ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
You have to root for this kid given the situation. He is a warrior, and I hope he sticks it in the Stanford AD's face.

Now to the important part. Where is he next year as a 4th year sophomore?

I can't help but notice how well he would slide right in to one of our largest 'oppotunities for improvement'.

1) I think I heard Stanford will honor all scholarships so he could stay just to get his degree and not wrestle, then target using his final years of eligibility in grad school somewhere else on close to a full ride.

2) Stanford under pressure could revive the program and he would stay

3) like Real Woods, finish up his degree by the end of summer then it's off to wherever, for that matter he could finish his 4th year achademically at whatever pace he wants virtually.

All of the above get him a Stangord degree which of I were in his position, I would consider a must.

I don't see Bartlett or SVN growing into a 165, neither do I see Facundo down there. So we have Joe Lee, Dunbar, Boone, Manville???, Maybe Baraclough, and off course there is my crazy idea of pushing a protential NC Starocci down, which sounds doable but only with respect to making room for Facundo.

I think it more likely that Brooks moves up on a year or two and Facundo slides in to 184. Yep don't ask me about Beard, other than to say when Bo moved up kids had to move out of the way.

So that leaves the real important questions:

Q1) Does Cael want him? Given he is 165 and has 3 years of eligibility left, to I think the answer is hell yes. He would immediately make us contenders with Iowa next year even if they bring back everyone.

Q2) Would he want to come to PSU? Who knows. Maybe he would rather go from Stanfotd to somewhere like Cornell for Grad school. Now there are some shingles for an office wall. He has already accomplished what he needs to do in wrestling. Then again, wrestling for Cael Sanderson is something anyone might want to carry forward as a lifetime achievement, not to mention the likely National Championships that go with it.

My revised must get list now includes: 1) Bouzakis 2) Shane Grifith

Some crackpot has Starocci cutting down to 65, so, if true, I doubt we need Griffith. You've gotten rid of Joe Lee and Beard (with AB moving up). Robbie appeared to tweak his shoulder, so he should definitely be next on the hit list. No reason we can't get Glory or Vito to give up an Ivy League degree to come here. Of course RBY could always cut down, Bartlett cut to 33, and SVN or Bouzakis cut to 41 after Nick Lee leaves. Sounds like a plan.

Some crackpot has Starocci cutting down to 65, so, if true, I doubt we need Griffith. You've gotten rid of Joe Lee and Beard (with AB moving up). Robbie appeared to tweak his shoulder, so he should definitely be next on the hit list. No reason we can't get Glory or Vito to give up an Ivy League degree to come here. Of course RBY could always cut down, Bartlett cut to 33, and SVN or Bouzakis cut to 41 after Nick Lee leaves. Sounds like a plan.

Uncalled for. Even with a grey shirt there is no room for Facundo on paper at some point. So someone is going to feel pain even if Facundo himself, but I dont think so.

It's ok if you don't acknowlede a challenge at 165, maybe we get a Cassar like jump in Joe's 4th year in the program. I beg to differ.

Insults aside, the reality of what is going on at Stanford and a potential National champ at 165 on the market is real. If you don't want to put any thought to the point of the post then why reply?

Last edited:
No reason for Vito to stay at Cornell and come here? You don’t know the relationship that NY coaches and wrestlers have with Koll. One that has Koll producing the second most National Champions since Cael arrived in State College. I would be shocked if that happened.

• Haha
Reactions: ClarencButthorn
Griffith and Woods both said they want to go to academically prestigious schools if they grad transfer. I would guess Shane goes to Princeton and Real goes to Michigan.

• Haha
Reactions: Lb4097
You have to root for this kid given the situation. He is a warrior, and I hope he sticks it in the Stanford AD's face.

Now to the important part. Where is he next year as a 4th year sophomore?

I can't help but notice how well he would slide right in to one of our largest 'oppotunities for improvement'.

1) I think I heard Stanford will honor all scholarships so he could stay just to get his degree and not wrestle, then target using his final years of eligibility in grad school somewhere else on close to a full ride.

2) Stanford under pressure could revive the program and he would stay

3) like Real Woods, finish up his degree by the end of summer then it's off to wherever, for that matter he could finish his 4th year achademically at whatever pace he wants virtually.

All of the above get him a Stangord degree which of I were in his position, I would consider a must.

I don't see Bartlett or SVN growing into a 165, neither do I see Facundo down there. So we have Joe Lee, Dunbar, Boone, Manville???, Maybe Baraclough, and off course there is my crazy idea of pushing a protential NC Starocci down, which sounds doable but only with respect to making room for Facundo.

I think it more likely that Brooks moves up on a year or two and Facundo slides in to 184. Yep don't ask me about Beard, other than to say when Bo moved up kids had to move out of the way.

So that leaves the real important questions:

Q1) Does Cael want him? Given he is 165 and has 3 years of eligibility left, to I think the answer is hell yes. He would immediately make us contenders with Iowa next year even if they bring back everyone.

Q2) Would he want to come to PSU? Who knows. Maybe he would rather go from Stanfotd to somewhere like Cornell for Grad school. Now there are some shingles for an office wall. He has already accomplished what he needs to do in wrestling. Then again, wrestling for Cael Sanderson is something anyone might want to carry forward as a lifetime achievement, not to mention the likely National Championships that go with it.

My revised must get list now includes: 1) Bouzakis 2) Shane Grifith

Shane Griffiths is a Bergen Catholic BOY! Rest assured that the Kid is using all his influence to bring Shane and Cael together. He and Robbie H. are really good friends so that may really help with the pull. I will put the darkhorse out there DUKE!! Duke is looking to give full schoolies to any decent wrestler not named Finesilver!

Reactions: Lb4097
Shane Griffiths is a Bergen Catholic BOY! Rest assured that the Kid is using all his influence to bring Shane and Cael together. He and Robbie H. are really good friends so that may really help with the pull. I will put the darkhorse out there DUKE!! Duke is looking to give full schoolies to any decent wrestler not named Finesilver!
Well if Iowa is going after O’Toole, I hope there’s a full court press on Griffith

The transfer portal has significantly benefited Iowa's point totals this tournament (30 points +). One could argue its the difference in a 1st place vs a 3rd place finish. I assume the Brands will continue to pursue these avenues as will all coaches look to improve their programs. If Cael and Co. believe there is a fit and a transfer comes together then I'm sure they will pursue it...(this comment is not specific to Griffith).

I'm also pulling for Griffith because it would be a neat story and quite an accomplishment under difficult circumstances. However, I doubt that Griffith winning would be "sticking it" in anyone's face. The people behind that decision are likely not real interested in how the Stanford wrestlers fare, and also are unlikely to reconsider the decision if a couple Stanford wrestlers do well at NCAAs. But it very well could provide extra motivation for Griffith.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Duke is now offering full scholarships? Interesting. This must new because as recently as 3 years ago even Jacob Kasper wasn’t on scholarship.

As much as I would love to bring in a national champ to plug a hole at 165, my real hope is that Griffith is wrestling at Stanford next year. The whole arena chanting "save Stanford wrestling" after Griffith won last night was my favorite non-PSU moment of the tournament.

Last edited:
From the scuttlebutt here in Jersey, RU appears in the best position if SU sustains their decision.

The Stanford situation is crazy. I hope, for the sake of kids like Griffith and Woods, and others on their team, not to mention fans/alumni, that something positive happens and they keep wrestling.

Uncalled for. Even with a grey shirt there is no room for Facundo on paper at some point. So someone is going to feel pain even if Facundo himself, but I dont think so.

It's ok if you don't acknowlede a challenge at 165, maybe we get a Cassar like jump in Joe's 4th year in the program. I beg to differ.

Insults aside, the reality of what is going on at Stanford and a potential National champ at 165 on the market is real. If you don't want to put any thought to the point of the post then why reply?
The problem is, that you make statements such as Carter dropping to 165 so many times, that people forget context, and that you're just pulling things out of your ass, and it becomes "something" that isn't there. I'll be completely honest. I thought as far back as last year that Carter was going to beat Kemmerer for the National Championship. And again, in all honesty, I thought he was going to win it, even after he lost to Washington. But when Kemmerer beat him in Iowa, I thought the gap was too big and he'd get 2nd. But to suggest he's not big enough or strong enough, or can comfortably make 165, I find absurd. So since we're asking questions, why start that rumor?
He blew through the best sprawl in the country for that last takedown. Are you convinced he's big enough for 174? He looks pretty freaking strong to me. But like AB, I think he's stronger than he looks. Kemmerer horsing him a little in a dual meet is far different than horsing him at the end of a 3 day tournament. I gather you've wrestled and should know this.
Is there any history of Cael making a National Champion, or going back to when you posted your theory, a high AA, dropping 10 lbs? Carter blew that theory out of the water, so now you're on Griffith, which I'll admit is more plausible. You set yourself up for the ball busting.

The Stanford situation is crazy. I hope, for the sake of kids like Griffith and Woods, and others on their team, not to mention fans/alumni, that something positive happens and they keep wrestling.
All statements from Stanford is they won’t, sad to say. Even the recent influx of donor won’t do it. Not to mention, I’d expect to keep the 35 wrestlers they would have to also keep 35ish from women’s team, unless cutting the 11 sports put them uneven in favor of women’s.

just for fun but it’s not gonna happen....have the team portal themselves to ArkansasLittle Rock!! :)

Does anyone know if Griffith put out final list of schools he was considering during his recruitment? I dont know why but was thinking PSU was on it but could be mistaking him for someone else.

Btw, I too would rather see Stanford keep the program.

But then Carter could move down..... ;-)

tenor.gif

Reactions: bmw199 and danoftw
All statements from Stanford is they won’t, sad to say. Even the recent influx of donor won’t do it. Not to mention, I’d expect to keep the 35 wrestlers they would have to also keep 35ish from women’s team, unless cutting the 11 sports put them uneven in favor of women’s.

just for fun but it’s not gonna happen....have the team portal themselves to ArkansasLittle Rock!! :)
True this ^^, but I'm eternally optimistic. While I haven't seen even one smoldering ember that would give anyone hope, I'm also not close enough to the program to say it absolutely can't happen. Have faith.

I think there is momentum, money and a few influential people pushing. Too bad someone huge like Tiger Woods isn't a wrestling fan. Nonetheless, it seems like the AD is getting exposed and adminstrators tend to be cowards despite the reputation here. I think a reconsideration is gaining steam despite the negative rhetoric. I hope the pressure remains unrelenting. An olympic year might help as well.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT