 6th?
How is 165 emptying out? According to multiple conspiracists, starocci is heading down to 165, so that means they are adding a National champ

That's why God invented grad school.

Regardless, point still stands: only 2 out of (Dean + Amine + Brucki) can compete this year. So adding Dean does not add points to their lineup vs. what they already had on hand.

Dean and Brucki both have shirts remaining, so I guess they could start Dean and sit Brucki. But that's marginal.

Either scenario does add points to 184 vs. their 2021 non-qualifier, so that could put them in range for #2 -- or in range for #1 with a number of breaks and injuries. Again, assuming Micic + Woods + Griffith, Ragusin holds 125, everybody improves, etc.
Re sitting Brucki: do grad students *ever* sit their first year, expecting to compete their *second* year in grad school? Seems really unlikely. Dean will be a junior next year (albeit a really old junior!).

Marinelli is a fantastic wrestler until mid-March...he is 5th, 7th and DNP at 3 NCAA tournaments. He is kind of like Michigan, highly regarded but just doesn't get the results when it matters. Maybe that changes next year, maybe not, Mekhi Lewis back for VT.

Marinelli is a fantastic wrestler until mid-March...he is 5th, 7th and DNP at 3 NCAA tournaments. He is kind of like Michigan, highly regarded but just doesn't get the results when it matters. Maybe that changes next year, maybe not, Mekhi Lewis back for VT.
Lewis is going 174.

Only thing tougher than the bull in February is the 8 seed in March

Lewis is going 174.
Thanks, did not know that. One observation, with all these Iowa guys coming back for a 6th and in one case a 7th year, each year you get older in your early-mid 20's, is another year the body still wants to grow...the weight cut for those guys will be a little harder next season.

I'm pretty confident that Marinelli will find a way to lose unless they change the rules and reward push outs.

I know some people suspect Marinelli struggles with the 165 cut and pacing himself for a 3 day tournament. He always looks good Day 1 (it is lesser opponents though) He thrives in the Big Ten tournament format since it's 2 days and he has one match the second day in the late afternoon.

NCAAs might not be purely a mental thing for him. I think he beats Griffith and Mekhi in a dual setting the 2 years he lost but a 3 day tournament is a different animal.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and 1AA
Re sitting Brucki: do grad students *ever* sit their first year, expecting to compete their *second* year in grad school? Seems really unlikely. Dean will be a junior next year (albeit a really old junior!).
Brucki's degree might be a factor in this. He was slated to graduate from Princeton this summer (2021) and has 1 year + shirt remaining. If his grad degree is only 1 yr, then he should wrestle now and forgo the shirt.

If it's 2 yrs, then there's a tradeoff. If he shirts this year, then he potentially gets athletic aid both years. If he wrestles this year, then he cannot get athletic aid in year 2 -- but maybe he gets a stipend if he continues with CKLV (though Michigan cannot promise such a stipend until he exhausts his eligibility).

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Thanks, did not know that. One observation, with all these Iowa guys coming back for a 6th and in one case a 7th year, each year you get older in your early-mid 20's, is another year the body still wants to grow...the weight cut for those guys will be a little harder next season.
no, at 26 you know your weight potential. That is your avg. wrestler btw not your average smalls, I mean college wrestler..

The body also isn’t as resilient. Little by little nicks take longer to heal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of them on pitch counts

The body also isn’t as resilient. Little by little nicks take longer to heal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of them on pitch counts
^^ In which Chickenman predicts:

s-l300.jpg

I'm Pretty sure Eierman and Kemerer will both be 7th year Seniors.

The crazy thing about this free year, eligibility wise our line-up next year will possibly be younger than it was this year. I can easily foresee 7 Fr, 1 So, 1 Jr and 1 Sr headed to Big Tens.

Last edited:
I'm Pretty sure both Eierman and Kemerer will both be 7th year Seniors.

The crazy thing about this free year, eligibility wise our line-up next year will possibly be younger than it was this year. I can easily foresee 7 Fr, 1 So, 1 Jr and 1 Sr headed to Big Tens.

Assuming no transfers, that's exactly what it'll be:

FR - RoHo, SVN, Boone, J Lee, CStar, Beard, Kerk
SO - AB
JR - RBY
SR - N Lee

Reactions: mjmirv
Along with Brucki, if Michigan lands both Griffith and Dean, do you guys think they will be the favorite to win next year over PSU and even Iowa??
No. It would mean they are in the running with Cornell and Iowa for the prized runner-up trophy.

Just an observation about Marinelli and his struggles at NCAAs.
First, at least in the last two tournaments he did have the bad luck of butting up against the weight's national champ in the QF.
Second, in spite of what a few HRers think and for whatever the reason in the QFs Marinelli spends more time pushing looking for a stall call than he does attacking looking to score. Against a high qulity opponent, wrestling to win is hard enough to accomplish. Split your concentration wrestling to not lose while pushing searching for stall calls can make a superior wrestler vulnerable.

First, at least in the last two tournaments he did have the bad luck of butting up against the weight's national champ in the QF.
Second, in spite of what a few HRers think and for whatever the reason in the QFs Marinelli spends more time pushing looking for a stall call than he does attacking looking to score. Against a high qulity opponent, wrestling to win is hard enough to accomplish. Split your concentration wrestling to not lose while pushing searching for stall calls can make a superior wrestler vulnerable.
Marinelli makes national champs.

I think his style of (tough) wrestling physically wears him down over the course of (3) days. He is a grinder & expends a lot of energy for these close bouts. Dual meets he is still the same physically but it doesn't catch up with him.

No official word, but there were rumors of an injury. The only time we saw him this year was the freestyle match against Brands where he got lit up. He didn't look right at all and he didn't go to U23s a few weeks later, so I kind of buy the banged up thing. His ceiling is way higher than Brands' imo.
I heard it was a bad reaction to his rabies shot...

I think his style of (tough) wrestling physically wears him down over the course of (3) days. He is a grinder & expends a lot of energy for these close bouts. Dual meets he is still the same physically but it doesn't catch up with him.
He doesn't lose in the QF on the third day. He loses the first match on the second day. The grind of wrestling two inferior opponents the day before is hardly exhausting.

Wow, a 27 year-old body isn't as resilient? What about the body of a 50, 60, or 70 year-old? No wonder orthopedic doctors are so busy.
I always thought an athlete was physically peaking in their late 20s. I guess the text books say something different nowadays. Damn surprising how good Dake and Taylor have become now they are soooo old.
You and I probably can't even swing a golf club anymore.

I always thought an athlete was physically peaking in their late 20s. I guess the text books say something different nowadays. Damn surprising how good Dake and Taylor have become now they are soooo old.
Do you remember hangovers at 20 vs hangovers in late 20s. Same concept at work.

Wow, a 27 year-old body isn't as resilient? What about the body of a 50, 60, or 70 year-old? No wonder orthopedic doctors are so busy.
I’ve always said they should set up mobile cortisone shot dispensaries at entrances to all ski resorts. They’d make a killing with day before appointments before hitting the slopes

Not only am I swinging golf clubs, but bats as well in a local over-45 softball league. At 65 (almost), I'm not even the oldest on my team :eek:. Funny that by seasons end, we can barely field a team due to all the muscle injuries (pulled, strained, and torn) :(.

I have been laying out in the sun all spring and my body is not getting any younger. I think Dake is FOS.
Given how meticulous he purports himself to be wrt self-care, I'd be shocked if Dake isn't on a Sheldon Cooper-esque bathroom schedule; meaning definitely NOT FOS. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT