ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Worlds

I was impressed with the sportsmanship of our silver medalists. Thomas in particular has made great emotional strides in the past couple of years. J'Den has always been a warm human being.
gilman has always been a good loser actually. his problem was always trash talking during interviews and pre-match shenanigans. i always felt his sportsmanship issues were overblown. it was his personality that really rubbed people the wrong way.

Our boy azchief (hasn’t posted here in forever with his new or old nic) can’t handle the “this is the best version of Gilman” storyline. Drives him nuts
Remember them trying to laugh us off the board 6 or 7 years ago when we were telling them Caels next phase in his plan was to make the NLWC the nation's premier club?

There’s no reason our Greco program can’t have similar success, other than poor management.

we have more money and resources than just about anyone.

Go USA. Just being salty why I try to smoke some meat for the first try.
Funny you bring that up. Another time I was called an idiot over on HR when I suggested that using Cael and the NLWC to get our Grecco program on track. The fools over there couldn't grasp that i didn't mean Cael and Cody would coach Grecco. I meant they'd get the right people in place and manage it...using all the resources of the club. You know what, now that I think about it, I think that's eventually what's going to happen. :)

Reactions: hlstone
That surprises me. The Iranians on the mat forum made it sound like that wouldn’t happen either because Yazdani is just better than Ghasempour or because Yaz is so loved in Iran the coaches wouldn’t even consider it. If it happens it makes their team much worse. Having Yaz at 86kg and Ghasempour at 97kg is light years better than Ghasempour at 86kg and Mohamaddian at 97kg. On the mat forum someone also said that Ghasempour was 4kg bigger this year as last year he wasn’t a big 92. If that’s true getting to 86kg might be tough. I just don’t see it happening. Yaz or Ghasempour sitting is silly. Similar to Dake and JB but the Iranians have a solution that makes sense to have them both in the lineup

That surprises me. The Iranians on the mat forum made it sound like that wouldn’t happen either because Yazdani is just better than Ghasempour or because Yaz is so loved in Iran the coaches wouldn’t even consider it. If it happens it makes their team much worse. Having Yaz at 86kg and Ghasempour at 97kg is light years better than Ghasempour at 86kg and Mohamaddian at 97kg. On the mat forum someone also said that Ghasempour was 4kg bigger this year as last year he wasn’t a big 92. If that’s true getting to 86kg might be tough. I just don’t see it happening. Yaz or Ghasempour sitting is silly. Similar to Dake and JB but the Iranians have a solution that makes sense to have them both in the lineup
That was certainly my thought too.

Much of the tournament was pretty entertaining. DT was unstoppable, like he was swatting fly's on the way to the finals. Then he controlled the finals with counter-shots that derived a lot from DT's mat wrestling. Gilman looks like a piece of coiled steel. He's found a niche at the top of the world, and will probably remain there for a while.
Zain had a terrific tournament until he fell victim to the bane of freestyle, the leg lace. Make them stop and re-apply the hold, like any sane sport. Gene Mills taught us that!

One of the things that separates the Americans is our ability to pull out a folkstyle move when the going gets rough. Several of the women showed off their folk roots, too.
Those Japanese women are tough. If you like to watch good wrestling, watch them. I'd kinda like to see Susaki in Blue and White, if she could put on a few pounds. She looks like she knows her way around the mat.

On to Greco:
I told myself that my anti-Greco prejudice had to be wrong. So I watched an American wrestle. The two guys (the other might have been Indian?) each got a nasty look on their faces, then they leaned together and struck a pose. They stayed in that pose for about 5 1.2 minutes. I thought they were posing for a Greek statue. Yes, there were 3 points scored. One of them slipped and fell down and the other was awarded a 'takedown'. There was another point awarded, but I couldn't figure out why. They were both posing; maybe one of them wasn't posing hard enough? After 5 1/2 minutes, the American made a move and decked the guy. It was over in about 10 seconds. It would have been a better match if the 10 seconds had occurred 4 or 5 minutes earlier in the bout.

Thank you everyone for providing updates!

Is it just me or has Bajrang fallen off considerably over the last few years? It seems like right about the time he came and did his U.S. trip and wrestled Zain on the NLWC card he peaked, and after he lost, hasn't been the same.
One of his best takedowns was stepping on the other guy's foot and then getting to the leg. They made that illegal. That may be part of the reason.

Reactions: hlstone
You guys can make fun of Hawkeye fans if you want and TnT, but Iowa is an awesome place to be. That state has the friendliest people you can ever imagine and just real good people. Draw the line.
The Iowa football fans' atrocious display of disgusting sportmanship in the game versus PSU last year, combined with multiple instances of racist behavior being reported, keeps Iowa as one of my most despised fanbases.

You guys can make fun of Hawkeye fans if you want and TnT, but Iowa is an awesome place to be. That state has the friendliest people you can ever imagine and just real good people. Draw the line.
It is funny, I have had business dealings with people in Iowa and they are the best and nicest ever. I witnessed some terrible fans in person at the meet last year plus the football fan behavior was atrocious! Maybe they get a pack mentality when in large groups and the worst parts gets magnified.

It is funny, I have had business dealings with people in Iowa and they are the best and nicest ever. I witnessed some terrible fans in person at the meet last year plus the football fan behavior was atrocious! Maybe they get a pack mentality when in large groups and the worst parts gets magnified.
My extended family on both sides are from Iowa, both parents went to ISU. I have many stories, too long to go into here, about people from small towns in Iowa who would give you the shirt off their backs if they thought you needed it. One story brings me to tears. I have been to many places in this country and although some states are comparable (Wyoming), none has nicer people.

All that being said, the Brands brothers are in a different category. Maybe some fans get their energy from the coaches. But that’s not most people in Iowa.

Seth Gross down 3-0 to Harutyunyan (ARM) for bronze.

Gross has lost every exchange, now down 7-0. Gross is looking for offense off a Russian tie.

Now Flo's feed has disappeared.

Aaand we're back. Gross loses 12-0. Only Zilmer and Gross won't medal from the US team.

Last edited:
Good to see Higuchi back at this level. I really enjoy watching him and hope he beats this Iranian
Damn did he look good! His leg attacks are lights out

Reactions: nerfstate and Grass
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT